Hawlucha [QC: 0/2]

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

-Access to Unburden allows Hawlucha to raise its Speed by 2 stages after consuming a Psychic / Misty Seed, coupled with a high 118 base speed, allows Hawlucha to outspeed majority of the metagame, allowing it to be one of the most reliable Tailwind setters. However that being said, Tapu Lele / Tapu Fini is essential in activating the item, allowing Hawlucha to get the Unburden boost

-Hawlucha has a wide support movepool giving Hawlucha a variety of options, its access to high-power dual STABs also allows Hawlucha to both function as an offensive support or a late game cleaner

-Its good offensive typing with dual stabs is unresisted by most Pokemon in the current metagame, however this is hindered by its below average bulk and offensive stats, alongside with Hawlucha's inability to stay in in the face of common threats such as Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele, makes Hawlucha rather underwhelming offensively and an easy prey for these Pokemon. Its underwhelming offensive presence is also further worsened by the omnipresence of Intimidate in the current metagame

-It is also thus outclassed by other more popular support options such as Drifblim and Accelgor. Drifblim's bulk access to Ghost STABs and Will-o-wisp allow it to support its teammates defensively while checking a plethora of common threats such as Mega Gengar, and Mega Metagross which Hawlucha cannot. Accelgor on the other hand has access to Final Gambit and Acid Spray, allowing it to provide offensive support for its teammates, carving itself a spot on more offense oriented teams. Both of these Pokemon also has immunity to Fake Out, while Hawlucha does not

-Hawlucha's niche on the other hand is being able to threaten Incineroar, Snorlax and Kangashkhan due to its valuable Fighting Type STAB, which both Accelgor and Drifblim find difficulty with, along with its access to Taunt, hampering set-up sweepers from setting up and stopping opposing Trick Room/Tailwind setters

[SET]
name: Offensive support
move 1: Acrobatics
move 2: High Jump Kick / Superpower
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Encore / Rain Dance / Taunt
item: Misty Seed / Psychic Seed
ability: Unburden
nature: Adamant
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 Spd / 28 Spe.

[SET COMMENTS]

-Dual STAB attacks, Acrobatics and High Jump Kick allow Hawlucha to dish out huge amounts of damage against common targets that threaten Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele, such as Kartana, Tapu Bulu and Kangaskhan. High Jump Kick can also be replaced with Superpower, which gives Hawlucha a 100% accurate Fighting STAB without any potential recoil damage but with the drawback of lowering Hawlucha's Atk and Def stats by one stage after each use. Sky Drop is an alternate choice to one of Hawlucha's STABs to disable an opponent for a turn whilst doubling as a weak STAB move.

-Encore can render targets immobile and unable to attack by locking them into moves such as Fake Out, Protect and set-up moves. In particular it discourages opponents from using Protect to stall Tailwind or to defend against Hi Jump Kick. However it can be replaced by Taunt can prevent opposing targets from using set-up moves such as Trick Room, Tailwind or Belly Drum in the first place.

-Protect prolongs Hawlucha's longevity, while allowing Hawlucha to scout for moves such as Fake Out and Protect before using Encore and locking opposing targets into these moves, Tailwind can be used as a secondary option and allows Hawlucha to provide the team with a form of speed control should the team require it

-Rain dance is another option that can be used alongside Tapu Fini, especially if Tapu Fini runs Waterium Z, as it boosts Hydro Vortex's damage by 50% while at the same time acting as a form of weather control against opposing Sand and Sun. Feather Dance can also be used to lower the opponent's damage.

- Hawlucha's support movepool is very flexible and can be changed accordingly to suit a team's needs, such as dropping an attacking STAB for another support move, or forgoing Tailwind for another move that can better support its teammates

-Misty Seed / Psychic Seed allows Hawlucha to activate its item immediately on the corresponding terrain, granting it a +2 Spe boost right from the start and allow it to support its allies both defensively and offensively with its astonishing speed using its amazing movepool. Max attack ensures that Hawlucha dishes out as much damage as possible. 28 Spe allows Hawlucha to outspeed Adamant Excadrill in sand and +1 Jolly Mega Salamence. 220 HP and 4 Def investments also allows Hawlucha to survive an Ice Punch from Mega Metagross. The remaining 4 EVs are dumped in SpD. A bulkier spread of 220 HP / 140 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SpD / 28 Spe can be used instead should Hawlucha only operate with one offensive move - allowing Hawlucha to survive Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice and Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain boosted Thunderbolt 93.7% of the time

-Hawlucha can be brought in early game to reliably set up Tailwind, providing its teammates the speed advantage needed to get rid of potential checks which pressure early game, or can be brought out late game as a win con, making use of its blistering speed and dual STABs to pick off weakened targets

-Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele are essential when using Hawlucha to take advantage of its Unburden boosts upon consuming the Misty Seed or the Psychic Seed respectively

-Tapu Fini is its optimal partner as Tapu Fini and Hawlucha cover each other relatively well, with Hawlucha having the ability to take out things such as Kartana and Tapu Bulu which threatens Tapu Fini, while Tapu Fini's Water STABs deter common Intimidate users Incineroar and Landorus-Therain from constantly switching in to lower Hawlucha's Attack.

--Tapu Lele can is also a potential Hawlucha partner as Tapu Lele benefits greatly from Hawlucha's ability to threaten Incineroar and Kartana, which otherwise checks Tapu Lele, and appreciates Tailwind support to outspeed and KO Pokemon it otherwise wouldn't be able to such as Mega Gengar.

-Pokemon with middling or awkward speed tiers usually benefit the most from Hawlucha's Tailwind such as Landorus-T and Tyranitar. Landorus-T checks Electric-types that check Hawlucha and can freely abuse its STAB Earthquakes due to Hawlucha's Ground immunity, whilst Tyranitar can check Zapdos who walls Hawlucha's dual STABs and appreciates Hawlucha checking Incineroar and Kartana.

Last edited:
  • Try and have the opening statement give a more frank evaluation of Hawlucha's viability. We want to make it clear Hawlucha is generally not the preferred choice on a team. The Overview doesn't have to read like a list of pros and cons as long as it flows well.
  • Remove Low Kick.
  • Make Tailwind the first slash for move 4.
  • Reorder Set Comments so it's talking about things in the order they're listed on the set: Moves > Item + Ability > Nature + EVs > Teammates
  • Mention that dropping one of the STABs is viable (Fighting or Flying) if you really need an additional support option.

Yuichi

umu!
  • Try and have the opening statement give a more frank evaluation of Hawlucha's viability. We want to make it clear Hawlucha is generally not the preferred choice on a team. The Overview doesn't have to read like a list of pros and cons as long as it flows well.
  • Remove Low Kick.
  • Make Tailwind the first slash for move 4.
  • Reorder Set Comments so it's talking about things in the order they're listed on the set: Moves > Item + Ability > Nature + EVs > Teammates
  • Mention that dropping one of the STABs is viable (Fighting or Flying) if you really need an additional support option.
changes have been made, please take a look

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
One of the things I like to do first is examine any EV spreads that aren't 252/252/4 to see if they're optimal

Your current spread of Adamant EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe

-Max attack to ensure that Hawlucha dishes out as much damage as possible
-Misty Seed / Psychic Seed allows Hawlucha to activate its item immediately on the corresponding terrain, granting it a +2 Spe boost right from the start
-4 SpD puts its SpD at an even number to take advantage of the Misty Seed's SpD boost
-148 EVs in Spe allows Hawlucha to outspeed Ludicolo and Kingdra in rain, opposing Mega Kangaskhan under tailwind at +2, as well as other stuff such as Excadrill in sand
-Rest of EVs dumped into HP to improve Hawlucha's overall bulk
148 Spe EVs gives you a Speed stat of 157, or 314 after the Unburden boost. Looking at speed tiers, 252 Jolly Excadrill has 154 Spe (and no one uses a +speed nature with Excadrill or Kingdra) and Adamant Kangaskhan has 152. You have more than enough Speed for your goals, and these do seem excessive - no one runs +Speed Excadrill/Kingdra, and Tailwind is slashed first.

I think 28 Speed EVs is ideal to give 142, which outspeeds Adamant Excadrill in sand and +1 Jolly Mega Salamence. I think more Speed EVs is excessive. You could make a case of outspeeding Adamant Kang (it Fakes Out Halwucha whilst a teammate sets up Tailwind) but it's somewhat specific given that most CHALK teams don't run Tailwind (they're generally Kang/Lando/Cress/Heatran/Fini/AV Kartana), and the less common Kang + Zapdos would rather go for Fake Out + Tbolt to KO Hawlucha.

I'd prefer a spread of 220 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 Spd / 28 Spe. You hit this benchmarks which you can mention:
Outspeed Adamant Excadrill in sand and +1 Jolly Mega Salamence
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 220 HP / 4 Def Hawlucha: 152-180 (83.9 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'd also mention a more bulky spread of 220 HP / 140 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SpD / 28 Spe if you're only running one offence move. You hit these defensive benchmarks.
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. +1 220 HP / 116 SpD Hawlucha in Electric Terrain: 152-182 (83.9 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Gardevoir-Mega Hyper Voice vs. +1 220 HP / 116 SpD Hawlucha: 146-174 (80.6 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, I feel you should elaborate on your Overview and teammates:
  • It should be clear from the Overview why you'd use Hawlucha on your team. I'm not sure why from your Overview.
  • Elaborate more on this: "outclassed by more popular support options such as Drifblim and Accelgor." Consider reading the VGC17 Driflbim analysis and VGC2018 Acceglor analysis; you might get some ideas
  • You could also highlight the advantages that Hawlucha has over Drifblim and Accelgor and link that to why you want to use Hawlucha
  • Hawlucha doesn't have a wide offensive movepool; I'd remove that point
  • I'd elaborate more on teammates. You particularly need to mention more about Tapu Lele - you've only mentioned it's a good partner but not why. Both Fini and Lele are the big partners

Yuichi

umu!
One of the things I like to do first is examine any EV spreads that aren't 252/252/4 to see if they're optimal

Your current spread of Adamant EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe

148 Spe EVs gives you a Speed stat of 157, or 314 after the Unburden boost. Looking at speed tiers, 252 Jolly Excadrill has 154 Spe (and no one uses a +speed nature with Excadrill or Kingdra) and Adamant Kangaskhan has 152. You have more than enough Speed for your goals, and these do seem excessive - no one runs +Speed Excadrill/Kingdra, and Tailwind is slashed first.

I think 28 Speed EVs is ideal to give 142, which outspeeds Adamant Excadrill in sand and +1 Jolly Mega Salamence. I think more Speed EVs is excessive. You could make a case of outspeeding Adamant Kang (it Fakes Out Halwucha whilst a teammate sets up Tailwind) but it's somewhat specific given that most CHALK teams don't run Tailwind (they're generally Kang/Lando/Cress/Heatran/Fini/AV Kartana), and the less common Kang + Zapdos would rather go for Fake Out + Tbolt to KO Hawlucha.

I'd prefer a spread of 220 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 Spd / 28 Spe. You hit this benchmarks which you can mention:
Outspeed Adamant Excadrill in sand and +1 Jolly Mega Salamence
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 220 HP / 4 Def Hawlucha: 152-180 (83.9 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'd also mention a more bulky spread of 220 HP / 140 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SpD / 28 Spe if you're only running one offence move. You hit these defensive benchmarks.
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. +1 220 HP / 116 SpD Hawlucha in Electric Terrain: 152-182 (83.9 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Gardevoir-Mega Hyper Voice vs. +1 220 HP / 116 SpD Hawlucha: 146-174 (80.6 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

• It should be clear from the Overview why you'd use Hawlucha on your team. I'm not sure why from your Overview.
  • Elaborate more on this: "outclassed by more popular support options such as Drifblim and Accelgor." Consider reading the VGC17 Driflbim analysis and VGC2018 Acceglor analysis; you might get some ideas
  • You could also highlight the advantages that Hawlucha has over Drifblim and Accelgor and link that to why you want to use Hawlucha
  • I'd elaborate more on teammates. You particularly need to mention more about Tapu Lele - you've only mentioned it's a good partner but not why. Both Fini and Lele are the big partners
thanks for the feedback, I've implemented the above mentioned details

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to be honest @Yuichii. This may take too much work to warrant to effort to help you write this analysis to a standard that is worthy of a QC check. It would likely be less work to reassign it or take it over myself (QC does not ghost write analyses). The analysis still needs a bit of work. The main issue is that you seem to blindly implement the points we state, addressing the very specific points that Carbonific and I have raised, but when it comes to more general stuff like giving a frank evaluation of Hawlucha's viability, they aren't done well, which leads to only minimal improvements in the the sections that need extensive work (Overview and Team options).

This is even more relevant considering the Pokemon is Hawlucha, which is an unimportant Pokemon in the metagame (it's currently ranked D in the viability ranking list) - both of our time could be spent writing or QCing an analysis for more important Pokemon.

This has not been addressed.

The overview is improved, though I'm still not sure why I'd use Halwucha. There are some attempts at this, but they don't describe Halwucha well enough. This line is your best attempt from the overview
-Hawlucha has a wide support movepool giving Hawlucha a variety of options, its access to dual STABs also allows Hawlucha to both function as an offensive support or a late game cleaner
However many Pokemon can provide offensive support and be a late game cleaner with dual STABs, such as Kartana and Tapu Koko.

The Team Options has improved but could still use some work to better describe the synergy between Hawlucha and its teammates. In addition, and as part of this, Tapu Lele is probably not the best answer to Tapu Koko - there is better stuff to mention.

You've partly established the differences between Hawlucha and Drifblim/Acceglor. It could be done better, but it's definite improvement and isn't that bad.

Damage calcs should be incorporated into the analysis properly instead of simply copy and pasting them as a point.

Outside of the quotes:

A glaring flaw in this analysis is that Hawlucha has mandatory partners. This is not mentioned anywhere in the analysis. Not in the Overview. Though the partners are mentioned in the analysis, it is not clear they are mandatory. It should be clear that having one of these partners is mandatory and why.

You mention things from the Pokedex too liberally. The Overview shouldn't be focusing on things that are easily found on an online Pokedex; it should be about Halwucha's use in the metagame and at least practical applications of things found in the Pokedex.

You need to have a usage tips section in your analysis explaining how to use Hawlucha. It's a mandatory part of the analysis.

Superpower could be described a bit more briefly than as simply a more reliable option than High Jump Kick. Reliable is also too vague - give a more specific description of the moves.

Try reading some of the other analyses on site, and playing more in VGC18 with Hawlucha to get a better feel of why you would use Hawlucha in the first place over other Pokemon, then try rewriting this analysis with our suggestions. Afterwards I'll have another look. Hopefully we can progress this through QC, but we won't if it would require too much ghost writing to do so - getting into a scenario like with this analysis isn't ideal for anyone.

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
This is definitely a major improvement! Good job. It still needs some work though.

I've changed the slashes for the support moves to make Tailwind the only slash - it's Hawlucha's best support move. Also removed Protect, added a comment about the ability to change moves to suit the team, and mentioned Sky Drop and Feather Dance in AC.

blue = add
red = remove
green = comments

[OVERVIEW]

-Access to Unburden allows Hawlucha to raise its Speed by 2 stages after consuming an item, coupled with a high 118 base speed, allows Hawlucha to outspeed majority of the metagame, allowing it to be one of the most reliable Tailwind setters

-Hawlucha has a wide support movepool giving Hawlucha a variety of options, its access to high-power dual STABs also allows Hawlucha to both function as an offensive support or a late game cleaner

-Its good offensive typing with dual stabs is unresisted by most Pokemon in the current metagame, however this is hindered by its below average bulk and offensive stats, alongside with Hawlucha's inability to stay in in the face of common threats such as Manectric, Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele, makes Hawlucha rather underwhelming offensively and an easy prey for these Pokemon. Its underwhelming offensive presence is also further worsened by the omnipresence of Intimidate in the current metagame. Manetric isn't common these days, definitely not compared to the Tapus

-It is also thus outclassed by other more popular support options such as Drifblim and Accelgor, which are both faster and bulkier. Drifblim's access to Will-o-wisp and Accelgor's access to Final Gambit allow them to better support their teammates defensively. Hawlucha's niche is being able to threaten Incineroar, Snorlax and Kangashkhan due to its valuable Fighting Type STAB along with its access to Taunt, hampering set-up sweepers from setting up and stopping opposing Trick Room/Tailwind setters. Better but could be done better. Accelgor is not bulkier, the extra Speed isn't a big deal, and Taunt is not a major reason given that it's not a primary slash. Accelgor has other useful moves in addition to Final Gambit, and both sport a Fake Out immunity (Accelgor in Psychic Terrain).

MUST MENTION SOMEWHERE IN OVERVIEW THAT IT CAN ONLY BE USED ALONGSIDE A TAPU TO ACTIVATE ITS SEED AND HENCE UNBURDEN

[SET]
name: Offensive support
move 1: Acrobatics
move 2: High Jump Kick / Superpower
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Encore / Rain Dance / Taunt

item: Misty Seed / Psychic Seed
ability: Unburden
nature: Adamant
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 Spd / 28 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

-Dual STAB attacks, Acrobatics and High Jump Kick allow Hawlucha to dish out huge amounts of damage against common targets that threaten Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele, such as Kartana, Tapu Bulu and Kangaskhan. High Jump Kick can also be replaced with more reliable options such as Superpower, which gives Hawlucha a 100% accurate Fighting STAB without any potential recoil damage but with the drawback of lowering Hawlucha's Atk and Def stats by one stage after each use. Sky Drop is an alternate choice to one of Hawlucha's STABs to disable an opponent for a turn whilst doubling as a weak STAB move.

-Encore can render targets immobile and unable to attack by locking them into moves such as Fake Out, Protect and set-up moves. In particular it discourages opponents from using Protect to stall Tailwind or to defend against Hi Jump Kick. However it can be replaced by Taunt can prevent opposing targets from using set-up moves such as Trick Room, Tailwind or Belly Drum in the first place.

-Protect prolongs Hawlucha's longevity, while allowing Hawlucha to scout for moves such as Fake Out and Protect before using Encore and locking opposing targets into these moves, Tailwind can be used as a secondary option and allows Hawlucha to provide the team with a form of speed control should the team require it. Tailwind is Hawlucha's best support move, and I believe it should be unslashed. It should be mentioned before the other support moves. I don't think Hawlucha doesn't have room for Protect, and it would only be mentioned in OO if we were to have an OO section, so I've removed it as a slash.

-Rain dance is another option that can be used alongside Tapu Fini, especially if should Tapu Fini decide to runs Waterium Z, as it boosts Hydro Vortex's damage by 50% while at the same time acting as a form of weather control against opposing Sand and Sun. Can use Rain Dance even without Waterium Z. Feather Dance can also be used to lower the opponent's damage. Hawlucha can use whichever of its support moves suit its team best, such as dropping Tailwind for another support move, or dropping one of its attacking moves for an additional support move.

Combine those most recent three paragraphs into one.

-Hawlucha can also choose to drop one of its attacking STABs in order to make space for an additional support option to help further support its teammates

-Misty Seed / Psychic Seed allows Hawlucha to activate its item immediately on the corresponding terrain, granting it a +2 Spe boost right from the start and allow it to support its allies with its astonishing speed using its amazing support movepool (it could also use an offensive move)

-Max attack to ensure that Hawlucha dishes out as much damage as possible. 4 SpD puts its SpD at an even number to take advantage of the Misty Seed's/Psychic Seed's SpD boost. 28 Spe allows Hawlucha to outspeed Adamant Excadrill in sand and +1 Jolly Mega Salamence. 220 HP and 4 Def investments also allows Hawlucha to survive an Ice Punch from Mega Metagross. The remaining 4 EVs are dumped in SpD. You make it sound like getting an even number is the 2nd main highlight of the spread. In reality every other reason is morre important. A bulkier spread of 220 HP / 140 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SpD / 28 Spe can be used instead should Hawlucha only operate with one offensive move - allowing Hawlucha to survive Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice and Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain boosted Thunderbolt 93.7% of the time

- YOU STILL NEED TO ADD A USAGE TIPS PARAGRAPH

-Tapu Fini is its optimal partner as Tapu Fini and Hawlucha cover each other relatively well, with Hawlucha having the ability to take out things such as Kartana and Tapu Bulu which threatens Tapu Fini, while Tapu Fini's Water STABs deter common Intimidate users Incineroar and Landorus-Therain from constantly switching in to lower Hawlucha's Attack.

-Tapu Lele can also be a potential Hawlucha partner as Tapu Lele benefits greatly from Hawlucha's ability to threaten Incineroar and Assault Vest Kartana, which otherwise walls check Tapu Lele, and appreciates Tailwind support to outspeed and KO Pokemon it otherwise wouldn't be able to such as Mega Gengar. from Hawlucha also allows Tapu Lele to reliably take on opposing Mega Gengars with its powerful Psychic STABS. Hawlucha can also take advantage of Tapu Lele's offensive presence, which keeps frailer Pokemon such as opposing Tapu Koko off the field, allowing Hawlucha to better function. Reliably take on is not a correct set of words to describe Lele beating Mega Gengar in TW, and you need to rework or remove that last point since it's trying to be far too general to be anywhere near correct

-Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele are also essential when using Hawlucha, since the primary strategy from using Hawlucha is to take advantage of its Unburden boosts upon consuming the Misty Seed or the Psychic Seed respectively. This should be at the start of Team Options, before every other point about Fini and Lele

-Pokemon with middling or awkward speed tiers usually benefit the most from Hawlucha's Tailwind support and can be considered as potential partners for Hawlucha, including Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Tyranitar. Landorus-T checks Electric-types that check Hawlucha and can Due to Hawlucha's tendency of being walled common Electric types such as Mega-Manectric and Tapu Koko, Landorus-Therain synergizes well with it as Hawlucha can provide speed control while allowing Landorus-Therain to freely abuse its STAB Earthquakes due to Hawlucha's Ground immunity, whilst Ttar can check Zapdos who walls Hawlucha's dual STABs and appreciates Hawlucha checking Incineroar and Kartana. I've both condensed points and went further into support options for Ttar instead of simply saying they appreciate Tailwind.

-Hawlucha being easily walled by common Fairy types such as Tapu Fini also makes Mega Metagross an amazing partner. Mega Metagross's STABs can also keep Fairy types away from Hawlucha while Hawlucha can threaten opposing Incineroars that try to switch in with its Fighting STAB. Mega Metagross, similar to Tapu Lele, can benefit from Tailwind and better take on an opposing Mega Gengar. There are multiple errors in this paragraph, especially the first two lines. This paragraph either needs to be reworked or removed.

Consider combining some of the team options paragraphs together; I combined this last one with some above.
-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)