Gen 3 Hi! First time here. Rate my team please.

(Salamence) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast

I use Salamence to force out switches with intimidate. It's my fastest Pokemon so that's how I deal with some of the fast threats. I also use it to bait out status. It sometimes acts as a lategame cleaner but I have better pokemon for the part. It's my go to pokemon to draw heat to.

(Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Wish

Jirachi is here as a potential late game cleaner just in case I need a special one. It's my most well rounded pokemon in the sense that I kind of bring it out when I don't know how to deal with something. It also offers me Wish support which has been rather helpful sustaining my slower pokemon.

Cloyster @ Lum Berry
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 88 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Explosion

Cloyster was forced in the team to offer a huge role compression. It's the teams spinner, spiker, bulky water, kind of physical wall (turns out that ice is a bad defensive typing for physical walls). It's job is sometimes to spin, sometimes to spike or tank but always to explode.

(Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 68 Atk / 132 Def / 164 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Rest
- Shadow Ball

Snorlax is my special wall of choice. It's mere presence pressures the enemy team for a response. I use it so tank hits, spread para and sometimes attempt sweeps with it.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 16 HP / 200 Atk / 120 Def / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave

Tyranitar offers the team offensive pressure but negating leftovers and offers status support and speed control with para. It is supposed to be the main sweeper of the team.

(Heracross) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Focus Punch
- Rock Slide
- Facade

Heracross is here to absorb status and spam cb boosted megahorns for massive damage.

Soooo.... where do we start. That's one of my few not totally trash efforts. I love CB Salamence, but I don't even bluff it, since I lead with it. CM Jirachi is my special sweeper and offers team support via wish. Cloyster I pretty much mushed in there so I could have a bulky water, physical wall, spiker, spinner. Snorlax is there because it's a great special wall and a pressure point on its own. Heracross is there because I need status absorb and love CB and Tyranitar.... is simply there because it's the most powerful pokemon in the ADV meta and I have no idea how to use it. It's there so I can understand what it does.

I have played probably like 40 games with this team, but as with all the teams I build, after a point I just don't know where to go with them. I have no idea how to glue my team together better and have no protect user for scouting. I also have no ice coverage on my team which is rather bad.

On how the team works (or not):

I dent things with Salamence and switch it in in a timely manner to abuse intimidate. I use my Heracross to absorb status and further dent things. Jirachi is usually there for a defensive/supportive switch in or to abuse some late game set up opportunities, Lax is my special wall with a more offensive twist and if needed Cloyster comes in to tank physical hits, spin and die. Yes, I do indeed have no idea how Tyranitar works, just almost randomly bring it out, trying to see what works or doesn't. Notably though it does have a niche in the team: it's my main status support.

This team has struggled in the past and still does with baton teams and in case I lose a lot of momentum and the enemy sets up on something (on the Cloyster or a burned Sala or something). Yes the team does lack roarers and hazers, but I have no idea where to go from here.

Please help and be nice :3

edit: I have read the rules and have tested the team a lot, but even after having read several articles, I feel like I'm on a dead-end in team building again.

If you take claydol with refresh it can act as a complete counter to most spikes. You can drop fire blast on salamence and go with brick break instead for TTar.
Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 24 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Refresh

Flares.

Banned deucer.
Welcome to smogon bud I enjoy the idea of tyranitar having t-wave always good to paralysis people haha overall nice team the idea of lum berry to ensure you get +2 spikes up without losing any hp is insane

Oh thanks for the feedback I have kind of believed the post to be dead.

So... The claydol set seems interesting but I can't really understand the EV spread (230 atk is for better stab earthquakes but is there some 2hit ko or 3hit ko they grant?) and I already have a spinner in Cloyster. It clears spikes, sets a couple of its own and then booms. Psychic is for Gengar, ofc. I don't think that removing my physical sweeper for a more passive pokemon would help in an offensive team.

Yes that thunder wave was more useful than taunt for me because I couldn't really use it well.

Flares.

Banned deucer.
If you take claydol with refresh it can act as a complete counter to most spikes. You can drop fire blast on salamence and go with brick break instead for TTar.
Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 24 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Refresh
How dare you remove the sweeper when he has a spinner already

737373elj

Banned deucer.
[tries to help after months after I was eliminated in the ADV Cup, and has to check if Flame/Toxic Orb exists in ADV!]

Overall, I think this is a great team! :)
Just one suggestion: try Sleep Talk over Curse. Snorlax is a wall, and attacking is an extra. Meanwhile while Snorlax is asleep he can’t attack, so... but that’s my preference :)

maybe you could replace your Calm Mind Jirachi with Calm Mind Blissey, does what Snorl does as a special wall while also being able to set up and apply pressure. Natural Cure lets you soak status too, and also improves your matchup vs CroCune. I would suggest the standard set on smogdex with HP Grass to hit Swamp and Flamethrower for Forretress/Skarm/Celebi
Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Hidden Power Grass
- Flamethrower

i think you have enough physical threats on the team so maybe then replace Snorlax with something that fills the gaps in the team, if you're havin trouble with Baton Pass you can run a Gengar or Vaporeon with Haze maybe. they can both get Ice coverage aswell which helps you vs DDance Salamence which seems to be really good against you. i also think Magneton would be a good addition to trap and eliminate Skarm and Ferro who can cause problems for your physical guys

i'd also say to put HP Bug on TTar instead of TWave so you can hit Celebi, i think it's nice havin that coverage on your win con Pokemon, just gives you more opportunities to come in and click Dragon Dance

maybe you could replace your Calm Mind Jirachi with Calm Mind Blissey, does what Snorl does as a special wall while also being able to set up and apply pressure. Natural Cure lets you soak status too, and also improves your matchup vs CroCune. I would suggest the standard set on smogdex with HP Grass to hit Swamp and Flamethrower for Forretress/Skarm/Celebi
Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Hidden Power Grass
- Flamethrower

i think you have enough physical threats on the team so maybe then replace Snorlax with something that fills the gaps in the team, if you're havin trouble with Baton Pass you can run a Gengar or Vaporeon with Haze maybe. they can both get Ice coverage aswell which helps you vs DDance Salamence which seems to be really good against you. i also think Magneton would be a good addition to trap and eliminate Skarm and Ferro who can cause problems for your physical guys

i'd also say to put HP Bug on TTar instead of TWave so you can hit Celebi, i think it's nice havin that coverage on your win con Pokemon, just gives you more opportunities to come in and click Dragon Dance
Thank you so very much! This is a team with huge holes in it and while trying to fix it I couldn't really do it after a point. It is weak vs a lot of things, but I have no idea how to patch all these holes. I will try prolly adding gengar and blissey and maybe trying hp bug since celebi is really annoying. I will play like 10 to 20 games and be back with more on the team <3

Kurai Hada Ichi

Banned deucer.
i like the premise of the team but there are a few flaws i can think of to just tweak to make this much more deadly.
First and foremost the thunder wave tyrannitar is a nifty idea but the primary switch in to tar is swampert or flygon, both of whom blank twave. flygon in particular your team has trouble killing with the lack of an ice move on the team. i suggest dragon dance tyranitar with ice beam and a naive nature with 252 attack and 252 speed to outspeed starmie since u have some issues with that as well. you can go lum berry on the tyranitar as well to set up on gengar

your salamence is banded which is very strong but i personally believe is not the best thing on tyranitar spikes since it takes sand chip and is pivotal for stopping heracros. a mixed salamence is going to be much better help especially with spikes. the set is kind of set in stone except you can run rock slide over brick break for zapdos and moltres both of who can come in a few times on this set. you can also run a +speed -spdf nature to outspeed other salamence and some +1 speed tyranitar

for the heracross dropping facade for brick break would benefit you more in situations where a fighting stab is needed for the ko and you dont want to miss for example on blissey

the jirachi is a nice touch with wish and it will help your salamence stat alive va heracross and other fighting types, however its trapped by dugtrio and cant kill it in one hit. so ive dropped stab and gone with the good coverage of fire grass along with substitute to set up on thunder wave blissey and “hax” through with the burn chance being elevated due to serene grace on fire punch. the hp evs are so blissey cant break your sib with seismic toss in one hit. if the blissey is toxic instead of tunderwave then you can go to town on a lot of teams especially since dug wont kill you when you have you substitute up

the snorlax is blanked completely by tyranitar and dd tryanitar is an issue for this team so you want to limit its chances to sweep. so a curse set without rest or just 4 attacks would fit better here with one of the attacks being focus punch for skarmory as well and killing tar on the switch. it also chunks metagross. earthquake can also be used with curse self destruct but exploding with your lax isnt ideal since its the only member who handles zapdos.

and finally the part i have the biggest contention with is the cloyster. bulky gengar will 1v1 this cloyster and prevent your spin. it also allows starmie in to spin and if you boom on it you wont make that much progress since lax and +1 tyranitar handle it. instead i suggest dropping spin as a whole and going with a hidden power either electric for gyarados or grass for swampert. the latter is especially nice since your tyranitar has trouble breaking swampert and the more surprise hidden power grasses the better. if you get desperate vs gyarados you can explode on it. normally id suggest ice beam over surf for salamence but ttar is more dangerous for the team than mence is. lum berry is also counterproductive because i cant stress enough how dangerous tyranitar is and not just because of dd but because of its sand stream chipping away cloyster. leftovers negates this and lets you surf it for a 2hko as it wont ohko you from full ( be wary of flinches!)

https://pokepast.es/c36fd84aca83e4ad
^heres the team with the edits. hope you like it!

I'll start by advising you to completely disregard every post above KHI's—everything in them is complete dogshit.

I agree with the majority of KHI's edits, but I see a few things I would tweak further. Here's my reasoning.

• I would use one of these two snorlax movesets: (Focus punch, shadow ball, body slam, self destruct) or (Fire blast, earthquake, body slam, self destruct). The reasoning here is pretty simple; you need an option to prevent skarmory from switching into and spiking freely on snorlax. Skarm can still come in on both of these sets to an extent, but it now must trade a lot of its health if it wants to set up layers, which can enable some of the physical threats you have in the back.
  • Heracross. Hera is a good poke on spikeless offense teams, but it has pretty much the worst synergy with spikes of any OU poke, and it rarely finds its way onto spikes teams. A good "spike abuser" has the majority of its checks vulnerable to spikes, as well as a way to force those checks back out. A quick look at heracross' common switchins shows why its the antithesis of a spike abuser: pokes like salamence, (peck) skarm, gengar, aero, zapdos, gyarados and moltres are among the pokemon most likely to switch in on heracross. All of these are spike-immune. Your team really wants more support against physical pokes like metagross and tyranitar, so a swampert (try this https://pokepast.es/0cd795a7d29f009c) makes a lot of sense here.
  • While KHI's rachi set isn't necessarily flawed in itself, it suffers from a similar issue to heracross, in that it struggles to damage zapdos, aerodactyl, and salamence. Plus, its hardest hitting move is 75 base power (nonstab), so it needs to spend a few turns boosting to do any damage, something that a team this aggressive does not want to do. Ice punch + thunder, keeping sub and calm mind, is a more threatening move selection here (I'd personally invest more in SpA than in speed too).
  • Put some ev's on cloyster.
After these changes, it looks like a pretty threatening cloyster squad. Let me know if you have questions or feedback after using it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)