Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
^ you can do swimming for cardio in the meantime, miles easier on the lower body than running or cycling and it has the benefit of hitting your upper body too. its very technique based though so if youve never swam before you should get someone to help you out

I achieved what I wanted i guess, 2 lbs lighter than I wanted but I looked good on the beach so meh. Gradually increasing the calories again now, i feel so much better with >100g of carbs again! Next target date is my next warm weather holiday in feb so got plenty of time to get fat and then shred again.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
I started lifting again and more frequently and seriously, not the younger me who smoke and drank almost everyday while lifting . Started a 16 week cut last month. May stop 4-6 weeks earlier though because I feel like I am making solid progress. Also started working construction 3 weeks ago M-Friday which definitely helps because my Basal Metabolic Rate(BMR) is a lot higher. Will post before and after the end of july or start of august some where around there give or take.
The shorts used to be really snug around my waist hence them hanging off my ass basically...

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHCaBMhjFXs/

As the caption says, have been mostly focusing on running this past year and have only been back in the gym for a few weeks while rehabbing a calf injury. Depth is actually probably marginally insufficient as it may have been a few kilograms more than I was comfortable with at this moment in time but still, 2x body weight squat and 2.5x body weight deadlift (will put that in the next video) isn't too bad for a guy who can knock out 10 miles in well under an hour, if I do say so myself! *run emoji*

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Hey I want to ask something-- is obesity in USA exaggerated?
I was watching US VGC National Championships , and I see that most people look very fit. Only one or two fat people, not even necessarily obese.

I mean, statistics say that in USA, around 1 in 3 people are obese.
But in VGC Nationals, maybe only 1 in 6~8 people are obese.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey I want to ask something-- is obesity in USA exaggerated?
I was watching US VGC National Championships , and I see that most people look very fit. Only one or two fat people, not even necessarily obese.

I mean, statistics say that in USA, around 1 in 3 people are obese.
But in VGC Nationals, maybe only 1 in 6~8 people are obese.
Nah small sample sizes. Plus I feel like you're stretching the definition of "fit" if you think that most people at a VGC are fit.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey so people. Apparently from a test I took and based on my answers I'm mostly an Ectomorph body person. For a clearer idea, it's kind of hard for me to either get muscular or fat weight, and I kinda want to get a bit more of a mesomorph body type. What type of diet and exercises would you recommend me? I'm trying to find out as many choices as possible.

Haven't posted in a while but here's an update.

I participated in a powerlifting competition which motivated me to focus more on working out to build strength rather than merely wanting to look good.

Here's a video of my squat:

Last edited:
Nice lift. what's your programming look like?
I've always ran a Push/Pull/Legs bodybuilding routine. After the university competition, I kept the same routine but switched to a lower rep range and focused on progressively overloading the weights with exercises like bench, squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, weighted chins and dips, Ab wheel and glute ham raises.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Haven't posted in a while but here's an update.

I participated in a powerlifting competition which motivated me to focus more on working out to build strength rather than merely wanting to look good.

Here's a video of my squat:

I'm not going to turn into a fat powerlifter though. Still gonna watch my diet and keep my bf% low. Took this picture maybe a month ago at the beach:

thats an impressive squat man especially the fact you went ATG. I respect that number

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
IMG_20160717_174620.jpg

So I haven't really thought about fitness modeling for awhile. My training has been consistent but my diet has been about what you'd expect from someone who works full time and has a second job, not terrible but not exactly dialed in. I saw my friend/pt 6 weeks ago and trained with him once + got a new routine and then didn't see him for a month and a half, until yesterday. When I told him about the spotty diet, he was fully expecting for me to rock up fat. Instead, he kept gushing about all the size I packed on and said he was blown away. He said I can continue to eat what I want for another month and then he wants me to cut, because he reckons I could get into photo shoot shape by summer. He's projecting me to reach ~90kgs lean and I'm 180cm tall, so that would be insane if I hit those numbers. Two main things have changed about the way I train.

1. I've actually switched to a modified all body split. My pt has split up my program in a way that I could train as little as 3 days a week or as often as 7. It's a 3 day split, so I won't be hitting any specific muscle group more than every 48 hours at best and usually longer. This beats the 5 day split imo for a few reasons, firstly that you're less likely to get fatigued during a workout because you're not hammering the same body part over and over, secondly because you can hit muscle groups more than once a week, which means more growth. The second thing that's changed completely is my time under tension (on most exercises, not squats lol that would be suicide). I do reps with a 3-1-3 tempo and the slower concentric and eccentric movements tear my muscle fibers to shreds and force me to use better form. I can't wait to see how much more I grow, like I said I never stopped training but the fire is now back.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Started seriously training in March for no reason other than disliking my body. I am 6'4" / 193cm and at the time I weighed about 185lbs / 85kgs. Pretty much what you would call skinny fat. I looked okay because I could hide most of my fat with clothing, but zero strength in me. No prior lifting experience. I was a really good pitcher as a kid and was decent at football/basketball due to my height, but despite the urging of parents/coaches/teammates I never got into lifting weights because I was too lazy/preoccupied with video games, and later, drinking/smoking weed and playing video games.

I was recommended Cody Lefever's GZCL method by an acquaintance who is an ex-college linebacker and now trains for powerlifting meets. The program follows a pyramid method where you combine heavy weight and low volume in the big 3 lifts, go 65-85% for high volume, and finish with accessory work aiming for about 60 reps in each of those movements. It is 5 days in the gym per week with 2 squat days, 2 bench days, and 1 deadlift day representing the primary movements. Also throwing some overhead press in there because it's by far my favorite lift. It's a lot of work and I've been wearing a belt (there's a couple for free use in my local gym) and knee sleeves etc. to protect myself during the big 3 because for the first month or so I was having crazy levels of pain in my knees and lower back. Fixed most of that up now.

Also got my diet in order because before this I knew jack shit about nutrition. I was probably eating between 2k and 2.5k calories per day. Decent amount of protein but not enough food for someone of my size to grow on. Fixed it up with help from a friend who's studying graduate-level nutrition and now I'm on about 3.5k calories per day and averaging 250g protein on gym days. Since March I've gained 30 lbs and now weigh 215lbs / 97.5kgs. No noticeable fat gain although I don't care too much, I just want to see improvement in the numbers.

I feel great, I look healthier (no more pale face and toothpicks forearms) and I'm moving way more weight than when I started. I know a lot of that is due to "beginner gains" and also from refining my form but it still feels great to watch what I can do slowly increase. Within a year I would like to be able to bench my body weight, squat 1.5x my body weight, and DL 2x my body weight - I think these are realistic goals and I won't be crushed if I don't meet them, but I will strive towards them regardless.

I didn't post this for any particular reason. Obviously most people in this thread are farther along in their fitness journey and could outperform me in most physical contests. It's more to keep myself honest than anything else - I don't have friends who care about lifting, and I am too awkward to approach anyone in the gym, so the internet is essentially my only outlet for this stuff. I hope to be able to look back on this post in July 2017 and be proud that I've stuck to my routine. That's about it. Thanks!

What beach is that are you still in wales cus that looks like my favourite beach

Just to make this slightly relevant...welll done lavos keep it up woo

6" 4' tall, 178 pounds
Resting heart rate: 46
Heart rate peak on a 16 minute 5k: 146
Heart rate 2 mins after that:102
Best half marathon time 1:09

Target fitness:

- Lose 4 pounds
- Sustain a 700 caloric deficit without counting workout burn
- Win a local 8 mile race
I do all that so I can impress a girl

Schedule:

Weekdays

-run to university 3 miles.

-run to gym 2 miles.

-Classic wrestling practice then 5 miles on the treadmill

Saturday: i usually do a 10 km uphill around the mountain , the slope is about 31 degrees.

Sunday: if I am not wasted from last night I take a 3 mil to the beach and I might also swim a mile if the weather is fine

Last edited:
My first time posting here, just had a quick question: does anyone know of/have tried any kind of "flabs to abs" workout program? I'm kind of a noobie to ab workouts and I'm looking for some help

Wow can't believe how quiet its been around here lately... Gearing up for summer here so great time of the year to be outdoors, etc.

Unfortunately a month ago i dropped a 44lb plate from chest height on my foot about 1cm before my toes start -- could have been much worse -- before the jokes, it wasn't because it was too heavy. Just my hands decided to let go or something. It was late at night.

Anyway, this week has been the first week i've been able to do any form of exercise for lower body, and it was great. Did some lunges (holding 20kg plate each arm), etc. Not allowed to squat/deadlift for another fortnight after my next scan. Been doing a lot of upper body though which normally I don't do much of but getting some nice gains.

My first time posting here, just had a quick question: does anyone know of/have tried any kind of "flabs to abs" workout program? I'm kind of a noobie to ab workouts and I'm looking for some help
Tbh, if you're doing movement based exercise (i don't know the word) with kettlebells -- there is a near infinite amount of circuit combinations, some normal core stuff -- rollouts, crunches, side raises, planks, etc. That should be sufficient. Beyond that it is eating... get 100% clean with your eating and that will get you there the quickest, I found. Track your macro's, keep an eye on your input/outputs to run a sustainable deficit and stick with it!

Stallion

Tree Young
IMG_20160928_135246.jpg

Posting a selfie of me eating tuna and rice to get some discussion going itt again. How's everyone going with their fitness goals? I'll give you all a lengthy update once I'm home from the gym!

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
having visible abs is a function of bodyfat levels. If you want sick abs go the gym and start moving barbells, then lose weight.

I am up to my heaviest in about 10 years. I am at 86kg and i was up to 89kg. Unfortunely i think a significant portion of that wasnt lean body mass. I am planning to bulk up to around 93kg and then lean out for at least the next 3 months to get to around 10% and then start another bulk from there.

Stallion

Tree Young
I am up to my heaviest in about 10 years. I am at 86kg and i was up to 89kg. Unfortunely i think a significant portion of that wasnt lean body mass. I am planning to bulk up to around 93kg and then lean out for at least the next 3 months to get to around 10% and then start another bulk from there.
Photos? That's not too crazy a weight gain, so its possible that there's plenty of lean body mass involved, assuming you were training hard, it wasn't too short a time period and you were eating protein!

One thing I just find shocking is how differently people treat you when you lose weight. I've always been a chubby kid, generally being 10-20 pounds overweight. I have always been into sports and exercise, but my main problem was my portion sizes and amount of sugar in my diet. Ever since starting University last year, I've worked my ass off trying to lose weight by completely cutting out soda and chocolate in my diet, in addition to forcing myself to eat fruits/vegetables at every meal. Doing this while playing Tennis at my school's team and going to the gym 3X/week made such a difference.

After about 6 months, I lost 30 pounds. My self-confidence and physical well-being shot up greatly, but I also noticed that everyone treats you so differently. Notably, my family and friends treated me with more respect, and strangers in general were way nicer (would smile more, be more attentive, etc.), and it was so much easier for me to make friends and get invited to parties compared to highschool. A part of that could be because if my increased self-confidence, but honestly people are going to judge on appearance, even subconsciously, so losing a few pounds makes such a difference.

Just a final thought. losing weight is worth it guys, every aspect of your life improves, do your self a favour and realistically assess your appearance and commit to improving it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)