ORAS UU Homogenous Differential Equations (Peaked #105 on Ladder and Still Climbing)

This one's of the second-order.

HOMOGENOUS DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS

I'm eaglehawk. I never do RMTs because I never have the time. However, I am mildly buzzed from a nice Manhattan rooftop lemonade, so I have the time. The title has nothing to do with this team, or anything Pokemon-related for that matter. Homogenous DiffEQs are just beautiful things, don't you agree?

I also decided to take a suspect test seriously for once, so I built a team to ladder with. Because I am really bad at Pokemon, I decided to use Dual Screen Offense, the single-most dumbest playstyle in the world. It's "easy" to use and really drives home King UU's maxim: "Stealth Rock wasn't a necessity in Gen V".

For me, I find these teams quite simple to build mostly because they follow a format of 2 wallbreakers, 1-2 hybrid wallbreakers/sweepers (think Double Dance), and one dedicated sweeper, with some give or take in some areas. Usually they allow me to build decently strong teams (such as one that I built with Klefki and CM + RP Mega Diancie).

This team went through multiple iterations. It originally started out with Hogg's team with Azelf over Aero and Kingdra over Pert:

Azelf / Gyara / Mence / Infernape / Lucario / Kingdra

It worked for a while, then it sucked. I scrapped it and built this team (I'll elaborate on member selection later). Before you dismiss this as a bad RMT (which you rightfully should), I got to a pretty high place with this team on suspect ladder:

Time to talk about the team. NOTE: Because I hate writing long sentences, I will be bullet-pointing from most of this point onwards.

Team

Azelf @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Explosion

Azelf is probably the best Dual Screen setter in all of League of Legends at the moment. Arguments could be made for Espeon or Uxie, but I personally think that Azelf is the only one that can guarantee screens setup 95% of the time.

• EVs
    • No attacks outside of Explosion (which hits hard on its own), so EVs to increase durability
    • 252 Speed with a positive nature outspeeds most common leads in UU. Also allows me to stop Galvantulas whose Webs can severely fuck up my team.
  • Moves
    • Reflect and Light Screen are bread and butter. Also makes Azelf temporarily fat.
      • 252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Azelf through Light Screen: 160-190 (45.3 - 53.8%) -- 43% chance to 2HKO
      • 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill U-turn vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Azelf through Reflect: 228-270 (64.5 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • Taunt stops Sticky Webs and Rocks from going up. Requires some prediction, but Azelf's bulk allows me some leeway in case of a mistake. I sometimes will let Rocks set even though I have 3 Rock-weak mons. Reflect and Light Screen allows for these Pokemon to take hits better even with 1/4 HP lost.
    • Explosion is for momentum. Still hits hard with 8 Attack EVs. Will usually use this against frailer teams (i.e. Offense or teams without Suicune/Cress/MAggron).
  • Tips
    • Sacking Azelf depends on the team matchup. Explosion on Azelf after setting Screens is optimal against Offensive teams, since massive damage + momentum is really good for this team.
    • Against balance or stall, better to withdraw than sack (unless it dies naturally). Can be recycled for new screens and to soften defensive targets that have already taken significant damage (mid-game) or nuke a balance team's limited offensive resources

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Iron Tail

Salamence is by far the best offensive Pokemon in the tier. The Dragon Dance set is just savage to play with and against as cleaner that can begin tearing through teams around mid-game given the right matchups.

• Item: Lum Berry allows it to set up against some known status abusers as well as cure Outrage confusion (which btw should be banned according to some people in Policy Discussion because Outrage causes 100% confusion durr).
  • Moves:
    • Pretty standard. No Fire Blast because I already have team members that shred most fat Steels.
    • Originally ran Outrage. Didn't like that there were certain matchups where I was locked into Outrage and couldn't pick better option. Anecdote: I thought I could sweep with a +2 Outrage Mence. Fucking fat-ass Nidoqueen survives and KOs with Ice Beam.
    • Some may say DClaw is weak. I just point them to Gyarados whose good STAB has 80 BP like DClaw, and it's a good DD mon in the tier.
    • Iron Tail because Sylveon's an ass.
  • Tips
    • Optimally save for late game (when opponent has 2-3 Pokemon left). If you see dank set up opp that can lead to snowballing (which isn't hard), go ahead.
    • But yeah, Mence really sucks in early game (unless against really bad team).

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt

Celebi is just a good Pokemon all around. Swords Dance is a surprisingly good set that nobody expects. It provides the team with a "pivot", which this team really doesn't even need in the first place, and a way to punch through Bulky waters and fat Fighting types. Best lure for Chandelure with Sucker Punch.

• Items: Life Orb just maximizes damage while still keeping move-switching abilities. If you like NU or PU over UU, you can use Colbur Berry to say no to Knock Offs.
  • Moves:
    • Seed Bomb and Zen Headbutt are main STABs. Can opt for something that nukes Steels if you want to.
    • Sucker Punch is good priority. +2 Sucker Punch takes out a lot of the faster, frailer threats in the tier. Also, Chandelure thinks you're EZ kill. You're not.
    • TBH, SD Celebi is kind of customizable. Kinda limited in offensive options, but nonetheless effective. If you seem to have Celebi switch into a lot of Scalds, Facade > Zen Headbutt could be worthwhile.
  • Tips:
    • If you see a fat Steel, save Celebi for when the Steel type is dead (your team can deal with that)

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

On any other team, Cloyster would suck because of its limited set-up opportunities and low interplay with other team members. On a team that has low interplay and safe set-up opportunities, Cloyster tears the entire tier a new one (think Swampert on steroids).

• Items: Some may prefer White Herb (to get more boosts or something), but I kind of like King's Rock. King's Rock gives Spear and Rock blast 50% flinch rate, which is sometimes just enough to BS your way past mons such as Cresselia or Suicune.
  • Moves: Hydro Pump allows for Cloyster to break past Steel-types, which are usually Physically Defensive. Besides, +2/+2 mixed Sweeper is fucking terrifying. Can also run Ice Shard here for emergency RK against Mence, Drei, or MAero.
  • Tips:
    • Any time's a good time for Cloyster (kind of).
    • Against Offense or some forms of balance, try to get it in on a Physical attacker under screens (note the 180 Defense). Cloyster kills offense teams dead.
    • Against bulkier teams, leave Cloyster on the back burner and treat it as your sweeper/cleaner

oops sorry about size

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flame Charge

Every offense team knows that Sableye is a pain in the ass, especially for Dual Screens. Sableye can single-handedly shut down Dual Screens teams from the start with Prankster Taunts, WoWs, and whatnot. Thankfully, Houndoom's a big "fuck you" to that.
  • Moves:
    • I've worked with former UU TL Psychotic on this type of playstyle, and one thing we both agreed on is that a set-up sweeper for Dual Screens must either have the following:
      • Move that boosts offensive stat and Speed (i.e. Quiver Dance)
      • Move that boosts offensive stat + access to priority (i.e. Crawdaunt)
      • Move that boosts offensive stat + access to Speed Boost (i.e. Combusken, Ninjask)
      • Move that boosts offensive stat + move that boosts Speed (i.e. RP + SD Terrakion)
    • Houndoom does this to some degree. Against fat teams, Nasty Plot to heart's content. If Houndoom is still alive towards mid- to late-game, Flame Charge and sweep.
    • Boosting both is kind of ballsy but still possible. Makes it hard to stop.
  • Tips:
    • Houndoom is best as a Houndoom or Chandelure switch-in. Both mons give it free set-up opportunities.
    • Find a way to get this thing out early if you think Steel-types will be a big problem (i.e. Escavalier)

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Despite the balls-to-the-walls, stat-boosting playstyle, sometimes strong cores are hard to break, such as Fairy-Steel-Water. The biggest culprit are fat waters such as Suicune, Alomomola, or Blissey. Toxicroak capitalizes on this and goes to town against them.
  • Moves
    • Really Standard fare.
  • Tips
    • Send Toxicroak in on a Fat water type, like Milotic and Suicune, and proceed to set-up. Traditional defensive team members to Water types, such as Grass, Fairy, and Steel, will not like Toxicroak's STAB options.
CONCLUSION

Thus ends my team. It was fun to play with, and hopefully you all have fun with it. A few notes:

DON'T SET-UP IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO. Don't get all cocky-like and say "oh this Cress is at 20%. I can easily kill with Seed Bomb, but let me set-up anyway". Make the safe plays. Offensive playstyle logic should not be thrown out the window just because Screens exist. They give you more set-up opportunities, but remember: not every opportunity is a set-up opportunity.

Also, this team involves a lot of sacking. Know which mons to sacrifice to make for the better play.

I would also like to thank all of UU community for existing. Y'all are chill as fuck.

Importable:

Azelf @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Explosion

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Tail

Celebi @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flame Charge

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Don't forget to put suggestions. I'm open to all suggestions and would greatly appreciate constructive feedback, even if my team is retired.

This one's of the second-order.

HOMOGENOUS DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS

I'm eaglehawk. I never do RMTs because I never have the time. However, I am mildly buzzed from a nice Manhattan rooftop lemonade, so I have the time. The title has nothing to do with this team, or anything Pokemon-related for that matter. Homogenous DiffEQs are just beautiful things, don't you agree?

I also decided to take a suspect test seriously for once, so I built a team to ladder with. Because I am really bad at Pokemon, I decided to use Dual Screen Offense, the single-most dumbest playstyle in the world. It's "easy" to use and really drives home King UU's maxim: "Stealth Rock wasn't a necessity in Gen V".

For me, I find these teams quite simple to build mostly because they follow a format of 2 wallbreakers, 1-2 hybrid wallbreakers/sweepers (think Double Dance), and one dedicated sweeper, with some give or take in some areas. Usually they allow me to build decently strong teams (such as one that I built with Klefki and CM + RP Mega Diancie).

This team went through multiple iterations. It originally started out with Hogg's team with Azelf over Aero and Kingdra over Pert:

Azelf / Gyara / Mence / Infernape / Lucario / Kingdra

It worked for a while, then it sucked. I scrapped it and built this team (I'll elaborate on member selection later). Before you dismiss this as a bad RMT (which you rightfully should), I got to a pretty high place with this team on suspect ladder:

Time to talk about the team. NOTE: Because I hate writing long sentences, I will be bullet-pointing from most of this point onwards.

Team

Azelf @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Explosion

Azelf is probably the best Dual Screen setter in all of League of Legends at the moment. Arguments could be made for Espeon or Uxie, but I personally think that Azelf is the only one that can guarantee screens setup 95% of the time.

• EVs
    • No attacks outside of Explosion (which hits hard on its own), so EVs to increase durability
    • 252 Speed with a positive nature outspeeds most common leads in UU. Also allows me to stop Galvantulas whose Webs can severely fuck up my team.
  • Moves
    • Reflect and Light Screen are bread and butter. Also makes Azelf temporarily fat.
      • 252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Azelf through Light Screen: 160-190 (45.3 - 53.8%) -- 43% chance to 2HKO
      • 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill U-turn vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Azelf through Reflect: 228-270 (64.5 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • Taunt stops Sticky Webs and Rocks from going up. Requires some prediction, but Azelf's bulk allows me some leeway in case of a mistake. I sometimes will let Rocks set even though I have 3 Rock-weak mons. Reflect and Light Screen allows for these Pokemon to take hits better even with 1/4 HP lost.
    • Explosion is for momentum. Still hits hard with 8 Attack EVs. Will usually use this against frailer teams (i.e. Offense or teams without Suicune/Cress/MAggron).
  • Tips
    • Sacking Azelf depends on the team matchup. Explosion on Azelf after setting Screens is optimal against Offensive teams, since massive damage + momentum is really good for this team.
    • Against balance or stall, better to withdraw than sack (unless it dies naturally). Can be recycled for new screens and to soften defensive targets that have already taken significant damage (mid-game) or nuke a balance team's limited offensive resources

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Iron Tail

Salamence is by far the best offensive Pokemon in the tier. The Dragon Dance set is just savage to play with and against as cleaner that can begin tearing through teams around mid-game given the right matchups.

• Item: Lum Berry allows it to set up against some known status abusers as well as cure Outrage confusion (which btw should be banned according to some people in Policy Discussion because Outrage causes 100% confusion durr).
  • Moves:
    • Pretty standard. No Fire Blast because I already have team members that shred most fat Steels.
    • Originally ran Outrage. Didn't like that there were certain matchups where I was locked into Outrage and couldn't pick better option. Anecdote: I thought I could sweep with a +2 Outrage Mence. Fucking fat-ass Nidoqueen survives and KOs with Ice Beam.
    • Some may say DClaw is weak. I just point them to Gyarados whose good STAB has 80 BP like DClaw, and it's a good DD mon in the tier.
    • Iron Tail because Sylveon's an ass.
  • Tips
    • Optimally save for late game (when opponent has 2-3 Pokemon left). If you see dank set up opp that can lead to snowballing (which isn't hard), go ahead.
    • But yeah, Mence really sucks in early game (unless against really bad team).

Celebi @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt

Celebi is just a good Pokemon all around. Swords Dance is a surprisingly good set that nobody expects. It provides the team with a "pivot", which this team really doesn't even need in the first place, and a way to punch through Bulky waters and fat Fighting types. Best lure for Chandelure with Sucker Punch.

• Items: Life Orb just maximizes damage while still keeping move-switching abilities. If you like NU or PU over UU, you can use Colbur Berry to say no to Knock Offs.
  • Moves:
    • Seed Bomb and Zen Headbutt are main STABs. Can opt for something that nukes Steels if you want to.
    • Sucker Punch is good priority. +2 Sucker Punch takes out a lot of the faster, frailer threats in the tier. Also, Chandelure thinks you're EZ kill. You're not.
    • TBH, SD Celebi is kind of customizable. Kinda limited in offensive options, but nonetheless effective. If you seem to have Celebi switch into a lot of Scalds, Facade > Zen Headbutt could be worthwhile.
  • Tips:
    • If you see a fat Steel, save Celebi for when the Steel type is dead (your team can deal with that)

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

On any other team, Cloyster would suck because of its limited set-up opportunities and low interplay with other team members. On a team that has low interplay and safe set-up opportunities, Cloyster tears the entire tier a new one (think Swampert on steroids).

• Items: Some may prefer White Herb (to get more boosts or something), but I kind of like King's Rock. King's Rock gives Spear and Rock blast 50% flinch rate, which is sometimes just enough to BS your way past mons such as Cresselia or Suicune.
  • Moves: Hydro Pump allows for Cloyster to break past Steel-types, which are usually Physically Defensive. Besides, +2/+2 mixed Sweeper is fucking terrifying. Can also run Ice Shard here for emergency RK against Mence, Drei, or MAero.
  • Tips:
    • Any time's a good time for Cloyster (kind of).
    • Against Offense or some forms of balance, try to get it in on a Physical attacker under screens (note the 180 Defense). Cloyster kills offense teams dead.
    • Against bulkier teams, leave Cloyster on the back burner and treat it as your sweeper/cleaner

oops sorry about size

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flame Charge

Every offense team knows that Sableye is a pain in the ass, especially for Dual Screens. Sableye can single-handedly shut down Dual Screens teams from the start with Prankster Taunts, WoWs, and whatnot. Thankfully, Houndoom's a big "fuck you" to that.
  • Moves:
    • I've worked with former UU TL Psychotic on this type of playstyle, and one thing we both agreed on is that a set-up sweeper for Dual Screens must either have the following:
      • Move that boosts offensive stat and Speed (i.e. Quiver Dance)
      • Move that boosts offensive stat + access to priority (i.e. Crawdaunt)
      • Move that boosts offensive stat + access to Speed Boost (i.e. Combusken, Ninjask)
      • Move that boosts offensive stat + move that boosts Speed (i.e. RP + SD Terrakion)
    • Houndoom does this to some degree. Against fat teams, Nasty Plot to heart's content. If Houndoom is still alive towards mid- to late-game, Flame Charge and sweep.
    • Boosting both is kind of ballsy but still possible. Makes it hard to stop.
  • Tips:
    • Houndoom is best as a Houndoom or Chandelure switch-in. Both mons give it free set-up opportunities.
    • Find a way to get this thing out early if you think Steel-types will be a big problem (i.e. Escavalier)

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Despite the balls-to-the-walls, stat-boosting playstyle, sometimes strong cores are hard to break, such as Fairy-Steel-Water. The biggest culprit are fat waters such as Suicune, Alomomola, or Blissey. Toxicroak capitalizes on this and goes to town against them.
  • Moves
    • Really Standard fare.
  • Tips
    • Send Toxicroak in on a Fat water type, like Milotic and Suicune, and proceed to set-up. Traditional defensive team members to Water types, such as Grass, Fairy, and Steel, will not like Toxicroak's STAB options.
CONCLUSION

Thus ends my team. It was fun to play with, and hopefully you all have fun with it. A few notes:

DON'T SET-UP IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO. Don't get all cocky-like and say "oh this Cress is at 20%. I can easily kill with Seed Bomb, but let me set-up anyway". Make the safe plays. Offensive playstyle logic should not be thrown out the window just because Screens exist. They give you more set-up opportunities, but remember: not every opportunity is a set-up opportunity.

Also, this team involves a lot of sacking. Know which mons to sacrifice to make for the better play.

I would also like to thank all of UU community for existing. Y'all are chill as fuck.

Importable:

Azelf @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Explosion

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Tail

Celebi @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flame Charge

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Don't forget to put suggestions. I'm open to all suggestions and would greatly appreciate constructive feedback, even if my team is retired.

Hey I was a little confused at first due to the images LOL but cool team nonetheless.
Seeing how you're lacking rocks, I would not run a duel screens Azelf. While it allow Cloyster and mence to setup easier, rocks support in tandem with knock off allows these mons to break through defensive Pokemon easier (removes leftovers; hazard damage). I would thus run SR>light screen, and knock off>reflect with a sash>light clay. I feel that this will especially help mons like mence break through Florges (as +1 Iron Tail is a roll without rocks, and a guranteed OHKO on defensive sets with rocks up). I will edit this with more info as I continue to decode your team.

TD;DR

Azelf @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 speed + attack, jolly.

- Rocks
- Explosion
- Knock Off
- Taunt

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey man cool looking team, its not everyday you see Dual Screens offense in this tier. But anyway, I just have a couple of small recommendations specifically for Dual Screens.
  • First off, I would recommend using a Naive over Jolly nature on Cloyster, using a Jolly nature on it comes with a pretty noticeable power decrease in your Hydro Pumps and Cloyster already has pretty lackluster Special Defense behind a Light Screen.. I would also consider running a Life Orb + Explosion over Rock Blast on it as well considering omnipresent Pokemon like Suicune and Empoleon wall your Cloyster set (even though you have Toxicroak in the back) are everywhere nowadays, but its really a preference thing.
  • Another thing I noticed was that you didn't have Stealth Rocks and was insanely weak to Mega Aerodactyl, even with Screens. That's why I'd recommend Cobalion over Celebi. This gives you more defensive value w/ a decent Aero and Krook check (w/ Shuca Berry), this is the set I'd recommend.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
    Ability: Justified
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Iron Head
    - Stealth Rock
    - Swords Dance / Volt Switch

• Lastly, I'd recommend using Intimidate over Moxie and Outrage over Dragon Claw on Salamence. Without Intimidate, things like Mienshao and Physical Ape can be issues if Screens ever go down. Outrage + Lum Berry still in tact is the best btw, D Claw is always weak imo.
Cool team! Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)