Help ! (Gen 8 national dex)

k so I'm quite new to Pokemon showdown I haven't played it in 5 years but that was only me messing around with my mates. Ive decided to make a team which idk if its good or not, its gotten me wins and losses, here is the poke past link to the team or look at the past below.

https://pokepast.es/7c0a1046ea77c6a5

Bisharp @ Quick Claw
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

I chose Bisharp because Its one of my fave pokemon so I wanted to use it because its strong.
These EVs where recommended to me by showdown itself. I think they are ok but I don’t know.
I chose these moves because they are a nice spread for Bisharp and are physical attacks.

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots

Ability: Multiscale
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

I decided to chose Dragonite because I like it and its good stats.
Evs again where recommend by showdown itself.
The moves I used where recommended on a random post somewhere ngl

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Facade

I used gliscor because its one of my faves Pokemon. It fits really well in my team and has performed the best. EVs where used from a website I don’t remember as well with the moveset. The moveset works amazingly I think with the hold item and ability along with facade. Big fan of this one.

Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SpD / 248 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Avalanche

I heard something about using a “lead” to set up spikes and stealth rock to take away health from the opponents Pokemon straight away, I like the job it does but one problem is that it always dies which makes me feel like I only have 5 Pokemon. I choses these EVs myself because i think high speed works well to get a taunt off on the opponents lead. Stealth rocks and spikes will do damage to the opponents Pokemon coming in. Avanlanche is just there to be honest, not the best idea.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Heavy Slam

Tyranitar I used because of it being a pseudo legendary and I really like its mega and ability. Its supposed to deal lots of damage and soak up hits. The evs were recommend to me by showdown and I chose these moves myself. I don’t think they are very good apart from earthquake and stone edge. Heavy slam I put in because of its weight but it doesn’t work well.

Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Hawlucha I used because of the interesting typing and its high speed. Evs where chosen because I wanted it to be really quick and hit hard but still have an ok defence. the moves are ok but this Pokemon is new to the team after switching out a gallade so I haven’t really grasped what the moves do yet.

I play in Gen 8 national dex idk I just chose it. Any help is welcome and appreciated!! thanks.

nicolas-pepe-lille.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this.

Why did you choose this mon

What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it

What are all 4 moves for

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
I apologise for ripping apart your team like this, but it does need serious work if you want to succeed.

Firstly, Dragonite and Deoxys-D are unfortunately not viable in National Dex. The former is outclassed by better Dragon Dance sweepers like Gyarados and Mega Charizard X, and the latter by Mew.

Second, it's hard to see what you want this to be. It looks like hyper offense with the Hawlucha and Bisharp, but a bulkier structure with the Gliscor and Tyranitar.

I will assume you wanted hyper offense going by what the majority of the team does.

:ss/mew:
Mew @ Red Card
Ability: Synchronise
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion

Mew is a better Deoxys-D in every way - better speed, Explosion, better ability, better offenses. Explosion allows it to sacrifice itself so you get to bring in a sweeper for free, and the Red Card allows it to further set up hazards, as if the opponent can't OHKO it they are forced into a random Pokemon.

:ss/bisharp:
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp is a great Pokemon on hyper offense thanks to Defiant deterring opposing Defog, but this is a much better set. You should run max speed so you can actually outspeed stuff to force it out and set up, and Knock Off is a much better STAB than Night Slash. Without the need for Quick Claw, you can run Life Orb for more power, and Sucker Punch over Psycho Cut to hit faster Pokemon.

:ss/rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Gliscor is a good Pokemon in National Dex, but it's meant to be for bulkier structures that need its defensive utility over immediate power. This is a much better option for hyper offense because strong priority helps with threats like Ash-Greninja and Mega Garchomp, and the terrain activates Unburden for Hawlucha, while it can force in and wear down checks to Hawlucha like Corviknight and Zapdos.

:ss/gyarados_mega:
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Like I said, Dragonite is outclassed as a Dragon Dance sweeper, and Mega Tyranitar is a poor choice for the Mega slot on this kind of team. Mega Gyarados is much better because it hits harder than Dragonite, can utilise its great natural bulk and defensive typing to set up easily, and has a much better offensive typing. It also helps beat stall teams thanks to Mold Breaker ignoring Unaware and Substitute blocking status, which is always useful to hyper offense.

:ss/volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
It's usually best for a team to have a special attacker, and Volcarona is a great option because it sets up on common Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Rillaboom and Kartana, is so difficult to wall at +1 (besides Heatran with this set, but it shouldn't be a problem for the rest of this team) and it can force in and eliminate Toxapex to help the rest of the team. You could also try HP Ground > Psychic if you find Heatran more difficult to break than Toxapex.

Last edited:
I apologise for ripping apart your team like this, but it does need serious work if you want to succeed.

Firstly, Dragonite and Deoxys-D are unfortunately not viable in National Dex. The former is outclassed by better Dragon Dance sweepers like Gyarados and Mega Charizard X, and the latter by Mew.

Second, it's hard to see what you want this to be. It looks like hyper offense with the Hawlucha and Bisharp, but a bulkier structure with the Gliscor and Tyranitar.

I will assume you wanted hyper offense going by what the majority of the team does.

:ss/mew:
Mew @ Red Card
Ability: Synchronise
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion

Mew is a better Deoxys-D in every way - better speed, Explosion, better ability, better offenses. Explosion allows it to sacrifice itself so you get to bring in a sweeper for free, and the Red Card allows it to further set up hazards, as if the opponent can't OHKO it they are forced into a random Pokemon.

:ss/bisharp:
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp is a great Pokemon on hyper offense thanks to Defiant deterring opposing Defog, but this is a much better set. You should run max speed so you can actually outspeed stuff to force it out and set up, and Knock Off is a much better STAB than Night Slash. Without the need for Quick Claw, you can run Life Orb for more power, and Sucker Punch over Psycho Cut to hit faster Pokemon.

:ss/rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Gliscor is a good Pokemon in National Dex, but it's meant to be for bulkier structures that need its defensive utility over immediate power. This is a much better option for hyper offense because strong priority helps with threats like Ash-Greninja and Mega Garchomp, and the terrain activates Unburden for Hawlucha, while it can force in and wear down checks to Hawlucha like Corviknight and Zapdos.

:ss/gyarados_mega:
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Like I said, Dragonite is outclassed as a Dragon Dance sweeper, and Mega Tyranitar is a poor choice for the Mega slot on this kind of team. Mega Gyarados is much better because it hits harder than Dragonite, can utilise its great natural bulk and defensive typing to set up easily, and has a much better offensive typing. It also helps beat stall teams thanks to Mold Breaker ignoring Unaware and Substitute blocking status, which is always useful to hyper offense.

:ss/volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
It's usually best for a team to have a special attacker, and Volcarona is a great option because it sets up on common Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Rillaboom and Kartana, is so difficult to wall at +1 (besides Heatran with this set, but it shouldn't be a problem for the rest of this team) and it can force in and eliminate Toxapex to help the rest of the team. You could also try HP Ground > Psychic if you find Heatran more difficult to break than Toxapex.
Dont apologise at all bruh this helps A TON. Life saver honestly.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)