Happy Harvest (Playable on Aqua!)

Approved by Eevee General and The Immortal
Happy Final.JPG

Banner by me
Berries are, at most, sometimes used in the OU metagame. There's the status-curing Lum Berry, stat-raising pinch berries, the UncompetitiveLeppa Berry, and the ever-so-sparingly used damage reducing berries. And there's a simple reason behind that: they only have one use. If only berries could be consumed more than once, then they may be used more. Game Freak did give us Harvest, but there are no OU viable pokemon who have it. Well, all that's about to change when Landorus has blessed us with a plentiful harvest...

Rules:
-All pokemon gain Harvest as a coded ability, similar to the likes of Protean Palace. That means, if Dragonite has Multiscale as its ability, then in battle, it will also have Harvest. Unfortunately, pokemon that already have Harvest do not get an additional ability.
-Leppa Berry is Banned. There would be way too many loopholes to get around Endless Battle Clause.
-Full information of how Harvest works (read carefully!)
If the Pokémon has used a Berry, there is a 50% chance of it being restored at the end of each turn. The held Berry is remembered even if it is not restored or if the Pokémon has switched out. Harvest will always activate in intense sunlight.

Harvest can recover Berries consumed by Fling and Natural Gift, but not Berries transferred to another Pokémon, Berries destroyed by Incinerate, Berries knocked off with Knock Off, or Berries eaten with Bug Bite or Pluck. Harvest cannot restore a Berry if it is collected by a Pokémon with Pickup. If more than one Pokémon have Pickup or Harvest, the faster Pokémon will restore an item first.

A single Pokémon's Harvest will not activate more than once per turn. If the held Berry is consumed immediately after it is restored, Harvest will not be able to restore it again until the next turn.

Harvest can recover Berries consumed that were originally another Pokémon's, but transferred to the Pokémon with Harvest. However, a Pokémon may only have one consumed item (including non-Berries) at a time; if a Pokémon consumes a Berry, obtains another item and consumes it, the original consumed Berry cannot be restored, even if the second item is restored and swapped away. If the Pokémon with Harvest obtains an item after consuming a Berry, Harvest can still restore the old Berry as long as the Pokémon has no hold item and did not consume any other items (including non-Berries) since consuming the old Berry.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Harvest_(Ability)#In_battle

Some notes-
  • Set-up sweepers such as Dragonite can now fear status less if they hold a Lum Berry.
  • Natural Gift is no longer a one-trick pony, and can actually be used reliably on pokemon who really need the coverage like Talonflame.
  • Bulky set-up sweepers may opt for a damage-reduction berry, such as Manaphy who could run either Rindo/Wacan Berry to help it tank hits.
  • Sun becomes more viable: berries activate at the end of every turn, meaning pokemon like Venusaur can hold a Leichi/Peteya Berry and get a Moxie-esque boost at the end of every turn, or even hold Salac Berry to sweep more comfortably after the sunlight fades (to clarify, Venusaur would be getting the boosts during sun, not after it).
  • Sitrus Berry can give some tanks/walls like Heatran a reliable way to recover damage.
  • Knock Off prevents berries from being harvested again, so it will be used even more commonly in this meta. Be sure to carry a Knock Off absorber that won't care much about losing its item and switching into Knock Off many times. (told you to read the hide tag /me winks)
List for viable berries and Natural Gift:
Chesto - Restores Sleep
Leppa - Forces Endless Battles!
Lum -Restores any status
Sitrus - Restores 25% HP when under 50%
Occa - Fire-reduction
Passho - Water-reduction
Wacan - Electric-reduction
Rindo - Grass-reduction
Yache - Ice-reduction
Chople - Fighting-reduction
Kebia - Poison-reduction
Shuca - Ground-recuction
Coba - Flying-reduction
Payapa - Psychic-reduction
Tanga - Bug-reduction
Charti - Rock-reduction
Kasib - Ghost-reduction
Haban - Dragon-reduction
Colbur - Dark-reduction
Babiri - Steel-reduction
Roseli - Fairy-reduction
Leichi - Raises Attack by 1 stage when under 25% HP
Peteya - Raises Special Attack by 1 stage when under 25% HP
Salac - Raises Speed by 1 stage when under 25% HP
Starf - Raises a random stat by 2 stages when under 25% HP
Custap - Makes user go first when user has under 25% HP
Kee - Raises Defense by 1 stage when hit by a physical move
Maranga - Raises Special Defense by 1 stage when hit by a special move
Along with the best berries for Natural Gift:
Type - Berry - Base Power
Normal- Chilan - 80
Bug- Enigma -100
Rock- Micle - 100
Ground- Apicot - 100
Steel- Pamtre - 90
Poison- Peteya - 100
Fighting- Salac - 100
Flying- Lansat - 100
Ghost- Custap - 100
Fire- Watmel - 100
Grass- Leichi - 100
Water- Durin - 100
Ice- Ganlon - 100
Electric- Belue - 100
Dark- Rowap/Maranga - 100
Dragon- Jaboca - 100
Psychic- Starf - 100
Fairy- Kee - 100

Discussion points:
-Which berries work the best?
-Which pokemon benefit from those berries the most?
-Possible clauses? See this post.

Have fun at the Harvest!

Edit: Now playable at aqua.psim.us! Thanks Pikachuun and Snaquaza!

Also, since this is my 100th post, some short shoutouts:
- Eevee General and The Immortal thanks for leading such a great community. OMs are so fun, and I appreciate all the work you two put in for this forum and room on PS!
- Level 51 you may not even read this, but you were how I got into OMs ever since I lurked back in 2012/13. My interest in Doubles, and OMs in general has come a long way since then.
- aesf thanks for helping me with teambuilding and giving advice on PS! I'm glad you're back. :)
- OM Battlers I look up to: Kl4ng Adrian Marin unfixable jeran Snaquaza Piccolo Daimao Uselesscrab Pikachuun ellipse imas234
Thanks for reading Happy Harvest!

Last edited:
Well if Knock Off wasn't used enough in the Gen 6 Meta I can sure as heck see a lot of it here to stop the harvest in it's tracks.

Sun Teams might be more popular too in combination with Harvest, as Harvest guarantees a berry at the end of a turn during Sun.

Wallbreakers might need to be used a lot because of all the Sitrus Berry tanks that might come up.

All in all, a very interesting and unique meta. :]

Reactions: MK

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Solid idea, sun offense should be fun to use due to the viability of Pokemon that hits hard under the sun and the ability to harvest a berry every turn. Also Starf berry seems fun to use.

This sounds like a really fun meta! as deg said, starf berry is gonna be fun :P same with the damage reducing berries, since it effectively gives you a neutrality to a type that would normally be super effective (may be wrong on that, so don't quote me on it)

Knock Off is going to be as prevalent as it always is, being able to get rid of berries.

One thing that I think will be interesting is custap berry, since it effectively gives you a 50% chance to go first each turn in your priority bracket once you get to low enough health (sub anyone?) things like the jaboca and rowap berries could also be useful as not one time items to punish attackers hitting your weaker defenses as well

I do have some concerns for this meta, and I'd like to ask for people's opinions on these:
-Knock Off Clause: with it being so prevalent in this meta, maybe limit 2 pokemon to Knock Off per team?
-Berry Clause: One type of Berry may not be held by two members on the same team (i.e. both Azumarill and Hawlucha carrying Sitrus Berry is not allowed).

I think Berry Clause sounds better, though maybe it should be two or more members are not allowed, like Azumarill and Hawlucha can hold Sitrus Berry but then Spheal can't (or something like that).

They're both pretty controversial though, which is why I'd like to ask everyone first.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think both are premature decisions. This metagame doesn't seem to need a Berry clause since there are so many different ones and good ones, and you can still use old good items. It's not like a group is so good they have to be restricted (rather ban them then, honestly). About the Knock Off clause, why? Normally you can knock off items as well, and it still has the same purpose here. You still have the same ways to defend yourself against it and while it may be a bit more prevalent, it's not the end of the world.

I think both are premature decisions. This metagame doesn't seem to need a Berry clause since there are so many different ones and good ones, and you can still use old good items. It's not like a group is so good they have to be restricted (rather ban them then, honestly). About the Knock Off clause, why? Normally you can knock off items as well, and it still has the same purpose here. You still have the same ways to defend yourself against it and while it may be a bit more prevalent, it's not the end of the world.
Good enough, I'll just put them in "Discussion Points" (added that to the OP). Those ideas will be held off until at least it's coded.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
config/formats.js
Code:
    {
        name: "Happy Harvest",
        desc: ["&bullet; <a href=\"https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3545393/\">Happy Harvest</a>"],
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['OU'],
        banlist: ['Leppa Berry'],
        onResidualOrder: 26,
        onResidualSubOrder: 1,
        onResidual: function (battle) {
            if (this.isWeather(['sunnyday', 'desolateland']) || this.random(2) === 0) {
                var pokemon;
                for (var s in battle.sides) {
                    for (var p in battle.sides[s].active) {
                        var pokemon = battle.sides[s].active[p];
                        if (pokemon.hp && !pokemon.item && this.getItem(pokemon.lastItem).isBerry) {
                            pokemon.setItem(pokemon.lastItem);
                            this.add('-item', pokemon, pokemon.getItem(), '[from] ability: Harvest');
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    },

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
config/formats.js
Code:
    {
        name: "Happy Harvest",
        desc: ["&bullet; <a href=\"https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3545393/\">Happy Harvest</a>"],
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['OU'],
        banlist: ['Leppa Berry'],
        onResidualOrder: 26,
        onResidualSubOrder: 1,
        onResidual: function (battle) {
            if (this.isWeather(['sunnyday', 'desolateland']) || this.random(2) === 0) {
                var pokemon;
                for (var s in battle.sides) {
                    for (var p in battle.sides[s].active) {
                        var pokemon = battle.sides[s].active[p];
                        if (pokemon.hp && !pokemon.item && this.getItem(pokemon.lastItem).isBerry) {
                            pokemon.setItem(pokemon.lastItem);
                            this.add('-item', pokemon, pokemon.getItem(), '[from] ability: Harvest');
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    },
Now Playable on Aqua!

Brawl MK you have the link

Maybe Regigigas can finally outstall Slow Start with this (with sitrus)? Also Archeops might be able to keep itself much more easily out of defeatist range. Seems like a good buff to those mons with garbage abilities.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level

Ninetales @ Salac Berry
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball / Hidden Power Ground

This is gonna be a fun set if I understand the meta correctly. Sub until you are down to 1/4 (3 subs or 2 subs+rocks damage, because of the HP which is divisible by 4), Nasty Plot, and get speed boosts due to Salac Berry getting recycled. Then nuke stuff with Fire Blast, while Energy Ball hits bulky Water/Rock types, and HP Ground hits Fire-types and in particular Heatran. This gives Ninetales a solid niche imo, and it will be fun to try out!

Finally Unnerve has a use!
Tyranitar's gonna have two ways to mess with sun teams now! The only other thing that looks particularly good with it is Aerodactyl, which can probably lead I guess?

Incidentally, Scizor likes this meta. It gets Knock Off and Bug Bite, and loves to patch up its Fire weakness with an Occa Berry. Bullet Punch is nice for handling Salac boosters. What it doesn't like is all that damn sun flying around.

Sub+Sitrus looks infuriating. Crobat should handily put a stop to it.

What about Kee/Maranga Berries? I think walls such as Slowbro that are strong on one side and weak in the other could use them to boost their weak side (almost) every time they get hit on it (I know I'll later regret this post because I bumped stall). As I know this wasn't a great explanation, consider this set:
Blissey @ Kee Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled/Wish
- Toxic/Thunder Wave/Protect
- Seismic Toss/Ice Beam/Flamethrower
- Heal Bell
So, Blissey isn't that weak on the physical side anymore! With Soft-Boiled or Wish+Protect you can stall out physical attacks (Blissey survives most of them at full - as long as it isn't a STAB Fighting attack but you shouldn't stay on Fighting moves of any kind anyway) and get more and more Kee Berries until you get unbreakable on the physical side! Wish goes with Protect to act as a Wish passer (and stall for more Berries), and Soft-Boiled with a status move to act as a status spreader. Seismic Toss for consistent damage, or Flamethower/Ice Beam to catch Scizor and Ferrothorn or Landorus, Gliscor, Garchomp or Dragonite off-guard, respectively (that might prove better on more balanced builds). Heal Bell for cleric purposes. You could even run Soft-Boiled / Protect / Seismic Toss / Toxic or something along this lines for dedicated status spreading and Harvest stalling (not that sure this is good though). EVs max Defense out despite the Kee Berry as Blissey is unbreakable on the special side anyway with its 255/135 defenses and relies on Kee Berry's boosts to take physical hits (255/10 physical defenses).
What do you think?

Last edited:
Shuckle @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rollout
- Acupressure
- Protect
- Encore

GG everything.

But wait.... there's more

Aron @ Berry Juice
Level: 1
EVs: 4 HP / -124 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Sandstorm
- Toxic

Shuckle @ Lum Berry
Careful Nature
- Rollout
- Acupressure
- Protect
- Encore

GG everything.

Aron @ Berry Juice
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Sandstorm
- Toxic
Gimmicky. Gimmicky, but fun. Don't expect it to work on good players. Say hi to low-ladder trolling.

Shuckle @ Lum Berry
Careful Nature
- Rollout
- Acupressure
- Protect
- Encore

GG everything.

Aron @ Berry Juice
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Sandstorm
- Toxic
I don't think Berry Juice works.

Anyways, real post time.

I've compiled a list of all the "viable" berries. If you feel more should be added, let me know and I'll consider it.
Chesto - Restores Sleep
Lum -Restores any status
Occa - Fire-reduction
Passho - Water-reduction
Rindo - Grass-reduction
Yache - Ice-reduction
Kebia - Poison-reduction
Shuca - Ground-recuction
Coba - Flying-reduction
Tanga - Bug-reduction
Charti - Rock-reduction
Kasib - Ghost-reduction
Haban - Dragon-reduction
Colbur - Dark-reduction
Babiri - Steel-reduction
Roseli - Fairy-reduction
Starf - Raises a random stat by 1 stage when under 25% HP-
Normal- Chilan - 80
Bug- Enigma -100
Rock- Micle - 100
Ground- Apicot - 100
Steel- Pamtre - 90
Poison- Peteya - 100
Fighting- Salac - 100
Flying- Lansat - 100
Ghost- Custap - 100
Fire- Watmel - 100
Grass- Leichi - 100
Water- Durin - 100
Ice- Ganlon - 100
Electric- Belue - 100
Dragon- Jaboca - 100
Psychic- Starf - 100
Fairy- Kee - 100

rowap berry might be, uh, interesting on something like blissey or ferrothorn, its essentially a special rocky helmet. i cant see much else thatd want to use it, but itd certainly make ferrothorn in particular just a headache to see at team preview on a hazard stacking team lol

I don't think Berry Juice works.

Anyways, real post time.

I've compiled a list of all the "viable" berries. If you feel more should be added, let me know and I'll consider it.
Chesto - Restores Sleep
Lum -Restores any status
Occa - Fire-reduction
Passho - Water-reduction
Rindo - Grass-reduction
Yache - Ice-reduction
Kebia - Poison-reduction
Shuca - Ground-recuction
Coba - Flying-reduction
Tanga - Bug-reduction
Charti - Rock-reduction
Kasib - Ghost-reduction
Haban - Dragon-reduction
Colbur - Dark-reduction
Babiri - Steel-reduction
Roseli - Fairy-reduction
Starf - Raises a random stat by 1 stage when under 25% HP-
Normal- Chilan - 80
Bug- Enigma -100
Rock- Micle - 100
Ground- Apicot - 100
Steel- Pamtre - 90
Poison- Peteya - 100
Fighting- Salac - 100
Flying- Lansat - 100
Ghost- Custap - 100
Fire- Watmel - 100
Grass- Leichi - 100
Water- Durin - 100
Ice- Ganlon - 100
Electric- Belue - 100
Dragon- Jaboca - 100
Psychic- Starf - 100
Fairy- Kee - 100
Wow, such a good list! Small nitpick: Starf Berry raises a random stat by TWO stages when under 25% (aka endless Acupressure).

Reactions: MK
I'm curious, how does the consumption of berries work with unburden? Do the boosts get removed after you recover the berry? Or do they continually increase as long as you consume them?

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
I don't see why leppa is banned though. It doesn't cause endless battles... If you try to use leppa to do an endless battle you automatically lose.

I'm curious, how does the consumption of berries work with unburden? Do the boosts get removed after you recover the berry? Or do they continually increase as long as you consume them?
As far as I remember, if you gain an item back, your speed returns to normal. So Unburden doesn't work too well in this meta. :/
I don't see why leppa is banned though. It doesn't cause endless battles... If you try to use leppa to do an endless battle you automatically lose.
Just for simplicity. I'm sure someone who reads this will find a way to force endess battles. Besides, no collateral damage, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)