Heatran rain and a story to complain (Santiago, Chile. Oct 24th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up VGC subforum! You may already know me, as i'm one of the worst most active members of these subforums!
Well, here i am to tell you about what it was the first Premier Challenge in my country, on what it was my debut in official tournaments!

Ok, so first of all, i'll get into the team i used:

Well, at first glance it looks like a pretty standard rain team until you look to the last member. That's right: I choose Heatran as last member. Heatran may look like a weird choice given that rain weakens Fire-type attacks which are Heatran's main resource for damage, but if you get deeper into rain as the archetype it is, Heatran is able to handle 2 big threats that threaten rain: Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame. I tested this concept out in PS! where i got some success, even beating a Top Cut player with it. So i wanted to bring it out to Chile, where it didn't have nearly as much success as it had before.

If i had to make a modification at the simple glance it would be Rotom-H > Heatran, as it does almost the same thing that Heatran just that being able to check Landorus-T safely, thanks to Levitate and Will-O-Wisp. It also CAN DO DAMAGE under rain. I refuse to believe Earth Power can be called a damaging move. It's more of the "OHKO opposing Heatran" button.

The day before the Premier Challenge:

That day i finally stopped breeding the team and adjusting the assets. I played 3 players from here, this being Ksh13 , Mishimono and GiraGoomy , with a random Ilikebugs popping from somewhere in the VGC ladder. Won the first game, lost the other 2 because of some unfortunate events (Critical hit in the case of Mishimono , freeze in favor of GiraGoomy ) and some misplays from my part.

After my battle with GiraGoomy , i decided to switch Aegislash's Life Orb to Safety Goggles, which would give my team a better matchup against Breloom and Amoonguss.

The day of the tournament

I woke up at 6:00 AM to start getting everything ready. Got out of home at 7:00, and i arrived at the place of the event at 8:15. I don't know why people complain about it being the 2nd floor of a supermarket: the place itself is a food court which is convinient for lunch and the place is pretty big as well, so i felt pretty comfortable. However, the place opened at 10:00 AM. So yeah, i stayed there for like, 2 hours.

IMG_20151024_091822.jpg

After that, one of the TCG judges told us to access from another stairs to get there: TGC registration went pretty quickly.
But what about VGC? Well, truth is, the sign ups were supposed to open at 11:00 AM, but the judges didn't arrive in time. 11:30 and there was no news about them. I finally was able to see a VGC player, which was a friend of Omar Acuña (the same guy that kicked me out of the Pokemon Day, who i'm pretty sure Braverius can remember as well), one of the best VGC players of our country. And you know what happens when 2 players meet? A battle!
Both of us played with a team that wasn't the team that we brought for the premier: He played with a "made-up" sun team, and i played with a variation of Roses and Thorns. We played a best-of-three series, where i won 4-0 first match and 2-0 second match. The guy told me his name and nickname, which i can just remember the latter (lol i'm a terrible friend). It was kazekiri.
He told me that Omar has been tutoring him for a week so he thought that he wouldn't really achieve much, but the guy played really well considering he has been playing for a week! (#TGHomero4B101)
So after that, we waited. The first judge arrived at 12:30, which proves how good chilean organization is, and then we met up with some other players later.
At 2:00 PM, the tournament didn't start, so I accompanied kazekiri to buy some lunch. I knew from the beggining that i didn't have any lunch money but kazekiri was nice with me and gave me some french fries and chicken nuggets. kazekiri, if you're reading this, thanks!

After the lunch, the expectative was this:

IMG_20151024_122450.jpg

I was pretty surprised myself there was such a big line for registration! Even players like Estephan Valdebenito (Pephan in Nugget Bridge) showed up there! See that guy with the Mudkip cap who wears blue everything? That was him.
Boah also showed himself, so did all the players that had their worlds invite this year. In the end, we were 64, but a guy dropped and we ended up being 63.

At 3:30, everything began. Round one pairings were up that late due to severe organization troubles (a senior ended up being in masters) but everything went smoothly, thanks to the rest-less rounds and the good will of the players.

Ok, so let's see my awful performance!

Round 1 vs Christopher Soto (only name i remember lol)

He brought:
Manectric - Suicune - Breloom - Talonflame

I brought:
Aegislash - Heatran - Salamence - Ludicolo

Well, this match was something that revealed how Snarl weak my team was, because my team had 5 special attackers and one mixed. This match was the most important match of the tournament which made me realise how bad my team was, and make me wish i brought my Roses and Thorns variation. Salamence barely did 60% to Suicune and i always left that -5 Heatran on the field. Had to fodder Aegislash to preserve Ludicolo. Ended up having that -5 Heatran + my AV Ludicolo versus his Mega Manectric + his Suicune. This match was haxless, so i lost to timer when the Heatran stayed there versus his Suicune and his Mega Manectric.

L 0-1

Round 2 vs Keita

He brought: Metagross - Zapdos - Swampert - Terrakion

I brought: Politoed - Ludicolo - Salamence - Aegislash

I led PoliLudi while he led Metagross + Zapdos. I predict him to expect the classic Fake Out + Scald and inmediatly switched out Ludicolo into Aegislash. Big mistake. He sets his Tailwind and goes for Substitute with Metagross, while i go for Scald on Metagross and i break the sub. Turn two i expect the Protect + Thunderbolt so i went for Helping Hand + Shadow Ball into Zapdos. Yet again i was wrong. Everything went downhill since then. The turn where i made the biggest mistake was when i was staring at a -2 Mega Metagross and a Swampert which was obviously physical vs my Ludicolo and my Aegislash. The Swampert had just protected. I went for Scald into MegaGross and went for King's Shield with Aegislash. He had a Terrakion in the back. GG.

L 0-2

Round 3 vs Himoru

He brought: Tyranitar - Togekiss - Azumarill - Milotic

I brought : Sylveon - Salamence - Politoed - Ludicolo

I expected a Tyranitar lead so i didn't lead PoliLudi for the same reason, however, i didn't expect it to be Mega Tyranitar! My switch into Poli was useless as i was forced to switch it out again. CM Sylveon did amazingly vs his team. In the end, PoliLudi under rain finished his Mega Tyranitar.

W 1-2

Round 4 vs Juaco

He brought: Scrafty - Thundurus - Gardevoir - Amoonguss

I brought: Heatran - Sylveon - Aegislash - Ludicolo

Pretty close match. Lost to a Wide Guard prediction from my opponent, smartly doubling up into my Sylveon.

L 1-3

From here, i honestly considered dropping. However, i was not going to be like Verlisify and drop after such a bad score. I wanted to fight till the end!

Round 5 vs JUANK

He brought: Ludicolo - Thundurus - Greninja - Politoed

I brought: Ludicolo - Sylveon - Aegislash - Salamence

Full rain LOL. I remember this guy having Hydro Pump Ludicolo, Blizzard Politoed and Blizzard Greninja, and everytime he missed he complained about hax.

W 2-3

Round 6 vs FRIKI~LCS

He brought: Metagross - Golduck - Conkeldurr - Landorus-T

I brought: Politoed - Aegislash - Ludicolo - Sylveon

Another MegaGross, oh boy. The Scarf Screech Golduck caught me so off guard that i couldn't call Aegislash a counter to MegaGross anymore. In the end, my Sylveon picked up a weakened Lando-T + Conkeldurr for the win.

W 3-3

IMG_20151024_182658.jpg

In the end, i finished up 40th which isn't something i'm proud about, but if you look 3 places under me... You'll see Omar Acuña there! This proves one thing: Chile's VGC community's level gap isn't wide and even a day 2 worlds qualifier can do badly at a PC here!

Well, after Swiss I was pretty tired and dissapointed, so i proceed to leave to home. It was a really fun experience though! I met really wonderful people there so count with me for the next PC!

Well, that's it. Now some nice shotouts:

Ksh13 , man, thanks for the Heatran! It did pretty well almost every match i brought it!
DaAwesomeDude1 why can't i never catch you in PS!?
Serapis if i learned something from you, is to never give up your ideals. Well deserved victory, regional champ!
Mishimono a fun guy in general n_n
ProjectTitan313 you're the guy that keeps some of the subforums alive. Expecting you to have at least 1 post per thread. YOU'RE EVERYWHERE!!!
Demantoid dude, next PC i'm using your TBW team. It's the best team i've ever built
FloristtheBudew thanks for that best-of-three set man! If it wasn't for you i wouldn't have realised about my Ludicolo EV spread
AuraStormLucario best VGC mod n_n
m00ns thanks for willing to tutor me! I need to get back into OU so badly
GiraGoomy this man is a really good VGC player. It's a shame i was so bad at organizing B101 sessions. Otherwise i think this would have been another story.
The Bravest Bird you're a bad pun
Eyan UU lorde, save us from AM
Mudvayne you have been one of the best users i've ever met on PS! You're worth your driver.
Kreme i'm sure i'll wake up one day and discover all CT was banned by you :P
GradeAGarchomp you got potential for VGC. I can just see it...
shaian teach meh haw to RMT senpai!!!
lucariojr for being the only one in charge, you've done your work really well. Also, please drop Sylveon to A.
Xlstevo your tournament helped me to get in shape man. I promise i'll win this time!
Kyle Ayala will you ever read this lol? I TOLD YOU MY TEAM WAS WEAK TO GARBAJE -.-
Joshz nerd
ClaimingRobin you should practice with GaG a lot more. Then we sign up for dodrio cup n_n

If you feel like i'm missing you here, just PM me and i'll fix it. But guys, thanks for what you've done. Being in this community is one of the greatest things on my life and makes me want to keep moving forward. I'll promise you guys that next time, i'll bring a top cut, and hopefully, a win!

Last edited:

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
What's up VGC subforum! You may already know me, as i'm one of the worst most active members of these subforums!
Well, here i am to tell you about what it was the first Premier Challenge in my country, on what it was my debut in official tournaments!

Ok, so first of all, i'll get into the team i used:

Well, at first glance it looks like a pretty standard rain team until you look to the last member. That's right: I choose Heatran as last member. Heatran may look like a weird choice given that rain weakens Fire-type attacks which are Heatran's main resource for damage, but if you get deeper into rain as the archetype it is, Heatran is able to handle 2 big threats that threaten rain: Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame. I tested this concept out in PS! where i got some success, even beating a Top Cut player with it. So i wanted to bring it out to Chile, where it didn't have nearly as much success as it had before.

If i had to make a modification at the simple glance it would be Rotom-H > Heatran, as it does almost the same thing that Heatran just that being able to check Landorus-T safely, thanks to Levitate and Will-O-Wisp. It also CAN DO DAMAGE under rain. I refuse to believe Earth Power can be called a damaging move. It's more of the "OHKO opposing Heatran" button.

The day before the Premier Challenge:

That day i finally stopped breeding the team and adjusting the assets. I played 3 players from here, this being Ksh13 , Mishimono and GiraGoomy , with a random Ilikebugs popping from somewhere in the VGC ladder. Won the first game, lost the other 2 because of some unfortunate events (Critical hit in the case of Mishimono , freeze in favor of GiraGoomy ) and some misplays from my part.

After my battle with GiraGoomy , i decided to switch Aegislash's Life Orb to Safety Goggles, which would give my team a better matchup against Breloom and Amoonguss.

The day of the tournament

I woke up at 6:00 AM to start getting everything ready. Got out of home at 7:00, and i arrived at the place of the event at 8:15. I don't know why people complain about it being the 2nd floor of a supermarket: the place itself is a food court which is convinient for lunch and the place is pretty big as well, so i felt pretty comfortable. However, the place opened at 10:00 AM. So yeah, i stayed there for like, 2 hours.

View attachment 51873

After that, one of the TCG judges told us to access from another stairs to get there: TGC registration went pretty quickly.
But what about VGC? Well, truth is, the sign ups were supposed to open at 11:00 AM, but the judges didn't arrive in time. 11:30 and there was no news about them. I finally was able to see a VGC player, which was a friend of Omar Acuña (the same guy that kicked me out of the Pokemon Day, who i'm pretty sure Braverius can remember as well), one of the best VGC players of our country. And you know what happens when 2 players meet? A battle!
Both of us played with a team that wasn't the team that we brought for the premier: He played with a "made-up" sun team, and i played with a variation of Roses and Thorns. We played a best-of-three series, where i won 4-0 first match and 2-0 second match. The guy told me his name and nickname, which i can just remember the latter (lol i'm a terrible friend). It was kazekiri.
He told me that Omar has been tutoring him for a week so he thought that he wouldn't really achieve much, but the guy played really well considering he has been playing for a week! (#TGHomero4B101)
So after that, we waited. The first judge arrived at 12:30, which proves how good chilean organization is, and then we met up with some other players later.
At 2:00 PM, the tournament didn't start, so I accompanied kazekiri to buy some lunch. I knew from the beggining that i didn't have any lunch money but kazekiri was nice with me and gave me some french fries and chicken nuggets. kazekiri, if you're reading this, thanks!

After the lunch, the expectative was this:

View attachment 51874

I was pretty surprised myself there was such a big line for registration! Even players like Estephan Valdebenito (Pephan in Nugget Bridge) showed up there! See that guy with the Mudkip cap who wears blue everything? That was him.
Boah also showed himself, so did all the players that had their worlds invite this year. In the end, we were 64, but a guy dropped and we ended up being 63.

At 3:30, everything began. Round one pairings were up that late due to severe organization troubles (a senior ended up being in masters) but everything went smoothly, thanks to the rest-less rounds and the good will of the players.

Ok, so let's see my awful performance!

Round 1 vs Christopher Soto (only name i remember lol)

He brought:
Manectric - Suicune - Breloom - Talonflame

I brought:
Aegislash - Heatran - Salamence - Ludicolo

Well, this match was something that revealed how Snarl weak my team was, because my team had 5 special attackers and one mixed. This match was the most important match of the tournament which made me realise how bad my team was, and make me wish i brought my Roses and Thorns variation. Salamence barely did 60% to Suicune and i always left that -5 Heatran on the field. Had to fodder Aegislash to preserve Ludicolo. Ended up having that -5 Heatran + my AV Ludicolo versus his Mega Manectric + his Suicune. This match was haxless, so i lost to timer when the Heatran stayed there versus his Suicune and his Mega Manectric.

L 0-1

Round 2 vs Keita

He brought: Metagross - Zapdos - Swampert - Terrakion

I brought: Politoed - Ludicolo - Salamence - Aegislash

I led PoliLudi while he led Metagross + Zapdos. I predict him to expect the classic Fake Out + Scald and inmediatly switched out Ludicolo into Aegislash. Big mistake. He sets his Tailwind and goes for Substitute with Metagross, while i go for Scald on Metagross and i break the sub. Turn two i expect the Protect + Thunderbolt so i went for Helping Hand + Shadow Ball into Zapdos. Yet again i was wrong. Everything went downhill since then. The turn where i made the biggest mistake was when i was staring at a -2 Mega Metagross and a Swampert which was obviously physical vs my Ludicolo and my Aegislash. The Swampert had just protected. I went for Scald into MegaGross and went for King's Shield with Aegislash. He had a Terrakion in the back. GG.

L 0-2

Round 3 vs Himoru

He brought: Tyranitar - Togekiss - Azumarill - Milotic

I brought : Sylveon - Salamence - Politoed - Ludicolo

I expected a Tyranitar lead so i didn't lead PoliLudi for the same reason, however, i didn't expect it to be Mega Tyranitar! My switch into Poli was useless as i was forced to switch it out again. CM Sylveon did amazingly vs his team. In the end, PoliLudi under rain finished his Mega Tyranitar.

W 1-2

Round 4 vs Juaco

He brought: Scrafty - Thundurus - Gardevoir - Amoonguss

I brought: Heatran - Sylveon - Aegislash - Ludicolo

Pretty close match. Lost to a Wide Guard prediction from my opponent, smartly doubling up into my Sylveon.

L 1-3

From here, i honestly considered dropping. However, i was not going to be like Verlisify and drop after such a bad score. I wanted to fight till the end!

Round 5 vs JUANK

He brought: Ludicolo - Thundurus - Greninja - Politoed

I brought: Ludicolo - Sylveon - Aegislash - Salamence

Full rain LOL. I remember this guy having Hydro Pump Ludicolo, Blizzard Politoed and Blizzard Greninja, and everytime he missed he complained about hax.

W 2-3

Round 6 vs FRIKI~LCS

He brought: Metagross - Golduck - Conkeldurr - Landorus-T

I brought: Politoed - Aegislash - Ludicolo - Sylveon

Another MegaGross, oh boy. The Scarf Screech Golduck caught me so off guard that i couldn't call Aegislash a counter to MegaGross anymore. In the end, my Sylveon picked up a weakened Lando-T + Conkeldurr for the win.

W 3-3

View attachment 51884

In the end, i finished up 40th which isn't something i'm proud about, but if you look 3 places under me... You'll see Omar Acuña there! This proves one thing: Chile's VGC community's level gap isn't wide and even a day 2 worlds qualifier can do badly at a PC here!

Well, after Swiss I was pretty tired and dissapointed, so i proceed to leave to home. It was a really fun experience though! I met really wonderful people there so count with me for the next PC!

Well, that's it. Now some nice shotouts:

Ksh13 , man, thanks for the Heatran! It did pretty well almost every match i brought it!
DaAwesomeDude1 why can't i never catch you in PS!?
Serapis if i learned something from you, is to never give up your ideals. Well deserved victory, regional champ!
Mishimono a fun guy in general n_n
Demantoid dude, next PC i'm using your TBW team. It's the best team i've ever built
FloristtheBudew thanks for that best-of-three set man! If it wasn't for you i wouldn't have realised about my Ludicolo EV spread
AuraStormLucario best VGC mod n_n
m00ns thanks for willing to tutor me! I need to get back into OU so badly
GiraGoomy this man is a really good VGC player. It's a shame i was so bad at organizing B101 sessions. Otherwise i think this would have been another story.
The Bravest Bird you're a bad pun
Eyan UU lorde, save us from AM
Mudvayne you have been one of the best users i've ever met on PS! You're worth your driver.
Kreme i'm sure i'll wake up one day and discover all CT was banned by you :P
GradeAGarchomp you got potential for VGC. I can just see it...
shaian teach meh haw to RMT senpai!!!
lucariojr for being the only one in charge, you've done your work really well. Also, please drop Sylveon to A.
Xlstevo your tournament helped me to get in shape man. I promise i'll win this time!
Kyle Ayala will you ever read this lol? I TOLD YOU MY TEAM WAS WEAK TO GARBAJE -.-

If you feel like i'm missing you here, just PM me and i'll fix it. But guys, thanks for what you've done. Being in this community is one of the greatest things on my life and makes me want to keep moving forward. I'll promise you guys that next time, i'll bring a top cut, and hopefully, a win!
Ya I got a mention. Those were some pretty intersting teams. If using team again replace Azumarill>Sylveon to make you less Snarl weak. Overall great report sorry you didn't get a better record.

No love for me and my witty, yet somehow stupid posts that kill every thread I post in for 3+ days every time I post? </3
Also your top 6 images are broke for me.

I've used really weird shit in my long reign of solar tyranny, including, but not limited to:
- Sunny Day Suicune (Amazing in Gen 5; very bad now)
- Sunny Day Vaporeon (Always bad)
- Role Play Ninetales (my gimmicks sometimes become legends; this is one of them)
- QD + Fiery Dance Volcarona (Overkill is a myth)
- AV Metal Burst Rhyperior (I died laughing at its success)
- Entrainment Lightningrod Plusle + Char-Y. Spam Discharge + Heat Wave. Priceless in Triples; meh in Doubles.
- Mandibuzz. In Doubles. Yes.

So Rain Heatran isn't that weird or crazy to me, good when you've lost the weather war; but seriously use Saftey Goggles Rotom-H, far more of a pain in the ass for both Sand and Sun.

edit: Sunday -> Tuesday and still dead, I wasn't joking. :P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)