Gyarados is a pretty good lead IMO (OU RMT)

The Team
This is easily my most successful team. I was able to break low high 1400s to low 1500s. I then couldn't get any further due to people being too good and i'm hoping for help xD

The success of this team lies in the lead. I made it to start dealing damage right off the bat. After his rampage, i go to one of my many wall breakers and revenge killers. No one in this team is a setup sweeper except Gyarados, who's my lead. I decided against set-up sweepers because i don't want to lose tempo. If this choice becomes more serious, i'll resonsider it. I still can't seem to break the leaderboard because people are too good and i'm just not good enough >_<. So now i'm looking for improvement and hope one day i will break it haha.

ALL CHANGES WILL BE IN RED

Team building process:

I started with Gyarados because i wanted to base a team off of him.
I added in Salamence because i wanted an offensive team. Salamence is the #1 wallbreaker in the game and is needed for every offensive team IMO.

I added in Scizor to cover for Salamence's weakness. Gyarados also works well with Scizor so it's good synergy. Scizor is also the best scouter in the game.
I needed someone who has the power to own while absorbing electric attacks aimed at Gyarados. A revenge killer/tricker is also nice so Rotom instantly won. I chose Rotom-H for the lucario and scizor check. He can also absorb explosions and fighting attacks.

After covering Gyarados, i needed someone to cover Scizor. Scizor is just asking for fire attacks. Heatran was the choice because he just eats up fire attacks and can also carry Stealth Rock. He also takes the ice attacks aimed at Salamence if Scizor isn't there, or vice versa.

Finally a spinner is nice so i chose Starmie. It can kill late game and also spin away hazards for my Salamence/Schizor/Heatran.

Gyarados@Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Att/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Dragon Dance
Substitute

Description:
My new favorite lead. This thing is awesome. He is able to setup on most if not all of the common leads. The only thing that shuts me down is tauntdactyl and tauntazelfs. For every other lead, i'm almost gaurenteed a dragon dance. I chose Waterfall+Stone Edge for it's amazing coverage. Waterfall gets STAB, a nice flinch rate, and is able to damage leadnapes, leadheatran, leadhippowdon, leadttars, a lot of things. Stone Edge is for the Salamence, Zapdos, and other Gyarados that might switch in. It's also so i don't get walled by Vaporeon. Substitute+Lum Berry is where he really shines. Against status pokemons, i DD on the status move (ie: Thunder Wave, WoW, Sleep Power, etc). After the DD, i substitute when they try to status me again. This leads to another free DD, then i proceed to sweep. Substitute also really helps on exploders like Metagross or Azelf.

EVs: Simple spread. 252 att to deal as much damage as possible. The 252 Speed+Jolly Nature is to outspeed every nonscarfed pokemon, even base 130s (This REALLY helps against Specsjolt). This has saved me loads of times since i switched from Adamant to Jolly. The 4 def is just leftover Ev.

Salamence@Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs:
16 Att/ 240 SpA/ 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Draco Meteor
Outrage
Earthquake
Flame Thrower
Description: He's my wallbreaker #1 and the BEST wallbreaker in the game. He always does something important. On some really good days, he's killed 4 of the opponents pokemons by himself before. On his bad days, he only takes 1. He averages around 2 kills per game. He makes the necessary openings for my team to get inside. I wouldn't trade him for anything. Draco Meteor almost kills anything that doesn't resist it, and dents those who resist it. I think Draco Meteor even OHKOs Zapdos after SR damage. Outrage is for a "physical Draco Meteor". I usually save Outrage for when i'm about to die from LO damage and to just deal fast damage. Earthquake for fire types and for the steels that resist my dragon moves. Flamethrower is for the non-heatran steels. Noone likes being repeatedly nailed with Powerful dragon attacks. I just need to be careful when I Outrage because people usually send in steels so xD

EVs: Max speed with a + nature first so he can at least speed tie other base 100s. The rest of his EVs are allocated between Attack and Special Attack. The 16 Attack EVs is so he can KO Blissey after a Draco Meteor on the switch in+SR damage.

I'm testing between Flamethrower/Fire blast and Outrage/Roost. He seems to die too fast so i think Roost may be an option.

Heatran@Shucca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Att/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Stealth Rock
Explosion

Description: My SRer and fire absorber. He absorbs the fire attacks aimed at Scizor and uses it as a free boost. He is also the member on my team that carries SR. SR is not a priority for my team though, because i don't like using a turn just to set it up and to slow my momentum. Sometimes if i know my opponent will switch and i can't hit it for a lot of damage with Heatran, i'll sneak in a SR. Fire Blast on him because it's the strongest Fire Attack he has not named Overheat. Earth Power is to deal with other Heatrans and steels. Explosion is to end his life with a bang. I usually explode on a wall if they think they can wall Heatran. Pretty Standard Heatran. Heatran also absorbs ice attacks if Scizor is unavaible.

EVs: Really standard EVs.

Scizor@Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 HP/ 252 Att/ 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
Bullet Punch
Super Power
U-Turn
Pursuit

Description: Scizor is my revenge killer late game and scout early game. He also walls the enemy dragon/ice type moves from Salamence. I think y'all have seen enough of scizor to know his powers. He traps enemy Ghosts/Latias with pursuit. This is very useful for removing key threats. He can also clean up with bullet punch. Scizor+BP is a really reliable check to a lot of the metagame that threaten me, most noticble Salamence and Ttar. Super Power 1 htis Blissey, Heatran, Magnezone, and others. U-turn lets him take big chunks out of enemy pokes while scouting.

Evs: Max attack is always needed. The HP lowers residual damage and the 12 Spe is so i can beat other Scizors in a speed tie and damage first.

My team currently lacks a set-up sweeper so i might make this scizor into a SD Scizor.

Pretty Standard stuff

Starmie
@Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Rapid Spin

Description: Starmie is the rapid spinner that makes Salamence last just a little bit longer. I originally had thunderbolt but i decided to replace it for RS. This actually helps me to also beat stall. Hydro Pump is his main attack when not resisted. It takes huge chunks out of a lot of pokemons and is able to OHKO pokemon that Surf can't (Most notably Rotom and Ttar). Ice Beam is to keep the pesky dragons in check since Starmie outspeeds every non scarfed/+1 DDed dragon in OU. Grass Knot is for the Swamperts and occasional ground types i see. Rapid Spin again, is simply to beat stall and keep rocks away from Salamence.

Evs: Simple spread. Nothing new.

I might add in recover and take away Grass Knot/Ice beam if i can find a good reason to make Starmie last longer.

Rotom-H@Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs:4 Hp/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Shadow Ball
Thunder Bolt
Overheat
Trick

Description: Self explanatory IMO. He's my revenge killer that keeps dangerous +1 DD Gyarados in check. Shadow Ball hits other ghosts and psychics hard. Overheat is there to keep the +1 SD Lukes in check. Without Rotom, it can destroy my team after a SD. Trick is there as a last resort to royally screw over Blissey, Curselaxes, Crocunes, or other setupers/walls.

Evs: standard scarfer EVs.

Yep, this is my team.

Crappy non animated threat list

Red=hard Orange=medium Blue=chilled
Threat list:
Aerodactyl: Not much of a threat. I guess Rotom
Alakazam: People still use this? >_>
Azelf: If it's lead and a nontaunt version, Gyarados can handle it. Otherwise Scizor or Rotom
Blissey: Rotom+trick=gg
Breloom: Hmm...rotom, starmie, scizor, salamence, yeah xD
Bronzong: If it's a lead, Gyarados>>>>Brozong. Otherwise i use Scizor U-turn, Heatran, or Rotom.
Celebi: Scizor or Rotom
Cresselia: Scizor or Rotom. If my Gyarados still has the lum berry to take the twave, then gyarados
Donphan: Gyarados or Starmie
Dragonite: Salamence outspeeds it easily.
Dugtrio: never had to face one so i wouldn't know. I assume scizor
Dusknoir: Scizor or Rotom
Electivire: it sucks
Empoleon: Gives me trouble. Rotom.
Flygon: Scizor
Forretress: Salamence, Rotom, you name it.
Gengar: Scizor, Rotom, etc
Gliscor: Gives me trouble. Usually i just use Gyarados or starmie
Gyarados: TB with Rotom
Heatran: EQ with salamence.
Heracross: Scizor >that >_>
Hippowdon: Starmie xD
Infernape: Hard. Usually starmie but i end up losing pokes to it.
Jirachi: If it's a scarf chi that tricks, i switch into mence to get the scarf, otherwise i twave with gyarados. If it's a nonscarf flincher, then ill switch into heatran.
Jolteon: Trouble :(
Kingdra: Not much trouble.
Latias: Scizor or Rotom
Lucario: Mence, gyara, and rotom.
Machamp: Never been a lot of trouble. I can switch to rotom to take the dpunch.
Magnezone: Bad if it traps Scizor. Otherwise it's easy.
Mamoswine: Scizor
Metagross: If it's lead, Gyarados wins. otherwise heatran.
Ninjask: lol BP team
Porygon-Z: Never had much trouble. I assume Scizor is good.
Rhyperior: Idk, a lot of things work on him.
Rotom: Rotom or Scizor. I have some trouble against the substitute variant.
Salamence: Scizor can check it. So can starmie. I don't have a real "counter"
Scizor: My worst nightmare, i guess flamethrower with mence. If gyarados is alive then YAY <3
Smeargle: Everything works >_>
Snorlax: Trick it on the curse then intelligently rape from there
Starmie: Scizor if trapped on a bad move. if it's the LO version, i use rotom to outspeed.
Suicune: Trick then TB
Swampert: Grass Knot on Starmie
Tentacruel: TB with starmie
Togekiss: Scizor
Tyrannitar: Gyarados, Scizor, Starmie, a lot of things.
Vaporeon: Trick then TB
Weavile: Scizor
Zapdos: Salamence with DM OHKOs after SR.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
well in that case, I suggest running a chuca berry on heatran, it allows it to set up stealth rocks more safely while also allowing you to take down your fellow heatran. fellow heatrans will all predict scarftran, and think u'll switch out after using fire blast. but to their surprise, they get shucad and earth powered.

well in that case, I suggest running a chuca berry on heatran, it allows it to set up stealth rocks more safely while also allowing you to take down your fellow heatran. fellow heatrans will all predict scarftran, and think u'll switch out after using fire blast. but to their surprise, they get shucad and earth powered.
Hmm i'll look into that. Thanks!

Oh and to further elaborate on my leadgyarados, his main strength is the lum berry+substitute.

New World Order

Licks Toads
As well, 3 major fire moves is outdoing it. I suggest running Leaf Storm onto Rotom instead, which allows you to run thunderbolt on starmie. as for your jolteon problem, i suggest you u-turn with scizor to either land a big hit or scout, then if jolteon stays, send in heatran.

As well, 3 major fire moves is outdoing it. I suggest running Leaf Storm onto Rotom instead, which allows you to run thunderbolt on starmie. as for your jolteon problem, i suggest you u-turn with scizor to either land a big hit or scout, then if jolteon stays, send in heatran.
I see. I need overheat on Rotom though to keep +1 SD Lucarios in check. I'll def try the shucca berry though.

I can always put hidden power grass on heatran and add tbolt on starmie but i think that would remove one of Heatran's best attacks.

New World Order

Licks Toads
hmm... i see your point with rotom, i guess the starmie should stay the way it is unless you decide to change heatran into the offensive type (which loses you stealth rock)

Gyara can lead, but change it to this set:

Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk) | Leftovers
156 HP / 108 Atk / 100 Def / 144 Spe
-Taunt
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge

Taunt is superior to Lum + Sub for several reasons. Lum + Sub's main purpose is to be anti-status, but Taunt prevents the use of Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, and Toxic anyway. In addition, Taunt can be used to prevent phazing, which means this set does better in the face of Skarmory and Swampert than most Gyara. As this gyara is in the lead position, Taunt can also serve to prevent slower, bulkier leads such as Hippowdon and Metagross from setting up Stealth Rock, which means that Salamence and Gyara will have an easier time going to town on the opponent. The EV spread is well thought out; here's a short list of what it does, taken from the analysis:

"The total EVs give 370 HP / 344 Atk / 219 Def / 234 Spe. 156 HP ensures that it never is 2HKOed by Timid Life Orb Heatran's Fire Blast with Stealth Rock and Leftovers taken into account. 108 Atk allows Gyarados to always 2HKO 252 Def / 148 HP Bold Blissey, factoring Stealth Rocks and Leftovers. 144 Spe is to outspeed Gengar after a Dragon Dance. 100 Defense is EV leftover, but it's really necessary to tank hits from the likes of Lucario, Scizor, and Heracross."

Gyara can lead, but change it to this set:

Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk) | Leftovers
156 HP / 108 Atk / 100 Def / 144 Spe
-Taunt
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge

Taunt is superior to Lum + Sub for several reasons. Lum + Sub's main purpose is to be anti-status, but Taunt prevents the use of Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, and Toxic anyway. In addition, Taunt can be used to prevent phazing, which means this set does better in the face of Skarmory and Swampert than most Gyara. As this gyara is in the lead position, Taunt can also serve to prevent slower, bulkier leads such as Hippowdon and Metagross from setting up Stealth Rock, which means that Salamence and Gyara will have an easier time going to town on the opponent. The EV spread is well thought out; here's a short list of what it does, taken from the analysis:

"The total EVs give 370 HP / 344 Atk / 219 Def / 234 Spe. 156 HP ensures that it never is 2HKOed by Timid Life Orb Heatran's Fire Blast with Stealth Rock and Leftovers taken into account. 108 Atk allows Gyarados to always 2HKO 252 Def / 148 HP Bold Blissey, factoring Stealth Rocks and Leftovers. 144 Spe is to outspeed Gengar after a Dragon Dance. 100 Defense is EV leftover, but it's really necessary to tank hits from the likes of Lucario, Scizor, and Heracross."
Ohh nice i've heard of bulky gyarados. the main problem i have is Roserade leads usually try to put me to sleep :(

Ohh nice i've heard of bulky gyarados. the main problem i have is Roserade leads usually try to put me to sleep :(
You can do a Lum Berry on a Lead Bulky-Dos to avoid that, DD and then Taunt. This would also help against T-Wave Jirachi and Taunt also helps stop Stealth Rocks.

In fact, for a lead, this might be a better move set:

@ Lum Berry
Taunt
Dragon Dance
Substitute
Waterfall

Why? Lum stops faster status leads as you DD then Taunt. Sub stops Explosions from Metagross after you Taunt it turn 1 and DD + Waterfall lets you sweep a little.

Be sure to EV to outrun Azelf after a DD and invest in some Special Defense to avoid massive Psychic damage.

Between Intimidate, priority resistance, Stealth Rock prevention and the ability to do some damage to everything but Vaporeon means you should do well against everything even if you just die and prevent Stealth Rocks (while taking them with you).

Of course this is all theorymon, try it out if you think it's worth it.

If you think that that Gyarados would give you trouble with status, then I suggest the following changes:

252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk) | Levitate
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Discharge
-Will-O-Wisp

Rest Talk Rotom gives your team a way to take status easily while dishing burns and paralysis back. Incase you don't know, Discharge has 30% paralysis rate (as opposed to 10% for Thunderbolt) with a slight (but noticeable) drop in power (80 as opposed to 95). Will-O-Wisp halves pokemon's attack stat, making any physical attacker dead weight for the rest of the match. This Rotom has about equal Def and SpD stats. It also provides a useful check to Scizor, Gyarados, Metagross, and non-Crunch Lucario (Crunch Lucario is handled by Gyarados, however with the bulkier spread).

4 HP / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk) | Natural Cure
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Trick

Choice Scarf Starmie can be used if you feel the need to replace your Choice Scarf Rotom. Starmie is quick enough to outpace all Salamence after a DD and OHKO with Ice Beam. It can outspeed and OHKO Gyarados after a DD with Thunderbolt. Surf is obligatory STAB.

If you think that that Gyarados would give you trouble with status, then I suggest the following changes:

252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk) | Levitate
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Discharge
-Will-O-Wisp

Rest Talk Rotom gives your team a way to take status easily while dishing burns and paralysis back. Incase you don't know, Discharge has 30% paralysis rate (as opposed to 10% for Thunderbolt) with a slight (but noticeable) drop in power (80 as opposed to 95). Will-O-Wisp halves pokemon's attack stat, making any physical attacker dead weight for the rest of the match. This Rotom has about equal Def and SpD stats. It also provides a useful check to Scizor, Gyarados, Metagross, and non-Crunch Lucario (Crunch Lucario is handled by Gyarados, however with the bulkier spread).

4 HP / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk) | Natural Cure
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Trick

Choice Scarf Starmie can be used if you feel the need to replace your Choice Scarf Rotom. Starmie is quick enough to outpace all Salamence after a DD and OHKO with Ice Beam. It can outspeed and OHKO Gyarados after a DD with Thunderbolt. Surf is obligatory STAB.
Hmm nice changes. I like some of it but i'm scared i'll lose to stall a lot more often if i drop the RS.

I recommend running Jolly+168 Speed EVs on your lead Gyara to outspeed all non-scarfed base 130s with +speed nature and 252 EVs in speed, basically it outspeeds Jolteon which is always nice.

I recommend running Jolly+168 Speed EVs on your lead Gyara to outspeed all non-scarfed base 130s with +speed nature and 252 EVs in speed, basically it outspeeds Jolteon which is always nice.
My speed can already outspeed all base 130s. If i reduce the speed EVs to 168, do i put the leftovers into hp?

Just use the BulkyDos suggested above and give it lum berry. Sub isn't as useful as Stone Edge as being able to hit Zapdos and co. helps quite a bit. Once you manage to Taunt leadGross, you should just switch to Rotom-h who will take very little damage from his attacks and can block Explosion. Rotom-h seems pretty important so I would suggest changing the EV spread to 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe to allow him to take hits better. He's still able to get the needed KOs against things like Gyarados and Forretress.

Good luck

Just use the BulkyDos suggested above and give it lum berry. Sub isn't as useful as Stone Edge as being able to hit Zapdos and co. helps quite a bit. Once you manage to Taunt leadGross, you should just switch to Rotom-h who will take very little damage from his attacks and can block Explosion. Rotom-h seems pretty important so I would suggest changing the EV spread to 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe to allow him to take hits better. He's still able to get the needed KOs against things like Gyarados and Forretress.

Good luck
Hmm, so the SpA wouldn't make a difference?

24 hour bump and more results.

I tested lead tauntados and it gave me more trouble than good. I was able to taunt more SRs but it made me have to switch to Rotom to take the explosion, which made me an easy target for Tyranitar.

I figure substitute is good and and speed surprises a lot of people who think they can revenge kill me with a LO/Specsjolt and get outspeed and OHKOed with a +1 waterfall :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)