Project Hidden Gems Ladder Tournament (week 4: Kyurem-White, Lunala and Alcremie)

Approved by Zeefable

Welcome to the Hidden Gems Ladder Tournament, where we attempt to find Pokemon that have been overlooked by the playerbase at large and see if they have a niche. The goal is to promote a more diverse metagame. Here's how it works:

You have 40 matches to get as high on the ladder as you can, using a particular Pokemon (the gem). You must pick and register a special alt (more on that later). Besides the gem, the rest of your team can be whatever you like and you may change it as often as you like. You can change the gem's set as often as you like too. There will be four ranks, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. If you reach Platinum rank, you will automatically be added to the hall of fame and get to nominate a Pokemon for next week's challenge. Once you hit the score required for any of the ranks, please edit your original sign up post with the replay that got you over the threshold. Also include screen caps of your peak and your final score. Lastly, please PM me a Pokepaste of your final team once you've played all 30 matches. You don't have to mention cut mons, or indeed have any info at all besides the team. While it's not compulsory, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on the gems, as I plan on writing an article about this and would like multiple perspectives.

And here are the first gems:

Alt name: [HGLTW1P1] BLANK - Copy and paste the part in square brackets, add whatever you want after e.g. [HGLTW1P1] Chrsfal
Niche on paper: Better version of Clear Body is huge in a meta with both Intimidate and stat drops caused by max moves everywhere. Excellent user of Dynamax as it resists Zacian's Behemoth Blade, and can boost both defences with Max Steelspike and Quake. Makes great use of Weakness Policy as it has common weaknesses and great bulk. Also has nice utility moves in Wide Guard and Trick Room.

Bronze Rank: 1250 points
Silver Rank: 1350 points
Gold Rank: 1450 points
Platinum Rank: 1550 points

Alt: [HGLTW1P2] BLANK
Niche on paper: Threatens rain teams, notably Kyogre, and it can beat Charizard that lack Scorching Sands thanks to resisting both STABs. Grass and Fire resistances combined with ability to set Electric Terrain with Max Lightning let it threaten the VenuCoal combination. It's also a strong Dynamax user as it has Max Airstream with Fly and resists Zacian's Behemoth Blade. Speed tier can also let it work with both Tailwind and Trick Room support.
Bronze Rank: 1200 points
Silver Rank: 1300 points
Gold Rank: 1400 points
Platinum Rank: 1500 points

Alt: [HGLTW1P3] BLANK
Niche on paper: Huge special attack and low Speed make it a solid Trick Room sweeper. It has three great abilities in Sap Sipper, which gives you a Trick Room setter that doesn't care about Amoonguss, Berserk that lets it Snowball and Cloud Nine which shuts off weather shenanigans. Can also provide Speed control with Glare and STAB Max Strike.

No nominating objectively terrible / outclassed Pokemon. It must have a niche, at least on paper.
Nothing ranked above C+ on the Series 11 viability rankings

Good luck everyone! Deadline for this week is Saturday 13th November 22:00 GMT.

Last edited:
Very cool project here, will be participating for sure. Do want to make a nom, kyurem white is overlooked pretty badly and I think it’s a pretty diverse mon in terms of team comp. I also would love to see what people do with ferrothorn, it has a lot of good matchups into a lot of mons.

When making a nomination be sure to mention what niche it has on paper. I will consider all nominations so long as they fit within the guidelines however if you are able to make a platinum rank your nomination is guaranteed to be in the next week’s tournament.

Also, would it help to list sample sets under each gem?

been thinking abt this for a while and said ykw, sure i'll try. how bad can it possibly be (watch me regret my words)

1636364178597.png

Part 1, Solgaleo: Lmao i didn't even reach 1200s
off was my journey to rank. which let me just tell right now, i suck at ranking. at least there was a 30 match limit so i don't have to go on a two hour craze rank, stop for a few minutes, and do it again. it was fine. i searched up for a team, and just went in there. which was, a bad decision. long story short i was on a lose streak but didn't stop to even fix my team and yeah, i reached the cap.
no, the team that i took (not made, i was lazy) wasn't bad. i just had bad luck (i swear to god i tried to do the WP attack ur own teammate thing and kept critting myself everytime) or i was stupid. so i'll do the other two better, hopefully. i bet i just jinxed myself but h a

1636429517568.png

Part 2, Zekrom: I kinda did better?
yea i kinda gave up on reaching 1700 or even 1500. i'm not the best ranker (and my wifi loves to support that by logging off, thanks wifi) so i could only reach the 1200s before dropping down and up again. though realistically i don't think someone can reach 1700 in 30 matches unless they go on a full 30 match winstreak or the points are generous for them. (but whoever does reach 1700, i will absolutely cry and think you're godly). oh, also zekrom fun.
1636551137907.png

Part 3, Drampa: Bootleg Rayquaza
Yoo ngl I had fun with this team and i did way much better than the other two. Though I didn't reach 1200 ueueue, my highest was 1192.
SlaymonSays won the battle!
HGLTW1P3 lavarina's rating: 1192 → 1172
(-20 for losing)
SlaymonSays's rating: 1260 → 1280
(+20 for winning)
and i lost twice after that, and by the time i won my last one it was too late lmao. still!! i had fun with all three cores. i'll give my full-ish thoughts about Drampa later hehe

Last edited:
Also, I just want to suggest future hidden gems
(all my opinion)

Restricted:
- Kyurem-W (Good coverage and big damage)
- Palkia (Nice Speed tier, resists many metagame threats)
- Dialga (Good defensive annoying thing [also does damage])
- Lunala (Unexplored, I think Urshi-S felt off alot considering S9/S10 [even if they're different metas)]
- Zygarde (Great sun counter)

Non-restricted:
- Cinderace (H.O stupid thing)
- Dracovish (H.O stupid thing 2)
- Mienshao (Good support and good damage)
- Entei (Could work as a Sun partner, even with Dynamax around)

Also, the ranks could be lowered a bit to range from 1300 as well, or maybe I am just bad

Alt: [HGLTW1P1] Zacian

On a side note: I think Platinum and to some extent gold rank is incredibly unrealistic in 30 games, especially considering the ladder hasn't established yet and the very top sits around mid 1700s.

Good luck everyone! Deadline for this week is Saturday 13th June 22:00 GMT.
I don't know if this is a mistake or it's meant to be Saturday 13th of November.

Last edited:
Alt: [HGLTW1P1] Zacian

On a side note: I think Platinum and to some extent gold rank is incredibly unrealistic in 30 games, especially considering the ladder hasn't established yet and the very top sits around mid 1700s.

I don't know if this is a mistake or it's meant to be Saturday 13th of November.
My bad that was a typo, it’s been fixed. Also yes I think you’re right on closer reflection those scores were too high.
New rank thresholds (op has been updated):

Solgaleo
Bronze: 1250 points
Silver: 1350 points
Gold: 1450 points
Platinum: 1550 points

Zekrom
Bronze: 1200 points
Silver: 1300 points
Gold: 1400 points
Platinum: 1500 points

Drampa
Bronze: 1250 points
Silver: 1350 points
Gold: 1450 points
Platinum: 1550 points

:sm/solgaleo: HGLTW1P1 lover
gen8vgc2021series11109352.0%1515 ± 621512

I finished off at 1093 after 27 games. What can I say? This thing is so bad. I will give my thoughts here:
Strenghs:
- Fullmetal Body is an excellent ability that protects it from Incineroar and Landorus-T
- Good defensive typing
- Excellent bulk paired with the ability to boost itself with STAB Steelspike and Quake

Weaknesses:
- Not the best Speed tier, considering you'll never run it Jolly 252
- Completely reliant on WP to deal significant damage
- Kind of reliant on Spectrier, if you KO it before it procs Solgaleo's WP its game over pretty much.
- Bad matchups versus Kyogre, Groudon and Zacian-C + Sun
- Vulnerable to status conditions

Well, this are my thoughts for Solgaleo. Wouldn't recommend it. Here's the team I used:
:solgaleo: :spectrier: :primarina: :regieleki: :grimmsnarl: :gothitelle:

Choice Scarf Spectrier is what carries Sun matchup, its the best variant of the supportive set with Solgaleo in my opinion, even if you get locked into bad moves. Also, once again, Solgaleo depending on Spectrier to be significant kills its opportunity of being stronger.

I'm likely not going to participate in the challenge, but I decided to build a team anyways and play a bit of Solgaleo for fun while I was outside doing other activities. Also hit the requirement for Bronze, mish

1636554278366.png

Pokepaste: :Solgaleo: :Urshifu Rapid-Strike-Gmax: :Whimsicott: :Spectrier: :Zapdos: :Cinderace-Gmax:
(Click on the Pokemon)

Looking at it Solgaleo, there are a handful of top tier restricteds that I would actually give it the edge against. These being Zacian, Calyrex-Ice and Kyurem-White, with it having horrid matchups against restricteds such as Groudon, Calyrex-Shadow and Yveltal. So my teambuilding consisted of having SolSpec and 4 Pokemon that work well against those restricteds.

So in building, I Urshifu immediately came to my mind as it beat Umbreon, a Pokemon that Solgaleo normally struggles against. Immediately after, I thought of Whimsicott as a great Pokemon to work together with Urshifu. After that, the Zapdos domino quickly fell in place, as Zapdos + Whimsicott is a combo that does fairly well against Sun Teams. The last Pokemon didn't fall in place too quickly, but Cinderace was a great option, as it was a great support for Solgaleo and Urshifu with Coaching, and could do shenanigans with Ally Switch. (I loved this set so much in s9, credit to HobbitVGC)

With that, I played a small amount of games with the team, facing many sun teams in the process and Whimsicott Zapdos doing major work, with Solgaleo relegated to the role of a 'mini Zacian', with it shining occassionally against the ocassional Calyrex-Ice team I faced.

P.S. Do note that Solgaleo's EVs are slider EVs.

I apologise for the mess that was last week's attempt. On attempting myself, all of the Pokemon nominated were pretty bad, and I initially set the rank threshold way too high. So, with last week's teething problems out of the way, here are next week's Hidden Gems to explore. To celebrate the release of Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl this Friday, we have:

Dialga
Alt: HGLTW2P1 [name]
Bronze Rank: 1200 Points
Silver Rank: 1300 Points
Gold Rank: 1400 Points
Platinum Rank: 1500 Points

Sample sets
Niche on paper: Very powerful Special Attacker, can abuse Trick Room (which it can set up itself) and Tailwind with its Speed tier. Fantastic Dynamax abuser as Max Wyrmwind, Steelspike and Quake all make it harder to take down.

Palkia
Alt: HGLT12P2 [name]
Bronze Rank: 1250 Points
Silver Rank: 1350 Points
Gold Rank: 1450 Points
Platinum Rank: 1550 Points

Sample sets
Niche on paper: Great offensive typing, is welcome on both sun and rain teams since on sun it provides a check to opposing Water types while on rain it gets to launch nuclear STAB Hydro Pumps. Can use Dynamax well since Max Wyrmwind helps with its lower Defence while Max Geyser lets it set up its own Rain. Like Dialga, it can abuse both Tailwind and Trick Room.

Cinderace
Alt: HGLTW2P3 [name]

Sample sets

Niche on paper: Gets STAB on everything thanks to Libero. Pyro Ball and Sucker Punch let it demolish two of the biggest restricted threats in Zacian-C and Calyrex-S. Great Gigantamax abuser as its signature GMax move has insane power and bypasses abilities which is always helpful, and it can boost its teammates Speed and Attack with Max Airstream and Max Knuckle. It can also run a fast support set with Ally Switch and / or Coaching.

Best of luck everyone. Deadline is Saturday 20th November 22:00 GMT.

Last edited:
gonna sign up and update my results in this post as usual :smogduck:

Part 1, Dialga: i made myself confused
Screenshot_20211114-235033_Chrome.jpg

landed on 1200s as the highest, which honestly isn't too bad for me since i still suck at vgc heh. i was quite surprised at how good dialga's speed tier can be in both tailwind and trick room, which was also my downfall because i had to always guess which one to go for and uH OH MY MISTAKE COSTED THE GAME
anyway the team is made by tsltang0508, yes i did discover the team from cybertronvgc how did you guess omg
thoughts on dialga as a whole since im sleepy to go to pms, dialga is definitely a stable mon when supported with the right team. can adapt in different speed tiers, bulk is amazing, but when those support mons are gone and the opponent still has healthy mons going its tough for dialga to end the fight alone in a win. nevertheless, i think its a good mon

Last edited:
:SS/palkia:
If anyone doesn’t know, I’m a big fan of palkia this series so I’m gonna try this see how I do
HGLT12P2 Chrome
Bronze Rank: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series11-1453885580-aa56u358erh0qh8g7zqbats4gn8td8spw
:psycry:Ended at 1315
88B28DD7-2C7C-47F5-8DED-CD77F468B97B.jpeg

used this team for the entire run it’s pretty standard palkia and I made it in like 5 seconds so the spreads suck(stole the mons from gfazzo). Probably should’ve just used my normal palkia team but I wanted to try standard palk core. MVP was definitely AV ferro it put in work in almost every mu(not sun) and it covers for palkia’s weaknesses very well.

Last edited:
Dialga
Alt: HGLTW2P1 ChrFal
Bronze Rank

Dialga has surpassed all my expectations, it's a great Pokemon. It does the same thing as Solgaleo, only it's not absolutely reliant on triggering its Weakness Policy to hit hard. That said, it does greatly struggle with Groudon teams. Very impressed with the time dragon so far, hoping it can take me higher.

Palkia
HGLT12P2 Clipperz
Bronze: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series11-1454124597-r4zaatl95ilhq0jpqkzayl3ewolmoc4pw
Silver: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series11-1454148660-y94ucbwbgcg1pyop7rl76ige7v7nw3tpw
Gold: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series11-1454204271-sth07c9ap7kyfd9xrk7o2bgmbzhrpbdpw
Peak:

End:

Palkia is a great mon. It has solid bulk and does great damage with its stabs especially when paired with a Lustrous Orb. It resists Behemoth Blade and completely walls Kyogre, while hitting important mons like Groudon, Incin and Landorus-T for super effective. It can operate well in or out of tr. This honestly could have been a showcase for Cinderace as well, I was SUPER impressed with it on this run. Some unfortunate crits and paras hurt my chances of hitting 1550, but I think Palkia and this team performed really well.

Last edited:
Palkia
HGLT12P2 Clipperz
Bronze: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series11-1454124597-r4zaatl95ilhq0jpqkzayl3ewolmoc4pw
Silver: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series11-1454148660-y94ucbwbgcg1pyop7rl76ige7v7nw3tpw
Gold: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021series11-1454204271-sth07c9ap7kyfd9xrk7o2bgmbzhrpbdpw
Peak:

End:

Palkia is a great mon. It has solid bulk and does great damage with its stabs especially when paired with a Lustrous Orb. It resists Behemoth Blade and completely walls Kyogre, while hitting important mons like Groudon, Incin and Landorus-T for super effective. It can operate well in or out of tr. This honestly could have been a showcase for Cinderace as well, I was SUPER impressed with it on this run. Some unfortunate crits and paras hurt my chances of hitting 1550, but I think Palkia and this team performed really well.
Congratulations! Could you please include an importable of your team?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)