Honorable Members of Ideals (OU RMT)

Introduction:

Hello everyone on the Smogon website. I'm here today to find out if there are any improvements I need to make for my team. It had it's ups and downs in battles but it's still growing strong. However, there might be some things that can make my Pokémon team better. That's why I need your help. Below is my Pokémon team that I'm going to explain to you.

Pokémon Team Overview:

Here are the Pokémon I have in my team:

Skorpion the Female Gliscor
Nature: Impish
Ability: Poison Heal
IV's: 31/x/31/x/31/x
EV's: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Held Item: Toxic Orb
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Swords Dance
Protect

Not only that this Pokémon has the bulk to take physical hits really well but it can also sweep with the use of Swords Dance. Don't judge Skorpion so easily or your Pokémon will get stung from above, even when she doesn't have a tail attacking move.

Earthquake is quite an obvious choice for a Ground-type Pokémon as it can cause a great deal of damage to opponents and even more when her Attack goes up by using Swords Dance. She wouldn't go taking down types that are weak against it (excluding Skarmory) without it.

Any Pokémon that are resistant to Earthquake will get a taste of Ice Fang's medicine as it gives Skorpion good type coverage against other Pokémon such as Salamence and other Gliscor's.

Protect is very useful for predicting what attacks the opponent might have and activate Toxic Orb to gradually restore HP with Poison Heal. This is quite useful for Skorpion to have more chances of surviving severe impacts from opponents.

Threats:

This Pokémon however, does have it's flaws. For one thing, she is vulnerable when going up against Rain Dance teams, Hail teams and Pokémon that have a super-effective move. With the introduction of elemental punches from move tutors, battles can be difficult for her as some Pokémon such as Conkeldurr and Toxicroak can learn Ice Punch. Also, Skorpion cannot use the Poison Heal ability when it is hit by a status afflicting move other than poison.

Big Show the Male Conkeldurr
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Guts
IV's: 31/31/x/x/31/x
EV's: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
Held Item: Choice Band
Hammer Arm
Mach Punch
Payback
Stone Edge

Oh yeah! He's big, he's brutal and the Pokémon you don't want to mess with. This Conkeldurr can pummel opponents so hard he can literally squash them! I prefer a Choice Band set over the most popular Bulk Up set because I already got 2 Pokémon that can raise their stats in my team.

With Hammer Arm equipped with Choice Band, I can remember that he has the potential to OHKO a Rotom-W. It's that powerful. Not only that, when it has a status problem, Guts gives him a dramatic Attack boost. This would mean Hammer Arm + Choice Band + Guts = SPLAT!

Mach Punch is great for finishing off opponents who took a real beating. It is useful as Big Show is slow on speed, making it an easy target for retaliations.

Ghost types and Flying types is where Payback and Stone Edge comes in, giving Big Show more type coverage over others that resist or handle both Hammer Arm and Mach Punch. I'm talking to you Dusknoir and Dragonite.

Threats:

The downsides of the Choice Band set is that Big Show must be switched out when there is a Pokémon that can take whatever he uses as it makes him locked on to a move. There can also be Pokémon that will instantly knock him out straight away if possible. Especially Latios and Tornadus. These Pokémon are not friends with him at all. Sleep and confusion can be a problem for Big Show as they can stop him dead on his tracks.

Blazewing the Male Volcarona
Nature: Timid
Ability: Flame Body
IV's: 31/x/x/31/x/31
EV's: 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe
Held Item: Lum Berry
Fiery Dance
Bug Buzz
Hidden Power Electric (70)
Quiver Dance

Definitely one of the best Bug type Pokémon to choose from as it is a late game sweeper which can lead my Pokémon team to victory. Even Scizor can have a hard time facing this awesome Pokémon.

I chose Fiery Dance over Fire Blast and Flamethrower because even though it has less power, it has a chance to make Blazewing even stronger. A move with an additional raise effect? Yes please! (Also the move looks awesome too.) Of course, he does need that and the best Bug moves, Bug Buzz and Quiver Dance to put him up to it's full potential.

Blazewing can also try and take down types can be strong against him with Hidden Power Electric. Especially the lean-mean Gyarados and the ominous Jellicent.

The item Lum Berry is a great choice for a sweeper as it gives him a second chance and make a comeback!

Threats:

Unfortunately, this Pokemon is highly vulnerable and I mean HIGHLY to Rain Dance teams as they weaken Fiery Dance and easily flush him out, and entry hazards. I'm sorry to say that he won't go far when he has to go against those threats. If I'm not careful enough, Blazewing can be swatted before I can say anything.

Kraken the Male Tentacruel
Nature: Bold
Ability: Rain Dish
IV's: 31/x/31/x/31/x
EV's: 252 HP/ 240 Def/ 16 SpDef
Held Item: Black Sludge
Scald
Ice Beam
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin

Behold, the Tentacruel known as Kraken! This Pokémon is great for supporting my Pokémon team as it can save other members and give my opponent a difficult time. He even has a different method of recovering HP with the help of the ability Rain Dish when Rain Dance teams are about and Black Sludge. Even when it swapped his item when the opponent used Trick, the other Pokémon that holds it will not like it if it's not a Poison or Steel type.

Kraken will try his best to support the team if necessary by blasting boiling water on foes (Scald) and set up Toxic Spikes on the other side of the field. Burns and poison on opponents can make things a breeze for my Pokémon.

As there can be Pokémon such as Hydreigon which could be a problem to others, the Tentacruel has Ice Beam that give him more type coverage to those sort of opponents. It may not cause a lot of damage but it can still come in handy.

Kraken not only sets up entry hazard but he can get rid of them as well with Rapid Spin. It's a must for my Pokémon team to not take additional damage and put them in tight situations (including Blazewing as mentioned above). I wonder what a Rapid Spinning Tentacruel would be like if we see one in action?

Threats:

Kraken does have it's limits though as some Pokémon with Taunt, Encore and even Trick can put him in a tight spot. Ghost-types can prevent him from getting rid of entry hazards and there are some Pokémon that have no problems with status problems at all. Take Reuniclus for example. But the worst threat Kraken doesn't want to face is a Gothitelle with Shadow Tag. When that Pokémon is out, he won't be able to escape and that can be a really bad problem. Also, when Kraken faints, I won't have anything to deal with opposing entry hazards.

Steelthorn the Male Ferrothorn
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Iron Barbs
IV's: 31/x/31/x/31/0
EV's: 252 HP/88 Def/164 SpDef
Held Item: Leftovers
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Leech Seed
Stealth Rock

Here's another Pokémon that supports the team really well, Steelthorn. This Pokémon can take a lot of hits, making it a barrier in which a team needs. There is nothing wrong with this Pokémon when it comes to defence.

Gyro Ball is a great choice as he is very slow in combat, especially when paralyzed. When it faces a fast Pokémon such as Weavile, it turns into a steel ball and then BAM! Massive damage! This shows you that slow and steady does win battles. Power Whip is also a must for him because how can he have good type coverage against Rain Dance and Sandstorm teams?

Steelthorn can outstall and wear out opponents with Leech Seed along with the good old Leftovers. It can be a big help for more HP recovery than usual. Foes that got some of their health sapped shall be finished off by my other Pokémon.

Stealth Rock is always a must because it's a very useful move. It's great to give my Pokémon team an advantage over some Pokémon. I guess this is why we don't see Shedinja's nowadays. Great move, never go wrong without it.

Threats:

My Ferrothorn has great defence for my Pokémon team but that are threats that can put him in his misery...I know that Fire-types (especially those in Sunny Day teams) can burn Steelthorn down to cinders and Fighting-types that will break through his steel shell. But there are other problems as well. He would not set up entry hazards and support other Pokémon well when a foe uses Taunt, Encore or Trick (if the user has a Choice item). Plus, it's an easy target for a Charge Beaming Magnezone with Magnet Pull. Magnezone would make Steelthorn cling onto it, making him unable to escape and to make matters worse, it might have a chance to be prepared to face my entire team! As we all know, magnets attract steel objects so I have to watch out for that Pokémon in particular.

Thunderkid the Male Jolteon
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
IV's: 31/x/x/31/x/31
EV's: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
Held Item: Life Orb
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice (70)
Shadow Ball
Volt Switch

This is my newest member on my team, Thunderkid. This Pokémon can leave big dents on foes and switch out faster than the speed of sound! One of the reasons is Life Orb to pack extra power than it usually does. He may be a risky sweeper with it's standard defence but he still has brilliant uses as it can out-speed fast foes that my other Pokémon can't do.

I'll never prepare Thunderkid without the classic Thunderbolt. It was awesome back in Generation 1 and it's still awesome today. Water and Flying type Pokémon would be dazzled by his shocking skills...if they are not Ground-types that is. Speaking of Ground-types...

Hidden Power Ice gives Thunderkid more coverage against those that cannot be zapped. Salamences, Gliscors, Flygons. Better watch your backs for him.

I chose Shadow Ball because my Jolteon also needs to deal with Ghost-types more easily. Plus, it has more power and can lower the foe's Sp.Def as well. That's just my opinion.

Finally, Volt Switch is great for another Pokémon member to take his place. There are some Pokémon that Thunderkid cannot deal with on his own. So it's best to have friends with you at all times.

Threats:

Now for some of the threats and flaws that I must watch out for. Thunderkid does not have much than others so a vicious hit like Flare Blitz and Outrage would put him down for the count. Choice Scarf Pokémon like Landorus and even Flygon (as mentioned before) can even knock him out with an Earthquake before he can leave an impact on them. Because my Jolteon's best stat is Speed, his only focus is to be fast and capable of finishing off opponents. If not then it has to be switched out. His Speed can also be crippled by some items such as Lagging Tail. If that happens, he won't go far at all...

Conclusion:

So, that's my Pokémon team so far. Despite their threats and difficult times, they're still trying hard and that what makes me proud. If you can, please rate my team and let me know if there are any improvements I need to make in order for it to be stronger and handle certain threats.

Thank you all for reading and as always, happy battling! :)​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)