ORAS UU Heat Linda $quad

What UU Mega is the scariest for you to face?

• Total voters

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Hello everyone, since school is starting really, really soon for me (tomorrow) I figured I would post one last RMT before then. Despite this being a fire Linda team, the team was actually built around a Beedrill + Tyrantrum core. It turns out Linda made a great teammate to these two, and despite its B- rank in the viability rankings, it is in fact a demigod. The fact that it was ever ranked C is basically committing one of the seven deadly sins. Anyway here is the team:

Teambuilding Process

The team began with M-Bee and Ttrum offensive core. U-Turn support is always great for slow wallbreakers, and their offensive synergy is pretty great. Not only do they form an "overload" core in which they keep smacking Steels with U-Turn and Head Smash (i.e Aggron, Doublade, Cobalion, and the rarer Steelix), but in many cases Beedrill can U-Turn out of a counter and obliterate it with Head Smash. Any time a Crobat, Forry, Gligar, Aerodactyl, Arcanine, or many other Bug resist switches in, it risks giving Ttrum a free Head Smash.

Fletchinder completes the offensive core by serving as the wincon/cleaner. After Beedrill and Ttrum have worn down any fat steels on the opponents team, Fletchinder cleans up with a surprisingly powerful priority (although it would be sooooooo nice if it got Brave Bird :[ eviolite where). Also, Fletchinder can take on a lot of steel types due to its typing + Will-O to cripple them. Empoleon is the exception of course but it doesn't like burns.

Threats so far were basically any special attacker ever, especially Dragons. I also wanted a more reliable fighting resist that could remove status, such as burns TTrum may sustain from Entei. So I went with the boring yet reliable Florges. Florges also provides a much needed Shark check and is known for being a pain for dragons everywhere.

Forretress was added for Rapid Spin, which was a must as I have both Bee and Linda. I also wanted Spikes which is just so nice for any Beedrill team.

Krookodile was the last mon to provide Rocks and Knock Off support to help facilitate a Fletchinder sweep. Also, being able to Pursuit trap Chandelure is huge since it is a pretty big threat atm. Also gives a Volt Switch deterrent which is always nice. And it is a nice Reuniclus check which is always a pain to play against, especially if you run Florges AND Forry. Krook is just so splashable and one of my most used mons :)

Come testing time, Entei was a massive pain and it put so much pressure on Florges to Aroma if Tyrantrum got burned. Furthermore I was pressured to make aggressive plays with Florges against Nidos, and Forretress was simply a liability if the opponent had a Ghost type. I knew I had to replace Forry as it was an unreliable spinner, and a fire resist was needed to alleviate pressure. Tentacruel compounds a ground weakness and has awful physical bulk, Mence is good but weak to rocks, so I tried out regular Blastoise. I had my reservations, but it actually puts in massive work and can bean so many rock setters, unlike Forry. Furthermore Entei is much less of a threat know and beats Doublade and Chandy. Jellicent is annoying, but can be trapped by Krook. I can also wish on the predicted Nido switch, get a bit of Lefties recovery, and go into Stoise and heal to full.

The final team after suggestions. See below for reasons on these changes​

Set Descriptions

Tyrantrum @ Stone Plate
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish​

Previously Band TTrum, now it is RP TTrum. Ttrum can still nuke things with Head Smash while also being able to set up and clean with Rock Polish. Thanks to jjsoshjca for the suggestion

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect​

Mega Beedrill is IMO the scariest mega in UU. It is never a liability simply because incredibly powerful U-Turns are never useless. I run Adamant because idc about outspeeding Bat, but Scarf Chandelure is more annoying but walled by Florges. Protect and STABs are mandatory, but instead of Drill Run or Knock Off, I opt for Toxic Spikes, as it puts huge pressure on teams that rely on fat waters not named Empoleon to check Linda. Furthermore I find many opportunities to spike up due to the immense amount of switchins forced by Beedrill.

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Def
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp​

This Linda set is fairly standard. The EVs are poured into HP and Attack to hit as hard as possible while having as much bulk as possible. Creeping Honch is not needed as Honch is rarely seen (thank god). Despite its poor bulk (please give Bbird game freak :((((), Fletch can check a number of mons, such as Heracross, Cobalion, Mienshao, Aggron, Forretress, Doublade and more than I may or may not be forgetting. A ground immunity is also awesome because this is like my best Band Krook switch in LOL.

Slowking @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Nasty Plot
Slowking was suggested to check Fire and Fighting types while luring on mons like Krookodile which can be threatening with Taunt to shut down Mandi. Colbur allows Slowking to live any Dark move and fire back with a Scald or Psyshock. Nasty Plot is the 4th moveslot to pressure fat waters which are annoying to switch into due to the nature of Scald. Again thanks to jjoshcja and dodmen

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog
Mandibuzz is the obligatory hazard remover for this team while providing Taunt support to shut down bulky sweepers and preventing rocks. She provides a crucial ghost resist to dissuade Shadow Ball spam from Chandelure. SpD Mandi can also take on Hydreigon as long as it doesn't have taunt.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 192 HP / 64 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
- Sacred Sword
Cobalion was suggested by dodmen to replace Krook for Rocks and has been a great boon to this team. Ampharos becomes much more threatening now, but Bee and Ttrum can revenge it. Taunt is to prevent Rocks which again suck for my team, and Volt Switch is for pivoting into one of my offensive threats. I opt for a bulky spread since I'm running 3 utility moves, and Sacred Sword is to kill Lax no matter how many boosts it has. The EVs let you live Fire Blasts from Hydreigon.

Major Threats
SD Variants with Aqua Jet are a huge threat. They can SD up on Mandi or Slowking and KO my faster mons with Aqua Jet. If it doesn't have Aqua Jet, Fletch can pick it off. DD Gatrs aren't threatening due to lack of immediate power + the ability to outspeed it with Bee if Adamant and Linda.

Easily abuses my defensive core and has the bulk to take a few hits from Bee. Keep hazards up and don't give it free switches.

Outspeeds all mons but Bee and resists Acrobatics. Never click Scald as long as it is alive. Tbh all electrics are annoying with my only resist being the SpD weak Ttrum

I have no real counter, but it isn't that bad. Scald however, is broken. It is pressured as hell by TTrum + Bee + TSpikes, but it can spread burns and annoy me. NP Slowking also pressures it but can be roared out.

No real switch in for it since Ice Beam can 2HKO Mandibuzz. They also absorb Tspikes and resist Rocks so can't be worn down easily

Moderate Threats
Rocks and TSpikes pressure the hell out of it and they are usually choiced, so Mandi + Slowking can resist whatever STAB it throws. Specs sets are the scariest since Mandibuzz can't take Fire Blasts at all.

Fuck Mamo.

With Cobalion, it is much less threatening.

Cobalion checks it but takes a crap ton from Blizzard or EQ. Linda also revenges it, as does Bee or TTrum if out of Shard range.

And of course, how could I forget...

SNEAKY STONES!

I don't have many since replays were dead for a few days, but here are some.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-266368977 Matchup vs Stall. It was a poorly built stall team to be fair, as his only rock resist has Krookodile, so TTrum just won. But Toxic Spikes do a number on his team anyway as Amoongus is pressured to stay out.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-266367265 Fletchinder cleans a rain team as TSpikes allow me to survive 8 turns of brutal assault under rain.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-266365971 Ttrum again takes lives after Doublade is weakened by Florges (lol Florges the Doublade counter).

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Adamant Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Blastoise
Ability: Torrent

Krookodile @ Black Glasses
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Synthesis

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Def
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Last edited:
The first 2 teamslot choices seem solid. Fossil dino is fun, Mbee is usefulish, Linda is Linda and a cool guy all around but I question the syngergy with the first 2, Linda likes waters, electrics, and rocks dead, not steel things.

So yeah, the below isn't exactly a full fix to the team, that would require more changes than I am comfortable tossing out at once. It can however make the team a semi functional offensive thingy for you to edit on your own.

You may want to play around with fast spdef taunt+Defog mandibuzz + CM physdef slowking over flower and fat turtle. Mandi gives you a pretty solid answer to the spoooky ghooosts that plague your team while providing a reasonable counter to roarcune's and defensive nidoqueen. Slowking acts as more of a pivot than a wall thanks to regenerator and can freely deal with both entie and fighting types not named heracross (who you should be able to ev fletch to set up on js) while providing a secondary wincon.

LO RP tyrantrum > band here, you badly need options to contend with other offensive teams and the slight loss in power isn't anything to write home about.

Again ev fletch to set up on common fighting types this can take a lot of pressure off king.

Edit, it's generally considered a "bad bad plan" to build offensive cores weak to Maero, js

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
The first 2 teamslot choices seem solid. Fossil dino is fun, Mbee is usefulish, Linda is Linda and a cool guy all around but I question the syngergy with the first 2, Linda likes waters, electrics, and rocks dead, not steel things. Krook also provides a check for Electrics, albeit not the most reliable one since their coverage moves smack it

So yeah, the below isn't exactly a full fix to the team, that would require more changes than I am comfortable tossing out at once. It can however make the team a semi functional offensive thingy for you to edit on your own.

You may want to play around with fast spdef taunt+Defog mandibuzz + CM physdef slowking over flower and fat turtle. Mandi gives you a pretty solid answer to the spoooky ghooosts that plague your team while providing a reasonable counter to roarcune's and defensive nidoqueen. Slowking acts as more of a pivot than a wall thanks to regenerator and can freely deal with both entie and fighting types not named heracross (who you should be able to ev fletch to set up on js) while providing a secondary wincon.

LO RP tyrantrum > band here, you badly need options to contend with other offensive teams and the slight loss in power isn't anything to write home about.

Again ev fletch to set up on common fighting types this can take a lot of pressure off king.

Edit, it's generally considered a "bad bad plan" to build offensive cores weak to Maero, js
Yeah you're right Steels aren't really bad for Linda, but Bee + Tyrantrum are able to lure in some of her checks like Empoleon, Swampert, and Rhyperior while Tyrantrum can handle most electrics 1v1 besides Focus Blast Heliolisk and Specs Rotom-C.

I changed the EVs on Linda to 100 HP / 252+ attack / 156 def. I don't want to remove any attack and miss out on KOs (+2 guarantees KO Hydra after rocks, for example) and this spread avoids the 2HKO from ScarfCross. Unless I pour all my EVs into bulk, it cannot avoid the 2HKO from BandCross' Close Combat or Shao's HJK.

I will for sure test out RP Tyrantrum, Mandi, and Slowking. However, I have some concerns including having a 3rd rocks weak mon so things like Taunt SR Krook can deny my defog and put me in huge trouble, especially since my water is weak to Dark now. Shark seems
to be more threatening w/o Florges and unless I keep up TSpikes it could sweep. Also, defogging away TSpikes seems counterproductive. I really like the Ttrum change though. Thank you for the help!

Yeah setting up linda on resisted/neutral choice lock aimed at kign is fine, you just want to be able to manage unboosted hits.

If darks are a huge problem you can just colbur king, lefties are just a luxury on him anyways (doubles as a lure for krook if thats an issue)

Shark gatr puff etc are going to threaten you with your basic team comp, just do not let them set up on anything you "need" and fodder the in for prior damage so linda can RK. if it's a huge issue slowking and mandi have a metrick fuckton of set variations so it should be easy for you to tweak on your own.

Slap taunt on your own krook it's not like you care about pursuiting chandy with a spdef mandibuzz in the wings, that + taunt on mandi will shut down most rocks without forcing the worlds most ghetto spin. Offense should not be spinning or defogging unless it gives a hard advantage anyways.

You can also just kill tspikes on bee to gain actual coverage for ye olde nido's if those become too huge.

Minor tweaks can add up and go a long way, this is by no means a list of all availible tweaks but it's enough to get ideas going hopefully. You shouldn't need and big changes in structure to make this a useable squad but I've been wrong before so...

If minor tweaks cant get you where you want to go: With the second ground immunity you also gain access to a lot of tech in the tyrantum slot if RP/DD variants still cant pull enough weight, magneton, and boring standard Rotom-C/H builds come to mind immediately. I try to avoid these big reworks where entire teamslot niches are changed on any team that looks remotely functional but feel free to start up a second team and try out variations if you have the free time.

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
Yeah setting up linda on resisted/neutral choice lock aimed at kign is fine, you just want to be able to manage unboosted hits.

If darks are a huge problem you can just colbur king, lefties are just a luxury on him anyways (doubles as a lure for krook if thats an issue)

Shark gatr puff etc are going to threaten you with your basic team comp, just do not let them set up on anything you "need" and fodder the in for prior damage so linda can RK. if it's a huge issue slowking and mandi have a metrick fuckton of set variations so it should be easy for you to tweak on your own.

Slap taunt on your own krook it's not like you care about pursuiting chandy with a spdef mandibuzz in the wings, that + taunt on mandi will shut down most rocks without forcing the worlds most ghetto spin. Offense should not be spinning or defogging unless it gives a hard advantage anyways.

You can also just kill tspikes on bee to gain actual coverage for ye olde nido's if those become too huge.

Minor tweaks can add up and go a long way and you shouldn't need more than that to get the team running smoothly.

If minor tweaks cant get you where you want to go...

With the second ground immunity you also gain acess to a lot of tech in the tyrantum slot if RP/DD variants still cant pull enough weight, magneton, and boring standard Rotom-C/H builds come to mind immediately. I try to avoid these big reworks where entire teamslot niches are changed on any team that looks remotely funtional but feel free to start up a second team and try out variations if you have the free time.
I'd be lying if I said you aren't persuasive LOL. Colbur King sounds great, I'm gonna test these out when I get home

Adaam

إسمي جف
After testing with the changes here are my thoughts:

Mandi is great. However, the lack of Aromatherapy is sorely missed as bulky waters are a huge pain in the ass now. Especially if they have Toxic, so mons like Vapo and Miltoic, although uncommon, are frustrating to deal with. Here is a replay showing what I mean:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-266595013

I misplay and para Milotic with Slowking instead of poisoning it with Spikes. With Toxic + Scald I have no switch ins, so CM Slowking can't set up and none of my physical attackers want to either due to Scald. Mandi has to Taunt it, spam Knock Off, and dodge burns to finally remove it. So, I opted to revert back to the boring ol Florges because I need a status manager. However, I finally switched to the CM set with Calm nature so that I can beat the Nidos if they switch on a CM.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-266592506

In this replay, Ttrum shines after T spikes do their job in weakening Swampert until it finally dies. After setting up on an Entei Turn 16, it sweeps the remainder of his team at +1, as only Honchkrow can touch it with Sucker Punch.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-266588722

He had no flying resists so Linda just won after Mence died lol

Agree with the above changes to Slowking and Mandibuzz. Blastoise is okay, but is just under way too much pressure on this sort of team as it's forced to deal with way too many physical threats than it can handle. Mandibuzz + Slowking gives you better checks to threats like Cobalion and Chandelure, this core was definitely a good idea. I'd suggest against running Twave on King however; like you mentioned in your post, you definitely don't want to para something that you'd rather have burned or poisoned instead. You could potentially try out different fourth moveslots like Calm Mind (or Nasty Plot to put more immediate pressure on Roar Cune).

You mentioned a weakness to a couple things including Sharpedo and Krook; even before you said this I was thinking how Cobalion might be nice as your SR mon instead of Krookodile and it seems that these new weaknesses you mentioned seem to support this idea. You can even retain the Taunt that jjoshcja mentioned; I could see VSwitch also being hugely useful to help you get safe Megas with Bee on bulky waters or free hits with Tyrantrum. Cobalion also gives you a check to miscellaneous things like Abomasnow, Mamoswine, Snorlax (all on your original threatlist). This does remove your one Electric immunity which sucks since you have two defensive 'mons that they can can come on pretty easily (maybe try Dtail on Slowking to rack up damage on them?).

The change to RP Tyrantrum was definitely a great one as well. What I love to do on RP Tyrantrum is run a Stone Plate to fire off big hits early game and possibly bluff a Choice, then set up late game if I need to as the opponent tries to fodder something off. Lum can be useful but is weak as hell; even though you have Rock Polish, most of the time Tyrantrum will only be able to/need to come in and Head Smash something instead of setting up. Adamant helps a lot too for the same reason: yeah Jolly will let you outspeed Scarfers at +2, but the number of times when you want the extra power >>>>> the number of times you'll wish you could outspeed a Scarfer.

Nice suggestions jjoshcja I think they really helped bring out the strengths of the original Bee/Tyrantrum/Fletch.

Summary: Slowking + Mandi sounds good, try Taunt VSwitch Cobalion > Krook, Stone Plate Adamant on Tyrantrum w/ Rock Polish.

Adaam

إسمي جف
Thank you dodmen and jjoshcja for the help. I have updated the team and new threatlist. Cobalion seems like a great help for the Slowking + Mandi core, although the Electric immunity will be missed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)