Hazards in Little Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
Hazards have played a huge part in the game that we all love today. They range from dealing damage, causing status, and even lowering stats. No one can deny that they are an important factor in many games, and having them on your opponent's side of the field can win a game for you (or lose it for you if they are on your side of the field). Every good battler knows how to set up hazards and how to keep them off of your side of the field.

Setting Up Hazards

Stealth Rock

When Stealth Rock is on your side of the field, it is one of the most annoying moves in the game. However, when it is on the opponent's side, it suddenly becomes one of the most beautiful things to ever exist. It does damage based on Rock type's effectiveness against the pokemon. In a tier that is currently being lead by high powered, fast paced Flying type offense, Stealth Rock can do a huge number to the opposing team. Flying types lose 25% of their Health just from switching in, so those Fletchling that keep running all over you will have to be much more cautious about when they can switch in. It also makes it easier to take out Fletchling with weaker priority later. This does not apply to just Flying types either, as no pokemon like to have their HP chipped away at every time they switch in. Another huge advantage to Stealth Rock is that it breaks Sturdy. Those Dwebble, Tirtouga, Diglett, and Magnemite (Abra was creative and learned to protect itself) just cause you so much trouble, don't they? You try to kill them, only to have them survive and Berry Juice back up to full health, requiring a further two hits to KO. However, with Stealth Rock, you bring that total down to one hit. That is a huge difference if you are on the edge of a win or a loss, and it can mean the difference between stopping an opponents sweep or continuing yours.

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -Sp Atk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance/Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Drilbur is a pokemon that sets up Stealth Rocks very well. It has decent bulk, and with an Eviolite it can tank a neutral hit or two and set up Stealth Rock with ease. Unlike most hazard setters though, Drilbur still has the fire power to hit the opponent back hard and not just be a suicide lead.

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 84 HP / 52 Atk / 92 Def / 236 SpDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

With an Eviolite, Tirtouga's defenses become high enough that even the strongest of attackers have a hard time KOing it. However, when you add Solid Rock on top of that to reduce super effective damage, nothing will be OHKOing it unless heavily boosted. This makes it a solid (no pun intended) choice as your hazard setter, and it can even help out with priority, STAB Aqua Jet as well.

Spikes

Spikes is a hazard that is similar to Stealth rock in that it causes damage to opponents as the switch in. However, unlike Stealth Rock, you can place multiple layers of Spikes and the damage is based on the number of layers instead of type. If one layer of Spikes is placed the damage caused is 12.5%, two layers causing 16.6%, and 3 layers causing 25%. This is a considerable amount of damage that will add up if the opponent keeps switching. However, it does not affect Flying types or Levitating pokemon and it takes more turns to set up so it is generally recommended to set up Stealth Rock first. If you have already set up Stealth Rock and still want more damage though, Spikes is a great way to get it.

Trubbish @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 36 Atk / 180 Def / 20 SpDef / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, - Sp Atk)
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Recycle

Trubbish manages to check Knock Off users due to Sticky Hold, and continue to heal itself with recycle. It also has Drain Punch to deal with Pawniard and other steel types that are immune to its STAB Gunk Shot. When Trubbish gets free turns it can also set up Spikes to add to the passive damage as the opponent switches.

Toxic Spikes

Toxic Spikes does not have a role in Little Cup. It is much more offensively oriented, and the games are so short that there is not enough time for the poison damage to accumulate. Also, by poisoning every pokemon that switches in, it prevents you from giving them other status like burn to reduce their attack, paralysis to reduce their speed, or sleep to render them incapable of moving. However, if you feel really inclined to use Toxic Spikes, it would be best to use it in a team that is more defensive and can make use of the damage over time it provides.

Tentacool @ Eviolite
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 116 SpDef / 116 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off

The EVs are like this to hit good Eviolite numbers, and after the boost Tentacool has a mammoth special defense stat of 27. Knock Off is for the ever useful utility in knocking off the opponents item, while Scald and Sludge Wave are for STAB. Liquid Ooze is the ability of choice because it punishes Cottonee's Giga Drain and the numerous Fighting types' Drain Punches by causing them to get hurt instead of healed.

Sticky Web

Sticky Web is a very unique entry hazard. It has the potential to be the most defining move in the entire game, changing the way battles are played and changing what pokemon are viable and are not. It has the effect of lowering the speed stat by one stage of every opponent that switches in. This is effectivly canceling all scarfs, but still restricting them to one move, and causing most of your opponents pokemon to by outsped with ease. With Sticky Web support, you will no longer need to worry about those pesky speed ties. However, there is one major thing holding this move back from being meta-defining: a lack of good users. In fact, the only three users of Sticky Web in LC are Sewaddle, Spinarak, and Surskit.

Surskit @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 36 HP / 20 Def / 196 SpAtk / 20 SpDef / 236 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Sticky Web
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam

Surskit would be the best Sticky Web user. It is generally used as a suicide lead with a Focus Sash to guarantee it gets the Web up, and with it's fast speed it generally isn't an issue. It then has the hard hitting, STAB Hydro Pump plus Ice Beam and Signal Beam for coverage. However, since it's a suicide lead, all it really has to do is lay down Sticky Web and it has done it's job.

Keeping Your Hazards Up

Unforunately, the only real way to keep your hazards up on the opponents side of the field is to take out their Defogger/Rapid Spinner. If their hazard remover is still alive, there isn't much you can do do to stop them. However, one thing that heavily dissuades the opponent from using Defog is having a pokemon with Defiant. Defiant increases your pokemon's attack stat by two stages every time another stat is lowered, and since Defog lowers evasion by one stage along with removing hazards, it causes your opponent to think twice about attempting to remove your hazards. If they do use Defog and you switch in on it, they have potentially set you up to sweep. Another thing that you could do to prevent your opponent from Rapid Spinning away your precious hazards is carry a Ghost type pokemon. However, this method of preventing Rapid Spin, commonly called "spin-blocking," is not as effective in Little Cup as it is in OverUsed. The only common Ghost types are Misdrevous and Gastly, but Gastly does not want to be switching into Drilbur (the main Rapid Spinner in LC) as once it switches in it just dies to a Mold Breaker Earthquake. Even Misdrevous does not want to switch into Drilbur as if it uses Earthquake it will KO you before you can KO it. So if you want to keep your hazards up, the best things to do are KO the opponent's Rapid Spinner/Defogger and carry a Defiant pokemon on your team.

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 1236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 Sp Def / 196 Spe
- Sucker Punch/Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Brick Break

Pawniard is by far the best Defiant pokemon, and it is even one of the best pokemon in the tier. It is used on 50% of teams, so that should tell you how good it is. It has STAB Knock Off to punish anything that dares switch into it, both damage-wise and item-wise. The Choice Scarf enables it to outspeed many more things and Knock Off many more items, as well as being able to KO Misdrevous, the other most common pokemon in the tier, without fear of Hidden Power Fighting or Will-O-Wisp. If you predict your opponent to use Defog to remove your hazards and switch Pawniard in, you will instantly be at +2 attack and ready to do some heavy damage. Yes, they removed your hazards, but now they are paying dearly for it.

Removing Your Opponent's Hazards

If it hasn't been made clear already, the two ways of removing your opponent's hazards are the moves Defog and Rapid Spin. Defog has the disadvantage of removing hazards from the opponent's side of the field as well as your own, but it has the advantage of being a more broadly known move. Rapid Spin only removes hazards on your side of the field, but it is known but much less pokemon. Sometimes you can get by for a while without removing the hazards as well. If you try to remove the hazards as soon as they are laid down, your hazard remover could get crippled and be unable to perform it's role later on in the battle.

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance/ Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Rapid Spin Drilbur runs the same set as Stealth Rock Drilbur. It is hazards 101 with this mole.

Archen @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Rock Tomb/Rock Slide
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

Archen is a great pokemon that can check many things, and it has a massive attack stat. It uses Berry Juice to refuel it's HP, get out of Defeatist's range, and power up it's Acrobatic's to max. However, it can't take an unlimited number of hits before it drops into Defeatist's range, so you have to be careful about when you bring it in to Defog.

________
Thank you all at Article Approval for reading this! I hope you enjoyed it and you liked the idea, as I would like to write even more since this is just an outline. I appreciate any feedback, whether it be good or bad, as I want to learn and be the best writer I can be for The Smog. I am also writing this with Sparkychild , so she would need permission to access the workshop as well. This article is also being supervised by Goddess Briyella . Thank you again for your time, and I look forward to your response! :)

Last edited:

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If Briyella's cool with this then I am. Approved.

Thanks for your interest in writing for The Smog! We'll work on getting you access to Article Workshop as soon as possible. You can discuss the progress of your article(s) on #thesmog (on synirc) with other writers - and keep the channel secret, however keep in mind this is the only place you can discuss your article(s). If you have any questions, feel free to PM any of The Smog Staff, otherwise enjoy your time writing for the webzine. :)

Toast++ y'know what to do.

hling Aaron's Aron

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
Thank you, I appreciate your giving me access. And remember, sparkychild will need it too (don't want to leave her out!). I will keep the channel a secret, and I will try my best to have fun! Thank you for your time :)

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
weird.. I didn't get this hl..

Will be adding you guys in a couple minutes

Edit: done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)