Gen 2 Gyarados (UU) [QC 2/2] [GP 1/1]

[OVERVIEW]
Gyarados has several traits that make it a solid choice in GSC UU: an unusual typing that grants it useful STAB attacks and resistances, the uncommon combination of high Attack and high Special Defense, and a unique and varied movepool. Its immunity to Spikes and Earthquake is great in a metagame where Ground-types such as Nidoqueen and Piloswine are common, and its resistance to Water alongside its access to Thunder makes it a solid check to the tier's prominent Water-types such as Slowbro and Blastoise. Moreover, its coverage and bulk make it an adequate check to Scyther and allow it to do just enough damage to the tier's bulkier foes that it can sometimes be difficult to deal with. What prevents Gyarados from being a top-tier Pokemon is its crippling weakness to Electric-type attacks, which are sadly a very common sight in the tier. Its low Special Attack stat also means that it has trouble breaking through bulkier Pokemon like Granbull and Slowking. Furthermore, if it lacks Rest or Heal Bell support, then paralysis is highly problematic, as once paralyzed it has very low chances of beating Moonlight Nidoqueen, one of the most common Pokemon in the tier.

[SET]
name: All-out Offensive
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Thunder
move 3: Double-Edge / Roar
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Flying
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=============
This set aims to take full advantage of Gyarados's offensive stats and movepool. Once Gyarados has been brought in on a predicted Earthquake or resisted attack such as Surf from Slowbro or Blastoise, it can fire off the attack that its trainer believes will deal the most damage to the Pokemon it will face that turn—Hydro Pump hits Nidoqueen for a 2HKO and scares out most other Ground-types, Thunder hits most Water-types fairly hard and can inflict paralysis, Double-Edge does solid neutral damage off Gyarados's impressive Attack stat, and Hidden Power Ground is the most powerful option against Electric-types such as Magneton and Electabuzz while also hitting Haunter hard on the switch. Very few Pokemon can handle this combination of attacks for long, with the notable exception of Grass-types. Hidden Power Flying is a STAB attack that can be used as an alternative, 2HKOing not only the aforementioned Grass-types but also Scyther and Pinsir, two dangerous Swords Dance users. However, dropping Hidden Power Ground leaves Gyarados without an option to 2HKO Magneton and also causes it to miss 3HKOs on Ampharos and Lanturn. Lastly, if a phazer is absent from your lineup, Gyarados makes for a solid Roar user that can threaten Scyther and potentially disrupt Speed passing attempts from Girafarig.

Team Options
===========
This Gyarados set functions best on bulky offensive teams that run Nidoqueen for its typing synergy and Pokemon that can absorb status and hits like Hypno and Slowking. Spikes help both Gyarados and Nidoqueen punish the switches they force more effectively, so Qwilfish is also a desirable teammate. As Gyarados and Nidoqueen can both struggle to deal with Curse RestTalk Granbull and Spikes are of great importance to this kind of team's success, Haunter makes for another solid choice with its immunity to Rapid Spin and Return. It also has great offensive synergy with Gyarados, as its Explosion can be used to take down Gyarados checks like Ampharos and Hypno. Gyarados also makes for a decent recipient of Scyther's Swords Dance boosts, as it can take many special hits quite well, unlike other physical attackers.

[SET]
name: Rest
move 2: Hidden Power Flying / Thunder / Double-Edge
move 3: Roar / Thunder / Sleep Talk
move 4: Rest

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
============
Rest Gyarados aims to take advantage of its high Special Defense and Spikes immunity to become a more reliable long-term check to bulky Water- and Psychic-types such as Slowbro and Hypno, two Pokemon that can be difficult for offensive teams to switch into due to their access to status moves and scarcely resisted STAB attacks. Hydro Pump is necessary to 2HKO Nidoqueen and threaten Granbull. Hidden Power Flying is the preferred secondary attack to allow Gyarados to deal with top threat Scyther more consistently. However, Thunder can also be used as a less effective option against Scyther while maintaining a KO threat on Blastoise and Slowbro, both of which could otherwise safely attempt to PP stall Gyarados. Double-Edge can be chosen as an option that doesn't sacrifice coverage against Lanturn and Ampharos, but with the set's defensive incline, generally these Pokemon are better dealt with by switching out or using Roar as they enter the field. Roar is a strong option that can be used to both offensively pressure opposing teams with Spikes up and to phaze stat-boosting foes. Alternatively, Gyarados can utilize Sleep Talk to reduce its downtime while asleep and give it the ability to absorb sleep effectively, although this limits its offensive potential. It should also be noted that other Water-types such as Slowking and Slowbro tend to make for better RestTalk users, as they fare better against Nidoqueen and Granbull and are less crippled by Thunder Wave. However, Gyarados has the advantage of Spikes immunity and a better matchup against Scyther.

Team Options
============
This Gyarados set requires support against Electric-types like Ampharos, so Ground-types such Nidoqueen and Piloswine are welcome teammates. Hypno and Ampharos are other useful choices that can easily stomach the Psychic- and Electric-type coverage that many of Gyarados's checks rely on. Chansey can be a useful teammate with Heal Bell, particularly if Gyarados lacks Sleep Talk. Qwilfish is handy for Spikes, which allow Gyarados to pose a greater offensive threat. It is a good idea to use Gyarados alongside a Pokemon that resists Normal, as Granbull and Dodrio have powerful STAB attacks that Gyarados cannot withstand for long, even with Rest. Magneton is a good check to mono-attacking Granbull and also checks Psychic-types. Despite its overlapping weakness to Electric, Omastar is one of the safest checks to the two Normal-type powerhouses.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Zap Cannon can be used in place of Thunder to increase the odds of landing paralysis on checks such as Mr. Mime and Kadabra, although its low accuracy makes it a much less effective tool against the tier's bulky Water-types, so the trade-off is generally not worth it. Substitute can be used in place of Hidden Power Ground to improve Gyarados's matchup against Electric-types that rely on Thunder and take advantage of or block paralysis. Swagger is an option that can be used in combination with Substitute to help Gyarados break past bulky foes like Hypno and Blastoise, but its lack of consistency generally means it isn't worth it unless paralysis can be spread beforehand. Gyarados could use Surf over Hydro Pump, but it misses a crucial guaranteed 2HKO on Nidoqueen so is generally not worth it.

Checks and Counters
=================
**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Electabuzz, Ampharos, Lanturn, and Magneton can OHKO Gyarados with their STAB Electric-type attacks. Gyarados can hit them for a 3HKO on the switch with Hidden Power Ground, however. Magneton also risks a potential OHKO from Hidden Power Ground variants.

**Psychic-types**: Most Psychic-types have a favorable matchup against Gyarados thanks to their access to Electric-type moves and lack of weaknesses to Gyarados's attacks. Hypno is very difficult for Gyarados to get past and can wear it down, inflict status on it, or set up a screen. Unlike Slowbro, Slowking is not 3HKOed by Thunder and can therefore take Gyarados on and wear it down with STAB Psychic or paralyze it. Mr. Mime and Kadabra take heavy damage from Double-Edge and Hidden Power Flying but threaten Gyarados with their Electric-type coverage.

**Grass-types**: Jumpluff and Bellossom wall Gyarados if it lacks Hidden Power Flying and can inflict status on it and wear it down with Leech Seed. However, they are both 2HKOed by Hidden Power Flying if Gyarados has it.

**Normal-types**: Granbull and bulkier Normal-types like Lickitung lack weaknesses to Gyarados's attacks and are bulky enough that Gyarados fails to reliably 3HKO them. Granbull immediately threatens Gyarados back with its powerful STAB Return and can potentially stall Gyarados out of Hydro Pump with RestTalk; however, it does risk a 3HKO from Gyarados, especially if Spikes are up. Chansey can also take Gyarados on somewhat decently thanks to Soft-Boiled, although if it lacks Toxic and Counter, it may run out of Soft-Boiled PP before it can take Gyarados down. If Gyarados lacks Hidden Power Flying, the high recoil from Double-Edge will at least make Gyarados think twice about trying to take Chansey down.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Earthworm, 15210]]
- Quality checked by: [[Diophantine, 370164], [Century Express, 234737]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073]]

Last edited:

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I agree with what Earthworm said about Set 1. You don't really need MiracleBerry for anything, as Gyarados isn't a setup sweeper and should not be staying in on an awake Slowbro/Slowking/Bellossom which can potentially paralyze it. DEdge is required for a ton of different reasons, Return is just too weak. Zap Cannon is also quite bad since the premier physical wall of the tier is Slowbro and you want to hit it as hard and accurately as possible. Gyara's Speed is above average for the tier, you don't need to paralyze things (and if your team revolves around para, there are far better pokemon to spread it).

I think Set 2 should be removed entirely. Gyarados only functions in GSC UU as a mixed attacker. It needs all the coverage in its arsenal to be viable against the likely combination of Slowbro/Slowking + other tank (Granbull/Bellossom etc.) which will be present at minimum in most teams. By dropping two of its four attacks, you either prevent it from being able to break through a crucial tank, or you hamstring its ability to threaten out opposing offensive threats.

For Other Options, I'd only list Roar and HP Flying. Curse is terrible, you want Gyara to outspeed everything that it already does. Toxic only forces things to Rest, and there are so many RestTalkers in the tier that it's not worth it at all. Flail/Reversal require too much setup and simply aren't powerful enough without STAB.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Gyarados really seems like a Pokemon that would be a really good Pokemon in OU. It's got amazing stats (sans that awful 60 special attack)-being tied with Snorlax, Kingdra, and Blissey for the 4th highest base stat total outside of Ubers, a very nice typing (watch out for Thunderbolt though), and a decent enough movepool. It can also switch in on earthquake (which is everywhere) and takes no damage from spikes. This Pokemon strikes fear into a good chunk of the meta just because of how amazing its coverage is. So why is it UU? It's simple, Dragonite outclasses it in almost every way. Still, with Dragonite banished to BL, Gyarados can do whatever it desires with nearly nothing stopping it.
I think mentioning a Pokemon's viability in a tier that you are not writing an analysis for is pretty unnecessary, especially one as long as this.

Gyarados can do whatever it desires with nearly nothing stopping it.
What do you mean? This would imply it's one of the best Pokemon in the tier which, while subjective, I confidently would be disagreed by the entire playerbase.

which has a grand total of 3 good moves
A bit too subjective for my liking.

rely on its pathetic special attack, which obviously won't be killing anything fresh off the bat (even with a crit).
Demonstrably incorrect: Gyarados Hydro Pump vs. Nidoqueen on a critical hit: 418-492 (109.1 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(as well as keep it away from anything you even suspect has Thunderbolt)
What if you beat it one-on-one anyway? You've already mentioned the threat of Electric-type attacks.

this little thing will be a big asset to your team, and you won't regret that decision.
Sounds more like you're trying to sell it to someone as opposed to analysing it. Also, why do you refer to it as "little thing"? It's a big boi.

This might just look like a copy of its OU set, but it also works really well in UU.
Again, no need to mention OU.

hitting just about anything not called Haunter hard
Gyarados Double-Edge vs. Omastar: 43-51 (12.5 - 14.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Gyarados Double-Edge vs. Kabutops: 48-57 (14.8 - 17.6%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
Gyarados Double-Edge vs. Slowbro: 96-113 (24.4 - 28.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hydro Pump is the obligatory water STAB, 2HKOing Nidoqueen.
Could mention other uses like allowing it to beat Sandslash one-on-one, for example.

Hidden Power Ground is used to screw over Electrics such as Ampharos and Electabuzz.
And the Rock and Poison types. Also, how does it "screw over" them? (which btw I would use a different phrase).

[SET]

Set 2: RestTalk
Item: Leftovers
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power Flying
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

[SET COMMENTS]
This set just basically tries to maximize this thing's longevity, and can be more of a mid-game bulky attacker as opposed to a late-game cleaner. STAB attacks are used since it needs all the power it can get out of its slots. 95/79/100 defenses means it's not dying too soon.
You haven't discussed why this set is useful. Isn't this completely walled by many Pokemon in this tier? Absorbing status and stalemating Slowbro (unless drops) seem to be its only saving grace, but there are many more viable options for these roles. Would rather this just be an other option.

[Other Options]
The only other options here are Hidden Power Flying for STAB and Roar for phazing.
How about Zap Cannon and Substitute? Perhaps you could go into more detail as to what the other options do.

Ampharos, which Gyarados can't do much to (HP ground is only a 3HKO on Amphy)
Contradicting where you said HP Ground "screws over Electric-types".

Gyarados also really hates being paralyzed, as this makes it more vulnerable to getting hit by an electric move
I would say that it limits its speed, making it a lot easier to counter.

The RestTalk can't even do anything about it as once it's paralyzed, it's basically a free switch in for an opposing Electabuzz to kill it.
Incorrect - you Rest off the paralysis and switch out to your Electabuzz counter.

You also need to include Team Options for Gyarados.

Last edited:
I just got PMed about this, people want this analysis completed?
lolk.
I'll see what I can do over this week.

UPDATE: 11/11/2019 5:10pm
I updated it, somehow. I have no idea what other team options could be, so if anyone has any mons please let me know.

Last edited:

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
I know there's a lot of stuff, but I'll try to cover all the important points:
Overview: The overwiew needs to be more informative. It doesn't need to be something absurd, but it should be straightforward and cohesive. You can mention its solid offensive coverage turns it into a respectable mixed attacker / wallbreaker, while its typing and bulk allows it to shine as an offense enabler against the main defensive bulky-waters of the tier. Also, i'd mention its lack of a strong STAB and poor Special Attack as a drawback, since these flaws prevents Gyarados from being a true powerhouse in the tier.

Set: Looking good, but I'd slash Hidden Power Flying with Hidden Power Ground. Awesome coverage vs. Bellossom & Jumpluff, and it's the only move that truly beats Scyther in a 1v1. (To be honest I consider HP Flying better than Ground but it's personal bias, i'll talk about it with Worms later)

Set Comments: On set comments, you can add Hidden Power Flying's main targets (Bellossom, Jumpluff), and mention it can offensively check threats such as Scyther and Pinsir. I'd expand the Thunder description, mainly because it's not a surprise move - it's a standard / solid coverage for a lot of bulky-waters of the tier (you already mentioned Slowbro, which is good), but i'd mention Omastar, Qwilfish, Blastoise and opposing Gyarados as well.

Team Options: On Team Options, there are a few good partners. Sinergy-wise, Nidoqueen is the most straightforward one, covering Gyarados' Electric weakness, while Nido can take advantage of one of Gyarados' most notable traits - its natural offensive presence vs. Slowbro, which is more than welcome for Nidoqueen. Qwilfish should be mentioned here as well - as a Mixed Attacker, it enjoys Spikes support to reach a lot of important benchmarks (Hydro Pump safely 3HKOes Granbull; Double-Edge safely 3HKOes Hypno; great damage output vs. Slowbro overall). I'd add Scyther as a teammate as well, Gyarados forces a lot of defensive checks to Rest (which gives Scyther more opportunities to SD + BP), while a BP'd Gyarados is a threat and half, beating Slowbroking and Granbull with greater ease.

Other Options: Roar should be the 1st mention IMO. It increases the amount of counterplay vs. Scyther, while being a convenient choice vs. Baton Pass Chains and Politoed. I agree with Lavos on RestTalk, ST Gyarados is definitely outclassed by many of the Bulky-waters of the tier (hell, even Blastoise does a better job vs. Sandslash, and it should be one of Gyarados' main perks!). I'd mention Surf as an OO, it's not a good option tbh, but it improves Gyarados' performance against SubSD Sandslash.

Checks and Counters: C&C doesn't look informative at all, if you want a good skeleton, I'd suggest something like this:
-----------------------------------------------------------​
Electric-types: I'd give a special emphasis to Ampharos, because it doesn't take too much damage from Hidden Power Ground, and ST gives it extra resilience against Gyarados. Electabuzz / Electrode / Magneton should be mentioned here of course. I'd mention the pros & cons of each check (e: Electabuzz and Electrode lack consistent recovery, while Magneton is limited to HP Flying variants). I believe Lanturn deserves a mention here as well.

Grass-types: Mention Bellossom and Jumpluff here, both can check and cripple Gyarados with Leech Seed + status (but don't forget to mention they're limited to HP Ground variants).

RestTalk Users: IMO, Slowking should be the #1 mention - it's the perfect check under this criteria, since Gyarados can't 3HKO it at all (barring crit), and it can wall and cripple Gyarados with Thunder Wave. I believe Granbull should be mentioned here (it's pretty hard for Gyarados to 3HKO Granbull with Hydro Pump, especially because of its accuracy).

Special Attackers: Although they're not necessarily good switch-ins, Mr. Mime and Haunter are solid offensive answers vs. Gyarados, outspeeding Gyarados and OHKO / 2HKO'ing it with Thunder / Thunderbolt.
let me know when the analysis is ready, and i'll try to help and tweak any necessary changes

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Zap Cannon can be used in place of Thunder to land paralysis on checks such as Mr. Mime and Alakazam
So can Thunder, so I'd very briefly mention that Zap Cannon gives better odds at this. Also, Alakzam isn't in UU. I'm guessing you mean Kadabra?

This is very good overall. QC 1/2

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Alongside Haunter's utility at checking Granbull (under Team Options), it should be mentioned that it can also lure / bait-kill some notable Gyarados checks (Ampharos, some defensive Psychics etc) as well!

I have nothing else to nitpick, but i'd move Sleep Talk to OO in the Rest set (not necessarily unviable, but it mostly outclassed by the other Bulky-waters of the tier)

QC 2/2

Alongside Haunter's utility at checking Granbull (under Team Options), it should be mentioned that it can also lure / bait-kill some notable Gyarados checks (Ampharos, some defensive Psychics etc) as well!

I have nothing else to nitpick, but i'd move Sleep Talk to OO in the Rest set (not necessarily unviable, but it mostly outclassed by the other Bulky-waters of the tier)

QC 2/2
As a compromise, do you think it would be okay to move Sleep Talk to third slash rather than first slash?

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Gyarados has several traits that make it a solid choice in GSC UU: it has an unusual typing which that grants it useful STAB attacks and resistances, the uncommon combination of high Attack and high Special Defense, and a unique and varied movepool. Its immunity to Spikes and Earthquake is great in a metagame where Ground-types such as Nidoqueen and Piloswine are common, and its resistance to Water alongside its access to Thunder makes it a solid check to the tier's prominent Water-types (RC) such as Slowbro and Blastoise. Moreover, its coverage and bulk makes it an adequate check to Scyther and allows it to do just enough damage to the tier's bulkier foes that it can sometimes be difficult to deal with. What prevents Gyarados from being a top-tier(AH) Pokemon is its crippling weakness to Electric-type attacks, which are sadly a very common sight in the tier. Its low Special Attack stat also means that it has trouble breaking through bulkier Pokemon like Granbull and Slowking. Furthermore, if it lacks Rest or Heal Bell support,(AC) then paralysis is highly problematic, as once paralyzed it has very low chances of beating Moonlight Nidoqueen, one of the most common Pokemon in the tier.

[SET]
name: All-out Offensive
move 2: Thunder
move 3: Double-Edge / Roar
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Flying

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=============

This set aims to take full advantage of Gyarados's offensive stats and movepool. Once Gyarados has been brought in on a predicted Earthquake or resisted attack such as Surf from Slowbro or Blastoise, it can fire off the attack that its trainer believes will deal the most damage to the Pokemon it will face that turn—Hydro Pump hits Nidoqueen for a 2HKO and scares out most other Ground-types, Thunder hits most Water-types fairly hard and can inflict paralysis, Double-Edge does solid neutral damage off Gyarados's impressive Attack stat, and Hidden Power Ground is the most powerful option against Electric-types such as Magneton and Electabuzz while also hitting Haunter hard on the switch. Very few Pokemon can handle this combination of attacks for long, with the notable exception of Grass-types. Hidden Power Flying is a STAB attack that can be used as an alternative, 2HKOing not only the aforementioned Grass-types but also Scyther and Pinsir, two dangerous Swords Dance users. However, dropping Hidden Power Ground leaves Gyarados without an option to 2HKO Magneton and also causes it to miss 3HKOs on Ampharos and Lanturn. Lastly, if a phazer is absent from your lineup, Gyarados makes for a solid Roar user that can threaten Scyther and potentially disrupt Speed passing attempts from Girafarig.

Team Options
===========

This Gyarados set functions best on bulky offensive teams that run Nidoqueen for its typing synergy and Pokemon that can absorb status and hits like Hypno and Slowking. Spikes help both Gyarados and Nidoqueen punish the switches they force more effectively, so Qwilfish is also a desirable teammate. As Gyarados and Nidoqueen can both struggle to deal with Curse RestTalk Granbull and Spikes are of great importance to this kind of team's success, Haunter makes for another solid choice with its immunity to Rapid Spin and Return. It also has great offensive synergy with Gyarados, as its Explosion can be used to take down Gyarados checks like Ampharos and Hypno. Gyarados also makes for a decent recipient of Scyther's Swords Dance boosts,(AC) as it can take many special hits quite well, unlike other physical attackers.

[SET]
name: Rest
move 2: Hidden Power Flying / Thunder / Double-Edge
move 3: Roar / Thunder / Sleep Talk
move 4: Rest

Set Comments
============

Rest Gyarados aims to take advantage of its high Special Defense and Spikes immunity to become a more reliable long-term(AH) check to bulky Water- and Psychic-types such as Slowbro and Hypno, two Pokemon that can be difficult for offensive teams to switch into due to their access to status moves and scarcely resisted(RH) STAB attacks. Hydro Pump is necessary to 2HKO Nidoqueen and threaten Granbull. Hidden Power Flying is the preferred secondary attack to allow Gyarados to deal with top threat Scyther more consistently. However, Thunder can also be used as a less effective option against Scyther while maintaining a kill KO threat on Blastoise and Slowbro, both of which could otherwise safely attempt to PP stall Gyarados. Double-Edge can be chosen as an option that doesn't sacrifice coverage against Lanturn and Ampharos, but with the set's defensive incline, generally these Pokemon are better dealt with by switching out or using Roar as they enter the field. Roar is a strong option that can be used to both offensively pressure opposing teams with Spikes up and to phaze out stat-boosting(AH) foes. Alternatively, Gyarados can utilize Sleep Talk to reduce its downtime while asleep and give it the ability to absorb sleep effectively, although this limits its offensive potential. It should also be noted that other Water-types such as Slowking and Slowbro tend to make for better RestTalk users,(AC) as they fare better against Nidoqueen and Granbull and are less crippled by Thunder Wave. However, Gyarados has the advantage of Spikes immunity and a better matchup against Scyther.

Team Options
============

This Gyarados set requires support against Electric-types like Ampharos, so Ground-types such Nidoqueen and Piloswine are welcome teammates. Hypno and Ampharos are other useful choices that can easily stomach the Psychic- and Electric-type coverage that many of Gyarados's checks rely on. Chansey can be a useful teammate with Heal Bell, particularly if Gyarados lacks Sleep Talk. Qwilfish is handy for Spikes, which allow Gyarados to pose a greater offensive threat. It is a good idea to use Gyarados alongside a Pokemon that resists Normal,(AC) as Granbull and Dodrio have powerful STAB attacks that Gyarados cannot withstand for long, even with Rest. Magneton is a good check to mono-attacking Granbull and also checks Psychic-types. Despite its overlapping weakness to Electric, Omastar is one of the safest checks to the two Normal-type powerhouses.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============

Zap Cannon can be used in place of Thunder to increase the odds of landing paralysis on checks such as Mr. Mime and Kadabra, although its low accuracy makes it a much less effective tool against the tier's bulky Water-types, so the trade-off is generally not worth it. Substitute can be used in place of HP Hidden Power Ground to improve its Gyarados's matchup against Electric-types that rely on Thunder and take advantage of or block paralysis. Swagger is an option that can be used in combination with Substitute to help Gyarados break past bulky foes like Hypno and Blastoise, however but its lack of consistency generally means it isn't worth it unless paralysis can be spread beforehand. Gyarados could use Surf over Hydro Pump, but it misses a crucial guaranteed 2HKO on Nidoqueen so is generally not worth it.

Checks and Counters
=================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Electabuzz, Ampharos, Lanturn, and Magneton can OHKO Gyarados with their STAB Electric-type attacks. Gyarados can hit them for a 3HKO on the switch with Hidden Power Ground, however. Magneton also risks a potential OHKO from Hidden Power Ground variants.

**Psychic-types**: Most Psychic-types have a favorable matchup against Gyarados thanks to their access to Electric-type moves and lack of weaknesses to Gyarados's attacks. Hypno is very difficult for Gyarados to get past and can wear it down, inflict status on it, or set up a screen. Unlike Slowbro, Slowking is not 3HKOed by Thunder and can therefore take Gyarados on and wear it down with STAB Psychic or paralyze it. Mr. Mime and Kadabra take heavy damage from Double-Edge and Hidden Power Flying (RC) but threaten Gyarados with their Electric-type coverage.

**Grass-types**: Jumpluff and Bellossom wall Gyarados if it lacks Hidden Power Flying and can inflict status on it and wear it down with Leech Seed. However, they are both 2HKOed by Hidden Power Flying if Gyarados has it.

**Normal-types**: Granbull and bulkier Normal-types like Lickitung lack weaknesses to Gyarados's attacks and are bulky enough that Gyarados fails to reliably 3HKO them. Granbull immediately threatens Gyarados back with its powerful STAB Return and can potentially stall Gyarados out of Hydro Pump with RestTalk;(comma -> semicolon) however,(AC) it does risk a 3HKO from it Gyarados, especially if Spikes are up. Chansey can also take Gyarados on somewhat decently thanks to Soft-Boiled, although if it is lacks Toxic and Counter, it may run out of Soft-Boiled PP before it can take Gyarados down. If Gyarados lacks Hidden Power Flying, the high recoil from Double-Edge will at least make Gyarados think twice about trying to take Chansey down.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Earthworm, 15210]]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

remember to do credits

there is a plan to allow gpers the ability to gp 1/1 analyses if they think a piece will not benefit too much from a second check; this analysis has been sitting here forever and should be good for upload with just this check, so gp 1/1 when done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)