Pet Mod Hoenn Gaiden - Slate 14 (Return and Rework)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:regigigas::diancie::magearna::necrozma::urshifu:
Concept Name: Newer Gen Legends or Mythicals
Description: Some legends/myths provide some cool new ways to build teams.
Justification: Some legendaries provide some cool unique strategies. Regigigas would be decent in ADV with moves like Knock Off and Rest. Diancie and Magearna have a ton versatility. Necrozma has Photon Geyser which gives it a STAB move on physical and special sets. Both Urshifus have immense wallbreaking potential with their signature moves. Honorable Mentions go to the Tapus, which can be added to the game, but are hard to make unique from existing Pokemon.

:milotic::porygon2::gyarados::breloom::hariyama:
Concept Name: Buffs to fallen OU-viable Pokemon
Description: Some OU or UUBL Pokemon lost Viability with the new additions.
Justification: Buffs to Water-types like Cloyster and Slowbro hurt the viability of Milotic and Gyarados, while the latter alongside Breloom doesn't appreciate new Flying-types and Breloom doesn't enjoy Overcoat. Hariyama lost viability with many new Pokemon that can check Tyranitar and have Knock Off. Porygon2 struggles with the greater emphasis on offensive prowess. There are many more Pokemon, but these are the notable ones.

Last edited:
Concept Name: Devamped Gen 8 Pokemon :greedent::pincurchin::obstagoon:
Description: Devamping a Pokemon from Gen 8 into Gen 3 OU viability
Justification: Gen 8 currently has the least devamped mons with only one (Zarude), but the Gen offered a lot of unique ideas or gimmicks that, if implemented right, could be very interesting and plus they'd all get Hidden Power and Toxic, which makes some Gen 8 mons a lot better already

Concept Name: BL Knight (Buffed UUBL Pokemon) :zangoose::alakazam::raikou:
Description: Buffing a Pokemon that currently resides in Gen 3 UUBL to OU viability
Justification: Gen 3 UUBL is notoriously huge, to the point where it's it's own unofficial tier. There's a ton of interesting Pokemon stuck in BL for one reason or another and most only need some minor tweaks to become OU viable, as we've already seen from the now slightly better buffed Armaldo.

Concept Name: Viable NFE :scyther::type null::shelgon:
Description: Buffing a Not-Fully Evolved Pokemon to OU viability while differentiating it from its evolution so it's not outclassed
Justification: Since the Eviolite doesn't exist in this gen (not that we want Eviolite Chansey or Gligar to exist, please don't add Eviolite), no NFEs currently sniff OU viability, with the closest being Chansey, who would be amazing if Blissey didn't exist, and Type: Null, who can be a nasty wincon with Iron Defense and Swords Dance since it can't get crit but is just a worse CurseLax at the end of the day. Oh, and Clamperl sees minuscule use as a Baton Pass recipient, I guess. Thus, buffing an NFE could be interesting as not only would it add another viable Pokemon, it makes for an interesting challenge in that you have to consider that any moves you add to the NFE also get added to the final evolution, not to mention an inherent BST limit as prevos can only have the same or less BST than their evo, so you really have think about the changes you make. Also, fir the likes of Porygon2 and Magneton, if you add their evolutions without outclassing them, then technically you also created a viable NFE in the process, so that's an option as well

Concept Name: Special Nuke
:ss/blacephalon:
Description: A Pokémon who’s primary means of attacking is Special, but can explode. Gengar currently serves as bait for special walls so it can explode on them. This makes it a lot more threatening
Justification: Blissey is still extremely threatening to special attackers. This would help special offense

Concept Name: Limber Baton Pass Recipient
:ss/hawlucha:
Description: A Pokemon who receives a stat boost that can't be paralyzed
Justification: Baton Passing can be choreographed to the point where the pass can be predicted and the recipient is the target of a twave. Marowak is currently the only Pokémon that doesn’t have to worry about this, but it struggles with Skarm/Flygon. Another typing on a Baton Pass team immune to para would improve teambuilding

Concept Name: Galvanize/Refrigerate/Aerilate Explosion User
:ss/glalie-mega:
Description: A mon who can explode on ghosts
Justification: Currently the amount of viable ghost types in the metagame is making boom less viable. Jellicent would be hurt by Galvanize and Golurk by Refrigrate, and both by Aerilate. Bring back the boom

Concept Name: Vital Spirit Sleep Spam Counter
:ss/magmortar:
Description:
A counter to sleep spam (Breloom/Venusaur/Exeggutor)
Justification: Basically, sleep is something that some higher level players find unhealthy because it introduces an element of rng that isn’t welcomed. A Vital Spirit Flying or Fire type would help remedy this

Concept Name: Physical Chlorophyll Abuser
:ss/tangrowth:
Description: A mon that can sweep Physically with the Chlorophyll boost
Justification: Sun is an unusable playstyle thanks to the only Chlorophyll mons being the same underwhelming typing (besides Exeggutor, but running Sun strictly for it is unwise). Introducing a Chlorophyll physical attacker to complement exeggutor would allow teambuilding sun to be a lot more viable as they could take care of each other's checks and counters when they are walled

Concept Name: Bug Type Arena Trapper
:ss/dugtrio:
Description: Can trap and eliminate Celebi
Justification: Celebi is one of the most viable pokemon rn due to giga drain being buffed to 75 bp. Being able to threaten it with a strong physical attacker with trapping would surely balance it out

Concept Name: Offensive Fire type
:ss/infernape:
Description: A Fire type that can use Fire STAB without being that guy that's weak to ttar
Justification: All of the offensive Fire types currently get beat hard by ttar. Having one that can threaten it and still be threatening with Fire type moves would make a good addition to both sun teams and teams that hate toxic stall/toxic absorbers/metagross

Concept Name: Slow Extremespeed User
:ss/dragonite:
Description: A mon without access to agility/dd that can abuse extremespeed to finish off weakened opponents
Justification: Dragonite was always interesting to me in that it can simultaneously have a weak speed tier and a perfect one at the same time (without dragon dance). Having Extremespeed but being slow means your strategy is predictable, but it makes you a lot more threatening when the opponent is weakened

Concept Name: Dragon type Serene Grace Dragonbreath Paralyzer
:ss/flygon:
Description: One that can spread status through dragonbreath with decent spa
Justification: Jirachi spreads status through Thunder. The same could be done with Dragonbreath on a dragon type. But no headbutt or rock slide to go with it, of course. don't want later gen jirachi

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Would like to interupt subs for a moment. We have solidified buffs for Illumise and Tropius that I would like to share.

:tropius: Tropius is settling into more of a tank role. It is losing Chlorophyll and gaining Thick Fat in its place, while also gaining Recover and Refresh, and a bulk spread of 105/90/100. Its Grass/Dragon type with Thick Fat affords a lot of cool resistances that allow it contrast well with Celebi and Zarude as our tanky Grass types.

:illumise: Illumise is getting a bit of an overhaul. It is now going to have Volbeat's stat spread, but is losing Galvanize for Trace. It will change to pure Bug and gain many new moves: Signal Beam, Knock Off, Aromatherapy, Taunt and Destiny Bond. This turns it into a fast support mon that uses Trace to find its way into battle.

Subs can continue now.

Concept Name: Offensive Normal Type
Description: Exactly what it says on the tin.
Justification: While HG does have a fair amount of viable Normal-types, many of them share one aspect in particular; they’re passive. This is a shame, because they have the potential to be genuine threats with their expansive coverage and useful immunities to Ghost, which have seen a rise with the advent of Golurk and Girafarig.

Concept Name: Spinner That Beats Ghosts
Description: A Rapid Spin user that can beat Ghost-types.
Justification: Spinning has become harder with the addition of several Ghosts. A spinner that beats said Ghosts would be much welcomed.

Last edited:

Best Gal

once upon a time wont last forever
Concept Name: Devamp/Revamped Pokemon :unown-g: :unown: :unown-i: :unown-d: :unown-e: :unown-n:
Description: Introduce a mon from a later gen or buff a current one. This is left relatively vague on purpose.
Justification: First and second slate felt very wild-west to me, given that people could basically sub anything within reason. Lack of direction may be an issue given that, but if its only one sub on the slate out of however many concepts win, surely it could only be a good thing, right? Have fun with it, keep it classy!

Concept Name: Devamped Post-Gen III Dragon-Type :guzzlord: :druddigon: :dragalge: :turtonator: :goodra: :garchomp:
Description: A Dragon-Type Pokemon introduced in generations 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8, devamped to fit into Hoenn Gaiden.
Justification: Dragons are sparse in Gen III. You have Salamence, which is one of the most prepped-for threats in the metagame and arguably its most potent physical sweeper (with many other set options aside), as well as Flygon, a popular CB user and just generally cool fit. Other Dragons are notably absent, as Dragonite is largely outclassed by Mence, Kingdra is now mostly outclassed by Ludicolo thanks to buffed Giga Drain, the Latis are in Ubers, and Altaria is garbage. Tropius is notably buffed but its most recent changes aren't live yet so only time will tell.

Concept Name: Viable Bug-Type :galvantula: :buzzwole: :golisopod: :beedrill: :shuckle: :orbeetle:
Description: A viable Bug-Type Pokemon to use in the Hoenn Gaiden Metagame.
Justification: There are viable Bug-Types in Hoenn Gaiden, but there aren't enough. There will never be enough.
Bug meta.
Bug meta.
BUG META.
:ledian: :forretress: :volbeat: :illumise: :heracross: :armaldo:

Concept Name: A stealthy Rock :sudowoodo:
Description: A Rock-type you could describe as "stealthy" (so stealthy that it hides in the lower tiers- this could be a buff to shit-tier rock types, or any other way you can think to take this concept lol (thanks for the idea ema))
Justification: council is like "you're not allowed to submit stealth rock" and i'm defiant towards authority

Last edited:

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Concept Name: Top-Tier Sniper :tyranitar: :zapdos: :metagross:
Description: A Pokemon that has a favorable match-up against the highest ranked Pokemon on the ADV OU VR.
Justification: Despite all the things we (ot rather "you guys", I didn't really do anything lol) have added, Tyranitar, Zapdos, and Metagross, still reign supreme. Can adding a single Pokemon overturn their rule?

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Concept Name: More Specialized, Please :wigglytuff: :castform: :seviper: :swalot:
Description: A Pokémon that have potentials but is squandered by unfocused stat spread.
Justification: There are Pokémon out there that just don’t have any competitive place in ADV NU, or is barely useful in ADV NU, because of poor stat spread. Modifying their stat spread - and even raise BST if needed - will help them to perform their intended roles better.

Concept Name: Bad Typing Juggernaut :glastrier: :dustox: :solrock: :lunatone:
Description: A Pokémon that, despite having exceptional factors that will be overpowered if used by a Pokémon with a good typing in ADV OU, is kept in check by poor defensive typing.
Justification: Tyranitar managed to be king of ADV OU despite being slow and Rock / Dark being a bad defensive type, though for different reasons. A similar result can be achieved with a powerful stat spread or favorable Ability + movepool combination that would be broken on a Pokémon with a decent typing. Balance suggestions and calculations are strongly recommended here.

Concept Name: Suddenly Signature Move :glaceon: :scrafty: :samurott: :pincurchin:
Description: A Pokémon from a later Generation, whether or not they had a signature move in their introduction Generation, is introduced alongside a returning later Generation move exclusive to it in this Pet Mod (i.e. Glaceon comes with Ice Shard, and Ice Shard can only be used by Glaceon in “Gen 3”). Modification on the retroactively introduced later gen Pokémon is allowed to ensure viability.
Justification: Allows a later Gen Pokémon to shine with a compatible “exclusive” later Gen move, allowing them to stand out more from the crowd. They must use this move viably, but not exclusively.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Okay time is up!

We have some vetos first.
Concept Name: Dragon type Serene Grace Dragonbreath Paralyzer
:ss/flygon:
Description: One that can spread status through dragonbreath with decent spa
Justification: Jirachi spreads status through Thunder. The same could be done with Dragonbreath on a dragon type. But no headbutt or rock slide to go with it, of course. don't want later gen jirachi
TFW you tell someone on Discord not to do a concept because it's hax reliant AF and yet they do it anyway :facepalm:

:dusclops::gengar:
Concept Name: Defensive Spinblocker that isn"t affected by Sandstorm and Spikes
Description: A Pokemon that is imnune to the move Rapid Spin and isn't affected by Sandstorm and Spikes. Also is bulky.
Justfication: It would be cool to see a mon immune to Rapid Spin that isn't Dusclops (or you can buff Dusclops)
This would essentially require a Magic Guard Ghost, like Sableye, which has proven to have a centralizing hold on the meta, and we really don't want a second one.

:marshadow:
Concept Name: Viable Offensive Ghost/Fighting Type
Description: A mon that has gained the Ghost or Fighting type and use it for doing offensive damage.
Justification: A Ghost mon that can OHKO Ttar. Seriously a mon that uses his great STAB combination to sweep a huge portion of the metagame.
I know you're really into Sirsola but this isn't the meta where we need breakers with unresisted coverage.

Concept Name: Limber Baton Pass Recipient
:ss/hawlucha:
Description: A Pokemon who receives a stat boost that can't be paralyzed
Justification: Baton Passing can be choreographed to the point where the pass can be predicted and the recipient is the target of a twave. Marowak is currently the only Pokémon that doesn’t have to worry about this, but it struggles with Skarm/Flygon. Another typing on a Baton Pass team immune to para would improve teambuilding
Baton Pass is in a borderline centralizing state right now and we don't need to make it better.

Concept Name: Bug Type Arena Trapper
:ss/dugtrio:
Description: Can trap and eliminate Celebi
Justification: Celebi is one of the most viable pokemon rn due to giga drain being buffed to 75 bp. Being able to threaten it with a strong physical attacker with trapping would surely balance it out
Dugtrio can already do this, and this would remove Dugtrio's niche as Tyranitar is also weak to Bug. This is vetoed.

Concept Name:Offensive Fire type
:ss/infernape:
Description: A Fire type that can use Fire STAB without being that guy that's weak to ttar
Justification: All of the offensive Fire types currently get beat hard by ttar. Having one that can threaten it and still be threatening with Fire type moves would make a good addition to both sun teams and teams that hate toxic stall/toxic absorbers/metagross
Council has also decided to veto this one because it exists with most Fire-types in the meta (for example, Moltres can run HP Grass, Blaziken has Fighting STAB).

Concept Name: Illusion Tech :zoroark: :ninetales: :ninetales-alola: :mismagius: :grumpig::inteleon:
Description: Illusion in a generation without team preview has the potential to create extremely cool tech and potentially an Illusion team-stlye.
Justification: Illusion would be a really powerful viability in a generation without team preview, allowing for Pokemon who have it to see an increase in ability. In order for it to be balanced, you'd probably have to lower BST of Pokemon who get it(or give it to low BST Pokemon). It'd allow for really interesting teams centered around Illusion and Pokemon with type immunities. Illusion doesn't have wide distribution, so subs would be none-Zoroark/Zorua Pokemon that could have the ability thematically. Because there aren't Flying-types that could have Illusion make sense thematically, Spikes are a reliable way of wearing down an Illusion Pokemon throughout the game along with helping figure out the Illusion. The omnipresence of Sand and Hail are also helpful in solving the puzzle.
Illusion in a no team preview setting seems like it could get overwhelming fast, so we're going to veto it.

Voting is going to look a little different this time because we have a few 'non-Pokemon' subs. Here's how this will work:

We will be voting for all of our 'Pokemon-based' concepts as usual. Pick your favourite 6. You have 1 SV if you made 2 subs, and 2 SVs if you made 3 or 4, or 3 SVs if you made 5 or 6.

The 'non-Pokemon' concepts will be voted using a Yes/No vote, and any with a 50% approval rating will be done. Here is the template to add to your voting post.

Code:
[b]New Item:
New Ability:
New Move:
Suddenly Signature Move:[/b]
Lastly, our VR has been updated so please check post 3 in the thread if you wish to see it. It is no longer 'preliminary'!

Last edited:
1. Gen 8 Devamp (Cramorant)
2. SpD phazer
3. Extreme Speed User
4. New Viable Bug: (Golisopod)
5. Buff Flygon BL KNIGHT BUFF (flygon technician when)
6. Hail Abuser

New Item: yes
New Ability: yes
New Move: yes
Suddenly Signature Move: yes, if other pokemon can receive it later e.g. Sacred Fire Entei

Last edited:
Blegh. I have to do something extremely stupid tomorrow, so I figured I would get this out of the way now. Streamlined copy has been sent straight to Ema Skye via PM since I didn't want to clutter up the thread with my blathering anymore, though for the sake of transparency, I will put what I changed in greatly summarized form:

Excised almost all instances of "also" as well as title redundancies and the two asides. Made formatting more consistent where possible. Besides fixing typos, of which there were fewer of than I expected given my constant delirium, I finally caught about half a dozen errors on my part.

01. I somehow forgot the links to the winners' posts for everything after Slate 2. Go me.
02. Erroneously counted Leaf Guard as an ability Jumpluff lost when it doesn't have it yet due to being a Gen IV ability; I had also noted it lost Chlorophyll when it didn't.
03. Similarly, I erroneously counted Solar Power as an ability Tropius lost when it doesn't have it yet due to being a Gen IV ability; I had also noted it lost Chlorophyll when it hadn't yet before this most recent buff where it gained Thick Fact in place of it, which has similarly already been noted.
04. Noticed that I had accidentally used Volbeat's Gen VII and onward stats instead of its Gen III through Gen VI stats, meaning I counted its Def and SpD technically twice by amount. That has been fixed now. I'm embarrassed that might not have noticed if Illumise didn't also just get updated.
05. Finally noticed that ViZar had meant to give Girafarig the Synchronize ability over the Early Bird ability in Slate 2 given the former ability is what's used in the sample set. So that's finally counted in Slate 2 instead of in Slate 7 with the winning Double Buff that Best Gal submitted.
06. Finally (finally) checked to make sure Delibird, master of brokenness, got Milk Drink instead of Moonlight. Long may he reign.

That should be everything, but I doubtless missed something else knowing me.

Anyway, going to vote now and then finally sleep. Feel to discount my votes for the six non-miscellany ones if you need to break a tie though. You have my permission there.

01. Hail Abuser
02. Specially Defensive Phazer
03. Physical Chlorophyll Abuser
04. Offensive Normal Type
05. Spinner That Beats Ghosts
06. Devamped/Revamped Pokemon

New Item: Yes! Yes!
New Ability: Yes! Yes!
New Move: Yes! Yes!
Suddenly Signature Move: Yes! Yes!

[EDIT: Ugh. Typoed my second and sixth votes as "Specially Defense Phazer" and "Devamped/Revamped Pokemon" in my tiredness of copying things over. That's fixed now and a few minor changes were made to the clarification of "Transparency Mode" to be even clearer in synatx. That's all I've changed though. Going back to bed now. Evening/night.]

Last edited:

Best Gal

once upon a time wont last forever
:lapras: :dodrio: BL Knight :typhlosion: :articuno:
:dracozolt: :turtonator: Devamped Post Gen-III Dragon-Type :garchomp: :tyrantrum: (SV)
:infernape: :mienshao: Fast Fighting-Type :primeape: :machoke: yes i'm serious
:sandslash: :hitmontop: Rock Resist Spiker :chesnaught: :klefki:
:cacturne: :ninjask: Fallen OU-Viable Buff :gyarados: :venusaur:
:pinsir: :shuckle: Viable Bug :centiskorch: :volcarona: (SV)

New Item: yes
New Ability: yes
New Move: yes
Suddenly Signature Move: no

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)