Pet Mod Hoenn Gaiden - Slate 14 (Return and Rework)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rs/Delcatty:
Name of Pokemon: Delcatty
Typing: Normal
Stats: 100(+30)/70(+5)/80(+15)/55/55/105(+35) [BST: 465]
Abilities: Cute Charm/ Hustle
New Moves: Earthquake, Swords Dance
Why It Should Be Picked: Alright so uhh Delcatty isn't generally good, so what if it was? Now you might look at this thing and kind of scoff a bit since those stats by itself aren't really doing much but then you remember it has hustle, and with that it can hit things pretty hard. It's also pretty fast as well, making it a very potent sweeper under the right circumstances. Also due to its speed, access to baton pass, and wish it could be a cleric. It's HP isn't terrible.

Delcatty @ Choice Band
Ability:
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk/ 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD/ 31 Spe
- Return
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball

:rs/Azumarill:
Name of Pokemon: Azumarill
Typing: Water/Normal
Stats: The same
Abilities: The same
New Moves: Bulk Up
Why It Should Be Picked: If some of you remember, in the era long ago there were no fairy types. Most of the so called fairy pokemon were just normal. Yes this is why I'm adding the normal type to Azumarill. Also it now has a physical STAB to use huge power on. It has its fighting moves to deal with those pesky steel types, and really hidden power ghost is your best bet for ghost types. It does get bounce for fighting types if you want to use it but personally I think it should still have some checks.

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
:rs/jumpluff:
Name of Pokemon: Jumpluff
Typing: Grass/Flying
Stats: 85/55/80/85/105/110
Abilities: Cloud Nine
New Moves: Baton Pass, Rapid Spin
Why It Should Be Picked: Spikes and weather immune spinner with very good speed. It can also threaten jellicent with its grass stab. Fast powders can let it cripple opposing pokemons allowing its teammates to be more dangerous. It can also use Dry Pass as a way of pivoting after sleeping something. It's weak to a lot of moves but it's able to switch-into earthquakes and water moves and start doing its things. It's unlikely to survive for very long because its weak to many hidden powers, ice beams and rock slide meaning it's threatened by everything. Still, its speed and utility is incredible.

:rs/tropius:
Name of Pokemon: Tropius
New Typing: Grass/Dragon
Stats: 99/90 (+22)/83/85 (+13)/87/76 (+25)
New Ability: Natural Cure
Added Moves: Dragon Dance, Outrage, Rock Slide, Dragon Claw, Flamethrower, Calm Mind
Why It Should Be Picked: Tropius sucks. Like, really, really sucks. It’s weak, it’s slow, it’s typing is terrible both offensively and defensively and it has a rather poor movepool. Therefore, I decided to wipe the slate clean and to completely remake it. As you can see by those stats, Tropius is now Grass/Dragon, with a few new tools. First and foremost, the Dragon-typing turns Fire and Electric-type damage into neutral damage and a 4x resist respectively, granting it some defensive utility. It also lets Trop act as a Ttar check, which is always big for any mon in Gen 3. DDance & CM allow Tropius to act as a physical or special sweeper as well and totally not because I forgot that Dragon was a special attacking type while writing this. And finally, Natural Cure is nice so that Trop can act as a status absorber of sorts, and it’s a nice recipient of Baton Pass. These buffs also provide players a bulkier alternative to Breloom, the other offensive Grass-type. While Tropius still faces competition from Mence and Gyara and is weak without a boost, it’s much better than before.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
:rs/nidoking:
Name of Pokemon: Nidoking
Typing: Poison / Ground
Stats: 81/102/77/85/75/95 (+10 Atk, +10 Speed)
Abilities: Poison Point
New Moves: Superpower, Bulk Up
Why It Should Be Picked: Nidoking always was on the cusp of OU, but common weaknesses and not having just enough offensive oomph always held it back. Well now it got later Gen Additions in Superpower and +10 Atk, while getting new tools in Bulk Up and +10 Speed strengthen it's niche in OU.

:rs/sneasel:
Name of Pokemon: Sneasel
Typing: Dark / Ice
Stats: 55/65/55/95/75/115 (Swapped Atk and SpA, +30 to Atk)
Abilities: Keen Eye / Inner Focus
New Moves: N/A
Why It Should Be Picked: Sneasel goes from an unmon in OU to one of the most interesting Special Attackers in the tier, thanks to its new attacking bias. Being an Ice type that threatens Jellicent thanks to Dark STAB and being such a potent Pursuit user is enough to carve itself into top tier class in OU. Also gave it a slight Attack buff so a hypothetical Focus Punch set is not out of the question for TTar and Blissey.

:rs/ludicolo:
Name of Pokemon: Ludicolo
Typing: Water / Grass
Stats: 80/70/75/90/115/70 (+5 Def, +15 SpD)
Abilities: Rain Dish / Swift Swim
New Moves: Recover
Why It Should Be Picked:

Last edited:
:rs/ariados:
Name of Pokemon: Ariados
Typing:

Stats: 75 / 110 / 80 / 70 / 70 / 110 (+10 / +20 / +10 / +10 / +10 / +70) [520 BST]
Abilities: Intimidate / Swarm
New Moves:
- Signal Beam, Shadow Ball
-
- Spikes
Why It Should Be Picked:

:rs/chimecho:
Name of Pokemon: Chimecho
Typing:

Stats: 75 / 55 / 85 / 115 / 100 / 70 (+10 / +5 / +15 / +20 / +20 / +5) [520 BST]
Abilities: Levitate
New Moves:
- Iron Tail
- Thunderbolt, Thunder
-
Why It Should Be Picked:

will probably add reasonings later

Given there's already a bunch of a good pokemon entries in here, I'll just stick to suggesting three overhauls for the mechanics most people have skipped so far:

01. :mr_mime: Mr. Mime & Soundproof: Mr. Mime loses Soundproof for Limber (which might still be obnoxious, honestly, but isn't nearly as obnoxious), which seems like it still fits for a mime.

02. :ninjask: Ninjask & Speed Boost: Ninjask loses Speed Boost for Cacophony Swarm, which shouldn't cause problems given Bug is largely a meh attacking type like always, especially without U-Turn existing or Ninjask having access to Megahorn, and given Ninjask's overall frailty (and is definitely less problematic than my initial idea to give it Air Lock instead).

03. :sandslash: & :cacturne: Sandslash & Cacturne vs. Sand Veil: Given both Sandslash and Cacturne could only use boosts and given Dugtrio will never use Sand Veil over Arena Trap, I propose that Sand Veil essentially just become Immunity in Sand, i.e. it prevents the pokemon from being Poisoned at all in addition to ignoring Sandstorm damage. This might seem a bit underwhelming given that, well, Immunity already exists, but even now only three Pokemon have ever had the ability, and only two of them really use it, with one of them being Gligar, who lacks it this gen otherwise; additionally, any other and/or additional status immunity, like with "just" making it Leaf Guard for in Sand, would be hilariously broken.

Speaking of Gligar, unfortunately Gliscor exists now, so this probably helps it become more obnoxious, but Gliscor is naturally obnoxious anyway. This change at least wouldn't benefit its Baton Pass aspects unlike the default Sand Veil and at least this version of Gliscor lacks Roost. Yay?

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Well, I like badgers, they're my favorite animals, It is Linoone time

:rs/linoone:

Name of Pokemon: Linoone
Typing:Normal
Abilities:Pickup/Hyper Cutter
Stats:
HP:88(+10)
Atk:80(+10)
Def:71(+10)
Spa:60(+10)
SpD:71(+10)
Spe:100
BST:470

Added Moves:Earthquake
Description: This is an overall buff to the belly drum sweeper Linoone, its choice band set is also upgraded, and its sub salac thrash, it allows Linoone to do its intended roles way better, and now it doesn't have to rely on the vastly inferior HP Ground for its coverage for metagame staples such as TTar, Metagross and the Skarm Wrecker Magnemite. The ability it has gained also allows it to bypass intimidate from Gyarados and Salamence.

Last edited:

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Since I was the last one to Sub I'll vote first
I'm voting for
My Linoone
RoDG's Azumarill
G-Lukes Ludicolo and Nidoking
My Archenemy Mossy Sandwiches Jumpluff
And then ViZars Slowtwins

Nerfs
The Damned Mr Mime
The Damned Sand Veil
I don’t really like any of the nerfs provided for Ninjask so I will abstain as well from that vote

Last edited:
Buffs
Yoshiblaze's Armaldo

Vizar's Slowbro

Depressed Gay's Azumarill

iceblazer's Tropius

Petuuuhhh's Kabutops

Petuuuhhh's Omastar

Nerfs
The Damned's Sand Veil

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Oh, I should've specified.

6 regular subs, and then one each for each of the nerfs: Ninjask, Mr. Mime and Sand Veil. So it is 9 votes total, as we must have those three nerfs as part of the meta.

Petuuuhhh Paulluxx can you please edit your votes to reflect this. Sorry about that.

Buffs
Yoshiblaze's Armaldo
Yoshiblaze's Crawdaunt
G-Luke's Sneasel
ViZar's Entei
ViZar's Girafarig
A Golden Waddle Dee's Ariados

Nerfs
The Damned's Ninjask
Yoshiblaze's Mr. Mime
El Cadaver's Sand Veil

Last edited:
Buffs
Yoshiblaze's Armaldo
Yoshiblaze's Crawdaunt
G-Luke's Nidoking
Mossy Sandwich's Jumpluff
ViZar's Slowtwins
My Articuno (self vote, thinking it over just giving mold breaker to donphan should be enough for the most part whenever ability backporting happens)

Nerfs
I don't think Ninjask needs nerfs so i abstain from voting there
Yoshiblaze's Mr. Mime
My Sand Veil (self vote, just to make it clear i intend to have the sandstorm immunity + the defense buff sorry if i wasn't clear about that, if this ability change is not getting the sand veil immunity please vote for the damned's instead)

Many cool buffs this slate i would love to see repeated again the future but missed the cut, as a general rule of thumb i prefer subtler changes to pokemon over major overhauls but :tropius: gets a honorable mention, that one is so cool, :entei: sorry but i like articuno more.

Glad I actually took my time to vote given I thought we were just voting on only the Pokemon stuff first:

Non-Baton Pass, Non-Sand Veil Stuff:
01. Ema Skye's Ursaring
02. Yoshiblaze's Armaldo
03. Yoshiblaze's Crawdaunt
04. ViZar's Girafarig
05. Revenge of Depressed Gay's Azumarill
06. iceblazer's Tropius

Mr. Mime, Ninjask, and Sandslash & Cacturne against the music Sand Veil:
07. Yoshiblaze's subtraction of Baton Pass from Mr. Mime (if allowed)
08. Yoshiblaze's change of Ninjask's Speed Boost to Hyper Cutter
09. The Damned's Sand Veil change

1. Ema Skye’s Ledian :ledian:
2. Mossy Sandwich’s Jumpluff :jumpluff:
3. G-Luke’s Sneasel :sneasel:
4. Yoshiblaze’s Crawdaunt :crawdaunt:
5. ViZar’s Slowtwins :slowbro: :slowking:
6. ViZar’s Girafarig :girafarig:

Nerfs:

1. The Damned’s Ninjask :ninjask:
2. Yoshiblaze’s Mr. Mime :mr mime:
3. El Cadaver’s Sand Veil :sandslash: :cacturne::dugtrio: :gliscor:

Last edited:

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
  • Dodrio (Yoshiblaze)
  • Slowtwins (ViZar)
  • Girafarig (ViZar)
  • Donphan (El Cadaver)
  • Linoone (Paullux)
  • Delcatty (RoDG)

1. Sand Veil (El Cadaver)
  2. Mr Mime (Yoshiblaze)
  3. Ninjask (The Damned)

Buffs
Yoshiblaze's Armaldo
Yoshiblaze's Crawdaunt
Petuuuhh's Omastar
ViZar's Dusclops
ViZar's Girafarig
Iceblazer's Tropius

Nerfs
El Cadaver's Sand Veil
Yoshiblaze's Mr. Mime
Yoshiblaze's Shedinja

Ema Skye

Work!
I'm late closing the votes! Sorry.

I am mainly just breaking the ties. I am voting for Jumpluff and Damned (for Ninjask).

Our winning Pokemon are:
:rs/jumpluff:
Name of Pokemon: Jumpluff
Typing: Grass/Flying
Stats: 85/55/80/85/105/110
Abilities: Cloud Nine
New Moves: Baton Pass, Rapid Spin
Why It Should Be Picked: Spikes and weather immune spinner with very good speed. It can also threaten jellicent with its grass stab. Fast powders can let it cripple opposing pokemons allowing its teammates to be more dangerous. It can also use Dry Pass as a way of pivoting after sleeping something. It's weak to a lot of moves but it's able to switch-into earthquakes and water moves and start doing its things. It's unlikely to survive for very long because its weak to many hidden powers, ice beams and rock slide meaning it's threatened by everything. Still, its speed and utility is incredible.
:rs/tropius:
Name of Pokemon: Tropius
New Typing: Grass/Dragon
Stats: 99/90 (+22)/83/85 (+13)/87/76 (+25)
New Ability: Natural Cure
Added Moves: Dragon Dance, Outrage, Rock Slide, Dragon Claw, Flamethrower, Calm Mind
Why It Should Be Picked: Tropius sucks. Like, really, really sucks. It’s weak, it’s slow, it’s typing is terrible both offensively and defensively and it has a rather poor movepool. Therefore, I decided to wipe the slate clean and to completely remake it. As you can see by those stats, Tropius is now Grass/Dragon, with a few new tools. First and foremost, the Dragon-typing turns Fire and Electric-type damage into neutral damage and a 4x resist respectively, granting it some defensive utility. It also lets Trop act as a Ttar check, which is always big for any mon in Gen 3. DDance & CM allow Tropius to act as a physical or special sweeper as well and totally not because I forgot that Dragon was a special attacking type while writing this. And finally, Natural Cure is nice so that Trop can act as a status absorber of sorts, and it’s a nice recipient of Baton Pass. These buffs also provide players a bulkier alternative to Breloom, the other offensive Grass-type. While Tropius still faces competition from Mence and Gyara and is weak without a boost, it’s much better than before.
:rs/armaldo:
Name of Pokémon: Armaldo
Typing: Rock/Bug
New Stats: 70/125/100/45/79/71 (Stats rearranged, +1 Spe, -1 SpD)
New Abilities: Swift Swim (Replaces Battle Armor)
New Moves: Rain Dance, Signal Beam
Why It Should Be Picked: Very simple change, but this thing with an actual Speed tier would be so nice. It can still do its very niche Rapid Spinning, Knock Offing, and wallbreaking it did before, but now it outspeeds Tyranitar, Claydol, and Metagross, which automatically makes Swords Dance and Banded sets way more threatening and lets it spin on more walls without having to take a hit first. Plus, with an actual Bug STAB move in Signal Beam, you get to run another Hidden Power, like Grass to chip Swampert. Also, with Swift Swim, you can use this on a Rain team or mess with TTar's Sand by setting up your own Rain on a Dual Dance set, I guess.

:rs/crawdaunt:
Name of Pokémon: Crawdaunt
Typing: Water/Dark
New Stats: 55/55/90/125/85/63 (Stats rearranged, +5 SpA)
New Abilities: Hyper Cutter / Shell Armor
New Moves: Hydro Pump, Agility
Why It Should Be Picked: Literally all Game Freak needed to do in Gen 3 to make this thing decent was swap its Attack and Special Attack before they released the game, but they didn't and this thing immediately dropped to NU. With it being tied for the 2nd highest Special Attack in the tier and a great offensive type combo in Water and Dark that threatens Tyranitar, Gengar, Celebi, Starmie, Aerodactyl, Gliscor, Jellicent, and Moltres, if it gets in, Crawdaunt will leave a dent in something. Agility also makes it a lot easier for it to put said dent in the opposing team. It's stonewalled by Blissey and even with improved 55/85 special bulk, its still quite frail, so it'll struggle to consistently get opportunities to run amok, but once it does, you'll have a lot of fun
:rs/slowbro::rs/slowking:
Name of Pokemon: Slowbro & Slowking
New Moves:
Slack Off

Why It Should Be Picked: The Slowtwins have a decent typing and good stats, however they suffer from not having reliable recovery. I thought about Slack Off, but I think that's too much. I gave them it to them anyway, but if it wins, I'll think about it more thoroughly. This gives them a niche above other Water-types since they resist Fighting and thus can stave off most Fighters.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 32 SpA / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 32 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

:rs/girafarig:
Name of Pokemon: Girafarig
New Stats: +10 HP / +10 Atk / +15 Def / +15 SpD / +5 Spe
New Typing:

Why It Should Be Picked: Girafarig is a really underwhelming Pokémon, only being UU by usage. With better bulk and better offensive capabilites and a really good typing are enough to give it a niche as either a WishPasser or a CB attacker. It looses both the Fighting and Ghost weakness, making it a good check to both types.

Girafarig @ Choice Band
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
And the nerfs are as follows!
Given there's already a bunch of a good pokemon entries in here, I'll just stick to suggesting three overhauls for the mechanics most people have skipped so far:

01. :mr_mime: Mr. Mime & Soundproof: Mr. Mime loses Soundproof for Limber (which might still be obnoxious, honestly, but isn't nearly as obnoxious), which seems like it still fits for a mime.

02. :ninjask: Ninjask & Speed Boost: Ninjask loses Speed Boost for Cacophony Swarm, which shouldn't cause problems given Bug is largely a meh attacking type like always, especially without U-Turn existing or Ninjask having access to Megahorn, and given Ninjask's overall frailty (and is definitely less problematic than my initial idea to give it Air Lock instead).
New effect for sand veil: Pokemon's defense is 1.1x while under sandstorm
This has been further explained through Discord as also including the sand immunity.

Tagging ViZar for coding. We will have another discussion stage before starting the next slate, which will be for Gen 4-8 abilities!

Last edited:

ViZar

your toast is burned
Alright stuff has been coded. I'll get my thoughts in here.

First off, my last post didn't age well, so I'll talk about the last slate again and correct some statements.
Okay, let's talk about business. First thing I want to mention is that I'm not quite finished with coding, because of a lack of time. No worries, I'll work on it tomorrow.

Anyway, let's talk about the new mons. I'll be taking the VR from existing ADV into account when talking about these.

:ss/jellicent:
Jellicent is a great Pokémon and I think that's obvious. It has a really good typing, recovery and ability, which allows it to check Fighting- and some Fire-types, alongside the spinners Starmie, Claydol, Forretress, Cloyster and the new Cryogonal. Recover, Will-O-Wisp and Taunt are nice moves to have and Water Absorb makes it a hard counter to offensive Water-types. Despite its excellence it faces competition from Swampert and Milotic. Swampert doesn't have those 3 moves I mentioned and it can't block spin, but it is bulkier on the physical side without loosing much special bulk and it blocks Electric Moves. The crucial parts are its Sandstorm immunity and Rock resistence. Those traits allow it to check Metagross, Tyranitar, Aerodactyl and Salamance. Milotic is bulkier than Jellicent on both sides and it doesn't mind status much thanks to Marvel Scale and it can run Recover if the status becomes to much. An advantage that both have over Jellicent are their offensive presences. It doesn't mean that Jellicent is bad, it's really good. It's just that it faces competition from other Water-types that have unique advantages over it.
Easy A Rank

I think it works well on Spikes Teams (obviously) and thus Pokémon like Aerodactyl, Tyranitar, Moltres and Skarmory are great allies. The former three appreciating their checks getting worn down by Spikes (mainly Swampert) and the latter being the most common Spikes setter.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Protect
- Toxic

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 28 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

:ss/abomasnow:
Abomasnows niche is pretty clear. Messing with Tyranitars sand. This Pokémon summons hail and only it and Cloyster being the only OU mons that are viable and immune to Hail. Good thing it can't spam Blizzard, but it is still a stall machine with SubSeed and Giga Drain which only has the Hail niche going for it. Like yeah, it is annoying, but it is hit super effectively by almost every Pokémon. The thing is, it interrupts Tyranitars sand, but it can't 1v1 it. Also it competes with Celebi and Breloom as a Grass-type. Celebi has Baton Pass and Calm Mind with great stats and a great ability, while Breloom has Spore and an immense Damage-Output. It has a place in the Meta, but I honestly don't think it has a great niche.
Probably C1 Rank

It's difficult to say what works well with it since everything besides itself and other Ice-types get worn down and stacking Hail immune Pokémon isn't the greatest idea. A good partner might be Dugtrio since it removes Tyranitar.
Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 132 SpA / 60 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Magneton @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic
- Substitute

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Cloyster @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
- Drill Peck
- Roar
- Toxic
- Protect

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]

:ss/silvally:
This Pokémon is pretty cool ngl. In general, Silvally has solid stats and some good coverage options, eventhough its decent at best movepool got worse. Since there are so many forms, I will go through them quickly:
  • Outclassed by Heracross. Heracross has Megahorn, Fighting STAB and a stronger Rock Slide for Flying-types. F Rank
  • Outclassed by Tyranitar. Tyranitar is unpredictable, strong and effective at it. E Rank
  • That's some good shit. There are no special Dragons outside of Kingdra, but Dragally has better stats and coverage. B2 Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Electric-types. It's the weakest of them all and it isn't worth using. F Rank
  • This one actually cool. It faces competition from Machamp and Heracross, but Multi-Attack, Shadow Ball and SD is great to have. C1 Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Fire-types. All the other Fires have an advantage over it while this has nothing going for it. F Rank
  • Spikes immune and good Flying STAB without using HP. I really like this honestly. B2 Rank
  • Kinda outclassed. It has Multi-Attack for STAB, but that's honeslty all it has. SD + Rock Slide and Explosion is cool though. C2 Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Grass-types. Celebi is just better and Breloom has Spore + Focus Punch. F Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Ground-types. It doesn't have EQ plus competing with Gliscor and Swampert isn't really great. E Rank
  • Outclassed by Regice, who is BL. F Rank
  • The base form is great. With Return, Shadow Ball, Explosion and SD for Leftovers sets and Rock Slide for CB sets. I really like this. A Rank
  • No. F Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Psychic-types. Celebi (see Grass), Jirachi and Metagross are just better. F Rank
  • Outclassed by Regirock, who is BL. F Rank
  • Outclassed by Registeel who is BL. F Rank
  • Outclassed by all viable Water-types. Why use this over Suicune, Swampert, Jellicent, Milotic, Gyarados and Starmie. Why? F Rank
No Sample Teams, since there are many and I don't want to invest 2 hours for each type.

:ss/eelektross::ss/gliscor::ss/cryogonal:
The last three winners are my subs and if you want more insight, look here.

Here are some thoughts that came up:
:eelektross: Really cool and my favorite submission of mine. I really look forward to it. B2 Rank

:gliscor: I didn't consider Baton Pass on Gliscor and that's an issue. B1 Rank

:cryogonal: I don't get how it won. It could've had a niche, but Jellicent kills it. Kinda blows. F Rank

This is it from me. I'll get to bed now and tomorrow I'll code these Pokémon.
Cya!

:ss/jumpluff:
Okay so, I hate this thing. It has a niche as a fast sleep inducer and SubSeeder, however now, it can pass the SubSeed, spin and be immune to Sand. I see this as Gimmick, but even more viable than it was before. Time to run Aero with taunt now.
Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

:ss/tropius:
Let me honest here, I don't see it being used much. It's in an akward spot right now, where it is outclassed by Celebi as a Calm Mind sweeper and by Salamance as a Dragon Dance sweeper. It is kind of like a mixture between those two. I can see it being used and I will absolutely experiment with it, but there's practically no reason to use it over Celebi or Salamance.
Tropius @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 16 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Dance

Tropius @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 40 HP / 4 Def / 232 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind

:ss/armaldo:
Before we start, can we appreciate the fact that Yoshi took away its only OU viable niche and replaced with a completely different one? Love it. Anyways, it has the same niche as in Gen 5 NU, where it was a rain sweeper that provides Knock Off, Rapid Spin and the ability to beat Grass- and Flying-types. I can definitively see it being used and it boosts the viability of Rain teams.
Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Signal Beam
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

:ss/Crawdaunt:
This Pokémon has the highest damage output from any Water-type and thanks to Agility, it can sweep any team. Water and Dark are usually enough as attacking moves, but Ice Beam or any HP can help here. It definitively appreciates Spikes and Dugtrio support, since Blissey is a big issue for it, but you can work around it.
Crawdaunt @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Agility

:ss/slowbro::ss/slowking:
The twins are in a similiar position as Tropius, where they compete with two of the best Pokémon. However, unlike Tropius they aren't outclassed and have some advantages over Swampert and Jellicent. Slowbro has the physical bulk of Swamper with the recovery of Jellicent, while Slowking has the special bulk from Jellicent with the offensive prowess of Swampert. The thing that seperates their competition is their movepool. They have so many options. From Flamethrower, Calm Mind, Psychic, Thunder Wave to many more.
Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 32 SpA / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 32 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

:ss/girafarig:
Girafarig has a unique typing now and can be played either offensively or defensively. The CB utilises its STAB combination with fantastic coverage in EQ and HP Fighting. Its defensive sets only have one weakness and decent all around bulk, alongside WishProtect and Baton Pass. Girafarig can also be played with a Baton Pass and as a CM sweeper due to its coverage.
Girafarig @ Choice Band
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Girafarig @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Protect

:ss/mr-mime:
Mr. Mime lost its niche in OU. The only reason to use it, was only because of Soundproof blocking Roar and keeping the chain. It adds nothing to Pass Teams anymore. However, if you want to use, just don't.
Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 HP / 60 SpA / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

:ss/gliscor::ss/sandslash::ss/cacturne:
So Sand Veil is competitive now. These Pokémon have a permant boost to their defense now and provide unique new niches for the Pokémon. Except Gliscor, it's just bulkier now, but not by much. Sandslash is a decent Rapid Spinner, but the Defense boost, while not big, gives it a bit more longevitv. Cacturne is a Stalling option on Sand now, thanks to its immunity to Sand, Leech Seed and Spikes.
Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 44 SpD / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Protect

Sandslash @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Cacturne @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 SpA / 224 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

:ss/ninjask:
Ninjask has lost a niche to get a new one. Albeit inferior to Heracross, but Ninjas is the fastest OU usable Pokémon and with Swarm, Liechi Berry and SD, it can deal quite some damage with Silver Wind, with the added bonus of an omni-boost. It is hard walled by Skarm though, so Magneton is necessary.
Ninjask @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Silver Wind
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Okay, so let me talk about the winners from last slate again and clarify some things.
:ss/jellicent:
Jellicent is really good. Ghost-typing, Recover, Will-O-Wisp and Taunt are fantastic, but after playing some regular ADV on PS, I realised that it isn't that good. Swampert is a better defensive Water-type, thanks to its superior physical bulk, offensive prowess and Rock resistence. Those traits make it better as a wall against physical attackers. I'm not saying that Jelli is bad. It's good, but it isn't on the same level as Swampert anymore.

:ss/abomasnow:
Hail is better than I thought. I still don't think that Abomasnow is really that good, but chipping Ground-, Rock- and Steel-types is valuable on its own. Swampert is prefered over other Water-types due to its Sand immunity, thus allowing to heal in Sand. This gets nullified in Hail, which is really good to have. Abomasnow is the face of TSH (Toxic, Spikes, Hail) of some sorts.

:ss/silvally:
I still think that Bug is outclassed by Heracross, but it has some advantages. Higher Bulk, Mixed offensive spread and coverage make it stand out.
Same as Bug here. Still outclassed by Ttar, but its Speed and coverage makes it worth using.
Okay so, I said Eelektross is good since you don't have to choose between HP Grass or Ice. This is the same, but Ice Beam and HP Grass are a stronger combination than Giga Drain and HP Ice. This trait makes it worth using.
This is a Fire-type that doesn't need HP Grass for Water-types, except for Swampert, since it has Thunderbolt and it isn't walled by Ice Beam.
Nothing to change here, still sucks.
Mixed offenses and Coverage make it worth using as an offensive Ground.
Same as Electric and Fire. The coverage makes it worth using.
Worse than Grass.
Psychic-type that doesn't need HP Fire and thus can run a different HP.
Better than Grass, but still not great.
This is restricted to a tank set with RestTalk and Toxic.
Good Typ, but better competition.

Really excited to play the metagame after these changes. I look forward to it.

ViZar

your toast is burned
Epic, double post

Slate 3:
Reintroducing Abilities!

Stage 1:
In this slate, you can submit up to 6 abilities from Gen 4-8 and suggest some possible users. Even if they don't get the ability usually. The submission phase will last 3 days and after that we will get to...

Stage 2:
In the second stage, we will vote on which abilities we will add and which will get them.

Here's a template, if you want one.
Code:
[B]Ability Name[/B]:
[B]Generation[/B]:
[B]Effect[/B]:
[B]Potential User's[/B]:
[B]Description[/B]:

Happy Submitting!

Ability Name: Technician
Generation: 4
Effect: Boosts the power of moves under 60 BP by 1.5x
Potential User's: Scyther, Scizor, Persian, Hitmonlee, Shiftry, Fearow
Description: Technician can be interesting in Gen 3, since a lot of the moves that are typically used/wanted by Technician users in later gens, like Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, Dual Wingbeat, good multi-hit moves, and Hidden Power either don't exist or, in Hidden Power's case, is too strong (unless you purposely use lower IVs to get it to 60 BP, but I don't think that would ever be worth it), but there's still a lot of cool moves that Technician can boost, especially since moves work generally weaker in Gen 3. Metal Claw for Scizor, Silver Wind for Scyther/Scizor, Aerial Ace for Fearow/Scyther, Mach Punch and Double Kick for Hitmonlee, Giga Drain and Faint Attack for Shifty and oh, Persian's there too I guess

Ability Name: Ice Body
Generation: 4
Effect: If Hail is active, this Pokemon heals 1/16 of its max HP each turn; immunity to Hail
Potential User's: Walrein, Dewgong, Glalie, Cryogonal
Description: Oh, you thought you could escape the wrath of Stallrein just because you're in Gen 3? Foolish. In seriousness, this gives people a lot more reason to use Hail as now you can pair Abomasnow with Walrein or Glalie and recreate the infamous Stallrein teams of Gen 4 UU and Gen 5 UU/RU. It's probably worse in this meta as Tyranitar is the best Pokemon in the meta, the only hazard is Spikes so no Toxic Spikes to accelerate the chip damage, and everything and their mom carries Rock Slide or HP Fighting, so it's a bit harder to get set up, but if you can get it going, you'll have some fun. Also, this is much better than adding Slush Rush and breaking something

Ability Name: Galvanize
Generation: 7
Effect: Turns Normal-type moves into Electric-type moves and boosts their power by 1.2x
Potential User's: Plusle, Minun, Ampharos, Volbeat, Ilumise
Description: With Jolteon and Zapdos being everything you can ask for in an early Gen Electric-type, lower tier Electrics need something to set them a part a little bit. With Galvanize, something like Plusle can get looked at as now it has a nightmarishly powerful Galvanize-boosted Double-Edge that literally 2HKOs Tyranitar and Metagross, plus a neat priority option in Quick Attack to pick off weakened foes. Ampharos can similarly use it as a slow, bruising wallbreaker with a Double-Edge that nothing wants to switch into. There's also Illumise, who still sucks, but can at least use Galvanize Double-Edge as a coverage move alongside Ice Punch, HP Fire, and Giga Drain

Ability Name: Harvest
Generation: 5
Effect: If last item used is a Berry, 50% chance to restore it each end of turn. 100% in Sun.
Potential User's: Exeggutor, Victreebel, Linoone, Meganium
Description: In a generation where the only viable items are Leftovers, Choice Band, and berries and a generation where Knock Off is good but not that common, a berry-based ability can be extremely interesting. With Harvest, a defensive Pokemon like Meganium can constantly regain their Sitrus Berry to give itself a more consistent recovery than Synthesis in Sand, while offensive Pokemon like Victreebel or Linoone can use it to build up multiple Attack, Special Attack, or Speed boosts at low HP after setting up. Also, gives you a slight reason to use Sun in a more passive way than trying to sweep with Chlorophyll users

Ability Name: Protean
Generation: 6
Effect: Before dealing damage, this Pokemon changes to the type of its used move
Potential User's: Kecleon, Unown, Octillery
Description: This 1000% just a ploy to give Kecleon any semblance of viability at all, just please let it happen

Ability Name: Dauntless Shield
Generation: 8
Effect: This Pokemon's Defense is boosted by 1 stage on switch-in
Potential User's: Lickitung, Shelgon, Vileplume, Nosepass, Pelipper
Description: With Choice Band being the only good damage boosting item, physical attackers predictably dominate Gen 3, so a Pokemon with Intimidate but always active (barring a random Defense drop) can be game-changing. Similar to Fur Coat, which has also been subbed, but it can be given to already bulky Pokemon like Pelipper, Vileplume, and Shelgon and gives them a good niche without breaking them, Vileplume in particular having a great niche over Celebi, Tropius, and Venusaur by being able to take on more physical attackers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)