SM OU Help perfect my Garchomp team

Hi. My name’s GHC and I’m new to the Smogon forums so I Idon't know how to use sprites or any of those fancy effects, however, I have been playing OU for quite a while now. This is the team I am currently using (only around 1450 in ladder, but hey, it’s the highest I’ve ever been). It has evolved a lot over time and I would love some input on how it could be even better! Anyways, enough rambling on about me, here is the team:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers

Ability: Anticipation

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature

- Spikes

- Stealth Rock

- Explosion

- Toxic

Ferrothorn is, by far, one of my favorite leads. With access to both Spikes and Stealth Rocks, he is fantastic for setting up entry hazards (The small chip damage that these cause over time is perfect for setting up a Garchomp sweep). His steel typing combined with solid defense stats and Toxic make him a great wall if needed. Explosion is there for when he sets up all his entry hazards and will not be needed as a wall, however, this move could be switched out for a more flexible option. I chose Anticipation over Iron Barbs so I can know whether or not the enemy’s lead knows Fireblast.

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z

Ability: Rough Skin

Shiny: Yes

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Substitute

- Swords Dance

- Dragon Claw

- Earthquake

Garchomp, he’s the sweeper, and basically the core of the team. You’ll want to weaken the enemy team’s walls and eliminate Garchomps checks before switching him into play (this is where all those entry hazards really help). Then, what I like to do, is wait for a moment to use Tailwind from Charizard, and switch safely into Garchomp. If you have a tailwind setup it is best to attempt a sweep immediately after bringing in the landshark. However, if you did not use a tailwind setup, you can try a substitute setup. This is where, as I’m sure you can imagine, Garchomp uses substitute + swords dance and then proceeds to utterly destroy your opponent. EQ is the main STAB attack with a base 100 power, and Dragon Claw makes for good neutral coverage. I honestly don’t know what item to use for Garchomp, but recently I’ve been trying Dragonium Z or Groundium Z.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Drought

Shiny: Yes

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Air Slash

- Dragon Pulse

- Fire Blast

- Tailwind

Charizard Y is a more recent addition to the team. I was having quite a bit of trouble with Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Mega-gross, ect… as well as lacking in flying type coverage for fighting and ground. Airslash fills that flying type gap rather decently, and Fireblast obviously helps destroy Skarmory, Ferrothorns, and Metagross. The tailwind was a final touch I added in order to give Garchomp two different setup options, each for their own situations. Dragon pulse is a great neutral coverage attack that allows you to use a dragon type move without bringing in Garchomp prematurely.

Kartana

Ability: Beast Boost

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Leaf Blade

- Smart Strike

- Sacred Sword

- X-Scissor

Kartana is probably my favorite UltaBeast. With fantastic Attack, Speed, and defense she can serve pretty much any position this team ever needs. Generally, I end up either using her for basic Grass coverage and Fairy killing, as well as wallbreaking. The powerful STAB Leaf Blade and Smart Strike can easily eliminate common walls like Landorus-T, and pretty much all unaware walls. Occasionally, I will even manage to snowball Beastboost and sweep entire teams. Her only weakness is, of course, special attackers and fire types like Charizard Y, Charizard X, Volcarona, and Salamence. What’s great about this is that Garchomp can easily remove all of these threats, even without setup. Sacred Sword is great for OHKOing most ice types and landing solid damage on steel types, as well as beating Clefables and any other Mon that’s weak to fighting. X-Scissor is kind of situational, but it’s the best check to Psychic types and will annihilate Mega-Venasaur. The only wall you really can’t break with Kartana is Toxapex.

Nihilego @ Life Orb

Ability: Beast Boost

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Power Gem

- Thunder

- Sludge Wave

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Nihilego has a very diverse movepool, giving it great coverage. With its main STAB attacks Power Gem and Sludge Wave, it can hit hard against even bulky teams. Rock typing to deal with Fire, Ice, Flying, and Bugs. Sludge Wave is one of the best fairy killing attacks this team has (along with Kartana’s Smart Strike) which is important for setting up Garchomp. Thunder is just there to deal with the pure Water types, Ash-Greninja, and Toxapex. Hidden Power Fire does great against Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor as well. However, it is very unlikely that you will ever sweep with a Nihilego, simply because of the unavoidability of Ground and Steel.

Cresselia @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Moonblast

- Lunar Dance

- Light Screen

- Psychic

Cresselia, the best… well, really the only special wall on the team. She can set up Light Screen has a decent STAB Psychic and can be used as a last resort fairy attacker with her Moonblast. Lunar Dance is an awesome move when used correctly! I will commonly whittle away at special attackers until Cresselia’s health gets around 20% and then It can fully heal your weakened, and probably burned Garchomp, should he not successfully sweep. (I have been thinking about replacing Cresselia with an Unaware cleric Clefable. I would love to hear opinions about this possible change.)

Hi, I noticed that you have a big mega metagross weakness. Ferrothorn can't barbs damage it, garchomp outsped and ice punched, zard outsped and tpunch(75% chance to ohko), cresselia is meteor mash fodder, kartana pretty much goes even at best, and nihilego outsped and meteor mashed.

If it's an adamant meta then things would be different but they mostly come as jolly. It also seems as if you're banking on meta to be missing one of these coverage moves.

Now I'm not an expert rater (yet), so I don't want to change your team composition too much, but I would suggest:

Iron barbs- makes metagross think twice before abusing tough claws. Yeah you can't see incoming fire moves, but it can be telegraphed and you have 3 fire resists to fall back on for different fire coverage mons. Heck I would count on cresselia to tank fire coverage from dragons.

Night Slash over X-scissor: bug coverage barely helps. You say it annihilates m-vena but STAB Smart Strike hits harder actually. Still does is job of beating psychic types but now that also includes megagross.

I hope this helps ^-^

Hi, I noticed that you have a big mega metagross weakness. Ferrothorn can't barbs damage it, garchomp outsped and ice punched, zard outsped and tpunch(75% chance to ohko), cresselia is meteor mash fodder, kartana pretty much goes even at best, and nihilego outsped and meteor mashed.

If it's an adamant meta then things would be different but they mostly come as jolly. It also seems as if you're banking on meta to be missing one of these coverage moves.

Now I'm not an expert rater (yet), so I don't want to change your team composition too much, but I would suggest:

Iron barbs- makes metagross think twice before abusing tough claws. Yeah you can't see incoming fire moves, but it can be telegraphed and you have 3 fire resists to fall back on for different fire coverage mons. Heck I would count on cresselia to tank fire coverage from dragons.

Night Slash over X-scissor: bug coverage barely helps. You say it annihilates m-vena but STAB Smart Strike hits harder actually. Still does is job of beating psychic types but now that also includes megagross.

I hope this helps ^-^
Thanks so much for your input. I must admit i have been strugling to defeat metagross teams. I'll definitely add nightslash and while I'm at it I'll try iron barbs again to see how it goes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)