[Gym Qualifiers] - Ground, Fire and Grass

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi.

If you are interested in Ground, Fire or Grass gyms, please state here your interest, as well as when you feel you will be ready for qualfiers. There isn't anybody (at least explicitly) training for those gyms, so we don't expect to do qualifiers anytime soon. But if you post here stating interest and current training state, we can at least put those qualifiers in our horizon of events.

thanks.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I think I'll try my luck with Ground - do note though that at the moment I only have three Ground types, I've claimed three more but I will need to train them up from nothing.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm interested in trying the qualifiers for Grass.

No, I am not interested in leaving the Fighting Gym, yet. But I'd like to try the qualifiers, see how they go, and make my decision then. If that's against the rules, no worries. Just thought I'd try!

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
Following in Birkal's steps here.

I want to try for the Fire Gym. Not leaving Fairy yet, but I want to see what I could enjoy with a more "Raw Power" type instead of what playing Fairy GL.

Interested in Fire but I won't train mons until I get results from Water
and by train you mean use up a small portion of your uc right?

>.>

I'd be interested in fire, but like... "what's a fire type?"
mcx is my only viable one, since mcy and ninetales get rekt by the fact that it's a gym (so people will bring rock types for 4x se) + the fact that it's a gym (and basically any arena will probably auto-sun)

Although I am severely undertrained and would need time to purchase and train most of a usable team, I am interested in participating in Fire qualifiers.

Frosty

=_=
Birkal
JJayyFeather

I will get back to you after I speak to the gym committee.

P2X7
Fort Colorcastle
Toon

Can you give a rough estimate of when you will be ready? It doesn't need to be now (it probably won't even have pools posted this year). But it would be nice to have some idea so we can plan ourselves properly.

Ground and Grass I will ask once 3 non-GL interested players are found. But you can give me the answer without me needing to ask you if you want to save my time.

Toon

NOT A BUNNY!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A month or two is all I need. If pools/quals wont start until January or February that's fine by me!

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
Providing my answer now since i've no reason not to.

I'm quite well prepared for Fire (for some strange reason I already have a Fire Gym core that's solidly trained), just a couple moves to nab for most of them.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I can be available for Grass whenever. If other applicants want more time, no worries.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I might be interested in getting the Ground Gym.

My estimate is that theorymonning and training will take about 2 months.

Sorry for the wait.

Edit: I now know which mons I'm getting, and after my claim is approved, I'll start training them.

Last edited:

Frosty

=_=
Birkal
JJayyFeather

Ruling: You cannot join a qualifier before making a decision wrt leaving the gym. If you want to partake in the qualifier, you have until the day before the qualifiers to leave the gym. The most we can accept is some time limitation (leaving the gym when the new leader comes in, assuming you warn us with time enough for us set up a qualifier for your typing within a similar time-frame...something of the like can be arranged, negotiated, as long as you leaving the gym is set - you can't decide if you want to leave the gym or not after the qualifier starts).

If you want to leave the gym, give us a heads up asap so we can set up qualifiers and make sure we keep the hole in the league for as little time as possible. Also, I should add that in this situation, Birkal gets to keep his badge, but jay won't (10-battle benchmark to be considered a GL after leaving the gym).

The main reason for it is basically "we would bias against active gym leaders for a ruddy obvious reason". I can't see any situation we would rather choose to have 1 leader instead of 2. There were other reasons discussed, but I will spare you the trouble. Regardless this should give you a month or more to give it a thought. Should be enough.

I estimate that I would require around two months to sufficiently train my pool of Fire-types.

Birkal

We have the technology.
Ruling: You cannot join a qualifier before making a decision wrt leaving the gym. If you want to partake in the qualifier, you have until the day before the qualifiers to leave the gym. The most we can accept is some time limitation (leaving the gym when the new leader comes in, assuming you warn us with time enough for us set up a qualifier for your typing within a similar time-frame...something of the like can be arranged, negotiated, as long as you leaving the gym is set - you can't decide if you want to leave the gym or not after the qualifier starts).

If you want to leave the gym, give us a heads up asap so we can set up qualifiers and make sure we keep the hole in the league for as little time as possible. Also, I should add that in this situation, Birkal gets to keep his badge, but jay won't (10-battle benchmark to be considered a GL after leaving the gym).

The main reason for it is basically "we would bias against active gym leaders for a ruddy obvious reason". I can't see any situation we would rather choose to have 1 leader instead of 2. There were other reasons discussed, but I will spare you the trouble. Regardless this should give you a month or more to give it a thought. Should be enough.
Not to create drama, but this is a pretty disappointing answer on multiple levels. If this ruling were to actually exist, I would have to go through the following process:

1) Drop Fighting-type Gym and all current challenges.
2) Train up for Grass-type Gym qualifiers.
3) Participate in Grass-type Gym qualifiers.
4a) Make an arena for Grass-type Gym (presuming I won).
4aII) Lead Grass-type Gym.
4b) Reapply for Fighting-type Gym (presuming I lost).
4bII) Participate in Fighting-type Gym qualifiers.
4bIII) Lead Fighting-type Gym (presuming I won).​

That is a stupidly long process for a Gym leader who would be perfectly content with leading the Fighting-type Gym while going through qualifiers. Your ruling is basically a game of chicken, "Will current leaders drop out of their gym? This ruling should put on enough pressure to keep them in." If you want the answer to that game, yes, I would drop out of Fighting-type Gym if I need to. And that's not a very fun nor constructive game to play.

You can't think of any situations where you'd choose one leader instead of two, huh? What about Fairy Qualifiers, where you literally tested three people and then chose zero of them. All three would have been fine; sure they made mistakes, but give me a gym leader who doesn't. In that case, you chose zero instead of one. The same thing happened recently with Poison Qualifiers. The Gym Committee has made it clear that it is not a goal to fill up all seventeen gyms, valuing quality over quantity. And I do appreciate that. I just don't see how this ruling you've proposed coincides with that goal at all. What if the other qualifiers for the Grass-type Gym don't pass the standard? Are you suddenly going to lower your standard to let them in? I don't see the parallel.

To further this, you specifically broke this rule in the past, Frosty. Not only did you apply for the Ice-type Gym in September 2015, but you were awarded it in October of that same year. Not only that, but you ran the Fire-type Gym until January of 2016, almost three months later. This happened while you simultaneously ran the Ice-type Gym, accepting your first challenge on November 17th of 2015, meaning you ran two gyms for over two months.

So how am I supposed to take this "new ruling" when there is such blatant favoritism being enforced? Is there a reason Frosty was allowed to run two gyms, while I can't even participate in the qualifiers of one while running the other (which Frosty did as well). Is it because the name "Frosty" and "Ice" go well together? Is it because "Frosty's the best trainer in ASB," and therefore can handle it, while I am unqualified to handle it?

I don't know and I don't particularly want to know the answer to those questions. All I'm asking is that these points are heard out and thought on. I have faithfully run the Fighting-type Gym for three years now, making me one of the four oldest gyms in this game (Dogfish, zarator, Maxim). It was my goal entering in to get the Grass-type Gym (my favorite type), but it was already taken at the time. So I settled on, and really enjoyed, the Fighting-type Gym. But now that I feel ready to try going back to my original goal, I'm being stopped by a ruling that is inconsistent and ill-thought out. So please, consider these points and get back to me.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the record nothing is stopping you from training mins for quals and then leaving fighting gym when grass quals start, nor necessarily having to undergo fighting equals should you not be chosen for grass

Also for the record I voted in favour of allowing simultaneous gym leading/qualifying but the arguments against are also valid ones

Frosty

=_=
Not to create drama, but this is a pretty disappointing answer on multiple levels. If this ruling were to actually exist, I would have to go through the following process:

1) Drop Fighting-type Gym and all current challenges.
2) Train up for Grass-type Gym qualifiers.
3) Participate in Grass-type Gym qualifiers.
4a) Make an arena for Grass-type Gym (presuming I won).
4aII) Lead Grass-type Gym.
4b) Reapply for Fighting-type Gym (presuming I lost).
4bII) Participate in Fighting-type Gym qualifiers.
4bIII) Lead Fighting-type Gym (presuming I won).​

That is a stupidly long process for a Gym leader who would be perfectly content with leading the Fighting-type Gym while going through qualifiers. Your ruling is basically a game of chicken, "Will current leaders drop out of their gym? This ruling should put on enough pressure to keep them in." If you want the answer to that game, yes, I would drop out of Fighting-type Gym if I need to. And that's not a very fun nor constructive game to play.

You can't think of any situations where you'd choose one leader instead of two, huh? What about Fairy Qualifiers, where you literally tested three people and then chose zero of them. All three would have been fine; sure they made mistakes, but give me a gym leader who doesn't. In that case, you chose zero instead of one. The same thing happened recently with Poison Qualifiers. The Gym Committee has made it clear that it is not a goal to fill up all seventeen gyms, valuing quality over quantity. And I do appreciate that. I just don't see how this ruling you've proposed coincides with that goal at all. What if the other qualifiers for the Grass-type Gym don't pass the standard? Are you suddenly going to lower your standard to let them in? I don't see the parallel.

To further this, you specifically broke this rule in the past, Frosty. Not only did you apply for the Ice-type Gym in September 2015, but you were awarded it in October of that same year. Not only that, but you ran the Fire-type Gym until January of 2016, almost three months later. This happened while you simultaneously ran the Ice-type Gym, accepting your first challenge on November 17th of 2015, meaning you ran two gyms for over two months.

So how am I supposed to take this "new ruling" when there is such blatant favoritism being enforced? Is there a reason Frosty was allowed to run two gyms, while I can't even participate in the qualifiers of one while running the other (which Frosty did as well). Is it because the name "Frosty" and "Ice" go well together? Is it because "Frosty's the best trainer in ASB," and therefore can handle it, while I am unqualified to handle it?

I don't know and I don't particularly want to know the answer to those questions. All I'm asking is that these points are heard out and thought on. I have faithfully run the Fighting-type Gym for three years now, making me one of the four oldest gyms in this game (Dogfish, zarator, Maxim). It was my goal entering in to get the Grass-type Gym (my favorite type), but it was already taken at the time. So I settled on, and really enjoyed, the Fighting-type Gym. But now that I feel ready to try going back to my original goal, I'm being stopped by a ruling that is inconsistent and ill-thought out. So please, consider these points and get back to me.
Is that all? Do you feel better?

Regarding my own situation: I made it clear that I would leave Fire as soon as geodude took over. And I did only that because I made my fucking decision some good months ahead and managed to put both qualifiers on the same time frame. Actually, I stopped taking challenges a long time before it. So yes I ended up doing battles for both gyms for 2 months, but that was to prevent the ball from dropping, which is something I expected all gym leaders to do before leaving. When I say "something can be arranged, negotiated" I meant just that. The problem isn't the actual battles, but within intentions: the decision needs to be mae before qualifiers. The day the change will happen can differ. My own situation is the parameter precisely for this ruling, not against it. Do your bloody research before you accuse me of breaking rules.

Regarding everything else: Do you want my spot? I am giving it away. Step on these shoes and walk a mile before you go making accusations and nagging. I did what I did for the reasons I said back then and all those decisions were done by the committee as whole, not only me. I won't say them again and I don't intend to relive the dead. If you were the only person interested in the gym, I would give it a second thought, think on an exception, but you aren't.

Do you think I liked leaving the fire gym? I left the Fire Gym and went for Ice because I didn't see Ice getting a leader and I thought Fire would (a mistake on my behalf), not because my name is "Frosty". And do you think I like doing qualifiers over and over? Do you think any of this pleases me in the slightest, that I have some inner desire to fuck you all and make life harder? Get a grip!

Decision is set from me. Now more than ever. If you want, go nag at dogfish. Or take my proposal.

Birkal

We have the technology.
Is that all? Do you feel better?
Not really... your post is mostly you whining about how busy you are with a position that you volunteered for. You tell me to do my research, and I read through all of the Ice and Fire qualifiers with nothing listing what you wrote above. In fact, the Ice-type Qualifiers doesn't even have you posting to sign up for them -- it was included in the original OP! If it was made clear in PM, then I'm sorry I wasn't a part of it. I just think it's a bit sketchy to utilize the system and then make a ruling to prevent others from utilizing the system with you. You say there are all these things you said "back then," but I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

That being said, I know your character, and I know that you wouldn't go out of your way to make people miserable. But I clearly hit a nerve with my previous post, which means that there was a hint of truth in it. I will assume that you have the best of intentions with this ruling, but I want you to understand what this looks like from the perspective of someone outside the system. I am a huge fan of everything you've done for ASB, but I think this ruling is still unjust. Don't feel the need to respond -- I can take it up with Dogfish.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Uh... how does this sound?
  • Users may choose to participate in gym qualifiers even if they are already in possession of a Gym.
  • If they choose to keep the gym they currently have, then they must forfeit the qualifiers.
  • If, by the end of the qualifiers, they haven't forfeited, then they are forced to give up the gym they had before immediately if they are chosen.
  • If they are not chosen, then they may keep their existing gym.
  • They may not take challenges for their gym from the time they sign up for the qualifiers to the time the decision is made, or the time they forfeit, whichever comes first. This is meant to prevent gym battles that extend even after the leader gives up their position.
Sorry if this wasn't the place for this post but it looked like this argument needed a good compromise.

Uh... how does this sound?
  • Users may choose to participate in gym qualifiers even if they are already in possession of a Gym.
  • If they choose to keep the gym they currently have, then they must forfeit the qualifiers.
  • If, by the end of the qualifiers, they haven't forfeited, then they are forced to give up the gym they had before immediately if they are chosen.
  • If they are not chosen, then they may keep their existing gym.
  • They may not take challenges for their gym from the time they sign up for the qualifiers to the time the decision is made, or the time they forfeit, whichever comes first. This is meant to prevent gym battles that extend even after the leader gives up their position.
Sorry if this wasn't the place for this post but it looked like this argument needed a good compromise.
Motion to either move this to a discussion, since apparently it's become controversial and/or important enough that it keeps flaring up every couple days, or just leave it up to gym com discretion and move on with our lives.

Silver_Lucario42 the issue with that proposal is that it leaves the door open for a situation where a current GL goes for a different qual, is selected, and then their gym needs to be filled with a different person so we nees to hold quals all over again. That would mean twice the time and effort in putting up pools for quals, reffing, examining, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)