SM NU Hitmontop Hates These Trainers (Hyper offense peaked 1st)

Just wanted to share a team that gave me the most fun in competitive gen 7 battling so far. It peaked #1 after an 11 winstreak but that was when the ladder was brand new so didn't want to include that in the title :] But then it actually peaked 1st at 1703 rating. This is a simple spikes stacking hyper offense team (and my first HO) featuring my 2 favorite unova mons.

The formula went like this: Hazard setter - Spinblocker - Defog punisher - Set up Sweeper - Z-Set up sweeper - Offensive Pivot

Heres the team:

Crustle @Figy Berry
Sturdy
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

One of my favorites from Unova. Crustle is my suicide lead. I lead with it 98% of the time. Spread hazards, and stone edge is for a hard hitting stab that OHKOes 252 HP / 0 Def Xatu. Earthquake is great for chipping steelix, golem, garbodor, and rhydon. Figy ensures I live 3 Heavy slams from uninvested steelix, 5-hit rock blast from Rhydon, 6-hit rock blast from jolly LO cincinno (10-hits from trolly kings rock versions) and 3 psychics from uninvested Xatu. Max attack to not be set up bait and max speed to outspeed most hazard setters and tanks.

How to use: Always Stone edge if there is a xatu in the team, your opponent loves to u-turn or volt switch into it turn 1. If they lead with their own hazard setter, setting up rocks is an option. If you manage to get one layer of spike down, and the opponent still has the magic coat or Xatu play, go for an attack. Its important to get off one or more earthquakes vs Steelix, Garbador, Golem, and Rhydon, as most of the team will appreciate the chip. Vs Omastar, set up rocks, and then eq. If omastar double surfs you fine, you prevented shell smash from being a threat anyway.

Mismagius @Fairium Z Ghostium Z
Levitate
Timid Nature
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Shadow Ball
-Dazzling Gleam
-Will-o-wisp Nasty Plot
-Taunt

Spinblocker. Shadow ball for some more chip damage, dazzling gleam mainly super effective coverage, nasty plot allows her to break past some walls, and taunt is an all-round helpful tool for hyper offense. Ghost/fairy coverage is only resisted by pyroar, and mismagius is very helpful vs stall and trick room teams. Holding a Z stone also means that it has a 75% chance to live scarf hitmonlee's knock off after rocks.

How to use: Sometimes I lead with this to stop webs from going up, but there's the mindgames with leavanny's magic coat. Other times I lead with crustle and tough through the webs anyway. Always switch on something that knows rapid spin. ALWAYS. IDC if komala uses shadow claw. If mismagius dies from the spin blocker, use the rest of your team to pressure it from spinning or coming in ever again. Use shadow ball to chip some mons for the rest of your team to sweep. Taunt is great for eviolite mons and Trick room teams. Twinkle tackle is great for deleting any dark/fighting threat, also 252/252+ Hitmontop(73.6% - 86.8% so it always kills when it switches in to rocks and shadow ball). Twinkle Tackle is also a stronger form of chip damage should you need one for stuff such as skuntank or seismitoad. Opting for Ghostium Z as suggested, and it's used sparingly to get rid of a threat to your sweepers e.g. steelix, toxicroak, seismitoad.

Braviary Choice Scarf
Defiant
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
-Brave Bird
-Return
-U-turn
-Superpower

Best defog punisher in the tier. I used jolly in the early times, but I recently opted for adamant as it nets important ohkoes/2hkoes after hazards or chip damage. I still outspeed scarf emboar, and most other scarfers run a positive nature and are above base 80 speed anyway. All I miss out on is certainly outspeeding scarf vanilluxe. Brave bird is your best move, u-turn is for keeping momentum, superpower is for rocks and steels, and return is just a MUCH weaker, recoil-free brave bird. Some people forget intimidate doesn't help them stop this bird.

How to use: Come in on defog to get +2 then shred the opposition. Usually you just spam brave bird. You may have to make predictions with superpower if a healthy steelix or rhydon is still there. You can also come in to revenge stuff like banded sneasel, LO cincinno, and sceptile, or to take a grass hit for samurott.

Samurott Lum Berry
Torrent
Adamant Nature
80 HP / 252 Att / 176 Spe
-Waterfall
-Aqua Jet
-Swords Dance
-Megahorn

My 2nd favorite Unova mon. The set-up sweeper. Speed evs to outspeed max neutral base 60s. I originally ran 216 to outspeed ursaring, but the extra bulk is really nice to get Samurott in that epic torrent range. It also makes it survive 252+ Giga drain from ludicolo, and reduces the chances of sneasel's banded ice shard from revenge killing. Megahorn is for slowbro and grass types. Lum helps vs toxic and burns.

How to use: You can set up on a rapid spin/defog, burnt attackers, or parting shotted foes. You can also setup on very passive mons such as audino or uxie. Don't setup if there is a pyuku. Try to get into torrent range so that +2 aqua jet can deal a ton.

Accelgor Choice Specs
Hydration
Timid Nature
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Bug Buzz
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball
-Sludge Bomb

When ribombee left the tier I looked for the next best thing. Sceptile wasn't cutting it so enter specs accelgor. Faster and stronger than ribombee, it's my way of outspeeding up to 284 speed scarfers. Usually spam bug buzz, but coverage moves are there for desperate situations (I won once using 4 focus blasts in a row). Used to have giga drain, but it was too weak. Originally had sticky hold, but lost cause I was locked into bug buzz and then mega audino knock offed me. Hydration actually put in work vs Rain dance+TWave mesprit.

How to use: Just keep coming in and pressuring stuff with your hard Bug Buzz. You can definitely come in on passive stuff. With a choice item comes great predictions, so always be aware of bug buzz switchins and what they can do with a free turn. Also it can't touch golbat or toxicroak unfortunately so watch out for that.

Klinklang @Steelium Z
Clear Body
Adamant Nature
108 HP / 252 Att / 148 Spe
-Gear Grind
-Shift Gear
-Wild Charge
-Return

Three people suggested removing Accelgor, and replacing it with a dedicated sweeper was an excellent call. I'm not a fan of two setup mons, or even two z-moves, but Klinklang has caused me quick grinding in mid-ladder, and solves my whimsicott and vanilluxe problem. It doesn't have the hinderances of being choice locked, it provides defensive utility, and it is almost impervious to hazards so that my need for a spinner isn't as important. Speed evs are to outspeed the most annoying scarfer (delphox) at +2, the rest is put into bulk to take a scald or a resisted hit.

Silvally electric Memory
RKS System
Modest Nature
240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Shadow Ball
-Parting Shot

Silvally is my glue to the team. Used to be dark but necrozma is gone. Electric is used to act as a switch in to scarf rotom-mow. Electric is also not bad defensively. Stab on thunderbolt allows it to effectively pressure golbat. Surf is for the pesky fire and ground types, and shadow ball is filler, but is an excellent middle ground pick for switch-ins and hurts ghosts and psychics. 16 speed makes it my ursaring outspeeder.

How to use: Everything about Silvally is always a middle ground pick. If you're unsure of how to take a hit, you can always use silvally to take the big hits like choiced attackers, or weather boosted attackers, or trick room fueled attackers. Wear down their hp if its threatening your team, parting shot if you are looking for a sweep (or don't want to be set up on). Silvally's got dat bulk.

Whimsicott Life Orb
Prankster
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Energy Ball
-Moonblast
-Psychic
-Encore

A Set suggested by Disjunction. Scott compliments my team very well, slamming bulky waters, luring toxicroaks, and dissuading setup. He also has decently powerful fairy stab for virizion, hitmons, druddigon and sneasel.

Threatlist:

Contact killers: Garbador stacks up hazards and really hurts my physical attackers. I got no way to reliably kill it, so EQ with crustle is important. Druddigon and togedemaru are similarly annoying. Z-moves are key for bringing them down without strife.

Hazards i guess: I have no hazard control

Anti Samurott: When I saw Jellicent, Toxicroak, and Rotom-mow in one team, I knew this would be near impossible. Not only do these 3 mons put samurott down, they also take a hit from the rest of my mons and I often have to keep a certain mon alive unless I want to lose to one of them.

Steelix: This boy stops Klinklang and braviary from doing their job

That's all I can think of at the minute.

Conclusion:

That's all there is. Set hazards, then nonstop pressure. Feel free to use this team, but I'm looking for suggestions to deal with the threatlist. Silvally is obviously the most random member of the team so there's definitely room for change. Thank you for reading, and SEE YA!

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lead Crustle / Fairium Mismag / Scarf Braviary / SD Samurott / Specs Accelgor / Special Silvally-Elec

Hey dude, cool team! Hyper offensive teams like this are really cool and Crustle is a pretty underappreciated setter, in my opinion, so it's cool to see you've had some success with it! I have a couple of suggestions for the squad that you might like, too.

First off, I vastly prefer this Mismagius set on hyper offensive teams like this

Mismagius @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt

Nasty Plot is a necessity a lot of the time otherwise you just aren't hitting hard enough or applying enough offensive pressure on the opponent. Will-o is cool for some physical attackers, but I've usually found it way more useful to just be able to nuke them out of the game with a +2 Z-Shadow Ball. +2 Dazzling Gleam also takes care of just about everything that a neutral Dazzling Gleam does, too!

Another big thing I'm noticing with the team is a lack of a solid offensive Water-type check. Silvally-Electric can revenge kill a couple of them, but you're really pressured in a situation where you're staring down an opposing Barbaracle at +2 or a boosted Samurott which can happen pretty easily if you let Braviary or Accelgor get locked into the wrong move. I suggest changing Silvally-Electric to the following as a result:

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Encore

With the threat of a Prankster Encore in the back, it makes Water-type sweepers more hesitant to try and set up. Life Orb gives it a good deal more power, too, so you act as an effective late-game cleaner and mid-game wallbreaker.

The rest of the team seems pretty cool! I bet you could try out some other cool Pokemon in the Accelgor slot, too, if you wanted. Maybe a more dedicated sweeper like CM Delphox or Shift Gear Klinklang since Whimsicott can handle a lot of the same stuff Accelgor was doing. Totally, optional, though!

Summary of changes:
Mismagius: Fairium Z w/ Will-o-Wisp --> Nasty Plot with Ghostium Z
Silvally-Electric --> Life Orb Whimsicott with Encore

Lead Crustle / Fairium Mismag / Scarf Braviary / SD Samurott / Specs Accelgor / Special Silvally-Elec

Hey dude, cool team! Hyper offensive teams like this are really cool and Crustle is a pretty underappreciated setter, in my opinion, so it's cool to see you've had some success with it! I have a couple of suggestions for the squad that you might like, too.

First off, I vastly prefer this Mismagius set on hyper offensive teams like this

Mismagius @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt

Nasty Plot is a necessity a lot of the time otherwise you just aren't hitting hard enough or applying enough offensive pressure on the opponent. Will-o is cool for some physical attackers, but I've usually found it way more useful to just be able to nuke them out of the game with a +2 Z-Shadow Ball. +2 Dazzling Gleam also takes care of just about everything that a neutral Dazzling Gleam does, too!

Another big thing I'm noticing with the team is a lack of a solid offensive Water-type check. Silvally-Electric can revenge kill a couple of them, but you're really pressured in a situation where you're staring down an opposing Barbaracle at +2 or a boosted Samurott which can happen pretty easily if you let Braviary or Accelgor get locked into the wrong move. I suggest changing Silvally-Electric to the following as a result:

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Encore

With the threat of a Prankster Encore in the back, it makes Water-type sweepers more hesitant to try and set up. Life Orb gives it a good deal more power, too, so you act as an effective late-game cleaner and mid-game wallbreaker.

The rest of the team seems pretty cool! I bet you could try out some other cool Pokemon in the Accelgor slot, too, if you wanted. Maybe a more dedicated sweeper like CM Delphox or Shift Gear Klinklang since Whimsicott can handle a lot of the same stuff Accelgor was doing. Totally, optional, though!

Summary of changes:
Mismagius: Fairium Z w/ Will-o-Wisp --> Nasty Plot with Ghostium Z
Silvally-Electric --> Life Orb Whimsicott with Encore
I've implemented these changes, and here are my thoughts. Nasty plot ghostium mismagius is doing great. She gets setup opportunities by forcing switch ins, I do miss fairium sometimes but this mon is actually tearing holes now.

Whimsicott is practically a perfect replacement. I got another check to toxicroak, seismitoed, set up, lilligant, jellicent, virizion, and something that can switch into rotom-C. All the most annoying mons for the team! It can't switch in as much because its not as bulky as silvally plus lo recoil, but dayum its putting in work!

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Hey,

I'm trying to start a YouTube segment called Test That Team where I play and rate teams. Just used your team for my most recent installment and I wanted to give you my thoughts.

I played some matches with this team and really enjoyed it. Overall it is a fun team to play with, although I do agree Silvally is an odd fit and can be upgraded. Ultimately I put in Torkoal (I was running it in RU at the time) as it gave a rapid spin option to help get rid of opposing hazards. For NU, which this team is intended, the Whimiscott suggestion above seems best.

Let me know what you think of my feedback/summary of your team:

Hey,

I'm trying to start a YouTube segment called Test That Team where I play and rate teams. Just used your team for my most recent installment and I wanted to give you my thoughts.

I played some matches with this team and really enjoyed it. Overall it is a fun team to play with, although I do agree Silvally is an odd fit and can be upgraded. Ultimately I put in Torkoal (I was running it in RU at the time) as it gave a rapid spin option to help get rid of opposing hazards. For NU, which this team is intended, the Whimiscott suggestion above seems best.

Let me know what you think of my feedback/summary of your team:

The grading dampered my mood a bit because academically that equals F.
But I'll go over your video in a civil manner because there are negative stuff I agree on.

1. The silvally definitely feels out of place.

2. Accelgor does appear random. It served as a discount ribombee (that mon was banned from nu) but i guess its missing the most important thing in fairy stab. I keep looking for a fast and strong special sweeper in NU, because this team could use those attributes.

3. Its incredibly prediction based. Yeah, choice item life is rough. Missing a prediction or overpredicting(me atm :[ ) makes this team crumble.

4. (Not really negative) just like the first reply said, crustle is definitely an underrated hazard stacker.

Things I disagree with:
1. Braviary isn't random. I thought of it as a staple because it punishes defog, and nothing else in the tier can get that much reward from defog.

2. Your usage of silvally was rather questionable. I never saw parting shot, which is my most used move with him. In the first game, it was either parting shot druddigon or shadow ball (for dragon tail/xatu). In the game with Wartortle, after landing that tbolt, it was likely your opponent will save his spinner and switch out. Trick room teams like the last one is usually a winning matchup, as most abusers/setters in the tier have a problem with mismagius or samurott. Silvally is especially useful for fodder here, as it even has about %50 chance to live A-Exeggutor's devastating drake. The goal is to get up hazards, then stall out TR by sacking silvally+one choiced mon, then have mismagius/samurott come in to taunt, shadow ball or swords dance(if no exeggutor)
Though this doesn't matter anymore now that I have whimsicott.

Thanks for the rate! I definitely liked the structure of your vid and gonna watch your other team reviews sometime.
Also you inspired me to pick this team back up again, find imorovements, and maybe provide replays to solidify my points if this thread gets feedback again.

Don't be upset about the grading system; remember it's all just subjective to my opinion and experiences and that could be worth next to nothing. :D

For example one of the teams I did rating on I ran across literally 4 straight matches of Mega Houndoom and it wrecked that team, but in the grand scheme of things the odds of that happening are next to 0. So my experience using the team wasn't necessarily what a majority of others would encounter. Typically I'll test a team for 10-15 matches and then put up the 4-5 that showcase it with my points the best.

I personally feel the enjoyment factor plays a big role, because ultimately this a game for enjoyment. So to that end I really loved encountering Crustle as a setter; I've never really paid that much attention to it, but it really works. As far as Silvally is (or in this case was) concerned I just didn't feel it added or subtracted real value in my matches. The other 5 each had their own merits and times where they would work towards the end game strategy and Silvally just never pulled that weight for me. Admittedly my usage could have been off; I've just started competitively battling in earnest about ~6 months ago so there's still a learning curve present.

Thanks for the feedback though, it definitely helps me to improve and get better.

Hey man, hope you're well. Firstly I'm no scrub, having peaked 1 on the NU ladder multiple times this generation. I agree entirely with Disjunction's rate and changes. Having tested this team I can't help but feel Accelgor is the weak link - it doesn't really add anything (you already have 2 fast special attackers) and provides 0 defensive utility. Crustle is underrated as a pokemon that can set both hazards and defeat Xatu 1 vs. 1. Mismagius then becomes mandatory as a spinblocker. Whimsicott is the best Pokemon in the tier, Samurott is your potent set up sweeper and Braviary the Scarfed Defog punisher.
I'm one of the greatest battlers in the world but a poor teambuilder in general besides a few exceptions. However, I think some hazard control of your own would be optimal in the Accelgor slot, because opponents primarily using Garb teams were able to stack multiple hazards against me which is really punishing for this team.
~WhimsicottIsBroken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)