HeaL DeaLs in Art

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hullo, I'm HeaLnDeaL, and this is my art thread. I'm a BFA MFA art student and primarily work in non-digital medium, but this thread will house my digital fan art stuff (which couldn't be more different from my "serious" art, which isn't usually even 2D). I might post some traditional media stuff eventually, but for now this thread will focus on digital creations.

I'm pretty active in Smogon CAP, so a decent portion of my digital stuff deals with that somehow. Therefore I'll be dividing my OP into GameFreak Pokemon and Smogon CAP fan art. At this time I don't have a ton to share, but people have been bugging me a lot to make a thread, so here goes.

I use paint.net and pretty much always work on top of a pencil drawing that I scan/photograph and import as the base layer. I'm not that great with a stylus, probably because of my traditional background, but I've found this scan-and-trace method works for me : )

Sadly, I am not taking requests since I'm busy with school.

Art for OU Spotlight: Garchomp.

Art for LC Room article

Art for OU Spotlight: Landorus-T

Art for OU Spotlight: Heatran

Art for Johto Classic

For LC Spotlight: Corphish.

Art I made for Keldeo's OU Spotlight. I kinda miss my shading style I did for Altaria and Weavile, so hopefully that will return later. Sadly I have some more works I did after Keldeo that don't have my former shading style either, though :/

I made this one for Weavile's OU Spotlight in the Smog. I had a lot of fun working with so many layers and the transparencies between them.

I made this piece for an article on the CAP Metagame in the Smog. It features Volkraken and Mollux having an underwater firefight, partly inspired by how Fire-type moves work just fine underwater when using Dive in-game.

Thread art requested by sparktrain for the CAP Ladder Streaks thread. The concept is Aurumoth using Overheat while masquerading as a Manaphy. Finished 4/9/16, taking roughly 5 hours of work time. Kinda makes me pumped; this was also the return of my gradient style with hidden outlines for shadows and highlights, like what I did with Weavile and Altaria.

I made this to try and hype the first CAP metagame Team Tournament, and it's meant to show the fickle relationship and intense competition between Necturna and Colossoil in the CAP metagame; Colossoil's Rebound ability can screw with Necturna's Sticky Web while Colo's Guts can screw with Nect's Will-O-Wisp. At the same time, Necturna commonly runs Colbur berry to be able to absorb a hit and deal massive damage back with either Power Whip or Horn Leech, which are somewhat shown in action above (in general I think I really like these types of intense match ups, which can also be said to some degree in my Weavile vs Mega Alt). I might later continue on this piece and include more CAPmons into the battle.

This one's a bit older, and is one of the first times I started using paint.net's line tool to trace over my pencil sketches. The ribbon text from "wish" and "star" are from da font, though I had to go in and make some of the lines a bit wider with the eraser tool. I drew Sylveon's ribbons to spell BOWS, which stands for Bulky Offense w/ Wish Support; kind of a variation on stall. This art was originally made for a post I did talking about BOWS in the CAP metagame.

Morningwood Timburrs!

I made this one for an irl friend's birthday... His favorite g6 mon is Heliolisk, and his personal catchphrase is Be Amazed. This piece is my fastest completed composition in paint.net to date, in part because I was rushing in order to get it done in time. It took roughly 3 or 4 hours. The text is not mine and is from da font.

Last edited:
I love your both of your CAP arts, particularly the battle between Necturna and Colossoil for the Team Tournament. It's kinda funny how Fire moves work like any other move when underwater, as seen in the battle with Volkraken and Mollux. Maybe it's like how other non-aqauatic Pokémon can breathe just fine?

Your art is great, your thread name is greater :v no but seriously this is some nice work, the colours are real vibrant! :)

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Wow, your art is amazing, I'm glad you finally decided to make an art thread! :D

My favorite so far is the Helioptile image, which shows your unique shading style and eye for composition and background work perfectly. Lightning effects can be really hard to draw, but somehow you make them work in the image even without excessive lighting and shading. :O
Also, I'm quite surprised that it only took you a couple of hours to complete the image!

Generally I really enjoy the amount of detail you put into your art pieces, be sure to keep it up!^^

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Here's something I did for an article two months or so ago. I'm not pleased with how Keldeo turned out (particularly the pose), but I kinda like my experiments with the cartoony water. I will hopefully have more to post later... I've been doing more digital art over the past few months than I have in a really long time, but truth be told I'm just not "feeling" it... My physical art, which I've never posted here (and probably won't) is growing more and more conceptual and non-figurative, so doing mon art is kind of difficult for me to do now (at more of a mental level). I definitely want to explore digital media more, and making mon art has also been my excuse to do digital stuff. I'm definitely going to make more mon art so I can get better, but I'm also just at a point where I've been thinking of "what's next?"

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
sparktrain

Arting comments: Wow, I started my pencil sketches for this at 1 or so today, and it's 10:40 now. Probably only worked on it half of the time since I started (took breaks), so I'm guessing this took about 5 hours. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results in such a short time frame, and it's getting me kinda pumped :D ... of course, I was doing this when I should have been doing hw, so I'm hoping that pumped feeling will help me focus on that now >.> But anyway, it's exciting to do some digital art that I actually like again. The font is "breakaway" from dafont. I might tweak the colors a tad bit later, but it should be thread ready now.

The concept here is Aurumoth using overheat while masquerading as a Manaphy.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting

The article finally got released, so here's my art for LC Spotlight: Corphish. Was kinda a cool moment when I finally got the water to work out : )

Earlier I also did art for a Garchomp Spotlight, but I don't care for how it turned out so I won't post here...

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting

Here's some art that I made for the LCPL team that I got drafted on (the Morningwood Timburrs). It's pretty simple and doesn't resize very well, but it works for my first non-joke art for the team. There will probably be more Timburr art to come, and maybe some Mollux art thrown in there too.

LifeisDANK

Bird Enthusiast
is a Top Artistis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Unsure if I ever replied here. But I love this stuff! Especially the alolan Sandshrew and lil ghosty. The minimal backgrounds in these work well

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Did another article art recently, was a bit rushed.

Main reason I took the article was to have a bit of redemption after my sorta flat garchomp spotlight art from a number of years back (something I disliked so much that I kept it from my art thread).

Here in the new one I wish I could have refined some of the rocks and added more cohesiveness with more uniform cast lighting, and the posing/perspective of celesteela's arms could be tweaked.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)