Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
There is nothing that decrees you must drink a protein shake. Half of them are garbage anyway. Also, you have to be careful to pick the right one, because not all of them are just "protein shake," some of them are full of weight gainer, so you have to keep your ultimate goals in mind.

Protein is very important to weight-lifting though, because that's what your muscles use to rebuild during and after your workout.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
agreeing with DM, i'll just add this.

The better question to ask would be "how important is protein". The answer to that can be easily translated to the importance of protein "shakes and shit" as you put it.

Protein is very important and really i could type up an essay on its importance that would make even my most disliked college professor proud. therefor it is easy to see why protein supplements are so popular (the most popular? i wouldn't be surprised) and why you see them being guzzled down like water. I can comfortably say everyone of my friends that is serious about fitness or even those that just occasionally go in to the gym take some sort of protein powder/shake mix. It is also therefor easy to see why the fitness industry easily abuses and takes advantage of Protien when it comes to products. As DM said, there are a lot of bullshit protien based products out there, more than people actually know. at the same time there are also a lot of great ones out there. The major connection to both sides is money. Supplements can become a very expensive habit and i recommend it to those very serious about their goals and fitness in general. if not, then save your money and wait. maybe a little later down the road? Also keep in mind that if you are willing to make that little extra effort, you can find the protein you need in foods instead of these expensive shakes, powders, etc

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
agreeing with DM, i'll just add this.

The better question to ask would be "how important is protein". The answer to that can be easily translated to the importance of protein "shakes and shit" as you put it.

Protein is very important and really i could type up an essay on its importance that would make even my most disliked college professor proud. therefor it is easy to see why protein supplements are so popular (the most popular? i wouldn't be surprised) and why you see them being guzzled down like water. I can comfortably say everyone of my friends that is serious about fitness or even those that just occasionally go in to the gym take some sort of protein powder/shake mix. It is also therefor easy to see why the fitness industry easily abuses and takes advantage of Protien when it comes to products. As DM said, there are a lot of bullshit protien based products out there, more than people actually know. at the same time there are also a lot of great ones out there. The major connection to both sides is money. Supplements can become a very expensive habit and i recommend it to those very serious about their goals and fitness in general. if not, then save your money and wait. maybe a little later down the road? Also keep in mind that if you are willing to make that little extra effort, you can find the protein you need in foods instead of these expensive shakes, powders, etc
you gotta be thinking of the gains

Ninahaza

lol. Dem gainz~~

also ugh do not remind. Fuck cutting yo. i cant wait to go on my second ever serious bulk. sadly it wont be for sometime :(. on the bright side i am quickly making my way back to my previous BEAST cardio form. i can now almost do the same level of cardio i once was able to do at my highest. My stamina slowly coming back. i can feel my heart dancing once more when in the middle of a long intense cardio session. Never again will i attempt to ignore cardio no matter what it is i am doing, including bulking stages because that shit was bananas how far i fell of. i mean, to the point where i couldnt event last 20 minutes without feeling like falling apart when attempting to do some of my old cardio stuff

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well right now my diet is customized to have a lot of natural proteins including lots of egg whites, pulses, milk, yoghurt, sprouts, fish, chicken breasts etc and I'm consuming most of this on a regular basis, so I'm unsure if I need to go the extra mile and take supplements.

Well, in the middle of my first set of squats yesterday I ended up coming down with a killer sudden-onset headache. My friend that I was lifting with said that it looked like I was not breathing properly; while I was breathing between squats and holding my breath for the duration of the movement, I was not taking in enough air in each breath. This headache did not go away with motrin, so I ended up going to the hospital. Now it's been about 27 hours since this happened and the headache is still persisting underneath my narcotic pain meds, and I'm waiting on an MRI to see if there was lasting damage.

I'm really not sure where to go from here. I don't really want to give up on lifting without meeting any of my long term goals, but the idea of getting under a bar again after this scares the shit out of me...
everything ok? this sounds bad. hospital find anything wrong with you / mri done?

Yeah, I ended up being released from the hospital yesterday. It stayed pretty much persistently terrible for the first 48 hours, but after that it started dropping off a lot and I'm mostly okay now. They said the headaches were probably due to both improper breathing and a muscle spasm they found in my neck. I'm taking about 2-3 weeks off lifting, but I should be fine after that. No aneurysm or anything serious, thank god.

just started lifting about a month ago. hitting my calorie goal each day is a fucking struggle. how do you assholes eat so much?

anyway, ninahaza, just wanted to mention you and your thread are a huge inspiration. #reps4jesus

just started lifting about a month ago. hitting my calorie goal each day is a fucking struggle. how do you assholes eat so much?

anyway, ninahaza, just wanted to mention you and your thread are a huge inspiration. #reps4jesus
Try adding a tall glass of milk to every meal. Typically one of those holds two servings of milk, which with 2% milk is an easy extra 750 calories and 54 g of protein a day if you drink 3 glasses a day. If you eat the rest of your meals like you normally do and just eat plenty of protein your calorie goals shouldn't be too much of a problem.

It also is much easier in college when you have access to all-you-can-eat dining halls for every meal haha.

Guys, how important are protein shakes and shit?

I have seen people guzzle it like water during/post workouts.
if you don't drink a protein shake post workout within 30 minutes (the golden window of opportunity or something) your muscles will start falling off and you'll lose all your gains

not srs

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
if you don't drink a protein shake post workout within 30 minutes (the golden window of opportunity or something) your muscles will start falling off and you'll lose all your gains

not srs
You spooked the fuck out of me...

and then this..

Well right now my diet is customized to have a lot of natural proteins including lots of egg whites, pulses, milk, yoghurt, sprouts, fish, chicken breasts etc and I'm consuming most of this on a regular basis, so I'm unsure if I need to go the extra mile and take supplements.

Ninahaza

^_^.

Get those results son. I wish you the best of luck (though it has nothing to do with it haha) of course!

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
so i got me a spiderman outfit the other day

some cute girl came up to me and goes 'does that have padded thighs, is it one of those muscle suits?' i'm all 'nope, that's just me' and she's like 'wowwww...'

don't forget to do you legs, folks.

Ninahaza

True that brother, seconded. Today is leg day for me too, lol.

When i cosplayed as Rock lee at sakura con this year, i was referred to as the rock lee with the really muscley~ legs by the naruto Akatsuki group, lol. Nothing like wearing tights to show off your legs when you have them, eh lee?

anyways, yeah, dont skip leg days bro

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Funnily enough I find leg days less taxing, and therefore... more fun. Don't know about you guys

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
so i've entered a trail race tomorrow. 7 miles of off-road running and over 1,000ft of elevation. it's not gonna be easy but i've entered entirely on impulse - whenever i tried to prepare for a race i ended up picking up an injury so this was done on minimal notice (i literally decided to do it on Wednesday).

this is my first race in 4 years and also my first since being told i'd never run again on account of a degenerative injury so it's kind of a huge deal to me but at the moment I feel totally relaxed. I had built up my 'first race back' in my head for years...the concept of it got me through many of the darker days. it'd be a glorious victory with confetti and all of my friends would be there, fighting back the tears and offering emphatic thumbs-ups. but perpetuating that dream has delayed my comeback as i'm terrified for it to be anything other than that but i've finally accepted i just have to do this now and whatever happens happens. Last year this race saw nearly 600 entrants (including a gaggle of international level athletes) so i'd be content with a top 100 finish but i'm trying not to think about that. I just want to enjoy the atmosphere and competitive spirit of a race environment again, to overtake and be overtook, to develop momentary rivalries, to be in a sprint finish...those little things i've missed dearly.

so wish me luck or just check back tomorrow for a race report, i'm going to try and psych myself up now!

Ninahaza

Yes!
I just want to enjoy the atmosphere and competitive spirit of a race environment again, to overtake and be overtook, to develop momentary rivalries, to be in a sprint finish...those little things i've missed dearly.
And I hope you do just that. Good luck Lee. Have lots of fun with this

so i got me a spiderman outfit the other day

some cute girl came up to me and goes 'does that have padded thighs, is it one of those muscle suits?' i'm all 'nope, that's just me' and she's like 'wowwww...'

don't forget to do your legs, folks.
**Never skips Leg Day Crew**

Oh cool, there's a thread for this!

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and say that I'm overweight; I'm 15 years old, and sit at 6'2'' and weigh 233 lbs. While I am overweight, I wouldn't consider myself 'fat'. I have been playing football since age 5 (flag football ages 5-6, padded 7-15), wrestling since age 8, and started rugby just last year, my freshman year. So, while I am heavier than I would prefer, my weight is very much usable in the sports I play. That being said, I also lift very often, both being sports-sanctioned and independent. My bench atm at max is something like 185 lbs at 5 reps, and I have an 875 lbs leg press at 12 reps (i'm pretty proud of that lol), along with a squat that fluctuates a lot between around 305 and 345 lbs. My problem is, I want to start doing more, but I can't seem to break the weight that I've already gotten to. I don't know if it's that I need to start eating more quickly after workouts (and maybe watching what I eat in general) or that I need to frequent working out more, but does anyone have any tips on adding more weight to your usual workout routine? Also, I've also been interested in trying out recreational jogging, but I'm also not really sure when to start or how much I should dedicate in the beginning.

Thanks in advance!

i started lifting again 2 weeks ago, i know about starting strength and wendlers 351 but honestly, i dont think i have the experience to tackle wendlers powerlifting program. for the experienced weightlifters out there, i want to bulk up for basketball, would this be too dangerous to do? it's the workout i've been doing and i like it but if it's not going to give success or could be dangerous for my muscles I'd like to know and go with a safer alternative

monday: rest day
tuesday: upper body, main lift db bench (and eventually power clean)
wednesday: lower body, main lift squat
thursday: rest day
friday: rest day
saturday: upper body, main lift db bench (and eventually power clean)
sunday: lower body, main lift squat/dead lift

am i doing too much focusing on the same parts twice a week? should i slow down to a 3 a week rotation? or is this fine for a starter program before i feel more comfortable switching to wendler

@ Leafshield That leg press is pretty damn impressive.

As far as adding weight to your maxes, the things you have to discover about your body are how much time you need to recover and when you need to throw a curveball to it to bust a plateau. You should be able to develop a similar formula for your bigger muscles, something like 5-10 sets of 4-8 reps highest weight you can do once or twice a week to go for pure strength (endurance is usually light stuff daily). Once or twice a month do a big change in your workout, like doing squeezing chest fly exercises as a substitute for your benchpress (or just do both in the same workout) or something more extreme like doing sets of a push-ups for an hour. Doing a ton of high rep exercise is a good way to hurt yourself in a good way when you do it on rare occasion and generally focus on low rep high weight stuff.

As for jogging, no offense but ease yourself into it before you lose some weight. There's nothing wrong with being heavy but if you run everyday you'll hurt yourself. I'd start out at 2 or 3 20 min jogs for a week for a couple weeks to get yourself used to it, you really want to ease yourself in because it is high impact on your legs and overtraining is worse IMO than undertraining. I'd also probably start with intervals you can easily manage (run for a couple mins, walk one, repeat etc.) to kill the time. Daily cardio is very very good in every way so try to bike or swim or play sports or do something daily unless you're worried about overworking any muscle. It should help you push through your weight workouts and get extra endurance everywhere.

Good luck.

i would be very careful with running- im like 150 and 5'8" and cant run consistently on my shins/knees after a year of track/XC on pavement messed them up. if you do run make sure to give yourself plenty of non-running days and do it offroad, where the ground will be more forgiving.

if you have access to a pool swimming can really pay off, as it has very little injury potential and is a great full body workout. however it requires a bit more experience than just going out for a jog and i dont have any experience swimming solo (i do it for my school and a summer team) so ymmv. I haven't done any serious biking simply to exercise but do make a short trip to/from my pool 2-3 times a day. if you do bike for cardio make sure to do it outdoors as going on a bike machine is boring as fuck.

anyways as far as my fitness goes swim season is wrapping up, got our final regular season meet monday. looking forward to the championships because i have the 10th fastest fly time in my age group, and the fastest in my time division (our league groups swimmers by times), and im feeling confident i can do some serious work. one of the benefits of doing team sports is they hold you accountable to coming to practice, which i slept through this morning and paid for it in the afternoon. plus the social aspect is a great part of it. i dont know what im going to do after the season ends, because i have a month gap between sports, and no access to a gym or anything. i may just swim on my own but i dont think i will have the motivation to do so however

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)