Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

my two favourite tricep exercises are:

--> Skullcrushers
--> Tricep pushdowns but on the lat pull-down machine (with an emphasis on squeezing at the top of the lift)

I know the second one sounds weird so I searched to see if I was the only one and I stumbled upon this:

good enough for arnold, good enough for me.

If you have the option between pushdowns with a rope and pushdowns with a bar, always choose the rope. The thing with triceps is that there are three separate muscles that activate differently. For most pressing movements, the long head (the one closest to your torso when your arms are straight by your side) of the triceps muscle does very little work. Even on overhead presses. Skullcrushers and extensions over the head hit this muscle best, which is why they're basically essential for bodybuilders. Bar pushdowns don't really hit the long head either, but rope pushdowns hit all three heads equally. Close Grip Bench is the best for the lateral and menial heads, and also will hit your chest as well. Kickbacks suck.

Yeah, if you have access to rope pull-downs, those are MONEY. I've always had great triceps, and I owe it all to those and skullcrushers. He said "auxiliary" exercises though, so I assumed he wanted some not-as-popular moves. Dunno.
and just to comment on this, anything that targets the triceps specifically is essentially an "auxiliary" exercise, since the idea behind them is to be support to presses. Either way, you can get so much mileage out of the 3-4 big hitting triceps exercises (Skullcrushers, Rope Pulldowns, CGBP, and Weighted Dips) that any time spent on other lifts would be better used doing those. If anything, I'd recommend adding in overhead extensions since the long head of the triceps usually gets the least amount of work, and kickbacks are horrible for the long head. And I've said probably way too much on this subject as it is so I guess that's enough of that.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
fao DM:

experiencing quite limiting hip discomfort...nothing serious but it's making running a bit of a chore. flexibility and general strength seem okay in the affected leg (which curiously is actually my 'good' leg) and i'm sure the route of the discomfort is stability issues. probably as a result of returning to running after nearly 4 years away. done a basic google search and toyed around with some of the suggested exercises but was curious what had worked for you with regards to rebuilding hip stability? ty

After progressing well on c25k, just couldn't do week 8 (2 3/4 miles/4.5km). Feels bad... (sorry just needed to vent)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
fao DM:

experiencing quite limiting hip discomfort...nothing serious but it's making running a bit of a chore. flexibility and general strength seem okay in the affected leg (which curiously is actually my 'good' leg) and i'm sure the route of the discomfort is stability issues. probably as a result of returning to running after nearly 4 years away. done a basic google search and toyed around with some of the suggested exercises but was curious what had worked for you with regards to rebuilding hip stability? ty
Unfortunately for me, there is nothing I can do. I had surgery last March and I'm still not allowed to run/jump/take part in any strenuous/high impact activity. I can do yoga though, and I have found that as long as I don't strain the bad leg too much, I can get through an exercise.

Thing is, my problem was completely bone-related, meaning the muscles and connective tissue in my joint are fine. Sorry I can't help much :cloud:

Okay im just about to finish c25k and wondering what to do next. I want to increase my distance as well as 5k speed, so a plan I was thinking was alternating between:
-timed 5ks
-distance runs, increasing distance by 500m each run

Assuming I run 3 times a week that's about a mile gain every fortnight. Does this sound like a decent plan or too much too soon?..

fucking resolutioners

my gym was packed and I could barely do anything without any of those bicep curl warriors and fat whales making me wait.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
been trying out skullcrushers for the first time the past few times and come across a bit of a hurdle. i feel like my elbows are moving all over the place so i'm not getting the complete tricep movement i want, anyone know how to fix this? or should i just deload from it and get the movement perfect and the reload?

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thread Title Change

well its already been 4 days since new years. How are your goals coming along? i hope you're doing great with them. i myself have been struggling with mine in these first few days of the new year. I just wanted to make this quick post before heading to the gym to announce something new we are going to be trying, and that is intermittently changing the name of the healthy lifestyle thread (much like the youtube videos thread and the drugs thread).

So yes, thats what the recent title change has been about. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on this

been trying out skullcrushers for the first time the past few times and come across a bit of a hurdle. i feel like my elbows are moving all over the place so i'm not getting the complete tricep movement i want, anyone know how to fix this? or should i just deload from it and get the movement perfect and the reload?
Man, i didn't say much when the whole triceps conversation was going on, but i wasn't too fond of skullcrushers. i have done them many times and with good form, but still for some reason they just aren't on my list of exercises i liked (i wouldn't necessarily say they are on my list of exercises i disliked either :/)

anyways, shade, i would just go with what you said at the last part of your post. deloading in order to perfect movement/form is the go to answer for most questions in that category so you cant go wrong with that (or at least its a great choice until someone speaks up with a better answer to your question)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yes, go down in weight. Doing the exercise properly with lesser weight is more beneficial than trying to muscle out reps that aren't giving you the full muscle work.

I don't know how you can hate skullcrushers Nina. Greatest fucking exercise invented.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Digging the new thread title.

Also I'm having fun watching all the New Years Resolutioners clogging up the gym I go to. Can't wait til February when they've all given up and I can find free weights again.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
yeah i feel you waterbomb (and everyone else thats posted in here talking about how clogged up the gym has been because of new year resolutions)

In a weird way though, i am rooting for each and every gym clogger at the gym i go too. Maybe its because i see a little of the old me in them, who knows. Though i wonder if i would still be saying the same thing a few months from now if they all stuck to their guns and the gym remained clogged........i wonder. Nah i am totally rooting for them and not complaining one bit

There are some really funny spectacles at the gym right around the New Year's.

I'm moving, though, and where I'm going the gym is in my basement, so I'll miss it.

I haven't posted here in awhile. I'm up to 206 BW(20 lb. gain), deadlifted 2 plates last week, up at 205 for squats. Things are going along smoothly, still increasing in the load consistently without missing reps.

What do you guys do when you tweak stuff? I came home from the gym and a lower back pain from splitting wood 2 years ago flared up. It tends to come and go as it pleases, but how do you guys rehab? It's not enough pain to keep me from workin out, but I might deload to focus on form.

It started hurting during overhead presses. I use a bit of a hip thrust to jump the bar off my shoulders (the technique in question is described in this video: http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/video/platform_learning_to_press_2.0 and also the 3rd edition of the Starting Strength book), and I think I hyper-extended my lower back from not keep my abs and quads tight.

I looked them up to just see what they were and he mentioned the way you lift the bar and your elbows. Hope I helped.

Mmk on to what I'm here for. Like many people I want to get into ecercising but being a teenager with no money I can't go to the gym. I have a pull-up bar and adjustable dumbells and what not that I never use. Any exercises you guys can recommend? I want to aim to turn my fat to muscle since people say its easier to turn fat into muscle then it is to gain it. I am pretty damn fat now imo(175 pounds-5' 6), so anything will help!

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just pointing out that I'm glad we changed the thread name to my suggestion.

Oh and that I've had the new years off gym to recover from partying but that I'm getting back into a really strict training regime come monday!

So track officially started today, and I officially got back into lifting after being out of it for a long time due to cross country (which consumes all my time and energy in the summer/fall, and isn't really benefitted by heavy lifting as much as body-weight stuff anyways). Today was a simple bench+squat max day to gauge where we're starting from, and I one-rep maxed 140 bench and 190 squat. I guess those are ok weights for a 5'10'' 135 pound guy, but I know I could squat more if my form wasn't terrible to do being out of practice. The good thing about track is that I'm locked into 3 workouts a week for 5 months, meaning there's no going back.

I'll try to post progress and stuff here (I could post running times, but I mostly hurdle and that's not totally relevant to a fitness thread so idk) even though I honestly don't expect huge gains in my weights due to having a weak body type (my dad was like 5'7'' 100 pounds at my age) and having other priorities atm.

No, I consider myself an authority on this matter and it definitely should not.
Delta, I want to say something before this whole thing gets out of control. In 1967, in the hot desert sun, a woman gave birth to a boy in the back of old pick up. She was a whore. She left the boy at a local church. The father at the church didn't like children, but he knew that being a disciple of the bible he couldn't possibly not take the small kid. Instead he ended up taking out his frustration on the boy. At the age of three, the boy was forced to use the toilet. Let me tell you the little fell into his own pile of poop more than once. By the age of 5, the boy the boy was reading the bible and chopping wood for the fire. Despite the father's harsh character, the boy loved him and thought of him as his true father. By the age of seven the father raped him three times. The boy ran away. He survived four days in the desert by eating cactus and scorpions. He was finally found by a drug cartel boss, who took the boy in. Mr. Sanchez was his name, and he was immediately impressed by the boys intelligence and grown up attitude. Mr. Sanchez provided the boy with an education at a private prep school and a nice house. The boy had sex for the first time when he was 12, the next year he graduated high school. He was the school's star running back. The boy was lost, although he liked Mr. Sanchez, he never thought of him as his father. The boy went to India, were he became a spiritual leader of a large tribe of farmers. With his power he turned the several plots that each tribe member had into a large corporate farm and became a millionaire. His assets grew as he bought into other successful start ups. He often got ahead in business with his great leadership abilities, but once in a while he used violence. This was India after all. By the time he was 22, the boy had all the money he would ever need. So he bought a yacht and traveled the world for 10 years. For 10 years he visited every major port, slept with girls from every country imaginable, and tried every drug ever made (by nature and by man). When he was 33, he was walking on a beach in French Guiana when he met a girl of Irish - Native American decent. She bared his seed. It was boy, perfect health. He moved them to Argentina, then London, and eventually Vermont. The man was 45 now, he has seen everything, accomplished everything, tried everything. He skied down the Swiss Alps, been at the North Pole, swam with hammerheads, everything! Yet he has never done one simple thing that we all take for granted every day, he met his father. He never played catch with his father, he never talked about women with his father. He never would. He died at the age of 63 when his parachute didn?t open when he was base jumping from Dagger Mountain in Washington, USA. Over three thousand people attended his funeral.

Now Delta, I know what you are thinking. How does this story relate to me? Well I want you to go all the way back to the beginning of the story and remember the woman who gave birth to this incredible boy. Your mother is like this woman. Your mother is like this women because she is a whore.

source: I'm a psych major, also I misced for a while back in the day

i'm lactose intolerant and bulking

i am trying hard to build up tolerance to lactose and like 1/4 gallon of milk doesn't bother me but after that i get gassy. this is progress though because like 2 years ago even 1 glass of milk gave me explosive diarrhea. eventually i'd like to think i'll be able to handle 1/2 gallon, but that's a long way off.

therefore, what do you guys think of JOPAD instead of GOMAD? as in, jar of peanut butter a day, instead of gallon of milk. I can get peanut butter on the cheap so it's financially viable. but do you guys think that would be ok for me?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
I am also lactose intolerant. I have a couple spoonfuls of PB every morning with my breakfast shake (with almond milk), Smuckers All Natural creamy. Delicious and it works.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
so i finally worked out yesterday - basically just decided to stop making excuses for myself, and instead of staring at my body in the mirror and pining for the way i wish it looked, work to attain it! happily sore today, figure i'll work out the same routine every other day for a week to get me "warmed up" in general for the 2 month regime that i did once before, and will do even better this time. yeah!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)