Here's a new concept: an EV CALCULATOR!

That's right, an EV calculator. Spawned out of my desolate hatred for manually counting EVs, it may require you to know your IVs for a stat, but it just might work. Still in development (aka I just started) but I have one thing to say about it so far: thank GOD for the property of equality (I can just manipulate the formula I have for IVs to solve it for EVs).

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
You can just use a standard IV calculator for this... In most IV calcs you can imput the level of the poke, its IV's, and its EV's and press "Calculate stats" and it does that.

I think it'd be nice if it could tell me how many EVs I'd need when an analysis suggests to reach a particular stat number. Sure you could use an existing calculator backwards, but if a new one is already being made I'd like to try it.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
How about you get something like this completed and if you really find it that useful then come back and tell us about it.

Sunday

I think it'd be nice if it could tell me how many EVs I'd need when an analysis suggests to reach a particular stat number. Sure you could use an existing calculator backwards, but if a new one is already being made I'd like to try it.
Suggested EV's + 4(31-Your IV)

Easy.

Oh that is easy, people sure make those other equations look long. Now I can just that in a spreadsheet and be on my merry way, thanks!

The point is to be able to see what your IVs are without knowing. I wanted some opinions on whether or not it would be a good idea, but clearly nobody cares so I won't bother.

It's easiest to just memorize how stats are calculated so you don't need niche algorithms and can instead substitute assumed maxima as constants.

Sunday

Yeah, you can't have two variables. The best you get from that is a linear equation Aka a line.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
... I have one thing to say about it so far: thank GOD for the property of equality (I can just manipulate the formula I have for IVs to solve it for EVs).
Careful! It's not as simple as it looks.

The breeding guide contains a section of how to find the IVs of a newly-hatched Pokemon by noting its stats at level 100 in a Wi-Fi battle. The formulae (there's more than one, depending on whether the stat is boosted, hindered, or unaffected by the nature of the Pokemon) aren't very simple.

If the IVs are known, the EVs can be found in a similar fashion.

Assuming the Pokemon is at Level 100, the EVs are found as follows:

1) If the stat is unaffected by the Pokemon's nature:

EV = 4 x (Stat - (2 x B + IV + Num))

where Num = 5 if stat is not HP, and 110 if stat is HP.

2) If the stat is boosted by the Pokemon's nature:

EV = 4 x (ceil(Stat x 10 / 11) - (2 x B + IV + 5))

3) If the stat is hindered by the Pokemon's nature:

EV = 4 x (ceil(Stat x 10 / 9) - (2 x B + IV + 5))

That's right, an EV calculator. Spawned out of my desolate hatred for manually counting EVs, it may require you to know your IVs for a stat, but it just might work. Still in development (aka I just started) but I have one thing to say about it so far: thank GOD for the property of equality (I can just manipulate the formula I have for IVs to solve it for EVs).
lern2EVplz

Lead with your trainee Pokemon. Switch to a high-level Pokemon that can OHKO desired wild Pokemon with ease. Keep track of EVs by noting the number of PPs used by aforementioned high-level Pokemon. Use different moves for different EV values if necessary (i.e. 1 Att EV vs 2 Att EVs) Rinse and repeat as needed.

Or you could use the counting app on the Poketch, and just tap it for however many EVs you should get, and then check against PP used, to ensure accuracy. Or you could even write it down. And if you mess up, use a few berries to fix it.

Or you could reduce the number of times you have to EV train by starting off with 100 EVs from vitamins and then getting pokerus and a weighted item to pull in some 10-12 EVs per pokemon killed.

@X-Act
That's the formula I have.

@Yoda
I don't like doing EVs because I have like no time. You can't argue that EV training stuff takes no time. I go to fucking high school.

Pokerus + D/P Battle tower "Power" items + knowing what trainers to battle via vs. seeker = EV training in 30 minutes or less.

It seriously does not take that long.

EV training can take about 20 minutes if you use some vitamins, and given that I grind E4 whenever Im leveling something, I usually have enough money for it.

@X-Act
That's the formula I have.

@Yoda
I don't like doing EVs because I have like no time. You can't argue that EV training stuff takes no time. I go to fucking high school.
several people still go to schools here. The thing is, you don't need 510 battles to EV-train. The pokerus will double an EVs you receive, and the various power items give 4 EVs (which are doubled by pokerus) so for just one battle, you could get 10 speed Evs from a magikarp if you did all the criteria above.

that's only 50 battles, just about an hour of training or so :/

It just so happens you're here talking to a community of people who have been playing Pokemon since they were seven years old. You'd be surprised to find out that at least one of us has gotten Pokerus and is willing to trade you a pokemon with it.

EDIT: To be fair, RBY came out in 98/99 so I guess that puts us college kids as starting Pokemon around 12.

I've been playing Pokemon since I was seven years old. I've never gotten the Pokerus.
buddy, I can bet I'm actually younger then you are... just ask ANYONE of the wifi forum for a pokerus infecti and you'll get one. I'm guessing you really don't hjave that much of a firm grasp on competitive pokemon yet do you? (playing pokemon since you were little means nothing.) For you to have any idea of how to play this game as we play it here, you need to measure EVs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)