Quality Control Haxorus (QC 1/3)

ScraftyIsTheBest

Clangorous Soulblazer
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not much to say about this. It's the same Pokemon it's always been since BW1.

Dragon of Hard Steel

[OVERVIEW]

* It's a good physical sweeper and wallbreaker thanks to ridiculous Attack and strong STAB in Outrage
* Has Dragon Dance and Swords Dance to boost power, which helps it wallbreak/sweep better
* Also has nice resistances that help it take on threats such as Serperior and Rotom-Wash and give it some setup opportunities
* Good coverage options in Earthquake and Poison Jab allow it to have an edge against Steel and Fairy-types
* Mold Breaker is a very good ability that allows Haxorus to bypass Unaware Quagsire, stall's normal answer to setup sweepers, making it an excellent stallbreaker and gives it an edge over other setup sweepers like Heracross
* Its base 97 Speed is very good for outspeeding slower teams, but is slower than a lot of UU's faster offensive threats
* Notably, it's prone to being revenge killed by Choice Scarf variants of Infernape and Hydreigon even after a boost
* This means Haxorus is best suited for breaking through slower playstyles such as bulky offense and stall
* Its bulk is average which makes setting up harder, since reasonably strong attacks such as Mega Aerodactyl's Stone Edge will do considerable damage to it, while it's also vulnerable to priority from the likes of Scizor and Mamoswine
* It's highly reliant on Outrage as a means of firepower, which makes it bait for Fairy-types to switch in and revenge kill it

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Poison Jab
item: Dragonium Z / Lum Berry
ability: Mold Breaker
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========
* Dragon Dance boost Haxorus's speed and power for sweeping
* Outrage is a strong STAB move that hits hard from Haxorus's immensely high Attack
* Earthquake is coverage for Steel-types such as Klefki while providing overall good coverage with Outrage. It can also hit Latias and Haxorus through Leviate without having to resort to Outrage.
* Poison Jab hits Fairies such as Azumarill and Togekiss hard, since they are immune to Outrage
* Iron Tail on the other hand is stronger and OHKOes Sylveon and Togekiss after a boost, but its middling accuracy is a letdown and can cause some very detrimental misses, particularly since Fairies can potentially OHKO Haxorus.

Set Details
========
* Max Attack and Speed investment along with a Jolly nature maximize Haxorus's power and speed
* Mold Breaker is Haxorus's most useful ability, allowing it to bypass abilities like Levitate, Filter, and Unaware from threats such as Rotom-Wash, Mega Aggron, and Quagsire, aiding it in its breaking/sweeping capabilities
* Dragonium Z allows Haxorus to have a one-time nuke with Devastating Drake without locking itself into Outrage, and also allows it to OHKO Gliscor after a boost
* Lum Berry can allow Haxorus to absorb one Thunder Wave from Klefki, as well as Scald burns, and undo the confusion from Outrage.

Usage Tips
========
* Haxorus is best used mid-game or late-game as a sweeper once its checks, such as Mega Altaria and Scizor, are removed from play
* Find setup opportunities with Pokemon Haxorus can take a hit from, such as Mega Manectric or Serperior
* Haxorus shouldn't switch in to moves since it makes it more vulnerable to being revenge killed by priority or reasonably strong attacks
* Haxorus can also be used earlier to lure in its checks and wear them down with Poison Jab or Earthquake, but avoid attempting a sweep until later in the game
* Another way to use Haxorus if sweeping doesn't work is to fire a Devastating Drake and wallbreak before it goes down
* Use teammates such as Scizor to aid in pressuring/wearing down Haxorus's answers

Team Options
========
* Entry hazard support is very useful for Haxorus to sweep. Klefki can provide Spikes and Thunder Wave support, and Cobalion can also work while getting Haxorus in with Volt Switch
* VoltTurn users are good for getting Haxorus into the battle more safely. Scizor and Magneton in particular make good teammates as they can also take on Fairy-types with Steel-type moves.
* Wallbreakers such as Primarina, Heracross, and Nidoking can either wear down Haxorus's checks or benefit from Haxorus's own ability to wallbreak and sweep to make for a sweep of their own
* Haxorus has tremendous wallbreaking potential even before setting up, and can use its raw power to punch holes in a team. Cleaners such as Choice Scarf Latias make good teammates. Latias is notable as it can heal Haxorus back up with Healing Wish to allow it to come in and continue wallbreaking against the opposing team.
* Mega Manectric can check Scizor, Azumarill, and Togekiss while it has good synergy with Haxorus thanks to its ability to let Haxorus safely switch in via Volt Switch
* Entry hazard removal via Defog or Rapid Spin is very valuable since Haxorus is vulnerable to priority and being worn down heavily. Empoleon and Mega Blastoise can remove hazards quite effectively, and the former can also set up Stealth Rock. The aforementioned Scizor and Klefki can also deliver with Defog.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Poison Jab
item: Dragonium Z / Lum Berry
ability: Mold Breaker
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========
* Swords Dance is Haxorus's main setup move here, boosting Haxorus's Attack by a lot and giving it enough power to wallbreak
* Outrage is an extremely strong STAB move that hits hard, especially at a +2 boost
* Earthquake is coverage, hits Steel-types that resist Outrage while providing overall good coverage with it.
* Poison Jab provides coverage for Fairies such as Azumarill, Mega Altaria, and Togekiss

Set Details
========

* Max Attack and Speed EVs to maximize Haxorus's Speed and power
* Jolly nature is used to outspeed threats such as Entei and Kyurem
* Mold Breaker is an excellent ability, allows Haxorus to bypass abilities like Unaware and Filter, making it so that Haxorus has a better time against certain threats like Mega Aggron and Quagsire, and prevents Rotom-Wash and Latias from ever having a free switch-in
* Dragonium Z gives Haxorus a one-off nuke that can allow it to OHKO the likes of Alomomola and Hippowdon after a boost.
* Lum Berry allows Haxorus to take one Will-O-Wisp, Scald, or Thunder Wave status while setting up, or can relieve Haxorus of Outrage confusion once for another use

Usage Tips
========

* This Haxorus set is more of a wallbreaker, meant to use sheer power to break through bulkier threats on bulky offense and stall
* You should ideally use it mid-game to break down walls such as Suicune and Hippowdon
* It's main use is to weaken down the opposing team with high power so that teammates can clean in the late-game
* Haxorus can often find it difficult to set up: in those cases, it would be more ideal to fire a Devastating Drake and/or wallbreak with attacks in general before it goes down.

Team Options
========

* Hazard support is useful for Haxorus since it can force switches. Klefki is a solid teammate who can also spread paralysis against faster threats such as Infernape, helping with Haxorus's matchup against faster offense
* Swampert, Cobalion, and and Empoleon are all also good choices for hazard setters
* Good VoltTurn users are appreciated to help Haxorus get in more safely. Good examples include Scizor and Hydreigon.
* Magneton is a pretty good teammate in particular since it can trap Scizor and Klefki and check Fairies such as Azumarill, Primarina, and Togekiss. It can also get Haxorus in more safely with Volt Switch
* Good late-game cleaners such as Serperior, Mega Sharpedo, and Mega Manectric can clean up weakened teams late-game and also handle fast offense for Haxorus. Since Haxorus is a strong wallbreaker, these Pokemon also have the appreciate its ability to pressure and weaken bulkier walls.
* Latias again remains notable as it can also heal Haxorus back to full HP with Healing Wish if the need arises

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
========

* Very small movepool with very little else to work with
* Choice sets such as Band or Scarf could work, but Haxorus is a bit slow to use Scarf effectively and it would like to use its coverage effectively to wallbreak/sweep
* Low Kick could work to hit Mega Aggron a bit harder
* Dual Chop is decent for breaking Substitutes, but it's a pretty weak move overall
* A dual-dance set with Swords Dance and Dragon Dance could work, but this forces Haxorus to compromise access to Poison Jab. It also rarely has an opportunity to set up twice to begin with.

Checks and Counters
========

**Fairy-types** Common Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Mega Altaria, and Togekiss can check Haxorus fairly well, as they are immune to Outrage, and can OHKO it in return. However, they must be wary of a potential Poison Jab.

**Steel-types** Scizor, Cobalion, and Klefki resist or are immune to Outrage, and can either retaliate with a strong STAB move or cripple Haxorus with Thunder Wave. Scizor can also revenge kill a weakened Haxorus with Bullet Punch.

**Revenge Killers** Choice Scarf variants of Hydreigon, Infernape, and Latias can revenge kill Haxorus fairly easy even after a Dragon Dance boost, though they cannot switch in safely. Priority from the likes of Zygarde-10% and Mamoswine can also pick off Haxorus with some prior chip damage.

Last edited:

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
ScraftyIsTheBest Get this out of WIP within 48 hours thanks. For the record, though, Choice Scarf really doesn't deserve its own set, so this is honestly almost done.

This is solely an unofficial check so it is better waiting for a QC member to go over this before implementing anything ^^'.

Overview
  • Also has nice resistances that help it take on threats such as Mega Manectric and give it some setup opportunities
    Mega Manectric almost always carries Hidden Power Ice which hits it super effectively, so I really wouldn't give it as an example.
  • Mold Breaker is a pretty interesting ability that allows Haxorus to bypass Unaware Quagsire and do heavier damage to Mega Aggron
    Instead of just calling its ability "interesting" and throwing those two as an example, I'd mention how its ability, Mold Breaker, favors it over other set-up sweepers in the tier because it enhances Haxorus' matchup against Stall teams which are reliant on Unaware users, such as Quagsire, to take on set-up sweepers.
  • Speed tier is really awkward, 97 Speed is just shy of Hydreigon and is slower than a lot of threats in UU meaning it's prone to being revenge killed
    Firstly, I would mention that Hydreigon can hold a Choice Scarf to revenge kill Haxorus after a single Dragon Dance, and secondly, I'd give more examples of Pokemon that may outspeed it after a Dragon Dance and revenge kill it.
  • Its bulk is average which makes setting up harder
    How does it bulk make it harder to set-up? Firstly, I'd mention how neutral hits from faster Pokemon, such as Mega Aerodactyl's Stone Edge and Terrakion's Close Combat do high amounts of damage to it. Secondly, I'd mention how its bulk makes it susceptible to common priorities, such as Mamoswine's Ice Shard and Scizor's Bullet Punch.
  • I'd mention how it is reliant on Outrage to deal great damage, which leaves it vulnerable to Fairy-types revenge-killing it somewhat easily.
DRAGON DANCE SET

Moves
  • I'd also give Iron Tail as an alternative option here on the 4th moveslot because it hits harder than Poison Jab and allows Haxorus to OHKO Sylveon and Togekiss at +1. The former threatens Haxorus back with a Pixilate boosted Hyper Voice and the latter threatens Haxorus with a Thunder Wave, potentially crippling it. Make sure you mention how the Accuracy drop hurts.
Set Details
  • Jolly nature allows Haxorus to naturally outspeed Heracross, Kommo-o, and Entei pre-boost and Choice Scarf Krookodile post-boost, while overall maximizing its Speed for sweeping
    I'd rather mention Gliscor over Entei because It may shut down Haxorus with Taunt. Haxorus resists Entei's STAB moves anyway and is susceptible to a Choice Band-boosted Extreme Speed, no matter how much times it used Dragon Dance.
  • Lum Berry can allow Haxorus to absorb one Thunder Wave from Klefki, as well as Scald burns, and undo the confusion from Outrage.
    I'd also give Rotom-W's Will-O-Wisp as an example of status it would love to avoid.
Usage Tips
  • Find setup opportunities with Pokemon Haxorus can take a hit from, such as Mega Manectric or Rotom-Wash
    I really don't like Rotom-W as an example here because it threatens Haxorus with a Will-O-Wisp.
  • I'd mention how the user shouldn't switch-in Haxorus, even not on resisted moves. That'd only make it more susceptible to Priorities, such as Scizor's Bullet Punch late game.
Team Options
  • I'd give hazard removers as an example of good partners because Haxorus is already vulnerable to priorities as it is.
SWORDS DANCE SET

Set Details
  • For the reason stated in the Dragon Dance set, I'd replace Entei with Gliscor as an example of Pokemon Haxorus wants to outspeed.
  • I'd give Dragonium Z as an item option because it allows Haxorus to OHKO walls like Alomomola and Hippowdon at +2 Attack.
Usage Tips
  • For the reasons stated in the Dragon Dance set, I'd mention why you shouldn't switch-in Haxorus on even resisted attacks.
Team Options
  • For the reasons stated in the Dragon Dance set, I'd also mention why hazard removers make good partners.
  • Because Haxorus breaks through the kinds of Alomomola and Quagsire, I'd mention sweepers that struggle against those, such as Scizor and Cobalion, make good partners.
Other Options
  • I'd mention Substitute and Taunt as options because they allow it to block status from stuff like Rotom-W and Alomomola, making its set-up process easier, although the loss in coverage is detrimental.
  • Groundium Z sounds interesting because it allows it to nuke stuff like Mega Aggron and Scizor.
  • Dragon Claw could be used over Outrage so Haxorus locked into Outrage, hence revenge killed easier by Fairy-types. Although, the loss of power, makes Haxorus miss on some KOs.
Checks and Counters
  • Togekiss can't OHKO Haxorus in return. Sylveon, however, lives a +1 Poison Jab and OHKOs Haxorus back with Hyper Voice, so I'd mention that.
  • I would split "Revenge Killers" into two points; Choice Scarf users and Priority.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
So I'll be going through this analysis with my own check and going through what Amane Misa 's done as well. Whatever I haven't mentioned to be changed or removed from Amane's check can be assumed to be ok in my book and should be implemented.

Overview

Instead of just calling its ability "interesting" and throwing those two as an example, I'd mention how its ability, Mold Breaker, favors it over other set-up sweepers in the tier because it enhances Haxorus' matchup against Stall teams which are reliant on Unaware users, such as Quagsire, to take on set-up sweepers.
  • Basically I think this should be changed; You can preface this same point Amane Misa's putting out there by initially mentioning Haxorus as one of the tier's best stallbreakers and that is the main reason it can be considered over other setup sweepers it competes with for slots like Heracross. Then you can mention how it's stallbreaking ability is good mainly due to the fact it has Mold Breaker which gets past Quag; stall's typical answer to setup sweepers. Overall it's essentially the same thing Amane Misa's saying just worded differently (better imo).
Speed tier is really awkward, 97 Speed is just shy of Hydreigon and is slower than a lot of threats in UU meaning it's prone to being revenge killed
Firstly, I would mention that Hydreigon can hold a Choice Scarf to revenge kill Haxorus after a single Dragon Dance, and secondly, I'd give more examples of Pokemon that may outspeed it after a Dragon Dance and revenge kill it.
  • Ok so with regards to this I'd honestly just change the wording entirely; I think it's important to mention how 97 base is enough to outspeed pretty much all defensive Pokemon so it's not as easily revenge killed on stalls but has the drawback of being outsped by many of UU's offensive threats. Adding something like "notably Haxorus, even after a boost, is outsped by many common Scarfers, such as..." or something along those lines at the end is a good idea. Examples can be Nape or Dreigon. Just mention how this means it's not the best when fighting offense and once again reiterate how its main purpose on teams is to combat stall or bulkier playstyles.
Dragon Dance
  • Honestly the items listed for this set should change; Dragonium Z > Lum. I'm not experienced with Groundium enough to know whether or not it's worth being in slashes or Set Details so I'll leave that for someone else. Either way Life Orb should not be slashed imo, it just makes stall beat you easier and less likely to do as much damage as you would otherwise.
Moves
  • Change the Earthquake point, instead of mentioning specific Pokemon just say it provides good coverage in tandem with Outrage by hitting Steel-types for s/e damage, as well as hitting Levitating Pokemon like Rotom-W or Dreigon without resorting to Devastating Drake or Outrage.
Set Details

* Jolly nature allows Haxorus tonaturally outspeed Heracross, Kommo-o, and Entei pre-boost and Choice Scarf Krookodile post-boost, while overall maximizing its Speed for sweeping
'd rather mention Gliscor over Entei because It may shut down Haxorus with Taunt. Haxorus resists Entei's STAB moves anyway and is susceptible to a Choice Band-boosted Extreme Speed, no matter how much times it used Dragon Dance.
  • Yeah don't mention Amane's stuff here.
  • The main problem with this description of Jolly is specific examples over generalization which is why Jolly is used in the first place. You can just lump Jolly's description in with the EVs description.
Usage Tips

I'd mention how the user shouldn't switch-in Haxorus, even not on resisted moves. That'd only make it more susceptible to Priorities, such as Scizor's Bullet Punch late game.
  • Mention this stuff but be sure to say this is only the case if keeping Haxorus healthy is important.
  • This leads me into my next point about Usage Tips; I think you need to mention how Haxorus's ability to sweep is most likely limited every game and if it can't sweep easily or find a good setup opportunity then the idea of sweeping with it should be thrown out the window and it should just try to fire off its powerful Z-Move or wallbreak as much as possible in order for its teammates to clean up after it.
  • Everything in Usage Tips right now is pretty focused on trying to make Haxorus sweep when in practice more often than not this won't be the case. I'd just try to get that kind of feel in well when this is written up, because I'm not 100% sure how well you can put it in bullet points. This more or less ties into the centrepiece of the previous bullet point.
Team Options

* Choice Scarf Infernape and Latias can revenge kill Choice Scarf Hydreigon and potentially work late-game if needed
* Mega Manectric can check Scizor, Azumarill, and Togekiss while Volt Switch allows it to help Haxorus get in. It can also clean late-game if Haxorus has pressured the team sufficiently thanks to its high Speed and good power
  • As it stands these two points are just kinda out there in no man's land. Preface it by saying something like "Haxorus has immense wallbreaking potential, especially after using Dragon Dance, and often punches holes into the opponent's team, making cleaners good Haxorus partners. Choice Scarf Latias is a notable example as, aside from cleaning, it can also use Healing Wish in order to heal Haxorus back up so it can wallbreak even more. Manectric-Mega is yet another good example of a cleaner due to its ability to check many of the Pokemon that Haxorus struggles with such as Scizor and Azumarill while also having inherent synergy with Haxorus due to its ability to safely let Haxorus switch-in through Volt Switch." You get the idea.
  • The Scizor mention is also in no man's land. Preface with a general statement like VoltTurn users are good partners then give specific examples. Magneton also fits in here so you can more or less see what I want from my previous bullet point.
Swords Dance
  • Items; same as DD.
Moves
  • EQ thing; refer to DD.
  • Outrage; "at +2" > "especially at +2."
Usage Tips
  • Refer to DD.
Team Options
  • Refer to DD.
Other Options
  • Mention that a set utilizing both SD and DD can be run but sacrificing PJab is generally not worth it.
C&C

I would split "Revenge Killers" into two points; Choice Scarf users and Priority.
  • Don't do this. Scarfers and Priority check Haxorus the same way; you can't switch in on Hax but you come in later after something dies and revenge.
1/3 after

Hello, since Haxorus is my favorite pokemon, I lurk in these analyses often, and I found something that needs to be fixed in the SD set.

Jolly nature is used to outspeed threats such as Entei and Kyurem before a boost, and outspeeds the likes of Choice Scarf Krookodile post boost
This being the SD set, remove the post boost part. Sorry if this isn’t my place to point this out or if I’m doing it wrong. I didn’t see this being specifically addressed in the other replies. Hope this helps.

amcheck, don't implement this
Overview:
* Mold Breaker is a very good ability that allows Haxorus to bypass Unaware Quagsire, stall's normal answer to setup sweepers, making it an excellent stallbreaker and gives it an edge over other setup sweepers like Heracross ----- Make sure this mentions PHYSICAL setup sweepers, as the special ones beat quag anyway.

* Its base 97 Speed is very good for outspeeding slower teams, but is slower than a lot of UU's faster offensive threats * Notably, it's prone to being revenge killed by Choice Scarf variants of Infernape and Hydreigon even after a boost * This means Haxorus is best suited for breaking through slower playstyles such as bulky offense and stall ----- Rephrase this to just say it just breaks through the defensive backbones of bulky offense, balance, and stall teams—Bulky offense commonly runs faster scarfers and Scizor, which prevent Haxorus from outright sweeping.

* Its bulk is average which makes setting up harder, since reasonably strong attacks such as Mega Aerodactyl's Stone Edge will do considerable damage to it, while it's also vulnerable to priority from the likes of Scizor and Mamoswine ----- Remove mamo mention, replace w like Breloom or something.

DD
Moves:
* Earthquake is coverage for Steel-types such as Klefki while providing overall good coverage with Outrage. It can also hit Latias and Haxorus through Leviate without having to resort to Outrage. ----- Give examples of Steel-types as Bronzong and Cobalion.

Set Details:
* Mold Breaker is Haxorus's most useful ability, allowing it to bypass abilities like Levitate, Filter, and Unaware from threats such as Rotom-Wash, Mega Aggron, and Quagsire, aiding it in its breaking/sweeping capabilities ----- Remove rotomw mention and replace with Bronzong

Usage Tips:
* Haxorus is best used mid-game or late-game as a sweeper once its checks, such as Mega Altaria and Scizor, are removed from play ----- Replace Mega Altaria example with Breloom and Choice Scarf Hydreigon. Offensive malt dies to +1 pjab after rocks. Mention in another sentence that bulkier foes like Mega Aggron and Sylveon need to be worn down to a range where they can be KOed by Haxorus after a dragon dance.

* Find setup opportunities with Pokemon Haxorus can take a hit from, such as Mega Manectric or Serperior ----- Haxorus takes a large amount setting up on mega manectric. Try an example like Azumarill locked into Aqua Jet instead.

Team Options:
In Team Options, Mention in a separate bullet after the line about VoltTurn users that checks to Scizor are appreciated. Include Magneton in this section about Scizor checks, stating that it can trap Scizor. Also include Moltres and Volcanion as examples of Scizor checks. Merge the Mega Manectric line and the Voltturn line, replacing Magneton as the Volt Switch example and then stating the Pokemon that mega mane checks afterwards. Include Rotom-C in examples of VoltTurn users.

* Wallbreakers such as Primarina, Heracross, and Nidoking can either wear down Haxorus's checks or benefit from Haxorus's own ability to wallbreak and sweep to make for a sweep of their own ----- Remove any and all implication that Primarina's primary role is to sweep.

SD
Set Details:
* Mold Breaker is an excellent ability, allows Haxorus to bypass abilities like Unaware and Filter, making it so that Haxorus has a better time against certain threats like Mega Aggron and Quagsire, and prevents Rotom-Wash and Latias from ever having a free switch-in ----- Remove rotomw mention

Usage Tips:
* This Haxorus set is more of a wallbreaker, meant to use sheer power to break through bulkier threats on bulky offense and stall ----- Mention balance too.

Team Options:
Once again, mention more Scizor checks than simply Magneton.

Other Options:
Mention Life Orb here. Decreases its overall longevity, so it's not optimal at all, but the increased power of moves can be useful.

Amane Misa's amcheck stated to add Substitute, Taunt, and Dragon Claw to other options, and Kreme didn't object to it and "Whatever [Kreme hasn't] mentioned to be changed or removed from Amane's check can be assumed to be ok in [his] book and should be implemented." You should probably add them.

Checks and Counters:
Please add a colon after each C&C header.

**Fairy-types** Common Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Mega Altaria, and Togekiss can check Haxorus fairly well, as they are immune to Outrage, and can OHKO it in return. However, they must be wary of a potential Poison Jab. ----- This is worded pretty badly compared to how things actually play out. Fairy-types are capable of easily revenge killing Haxorus locked into Outrage, but the more offensive fairies die to +1 pjab and the bulkier ones need to be very healthy in order to beat it. Haxorus always carries pjab on its main sets, so there's nothing "potential" about it.

**Steel-types** Scizor, Cobalion, and Klefki resist or are immune to Outrage, and can either retaliate with a strong STAB move or cripple Haxorus with Thunder Wave. Scizor can also revenge kill a weakened Haxorus with Bullet Punch. ----- Mention Mega Aggron here at the very least, Mega Steelix too if you feel it's relevant enough. They're capable of taking +1 Earthquake.

**Revenge Killers** Choice Scarf variants of Hydreigon, Infernape, and Latias can revenge kill Haxorus fairly easy even after a Dragon Dance boost, though they cannot switch in safely. Priority from the likes of Zygarde-10% and Mamoswine can also pick off Haxorus with some prior chip damage. ----- remove mamo add breloom

Bouff

Tournament Banned
is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
id put sd as the first set, as the meta has developed where kommo-o just does a better job at dd, and sd is a nice pick to make stalls life difficult

i feel like you can compress a lot of what of the overview into just a few bullet points instead of the amount you have right now, though i guess its not a problem when youre writing it up

mention in the overview that it faces competition with other dragons because its mediocre bulk and pure dragon-typing just doesnt let it set up reliably and gives it less defensive utility as compared to latias, hydreigon, or kommo-o

remove any mentions of rotom-w and mamo as its not in the tier anymore as cake said

dd;

earthquake doesnt hit haxorus through levitate, i assume you mean hydreigon there. but id just remove this mention entirely because doing that isnt really a selling point unless theyre already weakened and you already have a boost which is kinda specific

not a fan of the usage tips here, its pretty generalized overall. your examples of mons it can set up vs are kinda awkward. mega manectric doesnt even ohko after rocks but like in most games youre limited to getting a boost once, and its speed tier lets it get rked by scarfers and even puts it in range for it to die to scizors bp, unless theyre bulky sd and you get shit rolls on hp ice. serperior is kinda awkward too depending on the set.

the thing with haxorus is that you will never really find a great opportunity to set up with cus of the attributes i mentioned earlier. at the same time haxorus is still strong as fuck so using it as a breaker early game is an option as well. by doing this it becomes easier for it to clean up later on if it comes to that, and it wont always come to it. haxorus is more complex of a mon than just "boost and try to win at certain point" even if on paper its simple.

* Use teammates such as Scizor to aid in pressuring/wearing down Haxorus's answers

following on that id say you can expand on this a bit more. yes voltturn can do the wearing down, thats the point. but it lets in things that can wear down its checks further, because you can let hazard setters in, or you can just let haxorus in to nuke something immediately without a boost - you need to provide emphasis here, its not a mon reliant on dd even if its the main focus of the set.

id mention scarf chandelure as a teammate because it can check steel-types, latias in a pinch, and most importantly it can provide memento support to make it easier for it to set up. you can do this for sd too but its not as important there because fatter teams are easier for it to boost against anyway

most of the same things i said about dd can be applied to sd as well, though i think the team structures that you would fit it on require it to set up more often than you would for dd

for the c&c i think you should make a section for offensive pressure - what i dont like about your current thing for this section is that it implies that haxorus can only die through offensive means if its by things that are faster, which isnt true; there isnt a whole lot that ohkos haxorus that doesnt hit it super effectively but a bit of chip puts it into range for a lot of things, and sometimes in a situation where haxorus isnt boosted you can ohko it with a slower threat such as azumarill even if it means you're being chunked in the process - forcing it to switch, and potentially take hazard damage if they have it up is one of the best ways to deal with haxorus. if it gets a boost up it is obviously threatening but you have decent legroom to prevent it from happening depending on the team.

ill come back to this when you've updated it since im a bit tired and im probably not covering everything, but i think you should flesh this analysis out a lot before putting it in the writeup stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)