Hippopotas [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tondas

This hennessy is gonna be the death of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]
  • Hippopotas is the only Pokémon in the tier with access to the ability Sand Stream, which makes it a crucial component to sand teams.
  • In addition, it can perform a role as a Stealth Rock lead with access to reliable recovery in Slack Off and Whirlwind for phazing utility.
  • However, Hippopotas has subpar physical bulk and abysmal special bulk even when invested, as well as a typing that leaves it weak to common special Ice- and Water- type moves, meaning special attackers can often overwhelm it.
  • Outside of setting up sand for its team, Hippopotas will find itself majorly outclassed by most other defensive entry hazard setters, so it's important that it's used for this specific role.

[SET]
name: sand stream
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Whirlwind
move 4: Slack Off
item: Smooth Rock
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Stealth Rock is an effective move as a lead, as it can assist in wearing down opposing Pokémon in conjunction with sand, and it damages Flying- types which are immune to Earthquake.
  • Earthquake is its best STAB move which does considerable damage to frail Fire- and Poison- types such as Magmortar and Skuntank, although not powerful in many situations due to its low base attack stat.
  • Whirlwind allows Hippopotas to phaze Pokémon attempting to set up on it. Toxic can be used over Whirlwind to punish bulky Grass- type and Water- type switch-ins such as Tangela and Silvally-W.
  • Slack Off provides Hippopotas with a form of reliable recovery and helps it stay healthy throughout the match.

Set Details
========
  • Sand Stream is the only reason to ever consider using Hippopotas for a teamslot, so having that ability is important.
  • Smooth Rock is the item of choice for Hippopotas, as it increases the duration of Sand Stream from 5 turns to 8 turns.
  • A physically defensive EV spread with an Impish nature ensures that it's well-equipped for physical attacks.
  • Stealth Rock and sand damage wears down opponents and makes it easier for teammates to clean up late-game.

Usage Tips
========
  • The primary objective of Hippopotas is to support its team by summoning sand and chipping away at opposing Pokémon, and it doesn't accomplish much outside of a pure support role.
  • Bring Hippopotas in as a lead to set up Stealth Rock and activate Sand Stream. As Hippopotas is quite predictable, be prepared for opposing leads that can beat Hippopotas in a 1v1, and play accordingly.
  • Try to avoid accidentally wasting valuable sand turns. Only use Earthquake to pick off weakened Pokémon or hit frail Pokémon switching in.
  • Despite mediocre base stats, Hippopotas can still take attacks under certain conditions. It is important to keep Hippopotas healthy, especially versus teams with opposing weather setters so that you can have the best possible weather control. Be careful with how you bring in Hippopotas, and switch out as soon as possible to maximize turns of sand for the rest of your team.
  • Do not be afraid to sacrifice Hippopotas late-game if you need sand to be set up for your team. However, do be aware that Sand Stream only activates after hazard damage is taken into account.

Team Options
========
  • Stoutland is a mandatory teammate as a Sand Rush sweeper and is the main reason to consider Hippopotas for a teamslot in the first place.
  • In addition, Stoutland appreciates offensive partners such as Kadabra to handle Fighting- and bulky Poison- types. Stoutland also appreciates Pursuit trapping support from Skuntank, eliminating Ghost-types such as Oricorio-G, while additionally providing Defog support to clear the field of potential entry hazards that can wear down Hippopotas. Clefairy is a good answer to moves such as Mach Punch for Stoutland and is unaffected by sand.
  • Alolan Dugtrio has extra firepower from sand by virtue of Sand Force, and it takes on the Ice- types that threaten to hit Hippopotas for super effective damage.
  • Lanturn is able to handle the Water-and Ice- types that threaten Hippopotas and also act as a pivot.
  • Rock- types such as Carracosta and Cradily appreciate the increased special defense from the sand.
  • Grass- type Pokémon such as Lilligant can scare off bulky Water- types that threaten Hippopotas, and weakening or KO'ing them can put the rest of the team in a better position to sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Unfortunately, Hippopotas does not have many other options. Eviolite can be used to give Hippopotas some much-desired bulk, but this comes at the cost of Hippopotas only being able to generate 5 sand turns as opposed to 8.
  • Yawn allows Hippopotas to discourage opposing Pokémon from setting up or otherwise force a switch to help generate momentum.
  • A specially defensive spread with an Impish nature and a spread consisting of 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 SpD can be used. This improves its matchups versus a variety of special attackers while also retaining some physical bulk. This includes avoiding the 2HKO from defensive Mesprit's Psychic and Pallossand's Shadow Ball.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Offensive Pressure**
As the base defense stats of Hippopotas are quite lacking, strong attackers, particularly specially offensive ones, can easily pick it off or severely weaken it, which can be detrimental to the rest of the team as a result. If one opts to run Toxic over Whirlwind, setup sweepers become a nuisance to Hippopotas as well.

**Grass types**
  • Grass- type Pokémon such as Lilligant, Alolan Exeggutor and Tangela take very little from Earthquake switching in and threaten to OHKO Hippopotas with a super-effective move.

**Water types**
  • While not appreciating taking a Toxic, Water- type Pokémon such as Gastrodon and Poliwrath can deal hefty amounts of damage with Scald and possibly even burn Hippopotas.

**Ice types**
  • Ice- type Pokémon such as Articuno and Rotom-F are immune to Earthquake and can fire back with a super-effective move. However, these Ice- types need to be cautious about switching in directly if Stealth Rock is up.

**Flying types**
  • Flying- type Pokémon are immune to Earthquake, the only attacking move Hippopotas has, and leaves it only able to deal damage to them with phazing if Stealth Rocks are up. Swanna and Articuno can hit it with super-effective coverage, Altaria can heal off Toxic with Natural Cure, Archeops can Taunt it and take advantage of the sand's special defense boosts, and many more can Defog away its hazards.
**Opposing Weather Setters**
  • Automatic weather setters such as Abomasnow and Aurorus replace sand just by switching in. Liepard and Volbeat can lock Hippopotas into an unfavorable move, change the weather with priority Rain Dance/Sunny Day and pivot out with U-Turn.

Last edited:

tondas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ready for QC, shouldn't be doing these at three in the morning gn

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tonda Gossa! please check out some other analyses in WIP and the pu analysis thread for some other background. This analysis is nowhere near complete, the formatting is wrong in several places (doesn't look like you copy pasted the template) and the information is really, really lacking. Also I'd drop knock off users and taunt users from checks and counters entirely, they just aren't really any worse for this mon than anything else

tondas

Thank you for letting me know. Changes have been implemented

tondas

I know that this mon is low priority as reflected by its ranking in the VR, so I added some changes and I can put this post back in WIP if it's still not enough. Hopefully the formatting issue is resolved as well. Sorry.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I don't like having to reassign someone's first analysis due to low quality (obviously there's going to be some issues due to you just being new to this), this analysis in particular is just way too problematic. I found myself giving a lengthy comment for literally every single bullet point from overview to usage tips which is just way too excessive. Most of the content here is either wrong or kind of misses the point of what an analysis should be trying to say. If you want to look more at analyses and how writing works and try taking something else in the future, I'd be fine with that, but this is being reassigned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)