Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
alright after playing against fucking Yogg decks all night I'm pretty sure it's my most hated card of all time. Fuck its randomness, fuck winning or losing based purely on RNG. I don't even care that I win against the decks more often than not, but seriously it's so unhealthy for a meta.

So I am not particularly fond of Priest (I find that with the exception of the spell damage deck it's very reactionary and No Fun Allowed to play against).

If I was gonna play Priest (which would mean I'd play Combo Priest or whatever it's called) would I want Malygos or Velen or both?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I literally just fucking mulled into an opening hand of Ragnaros, Onyxia, Cenarius, Yogg.

after a ridiculously horseshit loss to a shit cthun warrior zzz

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
alright after playing against fucking Yogg decks all night I'm pretty sure it's my most hated card of all time. Fuck its randomness, fuck winning or losing based purely on RNG. I don't even care that I win against the decks more often than not, but seriously it's so unhealthy for a meta.
Yeah facing these decks inspired me to use some fun, interactive decks of my own, such as Face Shaman and Aggrodin. I figured winning by turn 6-7 was an effective way to combat the fun, healthy Yogg decks that people are playing.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah facing these decks inspired me to use some fun, interactive decks of my own, such as Face Shaman and Aggrodin. I figured winning by turn 6-7 was an effective way to combat the fun, healthy Yogg decks that people are playing.
I cannot tell if this is sarcasm. If it is, Yogg is something that cannot be countered aside from rushing face. There is nothing to prepare against Yogg aside from, "maybe he doesn't fucking get it". I cannot play around double Mind Blast from a fucking Druid, I cannot play around Twisting Nether with a full board, all of which I would have played around given it was a card a deck I was playing against would actually play.

Yogg is the cancer that makes me almost quit Hearthstone (and I went through Miracle, Sunshine Hunter, Mech Mage, and Patron). There is nothing more "uninteractive" than a literal spell clusterfuck rather than good play.

Once again: Fuck this card and literally everything about it.

Reactions: Ary

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
How good is Yogg-Saron? Turns out he's preeeeeetty gooooooooood.

The ride is wild but he is at least consistently advantageous to the caster and the end result often looks something like "draw some cards, clear the board." So, like, he's basically DOOM!

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
I cannot tell if this is sarcasm. If it is, Yogg is something that cannot be countered aside from rushing face. There is nothing to prepare against Yogg aside from, "maybe he doesn't fucking get it". I cannot play around double Mind Blast from a fucking Druid, I cannot play around Twisting Nether with a full board, all of which I would have played around given it was a card a deck I was playing against would actually play.

Yogg is the cancer that makes me almost quit Hearthstone (and I went through Miracle, Sunshine Hunter, Mech Mage, and Patron). There is nothing more "uninteractive" than a literal spell clusterfuck rather than good play.

Once again: Fuck this card and literally everything about it.
I hate Yogg too I'm not poking fun at you or anything dude. I hate the card and it's made me want to quit some days too, so I hear you on that.

I'm literally running this because I don't want games to go to turn 10 anymore:

It's gotten me to Rank 4 and I'm going to keep playing. Idk if I'll get Legend or not but I figure it's worth a shot. I've been bursting down C'Thun Warriors and against C'Thun decks in general I've actually forced so much removal that they're actually finding meeting the 10 Attack condition for Twin Emps difficult.

Anyways, sorry if you thought I was being a sarcastic ass towards you or something since that's entirely not the case. I feel the same way you do about the card, all I'm getting at is that if you don't want to deal with Blizzard's great mechanics you have to use some "other" great mechanics of your own. I don't really care to run the list above but it's proven effective.

How good is Yogg-Saron? Turns out he's preeeeeetty gooooooooood.

The ride is wild but he is at least consistently advantageous to the caster and the end result often looks something like "draw some cards, clear the board." So, like, he's basically DOOM!
Definitely advantageous to the caster more times than not. After the Yogg druid showed up as tier 1 on the new tempostorm list I've been running into it a lot more. Lost some games where against them where yogg is played when they're behind and ends up drawing the caster a ton of cards, give them 5 secrets, and/or clears the board.

Just an update on what's going on: after testing some spicy brews of Midrange Hunter all month, I found one that actually performed well enough to crawl to rank 10. Admittedly, it's a lot closer to the standard lists running around, so I won't bother with posting it.

So, I decided yesterday to switch back to Priest, a C'Thun flavor that was good enough to get me to rank 9 with limited playtime last month but I hadn't touched it at all this month. I pulled another Mech Priest and tore up the ladder going from rank 10 to 5 by the end of the day. I kinda stalled out today though and was bouncing between 5 and 6 before a Yogg Reno Hunter finally put me on tilt :/. I plan to be at it all day tomorrow. Legend maybe? We'll see, but either way it looks like another deck tech is coming from my camp.

Karazhan hype, especially since Hunter got it's beloved Haunted Creeper back in Kindly Grandmother! :o

Damn. If only I had more time...

Rank 4 was the highest I could get. I switched to Midrange Hunter very briefly at rank 5 but didn't move rank at all. After over 100 games with this thing in the past 3 days, I'm exhausted. I have a newfound respect for the pros/ladder gods that hit Legend every month. I've done it before but the grind is VERY real once you hit 5 and above. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should idk. The players in this thread that do it often don't seem to think it's a big deal :P

I'll probably do a full guide or post my experiences on this when I get time. There is definitely something here in C'Thun Priest that I feel others are missing. It's not tier 1 by any means, but IMO it's the best Priest deck atm.

Matthew

Rank 4 was the highest I could get. I switched to Midrange Hunter very briefly at rank 5 but didn't move rank at all. After over 100 games with this thing in the past 3 days, I'm exhausted. I have a newfound respect for the pros/ladder gods that hit Legend every month. I've done it before but the grind is VERY real once you hit 5 and above. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should idk. The players in this thread that do it often don't seem to think it's a big deal :P

I'll probably do a full guide or post my experiences on this when I get time. There is definitely something here in C'Thun Priest that I feel others are missing. It's not tier 1 by any means, but IMO it's the best Priest deck atm.
To be fair the 5 to legend grind has taken me from either one week or to the end of the month. It's how comfortable you are with a deck and how good the deck is. You could be a great with a deck and get legend, but it's going to take infinite more time than an actual consistent deck that you're very good at piloting.

That being said four is still a good hit. I've been reading the Hearthstone reddit more and the amount of people that cannot even (or are even proud of) hitting rank 10 is absolutely baffling to me. So if that is a case to be proud of you have even more of a case.

Congrats! I'd love it if you did, as I don't really enjoy any class but Priest :( Otherwise I'd just play zoolock and be ok... What's your list?

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
Already lost 2 games to Yogg this early in the season! Good old Blizzard.

Anyways ended at Rank 5 after doing some back and forth between 4-6. I switched to Midrange Hunter just because it's something I never really play to go ahead and try it out to give me something else to ladder with if I ever feel like switching it up. It's quite fun playing Call of the Wild rather than having it played against you for once.

Speaking of beasts I still think Enchanted Raven is a very very strong opening for Beast Druid. I'm not entirely sure what else the deck needs (a strong late-game beast maybe?) but I think it's worth keeping an eye on.

Matthew

despite what Pugilist is saying, and at this point he's a troll with nothing to contribute (rank 5 saying "he doesn't want to get legend fucking "lol"). The difference between legend players and non-legend is just time committed and, despite what Mr.E says, skill. RNG is RNG, we are on a Pokemon site where crits, para, random freeze, burn, and inability to move make or break your game. The point is you control where those factors happen to your win percentage.

I've been playing a lot of Druid lately (one of the two classes that I have that are not level 60 and are not golden), and it's the only class I figure that is 100% dominant on opening hand. While having a Living Roots, Wild Growth, or Innervate is almost necessary to win in match-ups it is also possible to win without them.

In my legend climb, where I failed to get top 100 (rip Blizzcon BibleThump) I was able to understand the finer points of the game this meta. Curve actually doesn't matter if you drop something better for the same mana as your opponent. This is why Dragon Warrior is actually good. You drop above-curve minions and then finish the opponent off with decent end-game. There is nothing scary about Dragon Warrior end game as any other deck, and even if they do drop a 9/9 you need a plan, ahead of time, to figure that shit out.

There is a difference between relying on RNG (Tuskar, fucking Yogg, that beast card that names escapes me) and playing with and without it. If I'm taking a juggle to win the game I'm putting things in my favor. If I win or lose that turn is important but it's not why I won or lost.

Maybe I'm too much of an idealist, who cares. People who only get to five should never talk about the competitive aspects of the game. You have nothing to say other than "I am proud of this rank!" That's fine if that's the best you've gotten, otherwise don't even comment on competitive discussion.

edit: Where I say curve doesn't matter what I meant is that board presence is more important that a reactionary play. If I have a good Swipe and have an equally good minion to play I'm going to go for the minion over the Swipe.

Last edited:
despite what Pugilist is saying, and at this point he's a troll with nothing to contribute (rank 5 saying "he doesn't want to get legend fucking "lol"). The difference between legend players and non-legend is just time committed and, despite what Mr.E says, skill. RNG is RNG, we are on a Pokemon site where crits, para, random freeze, burn, and inability to move make or break your game. The point is you control where those factors happen to your win percentage.

I've been playing a lot of Druid lately (one of the two classes that I have that are not level 60 and are not golden), and it's the only class I figure that is 100% dominant on opening hand. While having a Living Roots, Wild Growth, or Innervate is almost necessary to win in match-ups it is also possible to win without them.

In my legend climb, where I failed to get top 100 (rip Blizzcon BibleThump) I was able to understand the finer points of the game this meta. Curve actually doesn't matter if you drop something better for the same mana as your opponent. This is why Dragon Warrior is actually good. You drop above-curve minions and then finish the opponent off with decent end-game. There is nothing scary about Dragon Warrior end game as any other deck, and even if they do drop a 9/9 you need a plan, ahead of time, to figure that shit out.

There is a difference between relying on RNG (Tuskar, fucking Yogg, that beast card that names escapes me) and playing with and without it. If I'm taking a juggle to win the game I'm putting things in my favor. If I win or lose that turn is important but it's not why I won or lost.

Maybe I'm too much of an idealist, who cares. People who only get to five should never talk about the competitive aspects of the game. You have nothing to say other than "I am proud of this rank!" That's fine if that's the best you've gotten, otherwise don't even comment on competitive discussion.

edit: Where I say curve doesn't matter what I meant is that board presence is more important that a reactionary play. If I have a good Swipe and have an equally good minion to play I'm going to go for the minion over the Swipe.
I'm pretty sure many people under legend understand probability management is a skill in nearly all games, especially because we're on a Pokémon site

And I'm also pretty sure you don't have the right to dismiss nearly the entire playerbase from discussion, stick to the wow emote in future if you're feeling hostile imo

'Maybe I'm too much of an idealist, but if you can't break top 100, I'm uninterested in your opinion about the game' is definitely something someone else could say and well justified, while you claim that you came to understood finer points of the meta on that run. You don't have to value the opinions of players with personal bests worse than you but you aren't the only person capable of assessing their skill (you have no idea what time puggy has or his actual skill so?? also it was clearly to showcase the screenshot so what...?? that post is fine fyi) or the arbiter of discourse. Discussion is also a way for players to learn and grow, which will then hopefully reflect itself in their play. Posts like this make the thread hostile at a time when people are trying to learn the game and games die due to absurdly elitist communities, so please try to avoid being so aggressive towards other users in the thread in the future

That being said you're right about the climb

Still need to craft fandral zzzzzzzz
> personal bests on druid without fandral
> crafts a yogg saron
> The Meta

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Above Rank 5 is a joke because win streak stars theoretically push everyone who isn't trash and regularly plays to that point. You can do it with relatively bad decks even. After that, who really cares especially if you've already hit Legend before, for the card back and proof to self/friends that you're good enough to make it. It's a grind after that unless you get stupidly lucky.

For the most part I don't make a big push to Legend anymore either, I've done it enough to prove myself and the chest rewards don't significantly improve after Rank 5. If I feel like playing that much or I go on a hot streak while questing, fine, but I'm not killing myself to do it. WOTOG release was an exception because it'd been a while since I actually did it, I think TGT metagame is the only one I never hit Legend in.

Druid still sucks though FeelsBadMan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)