Help me build a competitive team and crush my coworkers

Today a Pokémon battle challenge was issued by one of my coworkers.

The rules are as follows:
  1. Fire Red / Leaf Green
  2. Only Gen 1 Pokémon are allowed
  3. No legendaries
  4. Single battle format
  5. Species clause
Can you guys help me come up with a team to absolutely obliterate the competition?

I have some familiarity with competitive Pokémon. I’ve played some showdown years ago.

Off the top of my head I’m thinking something like:
  1. Gyrados
  2. Venusar
  3. Starmie
  4. Rhydon
  5. Jolteon
  6. Snorlax
Would love some suggestions for a different team and any movesets, natures, or held items

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
Chansey would be super useful - you basically need a fighter or a CBer to get past it reliably. Completely shuts down otherwise dominant mons like Starmie, Jolteon and Alakazam

If there's no sleep clause, you can try cheesing stuff with Sub/Hypnosis Gengar or Sub/Seed/Sleep Powder Exeggutor

Dragon Dance spam with Gyarados and Dragonite seems kinda busted with a lack of Skarmory and only one decent bulky water in Vaporeon, which Gyarados sets up on anyway

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Hypno @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpD / 112 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Acid Armor
- Substitute
- Wish
- Baton Pass

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
Bold Nature
- Double Team
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Illuminate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Bold Nature
- Agility
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Hypno @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpD / 112 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Acid Armor
- Substitute
- Wish
- Baton Pass

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
Bold Nature
- Double Team
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Illuminate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
I like this team a lot, but it may be a little too technical for me to play properly. I dont have a ton of familiarity with baton pass teams.

Maybe something a little more straight forward would benefit me?

just go rest curse lax with body slam shadow ball.... like nothing besides machamp can switch into it and you can just use gengar, other psychics esp slowbro to beat it

I feel like you have to watch out for Curse Snorlax, CM Slowbro (or Damp Golduck lmao), CM Clefable (maybe not Chansey because it's frail), DD Gyara, DD Nite, Drum Salac Zard, and Aero Spikes, because those will likely be the most common endgames. Para spam can probably exist. Dugtrio to support bulky set up is strong. I feel like Spikes can be strong to wear down bulky backbones, since only Aero and Dugtrio function as fast breakers, and the rest of the breakers are slower than most of the options. Marowak, Machamp, and Rhydon aren't faster Blastoise. Maybe because the walls aren't as strong, I'm underestimating Nidoking's ability to break waters with Thunderbolt and Spikes. Or maybe it's just never breaking through Clef or Slowbro without tricks. Who knows? Just feels like you'll want a bulky water on each team since the options for physical checks are limited. As for special checks, my best guess is that only Jolteon, Gengar, and Zam are issues. Unless you do like, Mixed Belly Zard, which is checked by waters again. I like Machamp to make progress vs normal blobs and trade with Gengar to support Snorlax and Clef. It can also put chip on levitating mons, like Gyara or Dnite, that try to stop your own Gyara (with Intimidate or Thunderbolt) or set up on your CM Slowbro. This is a fun idea for a meta. Lots to think about here.

Today a Pokémon battle challenge was issued by one of my coworkers.

The rules are as follows:
  1. Fire Red / Leaf Green
  2. Only Gen 1 Pokémon are allowed
  3. No legendaries
  4. Single battle format
  5. Species clause
Can you guys help me come up with a team to absolutely obliterate the competition?

I have some familiarity with competitive Pokémon. I’ve played some showdown years ago.

Off the top of my head I’m thinking something like:
  1. Gyrados
  2. Venusar
  3. Starmie
  4. Rhydon
  5. Jolteon
  6. Snorlax
Would love some suggestions for a different team and any movesets, natures, or held items

Thanks in advance for any advice!
You pretend to play this game on showdown or direct as a catridge game? You don't say about that and that change a lot of the strategy.
For example, I would sugest you a Scyther with Double Team, Agility, Baton Pass and Silver Wind. But Double Team is banned from Showdown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)