Gen 4 Help! Pkm Platinum battle tower streak team

Hey everyone, ive been trying to get the 100 streak on the single battle at the battle tower in platinums battle frontier. With this team my highest streak was 55, my team is;

Garchomp
Jolly nature, Alert to sounds
Evs <252ATK> <SPD252> and i forgot where i put the rest of them in (old team from a year ago but most likley DEF)
Ivs Potential is above average overall, best ability is speed and its very good in that regard
Moves; Crunch, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Stone edge.
Item: Choice Band

Garchomp is usually the last one to be switched in unless his strengths are called for earlier. His choice band makes him an extremely good attacker in general even without a super effective move in his favour, and his speed usually means he goes first. I use him usually as the last pokemon because i always find myself using a move for one pokemon that will work such as earthquake, but then the next pokemon after that has levitate and leave garchomp useless. So i try to make sure that there is one enemy pokemon left before using him so i don't get locked with a wrong move. He can deal great damage to many but his defence isn't great.

Strengths - He can 1 hit Ko any pokemon that he has a super effective move against. If he only has a regular effective moves against a pokemon, he can still be very reliable against them if they don't have anything super effective against him. His choice band makes him super strong especially if i lock him with moves that super effect more than one pokemon in a row. Speed is great, and he plays his part as the physical attacker well.

Weakness - Choice band is more than likley the reason for him fainting, i pick a move for him to super effect a pokemon with, they faint, next one comes out and can't use the right move. Also i find that many in the battle tower have his weakness. Practically all water, normal and flying have ice type moves, and all the rest are super powerful dragons that outspeed him. Against other dragons he isnt to well, and against other ice types he gets destroyed. Not sure if salamance is a better pick or not but i feel like if i made a few adjustments to him, or get a better IV garchomp he will be great. But most of the time he just can't survive to do enough damage to pokemon he doesnt 1 hit ko.

Overview: Good attack against pokemon he 1x, 2x and 4x effects but can not survive against his weakness at all, and gets outplayed by other dragons and high damage pokemon. He his a good attacker but can't survive long enough or have the freedom to attack with whatever move he wants.

WIN_20180630_12_21_15_Pro.jpg

Metagross:
Jolly Nature, Proud of its power
Evs <252ATK> <252DEF> <SPD4>
Ivs: Potential is above average overall, best stat lies in Attack, its very good in that regard.
Moves: Meteor Mash, Thunder Punch, Hammer Arm, Ice punch.
Item: Shuca Berry

Metagross is usually the second member i bring out as he has a tankier defence, i usually use him to take out ice and dragon types as they completely destroy garchomp, as well as normal types. However recently he has been proving not that survivable as most dragons have fire and ground moves, as well as higher speed that will deal a massive blow to metagross. Also ice pokemon such as froslass having ghost type moves that are SPATK also give metagross a very hard time. Most of the time Metagross’s massive attack damage can 1 Hit KO the enemy if he out speeds them, but any thing with ground, ghost and fire type movesets take him out with ease. He his ranked the same as Garchomp as the have both similar problems.

Strengths - Great attack damage with large move pool that can super effect many different weaknesses. Can take out Ice types well with meteor mash and hammer arm, and usually outplay any pokemon that doesn't have any super effective moves on it. Reliable for a switch in, and is the tankiest of the team

Weaknesses - Has a hard time taking out Dragons and other Pseudo legendary pokemon, pokemon such as salamence, garchomp and tyranitar are big contenders that knock out Metagross, as well as all his weaknesses. Needs more survivability as he is the only one in the team that should not go down in 1 hit, but sadly that's not the case most of the time.

OverView: Good at attacking and great move pool but for the tank on the team he needs to survive against the stronger pokemon rather than the medium to weak pokemon. For the tank attacker he needs more survivability to make up for his low speed. Might need changing

WIN_20180630_12_21_45_Pro.jpg

Gengar:
Timid nature, Alert to sounds
Evs <252SPATK> <252SPD> <4SPDEF>
IVs: relativity supiriour potential overall, best stat lies in Speed, it cant get better in that regard.
Moves: Thunderbolt, Destiny bound, shadow ball, energy ball
Item Focus Sash.

Gengar is the first one to enter the battle, and probably the one that determines the outcome of the battle. I gave him thunderbolt and energy ball, and shadow ball to give him a wide variety of super effective move pool. If the pokemon is weak to any of the movesets he has, gengars stab with the super effective moves usually take out the enemy pokemon in 1 hit or if not one usually after the second turn. If gengar does take 2 turns to take out the pokemon he will most likely be on 1 hp from the focus sash, once this happens the enemy team is left with 2 pokemon left which i usually use destiny bound to take out the second party member regardless what pokemon they are. After that its a 2 on 1 battle from there.

Strengths - Great speed and high SPARK that usually 1 shots or 2 shots the enemy if they are super effected by gengars moves. Focus sash gives an assurance for at least one trial and error mistake, if that does occur i usually destiny bound the enemy. Large variety of moves that can super effect many pokemon in the battle tower.

Weaknesses - If the enemy pokemon is faster than gengar then the entire strategy of gengar is useless as i wont be able to destiny bound the enemy on the second turn with the 1 HP. Also if gengar doesn't have a super effective move against the first enemy pokemon, the battle becomes risky, as switching to the other team mates may cause them to instantly get 1 H-KO, or if i use destiny bound on the first pokemon it may leave the other team members against pokemon with their weaknesses.

OverView: Best member in team, high SPKATK and great first party member, terrible defence but that is apart of his build with destiny bound and the focus sash. Needs a better back up team to switch to to continue with his destiny bound strategy. Can 1v1 most strong enemies that he has super effective moves against. Problem occurse when they have more speed.

WIN_20180630_12_22_00_Pro.jpg

Now i recently came back from Japana and got pokemon emerald, ruby and firered and soul silver, and i have leaf green. so if there is any other pokemon suggestion i should have on my team from those games that would be appreciated as well.
And please remember Im still a beginner at this whole competative battling thing, so please to trash me to hard on my bad decisions and bad IVs. if u got a better pokemon team and strat in mind please let me know about it and ill try it. but if u can suggest improvment on this current team but i dont mind switching out pokemon.

Thanks for the help, this is the last thing i need for my trainer card stars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: reopened

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)