ORAS OU Heeeere's Genie! Using the Djinn Pokémon in OU [Please rate!]

Which Hoopa Set do you guys think is the best set? (independent of my RMT)

• Physical Scarf

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Special Scarf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mixed Scarf

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Life Orb

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Assault Vest

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
Well, I am back once again in ΩRAS OU, and I have been experimenting with a Pokémon which has been getting a lot of much-deserved hype: Hoopa Unbound. I have been experimenting with this monster of a Pocket Monster, and I've tried every combination of every OU Pokémon that I have in my PC in Alpha Sapphire, and yet I have yet to come across the one team I'm willing to call "perfect" for Hoopa. For this reason, I'm resorting to the RMT thread in order to see what the community thinks of my team. This current team is my most recent build, and as I have tired myself just trying to think up a good team, I won't delve too much into the teambuilding process. Instead, it's all analysis and threatlist this time. So, without further ado (that should be my new catchphrase), here is my team at a glance:

Analysis:

Djinnius (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Zen Headbutt
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch

The main Pokémon of the team, Hoopa Unbound is a powerful force, yet at the same time too frail to function on its own. Everything about this set is uncertain, so I will go through the logic behind each of the variables. I chose to run with the Physical Scarf variant, as Hoopa is not fast enough to deal with the faster threats without a scarf, and there are plenty of specially defensive Pokémon in the tier to tank hits from Hoopa's Special moves. I gave Hoopa an Adamant nature, for in my playtesting I noticed that Hoopa was able to nab some crucial KOs that it otherwise could not if running Jolly.

The moves themselves are also chosen with the utmost scrutiny, with all details analyzed and accounted for. For the primary STAB, I analyzed both Hoopa Unbound's signature move and the most commonly used Dark-type STAB move, and I ultimately decided that Hyperspace Fury's infiltrators abilities and 2.5/35 Base Power advantage overshadow Knock Off's item removal ability just enough to merit being Hoopa's main offensive option. Gunk Shot, while being bestowed an accuracy worse than Meteor Mash's chance to not raise the attack stat, is the only option available to take down the Fairy types that threaten the Djinn. Drain Punch is mainly for coverage and longevity, but it leaves me in a tighter spot against the likes of Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. On the other hand, Fire Punch, while giving Hoopa the upper hand against the aforementioned Pokémon, leaves Hoopa with zero recovery options, and makes dealing with Tyranitar all the more onerous. In the final slot, I initially went with Trick as a means to cripple item-reliant Pokémon, but I realized that there was no time that was truly optimal to use Trick. Moreover, there were many cases in which I desperately wished for a Psychic-type STAB, and I lost a few matches due to not having one, so I decided to ultimately run Zen Headbutt as its fourth move.

Balboa (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Hoopa's main Achilles' heel is its virtually nonexistent Defense; Ferrothorn is the remedy to that problem. Everything about Ferrothorn screams "Hoopa's best bud;" his typing gives him key resistances to Hoopa's Fairy weakness, his EVs and nature are perfect for sponging physical hits aimed at Hoopa, and at times I believe he just stays awake at night, dreaming for a Pokémon to make contact with his Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet. He is arguably the best teammate for which Hoopa Unbound can ask.

As for the moves, Ferrothorn is a great defensive utility Pokémon, providing the ever-necessary Stealth Rock entry hazard for my team. As he runs Rocky Helmet over Leftovers, Leech Seed is a great move for providing recovery, not only for Ferrothorn, but also for any of my other Pokémon that can benefit from the HP drained from a foe that refuses to switch out. Power Whip and Gyro Ball are the STAB moves of choice, with Power Whip hitting many common Water- and Ground-type Pokémon for weakness and Gyro Ball taking advantage of a Speed stat lower than Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench.

Genbu (Blastoise-Mega) (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Mega Blastoise seems like an odd choice on this team; it uses up the Mega Evolution for my team, and there are plenty of Pokémon, both Mega Evolutions and hazard clearers, that can easily replace Blastoise. So why did I choose Mega Blastoise for this role? One simple reason: I've used Blastoise on a few teams before, and the Shellfish Pokémon (not the fossils) has not let me down at all. It's bulky, it spins, its speed is in a good spot, and it just does its job.

The moves on Blastoise are fairly self-explanatory. Rapid Spin gets rid of hazards; Water Pulse hits for good damage with Mega Launcher and confusion chance, Dark Pulse takes out Ghost-types trying to block Rapid Spin, and Aura Sphere puts a nice dent in defensive Steel-types like Ferrothorn. Not much else to be said about Blastoise.

Ron Swanson (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Smack Down

Now that the roles of hazard setter and hazard clearer have been removed, I now turned my attention to Pokémon that could provide both offensive and defensive support for the rest of my team. I immediately thought of all of the annoying Thunder Waves that plagued me one too many times, and my eyes naturally fell on Therian Forme Landorus. Not only is he immune to Thunder Wave; Landorus stops Volt Switch users in their tracks (Mega Manectric only to some extent), and he provides further insurance against potential physical threats through Intimidate. He can also soften up physical attackers so that Ferrothorn can poke foes even more. I gave Landorus-T an Assault Vest to give him an even greater shock value, although I think Rocky Helmet and Choice Scarf are equally viable options for its item.

Earthquake and U-turn are almost mandatory for Landorus-T: Earthquake is his most powerful STAB move, and U-turn provides a great way to carry momentum, and it can also give a free switch into Hoopa. Knock Off is another great utility move in removing items from the Pokémon that rely upon them to succeed. In the last moveslot, I went with a rather unorthodox Rock-type move in Smack Down, but the fact that opponents are unprepared for it, combined with its synergy with Landoge's STAB, I see it merits use on the Abundance Pokémon. Not only that, but compared with the other viable two Rock-type moves, Rock Slide and Stone Edge, there seemed to be a general trend where for every 25 units of increase in Base Power, there is a 10% loss of accuracy and an even greater loss of secondary effect chance, so I decided to stick with the move that is guaranteed to hit and do something.

HeatCis (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Heatran is another Pokémon that pairs really well with Hoopa-Unbound. It has a 4x resistance to both of its weaknesses, and its plethora of roles leave the opponent guessing as to what it will do. When deciding on the set, I though, if we're traversing the stall-breaking route, we might as well go stall-breaking all the way, and so I settled on Stall-Beaker Heatran. I gave Heatran an Air Balloon to create a double bluff for opponents that try to predict a switch in and use Earthquake prematurely.

Magma Storm helps trap undesirable Pokémon, leaving them at Heatran's mercy. Taunt and Toxic work really well with Magma Storm, with Toxic and Magma Storm damage wearing down the opponent slowly and painfully, while Taunt prevents the foe from trying any particularly appalling tricks. Earth Power is a nice, accurate secondary attack, and it's what the Smogon Dex told me to use, so I went with it.

Fairy Ball (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Ah, Clefable. Such a nice little...what is that thing in the first place? Anyway, Clefable is the last Pokémon on my team, but certainly not the least. This set is a typical Physically Defensive Clefable, yet another team member to patch up Hoopa's physical weakness, with Unaware replaced by Magic Guard due to incompatibility with Heal Bell (or Soft-Boiled, I can never remember which).

I consider Clefable to be the glue of my team, patching up any spots my team was missing. Moonblast is a nice STAB attack that hits Fairy-weak Pokémon for decent damage. Soft-Boiled is the most reliable recovery move, having twice the PP of Moonlight without having to resort to the unpredictability of the weather. Thunder Wave cripples opposing Pokémon that rely on their speed to succeed (internal rhyme ftw). Heal Bell helps cure teammates of unwanted status conditions, which is especially useful considering how crippling they are for Hoopa.

———————————————

Threat List:

• Bisharp
  • Keldeo
  • Mega Charizard X (with Earthquake)
  • Mega Manectric
  • Belly Drum Azumarill
  • Black Kyurem
  • Mega Gardevoir
  • More to come as I discover them
Feel free to make suggestions to anything, be it Pokémon choice, moveset, or even EV spread. This team was created based on the Pokémon I have in my PC, but if there's a Pokémon you suggest that I don't have, I am willing to catch and train it. Give feedback on whatever you see that needs it. I'm too lazy to think of a fitting closing statement, so I'll leave it at that.

EDIT: Before I forget, here's an importable:
Djinnius (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Zen Headbutt
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch

Balboa (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Genbu (Blastoise-Mega) (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Ron Swanson (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Smack Down

HeatCis (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Fairy Ball (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Last edited:
Hey Colbalt314, i like the basis of your team but i have some suggestions to help cover the Pokemon listed in your threat list and more.

For one AV LandoT is pretty bad since it's typing leaves it weak to Water and Ice type moves which are among some of the most common in Special Attackers in OU, plus it lacks recovery. The few mons you'd nab a surprise kill on like Latis, Raikou, or M-Diancie, are already checked by Clefable. Plus you have no Leftovers recovery or defense investment, meaning you can barely check physical attackers, leaving you with a set that can't perform its niche as a mixed wall properly. In short, Clefable, Hippowdon, and even Tangrowth are far superior as mixed walls than AV LandoT since they have recovery and better typings for the role.

With that being said, i'd recommend using Hippowdon > AV LandoT as your bulky ground since it covers Bisharp, Zard X, and M-Manectric for you off the bat, while having recovery and more longevity than AV LandoT at the cost of some firing power. If you'd like, you can use Rocky Helmet Chomp instead of Hippowdon that way you still have something to punish U-Turns as a way to support Hoopa-U.

Another issue with your team is your Clefable spread. The only time you should run full Physical Defense on Clefable is if you're running Unaware, otherwise a Calm spread with around 96 EVs in SpDef is much better since it allows you to reliably check Keldeo, Thundurus, Raikou, Manectric, Latis, M-Lopunny, M-Diancie, Kyurem-B, and more. It also is an extremely reliable win condition with Calm Mind. If you want to keep the physically defensive spread i'd recommend using it as an Unaware Cleric instead.

One thing that poses a huge threat to your team is Belly Drum Azumarill. With a little chip damage (less than 10% if Stealth Rocks are up) a +6 Knock Off can OHKO your Ferrothorn, then a mix between Aqua Jet and Play Rough cleans through your team with little to no opposition. M-Venu > Ferrothorn can mitigate that, or you can run Unaware Clefable as i stated before. If you run M-Venusaur you should use Calm Clefable for a reliable Kyurem-B answer, and if you use Unaware Clefable you should put some SpDef on your Ferrothorn to allow it to check Kyurem-B since it's able to 2HKO or OHKO everything on your team otherwise.

If you do run M-Venusaur you can use Bulky Starmie as your Spinner, or you can use Sand Rush Excadrill if you're using Hippowdon that way you have an extra bit of power on your team.

With that being said, i'd change Hoopa from Scarf to Life Orb to break through bulky offense, balance, and stall since your team is relatively passive. I personally like the full Special set since it has less reliable switch-ins than Physical does, isn't rendered useless due to burns, it can hit both Special and Physical defenses due to Psyshock, and it doesn't require you to use a Nature to lower your already poor defenses.

Lastly, you can also use SpDef Talon to break fat teams even further and provide a Ground immunity over Balloon Heatran. It also provides a more reliable check to Zard Y and M-Gardevoir than Heatran does. However, if you choose to use Rocky Helmet Garchomp instead of Hippowdon, then you should keep Heatran that way you can have an answer to Zard X.

In short:

Rocky Helmet Chomp / Hippowdon > AV Landorus-T
M-Venusaur > Ferrothorn (subjective, but if you keep Ferro please use the spread i linked below)
Calm Clefable / Unaware Cleric > PhysDef Magic Guard Clefable
LO Hoopa > Scarf Hoopa
Starmie / Excadrill > M-Blastoise (subjective)
SpDef Talonflame > Heatran (subjective)

Sets:

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 132 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail

Sorry if this is a bit confusing, there's just a lot of options to that can optimize your build. If you have any questions about anything I suggested or stated, feel free to ask.

Above I left the sets and updated spreads of everything i mentioned that way you can choose what you'd like to use. Hope i was of help to you, good luck!

Bumping this thread. Even though celes made some really great points, all of which I've either taken into account or incorporated in my team, I feel like there are plenty of other ways to make this team better, and I'd like input from a lot more than just one person (btw thank you, celes, for being the first person to help me with this).

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
agree with some of the above changes, but not all.

given the offensive nature of your team, and the fact that you lack a good stealth rocker (i'll get to ferro in a min), i think tankchomp would be your best bet, and you should definitely replace av lando-t with it. this gives you a good sr setter that is capable of taking on the big boys such as mega metagross and and bisharp. i mean you could go hippo instead but i feel chomp helps you better, although you could test out both.

now, with ferrothorn, i believe you should run spikes > stealth rock. given that you have clefable and hoopa, spikes help your team tremendously in wearing down the opponent. coupled with garchomp's stealth rocks your opponents will have a hard time removing hazards if you play right, so i feel spikes will definitely help you out.

make hoopa mixed life orb. this lets it truly be the wallbreaker it was meant to be. scarf is cute but it's really only relegated to hyper offense and certain bulky offense builds, neither of which i feel apply to this team, plus hoopa's speed it too slow to be a useful scarfer for you. a simple set of gunk shot / dark pulse / drain punch / psychic gives it all the coverage it needs to break stall and balance, and when combined with heatran, fat teams are gonna have issues if you play well.

finally, clefable should be changed to a calm mind set. given that you have a strong wallbreaker, good hazard support, and a stallbreaker, clef should be cm to finish off the game. there's really not much to explain other than the fact that cm clef lets u sweep unprepared teams easily, or just sweep even good teams after the rest of your team has gone to work. it should be a calm nature, however, to better take on special attackers that could otherwise give you trouble.

in summary:
tank chomp > lando t
spikes > sr on ferro
lo > scarf on hoopa
cm > cleric clef

sets:

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic

gl and hope i helped!

Thanks for your input! However, I notice that I seem to be having an issue with speed, no matter what I run. I'm worried that if a Mega Manectric or Mega Charizard X comes in (and sets up, in the case of the latter), it could severely ruin or cripple my team. Is there any remedy for this?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only real way to fix that would be to run scarf keldeo over lando (or garchomp if u take my suggestion) and to put stealth rock on heatran. Not a bad option so that's something to look into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)