Pet Mod Hoenn Gaiden - Slate 14 (Return and Rework)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:empoleon: :jellicent: :marowak-alola: :gliscor: :eelektross: :runerigus:
Voting for 6, there are no vote rules indicated btw i saw them now, please add them to the OP, also, its ridiculous to veto zygarde but let hippowdown run free lol, zygarde would be fine imo, hippo has similar bulk + instant recovery. on the other hand the combination of glare and shed skin is very worrying indeed, makes rest a 100% recovery move more than scald burns its target, a different ability would help balance it

Last edited:
I'm glad that I finally remembered yesterday that Arena Trap (ew) and Baton Pass (double ew) were still legal in this gen and are thus presumably still legal for this Pet Mod since that definitely changes at least some of my votes. I'm just going to err on the side of caution here and try to give some lesser mons some love that just happen to be more defensive on the whole. After all, it seems easier to fix most mons that end up too good at walling rather than things that end up murdering almost everything in the metagame with ease.

01. Ema Skye's Lickilicky :lickilicky:
02. Ema Skye's Jellicent :jellicent:
03. ViZar's Eelektross :eelektross:
04. ViZar's Cryogonal :cryogonal:
05. Yoshiblaze's Tangrowth :tangrowth:
06. Yoshiblaze's Runerigus :runerigus:

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
  1. Yung Dramps - Abomasnow
  2. Yung Dramps - Silvally
  3. readytolose - Arctozolt
  4. Ema Skye - Jellicent
  5. Mossy Sandwich - Accelgor
  6. Yoshiblaze - Tangrowth

Ema Skye

Work!
Winners!

:jellicent:
:abomasnow:
:silvally:
:eelektross:
:gliscor:
:cryogonal:

Taging ViZar to do the coding. We will let you know when the meta has been created.

In the meantime, please discuss what changes these Pokemon will bring to the metagame. Reminder that Abomasnow brings Snow Warning to the meta, and Silvally brings its plates, RKS System and Multi Attack to the meta. Multi Attack's physical/special split is dependent on its typing. At the moment, it will be 90 BP (Gen 7 version) but, if needed, we can buff it to 120 BP (Gen 8 version) if it needs help.

Congrats to the winners.

I should probably be the last person speaking on this, especially given the fact that I haven't touched ADV in over a decade, but since you asked for all around impressions with two of the mons that won were ones I liked but had reservations about (and the third being Gliscor)...:

:jellicent: = Maybe the safest pick of the six that won and the one that has most obvious impact between basically being a huge problem for every other Water type, including Suicune and of which only Starmie can easily deal with it but can't necessarily freely switch in due to Ghost STAB, and being a significant hurdle for both the prominent mons of Metagross and Tyranitar as well. While Tyranitar is faster than it, Jellicent is bulky enough to survive at least one Pursuit out on the switch unlike Gengar and can't be freely switched into between its Water STAB, its access to WoW, and Sandstorm not boosting Tyranitar's Special Defense in this gen. Even Blissey isn't that big of deal for a mon that basically wants to be special almost all the time even with one of its STAB now always physical since access to Taunt and higher natural speed means the typical Blissey does absolutely nothing to it most of the time and loses. Cloyster also basically becomes entirely dead weight against any team with Jellicent outside of clicking Spikes--poor mon. We should be lucky that Scald isn't part of Gen III since otherwise it would be an even greater pain for a bunch of mons, though Celebi and Starmie are lucky in a sense that Shadow Ball and Hidden Power [Bug] go off of Jellicent's far weaker attacking stat in this gen, meaning they can perhaps switch in a bit more freely than they otherwise would be able to do.

:abomasnow: = This is one of the three mons that won that I had reservations about voting for and still have reservations about for reasons I will explain. In Abomasnow's case, it's less that it has any chance of being broken and more that constant Hail itself is essentially just a better version of Sandstorm that hits even more things. Given that Tyranitar's eternal Sandstorm practically defines the ADV OU meta (and really every meta up to Gen VI when weather stopped being infinite), that seems...rather problematic even if Abomasnow is far less threatening of a mon overall than Tyranitar. Abomasnow being far less threatening is also true given all of us may have forgotten something, especially the people who voted for it to win: Blizzard wasn't "always accurate" in Hail until Gen IV, the gen that introduced Abomasnow, meaning that even in Hail this gen, Blizzard is going to be an abysmal 70% still unless something changes. Whoops?

:silvally: = This is the second of the three mons that won that I had reservations about voting for--sorry Yung Dramps, it's nothing personal--despite liking both of Abomasnow and Silvally even if they turned out to largely be disappointing in the Gens they debuted in and beyond--Silvally far more so. In Silvally's case, my reservation that this is more like adding 16 15 new mons at once than just one mon. So it's really difficult to tell what impact all of the forms will have, especially given how they split along physical and special. I wouldn't be surprised if Silvally-Steel was still the best of the lot, and some of the forms will inevitably still be somewhat underwhelming, but I can imagine that some forms that are normally completely garbage might be viable without Stealth Rock to murder them. In particular, I think Silvally-Flying and even Silvally-Bug might be pretty nice, with the former completely dodging Dugtrio and being the only form to completely dodge Spikes and the latter having the second strongest Bug attack in this Gen at 100% accuracy, having enough bulk to not be afraid of Dugtrio trapping it if healthy, and hitting Tyranitar super effectively & a surprising amount of threats neutrally.

It still has significant amount of flaws though. The items it needs to hold, Memories, are still among the weakest items in the entire series to have any actual effect. It gives up Leftovers naturally because of that...in a meta defined by Sandstorm. It lacks healing still besides Rest, and two of three forms that don't get chipped by Sandstorm--one of them being Silvally-Steel--get mauled by Dugtrio if they've taken much damage. All of the forms except for Silvally-Flying similarly get whittled down by Spikes, and all of the forms are have the type being special basically get walled by Blissey unless they want to use Explosion; Silvally-Psychic is likely still the worst and hot garbage though.

If nothing else, Silvally-Ghost looks rather powerful as a cleaner between access to Swords Dance, the strongest (physical) Ghost STAB in the entire Gen even with Multi-Attack back at 90 BP, and access to Explosion. I guess we'll see though.

:eelektross: = Probably the one that's most difficult for me to say much about it, which I guess is a welcome reprieve from my blathering above. Besides what ViZar said in his own post, it's basically guaranteed to be a strong offensive threat given its natural special coverage where nothing really safely comes on it save for Blissey and even Blissey it can technically just smack with Superpower from what's actually its higher attacking stat. This is a new threat to be sure despite its slow Speed.

:gliscor: = The third of the three mons I had reservations about, Gliscor mainly worries me between having access to Baton Pass (ugh) and a slightly stronger Flying STAB than it was left with after this generation due to Hidden Power [Flying] being physical here. It's also the only mon that won that's naturally immune to Sandstorm damage and is weirdly quite fast for something as bulky as it naturally is. With both Poison Heal and Roost being gone, its bulkiness will likely be less obnoxious thankfully, but I can easily see it becoming a type of cleaner here even it actually has to worry about being hit by status now.

:cryogonal: = This is the mon that won that might have that might already have the most problems, even before Blizzard in Hail not working as it does in Gen IV onward. I probably should have thought about this more before voting for both this and Jellicent at once, but Jellicent just somewhat walls this thing as a Rapid Spinner even if neither of them can really do much to each other besides Toxic--whoops. It's nice to have another Rapid Spinner of course, especially one that's actually immune to Spikes and can murder the other non-Jellicent Ghosts rather easily, but it remains to be seen what it will do in a meta where Jellicent is rather abundant if that becomes the case. Besides that, even with ViZar using its Gen VII-and-onward stats, its physical defenses are still bad enough that not being subject to Arena Trap doesn't actually mean much when Dugtrio can still force it out under threat of instant death. At least it takes Pursuit far better than it would in generations after this due to Pursuit still being special like how Knock Off is in Gen III, so it's not as bad against Tyranitar too as I thought it might be. Finally, it will of course benefit from Hail if that takes off and makes every other non-Ice mon miserable even without being able to Blizzard almost everything to death too.

[/horrible assessments]

ViZar

your toast is burned
Okay, let's talk about business. First thing I want to mention is that I'm not quite finished with coding, because of a lack of time. No worries, I'll work on it tomorrow.

Anyway, let's talk about the new mons. I'll be taking the VR from existing ADV into account when talking about these.

:ss/jellicent:
Jellicent is a great Pokémon and I think that's obvious. It has a really good typing, recovery and ability, which allows it to check Fighting- and some Fire-types, alongside the spinners Starmie, Claydol, Forretress, Cloyster and the new Cryogonal. Recover, Will-O-Wisp and Taunt are nice moves to have and Water Absorb makes it a hard counter to offensive Water-types. Despite its excellence it faces competition from Swampert and Milotic. Swampert doesn't have those 3 moves I mentioned and it can't block spin, but it is bulkier on the physical side without loosing much special bulk and it blocks Electric Moves. The crucial parts are its Sandstorm immunity and Rock resistence. Those traits allow it to check Metagross, Tyranitar, Aerodactyl and Salamance. Milotic is bulkier than Jellicent on both sides and it doesn't mind status much thanks to Marvel Scale and it can run Recover if the status becomes to much. An advantage that both have over Jellicent are their offensive presences. It doesn't mean that Jellicent is bad, it's really good. It's just that it faces competition from other Water-types that have unique advantages over it.
Easy A Rank

I think it works well on Spikes Teams (obviously) and thus Pokémon like Aerodactyl, Tyranitar, Moltres and Skarmory are great allies. The former three appreciating their checks getting worn down by Spikes (mainly Swampert) and the latter being the most common Spikes setter.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Protect
- Toxic

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 28 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

:ss/abomasnow:
Abomasnows niche is pretty clear. Messing with Tyranitars sand. This Pokémon summons hail and only it and Cloyster being the only OU mons that are viable and immune to Hail. Good thing it can't spam Blizzard, but it is still a stall machine with SubSeed and Giga Drain which only has the Hail niche going for it. Like yeah, it is annoying, but it is hit super effectively by almost every Pokémon. The thing is, it interrupts Tyranitars sand, but it can't 1v1 it. Also it competes with Celebi and Breloom as a Grass-type. Celebi has Baton Pass and Calm Mind with great stats and a great ability, while Breloom has Spore and an immense Damage-Output. It has a place in the Meta, but I honestly don't think it has a great niche.
Probably C1 Rank

It's difficult to say what works well with it since everything besides itself and other Ice-types get worn down and stacking Hail immune Pokémon isn't the greatest idea. A good partner might be Dugtrio since it removes Tyranitar.
Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 132 SpA / 60 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Magneton @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic
- Substitute

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Cloyster @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
- Drill Peck
- Roar
- Toxic
- Protect

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]

:ss/silvally:
This Pokémon is pretty cool ngl. In general, Silvally has solid stats and some good coverage options, eventhough its decent at best movepool got worse. Since there are so many forms, I will go through them quickly:
  • Outclassed by Heracross. Heracross has Megahorn, Fighting STAB and a stronger Rock Slide for Flying-types. F Rank
  • Outclassed by Tyranitar. Tyranitar is unpredictable, strong and effective at it. E Rank
  • That's some good shit. There are no special Dragons outside of Kingdra, but Dragally has better stats and coverage. B2 Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Electric-types. It's the weakest of them all and it isn't worth using. F Rank
  • This one actually cool. It faces competition from Machamp and Heracross, but Multi-Attack, Shadow Ball and SD is great to have. C1 Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Fire-types. All the other Fires have an advantage over it while this has nothing going for it. F Rank
  • Spikes immune and good Flying STAB without using HP. I really like this honestly. B2 Rank
  • Kinda outclassed. It has Multi-Attack for STAB, but that's honeslty all it has. SD + Rock Slide and Explosion is cool though. C2 Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Grass-types. Celebi is just better and Breloom has Spore + Focus Punch. F Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Ground-types. It doesn't have EQ plus competing with Gliscor and Swampert isn't really great. E Rank
  • Outclassed by Regice, who is BL. F Rank
  • The base form is great. With Return, Shadow Ball, Explosion and SD for Leftovers sets and Rock Slide for CB sets. I really like this. A Rank
  • No. F Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Psychic-types. Celebi (see Grass), Jirachi and Metagross are just better. F Rank
  • Outclassed by Regirock, who is BL. F Rank
  • Outclassed by Registeel who is BL. F Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Water-types. Why use this over Suicune, Swampert, Jellicent, Milotic, Gyarados and Starmie. Why? F Rank
No Sample Teams, since there are many and I don't want to invest 2 hours for each type.

:ss/eelektross::ss/gliscor::ss/cryogonal:
The last three winners are my subs and if you want more insight, look here.

Here are some thoughts that came up:
:eelektross: Really cool and my favorite submission of mine. I really look forward to it. B2 Rank

:gliscor: I didn't consider Baton Pass on Gliscor and that's an issue. B1 Rank
1618092309540.png

:cryogonal: I don't get how it won. It could've had a niche, but Jellicent kills it. Kinda blows. F Rank

This is it from me. I'll get to bed now and tomorrow I'll code these Pokémon.
Cya!

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
:cryogonal: I don't get how it won. It could've had a niche, but Jellicent kills it. Kinda blows. F Rank
Not a Gen 3 metagame player but I will say that submitting Ice-type with high defeneive side on either side and not a high enough Special Attack (95 Special Attack is not good enough on a fast Pokémon) is very ill-adviced. Cryogonal was only RU back in Gen 5 and then fall back into PU and then goes untiered since Gen 6, and that’s for good reasons.

Ema Skye

Work!
Slate 1 has been coded and is currently awaiting implementation when DH resets next.

Time for Slate 2!

BUFF SLATE!

Pick a Gen 3 mon ranked BL or lower and give them a buff. You may do any/all of the following:
  • ability changes
  • type changes
  • move additions
  • base stat reshuffle (keeping same BST but allocated differently - up to 20 points)
  • BST increase (BST limit is 520)
Additionally, as Gen 3 has some 'problematic' elements in its competitive use, we are also going to combine a 'mini' nerf slate here, for the following elements:
  • Mr. Mime: needs a new ability (Soundproof makes Baton Pass chains too strong)
  • Ninjask: needs a new ability (Speed Boost + Baton Pass is too much)
  • Sandslash/Cacturne: both need a new ability (Sand Veil is banned)
    • OR Sand Veil: needs a new effect (existing users are Sandslash, Cacturne, Dugtrio and Gliscor)
All of these mons can qualify for the above-listed buffs (even though Mr. Mime is Ubers, it will not be OU with a new ability).

Slate 2 will end in about 80 hours from now (Tuesday afternoon for North American users).

For the buffs, we will be picking top 6 again (assuming we get at least 7 subs).

For nerfs, we will be picking one for each element.

Last edited:
:rs/articuno:
buff: stat swap, move additions.
from 90/85/100/95/125/85 to 90/85/95/125/100/85, add waterfall if not surf.
effect: articuno's main issue is being a defensive pokemon with a horrible type combination, with pokemon like tyranitar in the tier and the addition of jellicent most ice types and water types will struggle already, the stat swap attempts to restore its role from gen1 as a very strong special attacker.

Added water coverage to discourage tyranitar and fire types from switching in as well as round out better coverage for an agility 3 attacks set. Water/Ice is still resisted by a lot of pokemon in the tier and depending on what hidden power types it chooses different pokemon will wall it, the best combination being ice beam, surf, hidden power grass.

:rs/donphan:
buff: movepool additions, ability addition, stat addition
Give it knock off, foresight and Sand Veil, +5 atk/def, +10 hp

Donphan is already viable but has a hard time being justified over claydol as a spinner because of the latter's mix of resistances (particularly edgequake thanks to levitate), better special bulk, a stab that prevents gengar from getting in without worry and access to refresh, while giving donphan refresh is tempting it doesn't do enough to justify using it over claydol so i took an alternate route and gave it knock off for extra utility and indirectly buffed it by giving it sand veil, the extra bulk from my effect would let donphan afford more special bulk evs but i'm sure whatever others come up with should be good for the most part too.

Remember sturdy doesn't let you survive moves that would have been ohko from full hp this gen so a change of ability is very helpful in this case, the stat boost is necessary to avoid it being outshined as a physical wall by gliscor but i'm afraid that will be in vain, still, the mix of better bulk, rapid spin and more raw power keep it in the range of usable.

New effect for sand veil: Pokemon's defense is 1.1x while under sandstorm

Last edited:
:swsh/cacturne:
Name of Pokemon: Cacturne
Typing: Grass / Dark
Stats: 80 / 115 / 80 / 115 / 60 / 65 (+20 Def, +10 HP/Spe, BST 475 > 515)
Abilities: Water Absorb / Sand Veil
Added Moves: Low Kick, Sludge Bomb, Synthesis, Trick

Why It Should Be Picked: With Jellicent shaping up to be a tough contender in the meta, I figure having some sort of reliable check to it is required, and Cacturne's a Pokémon that fits the main slate requirement, needs an ability shift, and is one of my Gen 3 'mons designwise, so here we are.

Stat changes: One of Cacturne's problems is that its bulk is... not all that good. A buff to HP and a larger one to defense makes it more able to reliably take a hit or two, even if it's still somewhat unfortunate. Speed also gets a bit of nudge, but it doesn't make too much of a difference. Still, it's enough to be able to sneak ahead of some threats like Swampert, Tyranitar, and new meta addition Jellicent.

Move additions: I decided to keep new moves lowish as to not give it too many extra tools, being either backports (Low Kick and Synthesis), or replacements for other moves (Sludge Bomb and Trick for Poison Jab and Switcheroo, respectively). They're all somewhat niche at best, but Sludge Bomb is a strong physical option for Swords Dance sets letting it get an edge on other grass types while keeping Hidden Power open for a different type, while Low Kick gives it a non-gimmick Fighting move.

Ability changes: Water Absorb became a legal ability for it in Gen 5, while also being around in Gen 3, so this is both an ability fix and one that's very easy to justify. Sand Veil is still kept but with the 'can't be used in format' thing, unless someone submits a change for the ability's effect that gets accepted.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
:ursaring:
buff: type change, stat increase, new moves
typing: normal/fighting
stats: +20 spe
new moves: sky uppercut

Speed boost is helpful in outspeeding Tyranitar, Skarmory, Metagross and Swampert. Guts will hit incredibly hard, letting it break through most of OU's walls, and it takes advantage of Toxic being everywhere. Of course, it does drop quickly due to taking Toxic damage, Spikes and Sandstorm, but during those turns while it is out, it can absolutely make a difference. Sky Uppercut is mainly for reliable stab, but Focus Punch will likely see more use given all of the switches it will cause.

:ledian:
buff: type change, stat increase, new moves, stat shuffle, ability change (tl:dr: it's a new mon)
typing: bug/psychic
stats: 60/40/80/90/120/110 [505 BST]
Abilities: Shield Dust (replaces Swarm), Natural Cure (replaces Early Bird)
new moves: Psychic, Tail Glow, Calm Mind, Recover, Future Sight, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Trick, Whirlwind

Okay so as anyone knows, Ledian is awful. Rather than go the physical attacking route, which I don't think is viable given how it would be reliant on its Hidden Power for STAB, I went special attacker. I found that Tail Glow exists in Gen 3 and based it around there. Psychic seemed like a typing that fit with flavor, so I used Orbeetle for inspiration (hence: Recover, Trick, Future Sight). I also gave it some utility moves, such as powders and phazing, so that it could further contrast with OU's many viable Psychic types. But really, the big thing here is Tail Glow. It can even Baton Pass it!

Last edited:
:rs/dodrio:
Name of Pokémon: Dodrio
Typing: Normal/Flying
New Stats: 60/110/70/60/60/110 (+10 Spe) (Gen 7 Stats)
New Abilities: Limber (Replaces Run Away) / Early Bird
New Moves: Swords Dance, Jump Kick, Low Kick
Why It Should Be Picked: Gen 7 Dodrio would be amazing to have in Gen 3. Dodrio is already a just okay breaker, but faces major competition as Flying-type from Charizard, Salamence, Gliscor, and to a lesser extent, Swellow. With Gen 7's Speed boost and new move additions in Swords Dance and Jump Kick (plus the Gen 2 event move Low Kick), Dodrio can carve itself a niche. In Gen 3, the 110 Speed tier is SO much better than the 100 Speed tier, getting the jump on Salamence, Zapdos, Jirachi, and Cryogonal, and tying Gengar. Not having to rely on speed ties to get past those threats with a Banded set is a huge boon. Speaking of which, thanks to coverage in Low Kick/Jump Kick, Banded Dodrio sets with Double-Edge, Drill Peck, Fighting move, and Hidden Power Ground can easily threaten almost the entire tier, and if your opponent is scared enough to be forced out, you can surprise them with a Swords Dance and go to town. While it still has to compete with the premier Flying-type Salamence, Swords Dance and a 110 Speed tier gives Dodrio an actual reason to be used over it.

:rs/venusaur:
Name of Pokémon: Venusaur
Typing: Grass/Poison
New Stats: 80/100/83/80/100/82 (Stats rearranged)
New Abilities: Overgrow
New Moves: Shadow Ball, Rock Slide
Why It Should Be Picked: Venusaur is actually already pretty decent, but having to compete with Celebi and Breloom sucks, so lets lean in on what already makes it okay in hopes of making it even better. Thanks to Grass being a horrible type offensively in Gen 3, Venusaur was forced to run Sludge Bomb on its Defensive set, which is a fairly strong move, but only coming off of 82 Attack and Poison also sucking offensively made it passive. Now with 100 Attack, this makes its Sludge Bombs a lot more threatening, like being able to always 3HKO Celebi rather than only having a 10% chance to do so before. This buff also makes Swords Dance and Curse Venusaur a lot more threatening, actually being able to threaten Metagross even unboosted. Shadow Ball and Rock Slide are there to help with Gengar, Zapdos, and chipping Skarmory, since you lose HP Fire's effectiveness against it. The very slight Speed boost it gets lets it outspeed and put Milotic to sleep, which is very nice.

:rs/armaldo:
Name of Pokémon: Armaldo
Typing: Rock/Bug
New Stats: 70/125/100/45/79/71 (Stats rearranged, +1 Spe, -1 SpD)
New Abilities: Swift Swim (Replaces Battle Armor)
New Moves: Rain Dance, Signal Beam
Why It Should Be Picked: Very simple change, but this thing with an actual Speed tier would be so nice. It can still do its very niche Rapid Spinning, Knock Offing, and wallbreaking it did before, but now it outspeeds Tyranitar, Claydol, and Metagross, which automatically makes Swords Dance and Banded sets way more threatening and lets it spin on more walls without having to take a hit first. Plus, with an actual Bug STAB move in Signal Beam, you get to run another Hidden Power, like Grass to chip Swampert. Also, with Swift Swim, you can use this on a Rain team or mess with TTar's Sand by setting up your own Rain on a Dual Dance set, I guess.

:rs/crawdaunt:
Name of Pokémon: Crawdaunt
Typing: Water/Dark
New Stats: 55/55/90/125/85/63 (Stats rearranged, +5 SpA)
New Abilities: Hyper Cutter / Shell Armor
New Moves: Hydro Pump, Agility
Why It Should Be Picked: Literally all Game Freak needed to do in Gen 3 to make this thing decent was swap its Attack and Special Attack before they released the game, but they didn't and this thing immediately dropped to NU. With it being tied for the 2nd highest Special Attack in the tier and a great offensive type combo in Water and Dark that threatens Tyranitar, Gengar, Celebi, Starmie, Aerodactyl, Gliscor, Jellicent, and Moltres, if it gets in, Crawdaunt will leave a dent in something. Agility also makes it a lot easier for it to put said dent in the opposing team. It's stonewalled by Blissey and even with improved 55/85 special bulk, its still quite frail, so it'll struggle to consistently get opportunities to run amok, but once it does, you'll have a lot of fun

Nerfs:

:rs/mr. mime:
Name of Pokémon: Mr. Mime
Change: Baton Pass removed
Why It Should Be Picked: Very simple, but yeah the only reasons why Mime is broken are Baton Pass and Soundproof, so one of them has to go. Removing BP is a bit more harsh, but it gets the job done. It can at least still be a pretty decent Baton Pass recipient since something bulky enough to take a hit from it can't phase it out

:rs/Ninjask:
Name of Pokémon: Ninjask
Change: Speed Boost replaced with Hyper Cutter
Why It Should Be Picked: Again, very simple, but Hyper Cutter is at least cool in that Salamence and Gyarados can't diminish its Swords Dance boosts before it Baton Passes out and makes the incredibly rare Offensive Swords Dance set a little more threatening

Last edited:
:rs/armaldo:
Name of Pokémon: Armaldo
Typing: Rock/Bug
New Stats: 70/125/100/45/79/71 (Stats rearranged, +1 Spe, -1 SpD)
New Abilities: Swift Swim (Replaces Battle Armor)
New Moves: Rain Dance, Signal Beam
Why It Should Be Picked: Very simple change, but this thing with an actual Speed tier would be so nice. It can still do its very niche Rapid Spinning, Knock Offing, and wallbreaking it did before, but now it outspeeds Tyranitar, Claydol, and Metagross, which automatically makes Swords Dance and Banded sets way more threatening and lets it spin on more walls without having to take a hit first. Plus, with an actual Bug STAB move in Signal Beam, you get to run another Hidden Power, like Grass to chip Swampert. Also, with Swift Swim, you can use this on a Rain team or mess with TTar's Sand by setting up your own Rain on a Dual Dance set, I guess.
Oh man, I was going to sub something like this. This is what Armaldo really needs to do well in OU. Now it could replace Kabutops on niche (niche) Rain teams as it’s overall just better.
I’ll be buffing Omastar and Kabutops (W.I.P.)

Atk/Def switched (125 Atk/60 Def)
+Earthquake
Omastar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 48 SpA / 208 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

+Earthquake, Signal Beam
Kabutops @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Signal Beam
- Brick Break

Last edited:

Name of Pokemon: Weezing
Typing: Poison
Stats: 75/110/120/105/50/60
Abilities: Levitate
Notable Moves:
Phy : Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Explosion,
Spec : Fire Blast, Flamethower, Hidden Power Grass, Thunder
Why It Should Be Picked: Weezing is a powerful mixed attacker that uses stab sludge bomb to scare blissy from swiching in. Sludge Bomb, Fire Blast and HP grass make for a goos attacking trio as Fire and Grass cover the Rock, Ground and Steel types that can swich in the Sludge Bomb. This gives it a lot of mixup options for the last slot like shadow ball for gengar and sp.def Jellicent, Thunder for phy.def Jellicent and to threaten paralysis on it's faster checks like Gengar and Fast Ttar, Wisp for Flygon, Non Pursuit Ttar and Mence, And Explosion for a big hit on anything that's not a Rock,Steel and Ghost type however Weezing tends to be checked by a lot of Rock,Steel and Ghost types. Weezing also has the decent defensive combo of Poison Typing + Levitate which let it check most fighters and grounds like Heracross, Flygon and Breloom. Weezing does have some downsides in that it's has a bad combo of low speed and sp.def so most special attackers can force it out and it's checked by some of the best pokemon in the tier like Ttar, Gengar, Jirachi and Blissey as well as lesser used mons like Flygon and Claydol. However these checks and counters can be overcome with spikes support, status and chip support or a well timed boom.
Set:
Weezing @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion / Thunder / Shadow Ball / Will-O-Wisp
I can provide calcs if needed.

Name of Pokemon: Dragonite
Typing: Dragonite
Stats: 111 / 134 / 105 / 65 / 99 / 86
Abilities: Inner Focus / Intimidate
Notable Moves:
Phy: HP flying, Earthquake, Focus Punch, Brick Break
Spec: Ice Beam, Thunder, Flamethower
Status: Dragon Dance, Heal Bell, Toxic, Sleep Talk, Roar, Wish
Why It Should Be Picked: Mence but with lower speed and sp.atk and it lacks rock slide but has focus punch meaning CB sets don't have to be paired with mag and much higher bulk so it lives pert Ice Beam without puting ev's in bulk unlike mence and checks fighters better. It also has Heal Bell and Wish so it can act as a offensive support mon

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
:swsh/cacturne:
Name of Pokemon: Cacturne
Typing: Grass / Dark
Stats: 80 / 115 / 80 / 125 / 60 / 65 (+20 Def, +10 HP/Sp.Atk/Spe, BST 475 > 525)
Abilities: Water Absorb / Sand Veil
Added Moves: Nasty Plot, Sludge Bomb, Synthesis, Trick

Why It Should Be Picked: With Jellicent shaping up to be a tough contender in the meta, I figure having some sort of reliable check to it is required, and Cacturne's a Pokémon that fits the main slate requirement, needs an ability shift, and is one of my Gen 3 'mons designwise, so here we are.

Stat changes: One of Cacturne's problems is that its bulk is... not all that good. A buff to HP and a larger one to defense makes it more able to reliably take a hit or two, even if it's still somewhat unfortunate. Speed and Special Attack also get a bit of nudges, but they don't make too much of a difference in the long one.

Move additions: I decided to keep new moves lowish as to not give it too many extra tools, being either backports (Nasty Plot and Synthesis), or replacements for other moves (Sludge Bomb and Trick for Poison Jab and Switcheroo, respectively). Nasty Plot lets it set up on unprepared teams or get benefit from potential speed passes, since Baton Pass isn't banned or anything in the Gen 3 meta.

Ability changes: Water Absorb became a legal ability for it in Gen 3, while also being around in Gen 3, so this is both an ability fix and one that's very easy to justify. Sand Veil is still kept but with the 'can't be used in format' thing, unless someone submits a change for the ability's effect that gets accepted.
Just 2 small things: Nasty Plot isn't in Gen 3 and isn't part of the mod (yet), so that will need to be removed. Also, the BST limit when boosting stats is 520, so you'll need to remove 5 points.

ViZar

your toast is burned
I decided to make small, but crucial changes.

:rs/Dusclops:
Name of Pokemon: Dusclops
New Stats: +25 HP
New Moves:
Brick Break
Bulk Up, Moonlight

Why It Should Be Picked: Dusclops suffers from low HP and reliable recovery and thus can't fullfil its primary role as a Ghost-type tank. Jellicent is a better wall and Genger is a better attacker, but Dusclops is now meant to be a set-up sweeper with unresisted moves in Shadow Ball and Brick Break with the addition of Bulk and either Substitute or Moonlight.

Dusclops @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Brick Break
- Substitute
- Bulk Up

:rs/slowbro::rs/slowking:
Name of Pokemon: Slowbro & Slowking
New Moves:
Slack Off

Why It Should Be Picked: The Slowtwins have a decent typing and good stats, however they suffer from not having reliable recovery. I thought about Slack Off, but I think that's too much. I gave them it to them anyway, but if it wins, I'll think about it more thoroughly. This gives them a niche above other Water-types since they resist Fighting and thus can stave off most Fighters.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 32 SpA / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 32 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

:rs/dragonite:
Name of Pokemon: Dragonite
New Moves:
Extreme Speed

Why It Should Be Picked: Dragonite had Extreme Speed in Gen 2, but it lost it in the transition to Gen 3. This makes it completely outclassed by Salamance, but thanks to its access to Extreme Speed again, Dragonite can run CB sets that Salamance can't replucate. Salamance might be faster and stronger on the special side, but Dragonite is bulkier (Intimidate only works on one foe for Salamance) and this gives it a decent niche.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Focus Punch

:rs/entei:
Name of Pokemon: Entei
New Stats: Switched Attack with Special Attack

Why It Should Be Picked: Entei failed into comparison with other Fire-types like Moltres, Charizard and Blaziken. The advantage it had over them was Calm Mind, but 90 base special attack isn't the best way to abuse it. With the buff, it won't need its physical attack anymore and fully concentrate on Substitute Calm Mind shenanigans.

Entei @ Leftovers
EVs: 132 HP / 200 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

:rs/girafarig:
Name of Pokemon: Girafarig
New Stats: +10 HP / +10 Atk / +15 Def / +15 SpD / +5 Spe
New Typing:

Why It Should Be Picked: Girafarig is a really underwhelming Pokémon, only being UU by usage. With better bulk and better offensive capabilites and a really good typing are enough to give it a niche as either a WishPasser or a CB attacker. It looses both the Fighting and Ghost weakness, making it a good check to both types.

Girafarig @ Choice Band
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

:rs/raikou:
Name of Pokemon: Raikou
New Moves:
Tail Glow

Why It Should Be Picked: Raikou has a lot of issues and isn't as consistant. Some of its issues are low damage output, even after a CM, and coverage problem between, HP Grass or HP Ice. Tail Glow gives it a better damage output and and makes the decision between both HPs easier since either way, you hit your target for good damage.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute
- Tail Glow

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Weezing

Name of Pokemon: Weezing
Typing: Poison
Stats: 95/110/120/105/70/60
Abilities: Levitate
Notable Moves:
Phy : Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Explosion,
Spec : Fire Blast, Flamethower, Hidden Power Grass, Thunder
Why It Should Be Picked: Weezing is a powerful mixed attacker that uses stab sludge bomb to scare blissy from swiching in. Sludge Bomb, Fire Blast and HP grass make for a goos attacking trio as Fire and Grass cover the Rock, Ground and Steel types that can swich in the Sludge Bomb. This gives it a lot of mixup options for the last slot like shadow ball for gengar and sp.def Jellicent, Thunder for phy.def Jellicent and to threaten paralysis on it's faster checks like Gengar and Fast Ttar, Wisp for Flygon, Non Pursuit Ttar and Mence, And Explosion for a big hit on anything that's not a Rock,Steel and Ghost type However Weezing tends to be checked by a lot of Rock,Steel and Ghost types. Weezing also has the decent defensive combo of Poison Typing + Levitate which let it check most fighters and grounds like Heracross, Flygon and Breloom. Weezing does have some downsides in that it's has a bad combo of low speed and sp.def so most special attackers can forse it out and it's checked by some of the best pokemon in the tier like Ttar, Gengar, Jirachi and Blissey as well as lesser used mons like Flygon and Claydol. However these checks and counters can be overcome with spikes support, status and chip support or a well timed boom.
Set:
Weezing @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion / Thunder / Shadow Ball / Will-O-Wisp
I can provide calcs if needed.
BST limit for increases is capped at 520. You will need to remove 40 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)