Monotype Hatterene Psychic- Wonderland

Wonderland - A Hatterene Psychic team
Hi everyone! I've been lurking around the monotype community for about a year now, and decided it's about time I do my own RMT. Now since this is my first, I only collected a couple replays(from 1 ssnls series), and didn't bother trying to peak ladder. I did put the team through many, many test battles and got an alt to 1500. I drew inspiration from a lot of different psychic builds, notably Decem's Bronzong Psychic. In the end, I just wanted to try out Hatterene, which lost its luster even though it was so potent pre CT. After playing around with the Mad Hatter, I have come to love it so much, and I don't think the introduction of Tapu Lele makes it any less viable.

Team Building Process

Obviously I wanted to build around Hatterene, so it was the natural first pick.

Glowking is really nice as a spdef wall and poison typing, which allows it to absorb tspikes for Hatt.

Added the other slowtwin, it's a really nice pivot and physical wall that patches up glowking quite nicely.

Chose zong as my rocker over Jirachi since it has Levitate, which is really good against mons like SubSD Bulu, SubRoost Kyurem, and SD Glastrier.

Victini is one of the best offensive mons on Psychic, can't go wrong with this.

Latias provides emergency defog and healing wish, while acting as much needed speed control for my team.

Sets
Hatterene | Fairy type pokemon, Pokemon, Cool pokemon

Mad Hatter (Hatterene) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Trick Room

I'd always loved the Mad Hatter when I read the book by Lewis Caroll, and I also love Hatterene just as much in the current metagame. Its cm set is capable of cleaning many different types with support and chip from its teammates. Notable mus include Dragon, Fighting, Poison, Water - the list goes on. It obviously isn't foolproof, Hatt has to set up on the corrent pokemon, and has to be used very conservatively for it to do its job as well. I was considering using HDB over Lefties, but then decided that Slowking + Latias should meet the bare minimum of hazard removal, opting for Lefties instead. Maximum Defense on Hatterene allows gives it more opportunities to set up, and gives the team an easier time against Pokemon like the Urshifus, Gapdos, and Zeraora.

199. Galarian Slowking by hftran on DeviantArt

Tweedledum (Slowking-Galar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Psyshock

Slowking-G is a really underated mon in my opinion, it has a poison typing, insane special defense, regenerator, and a solid movepool as well. It helps against almost any special attacker, bar the scary dark and ghost types like Spectrier and Moltres. AV makes it even fatter, and combined with regen, it can constantly come in and out of the battlefield. Sludge Bomb is very spammable, spreading poisons, and in conjunction with Flamethrower to hit steels + EQ for tran, king can spread a lot of chip throughout the game, especially against Pokemon that lack solid recovery, like Ferro and Tran. For my psychic stab, I chose Psyshock over Future Sight, as fsight doesn't do much, especially on a team without Tapu Lele to abuse it. Psyshock also lets you hit Pokemon like Volcarona.

ArtStation - Slowbro fan art, Sudawan Corness

Tweedledee (Slowbro) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Teleport

Slowbro is essentially a must have on any Psychic team. Its access to Teleport, a high base defense, and Regenerator makes it an excellent pivot, and partner to Slowking. I chose the standard Slowbro, using my filler move as Ice Beam. Beam lets you hit Dnite and prevents pult from using you as setup bait, which I find incredibly good for psychic, a type that struggles against these pokemon a lot.

Bronzong | イラスト, ポケモン, アニメイラスト

The Caterpillar (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Body Press
- Toxic

When I was using Decem's Bronzong Psychic with fog Mew and Scarf Lele, I was very confused as to why there was a bell on the team. After some more games done with Bronzong, I've come to love it just as much as Hatterene. Levitate is insanely good on this, handing it a ground immunity without any electric weakness. It lets you have a more comfortable time against SubRoost Kyurem and many other ground spammers that Jirachi fumbles to. It also relieves pressure off of Slowbro. Iron Head and Body Press hit what they need to, and Toxic allows you to cripple walls and pokemon you are unable to dent.

Victini - Pokémon - Image #898684 - Zerochan Anime Image Board

Chesire Cat (Victini) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball

Another concept taken from Decem :blobuwu: , I added Belt Victini onto the team next. Now I can't stand using Band Victini, which does considerably worse against types like Flying and Steel, where Victini theoretically breaks the defensive core, but can't due to protect scouting. V-Create and Bolt Strike are very standard on Victini, but then I added Energy Ball to nuke Pokemon like Cloyster or Swampert on the switch, and Dazzling gleam which hits dragons like Kyurem and Hydreigon.

Latias/#1774324 - Zerochan | Pokemon, Pokemon latias, Cute pokemon

Queen of Hearts (Latias) (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish

I used Scarf Latias to cover up my last slot. This was mainly thanks to its nice utility which it can fit onto its scarf set, notable Healing wish and Defog. I originally had trick over Defog, but after struggling against Spikes and Webs stacking teams, I changed it to defog. Healing Wish is really nice for both Victini and Hatt, essentially giving them another chance to get on the field. I also considered Psyshock over Psychic, but settled on Psychic due to Hatterene and Glowking both already having shock.​

Threatlist
:ss/gengar: :ss/spectrier: :ss/aegislash:
Ghost types are a royal pain in the ass to deal with, and they all have very little counterplay on a zamless team.

:ss/bisharp:
I also noticed my team struggles a lot more against Bisharp Steel compared to a regular Psychic team, as I got rid of terrain on this team. This mon being on the opponents team is pretty much an autoloss unless slowbro can burn it.

:ss/cloyster: :ss/ferrothorn:
While the spikers themselves aren't too hard to deal with, when multiple layers are applied it gets very annoying. Decem's Zong Psychic had taunt defog mew, which circumvents this problem, but my only hazard control is Scarf Latias' defog.

Other than that there are no notable threats( there is obviously more that I lose to but they are the normal threats you'd find psychic struggling with, I only listed Pokemon I now have a harder time against.

Alright so that's all I have!
Here's the importable to my team, any feedback/extra testing is appreciated :3
Mad Hatter (Hatterene) (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Trick Room

Tweedledum (Slowking-Galar) @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Psychic

Tweedledee (Slowbro) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Teleport

The Caterpillar (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Body Press
- Toxic

Chesire Cat (Victini) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Toxic
- U-turn

Queen of Hearts (Latias) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Last edited:

DugZa

Carpe Diem
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NUPL Champion
Hello, kinda late but solid team in general and just only have two minor suggestions for the team.

Slowking-Galar
:slowking-galar:
Since you already have Psyshock on Hatterene I suggest Psychic over Psyshock on Slowking-G. The increased BP is nice and you can do meaningful damage against Toxapex since Psyshock does only about 30s whereas Psychic does 60+ damage.

Victini
:victini:
I suggest Heavy-Duty Boots Victini along with Toxic and U-turn over Dazzling Gleam and Energy Ball. You mentioned your team struggles vs hazards so Heavy-Duty Boots on Victini would benefit a lot. Your team already has enough counterplay against Dragon with Scarf Latias and Hatterene, so Dazzling Gleam really isn't necessary. You can choose to keep Energy Ball but, Swampert also doesn't pose a significant threat with both Hatterene and Bronzong on the team. Besides, you can always catch Swampert on the switch with Toxic. Toxic also helps against other defensive switch-ins like Galarian Corsola, Hippowdon, and Rotom-W which otherwise comfortably wall it.

Hatterene (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Trick Room

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Psychic

Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Teleport

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Body Press
- Toxic

Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Toxic

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Cool team in general and hope you like the changes!

Last edited:
Hello, kinda late but solid team in general and just only have two minor suggestions for the team.

Slowking-Galar
:slowking-galar:
Since you already have Psyshock on Hatterene I suggest Psychic over Psyshock on Slowking-G. The increased BP is nice and you can do meaningful damage against Toxapex since Psyshock does only about 30s whereas Psychic does 60+ damage.

Victini
:victini:
I suggest Heavy-Duty Boots Victini along with Toxic and U-turn over Dazzling Gleam and Energy Ball. You mentioned your team struggles vs hazards so Heavy-Duty Boots on Victini would benefit a lot. Your team already has enough counterplay against Dragon with Scarf Latias and Hatterene, so Dazzling Gleam really isn't necessary. You can choose to keep Energy Ball but, Swampert also doesn't pose a significant threat with both Hatterene and Bronzong on the team. Besides, you can always catch Swampert on the switch with Toxic. Toxic also helps against other defensive switch-ins like Galarian Corsola, Hippowdon, and Rotom-W which otherwise comfortably wall it.

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Psychic

Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Toxic

Cool team in general and hope you like the changes!
thanks! Toxic is p cool on Victini and I'd agree it has more merit than Dazzling Gleam. Implementing these changes for sure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)