Gen 3 Hot Girl bummer - An ADV RMT

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor

Introduction

It’s been a year since I got into ADV. A year during which, I learnt the tier and learnt how to build in it. And after a year I finally was able to build a team that I fell in love with thus I decided that I'd try to make my first RMT out of it. This team is both my most played ADV team at the moment and the exact kind of team I like to play in this game, a Bulky Offense, as in every pokemon being a part of it are bulky but also provide offensive support. At the start of this team was as set I saw several time during recent tours such as Callous Cup: Rest Gyarados.

Teambuilding Process

I knew I wanted to build some kind of offense, and I got really hyped by the Rest set that got popular recently with ADV Cup 5 and Callous Invitational 3. I think it's a really cool set that allows Gyarados to work differently than how it works generally, benefiting for his good bulk.

While building on Rest Gyarados, Steelix and Magneton appeared like somehow being a given. Magneton for obvious reasons, such as trapping the like of Skarmory for Gyarados. Steelix, provide a switch in to a lot of mons that threaten Gyarados while Gyarados does the same for Steelix. I think putting those two in the same step of the building process is the way to go, since they have been the way to go with Rest Gyarados since it’s start trending, and it would be lying to deny how this trend influenced my build.

At that point I decided my forth mon had to do one thing: get electric types out of the picture for Gyarados. And Metagross can be extremely good at doing so. Moreover Metagross also provide a much appreciated secondary rock resist. Couldn't really go wrong here since Metagross is such a great offense enabler, that it almost always goes well in Offense.

With Metagross, what seemed to me as the greatest bulky gyarados stop remaining were Gengar and Tyranitar. Thus a Leech seed Celebi looked appealing. It was even more appealing since it makes Steelix job a bit easier by checking electric types too, allowing to to dedicate itself to physical threats early game.

When I started to think about my last, I hesitated a lot. My first thoughts went to Snorlax, Zapdos and Dugtrio that would help dealing with special attackers. But since I was not convinced which one would be the best, I asked UD his opinion. He suggested something that would help against moltres and water types, most notably suicune.

The Team

@

Ability- Clear Body
EVs- 184 HP | 56 Atk | 240 SpA | 28 Spe
Nature- Quiet

Meteor Mash | Thunder Punch | Hidden Power [Grass] | Explosion

I entrusted Metagross as my lead because it is the most consistent pokemon in the team at doing so, thanks to his ability to match up fairly well against the common leads that are Tyranitar, Salamence and Zapdos. As for the moves, Meteor Mash provides him with a powerful STAB while Thunder Punch and HP Grass allows it to hit super effectively water types and Skarmory while still having a decent neutral coverage. Explosion allows me to nuke the pokemon incentive in by the coverage, hopefully the electric types such as Zapdos, even though steel types are also able to take on this set fairly well.

@

Ability- Magnet Pull
EVs- 152 HP | 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 100 Spe
IVs- 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Nature- Modest

Thunderbolt | Hidden Power [Fire] | Toxic | Protect

While Magneton was here mostly to trap Skarmory for Gyarados in the first place, it also traps the other steel types that may switch into metagross instead of the electrics, and that would deny my explosion on them. I chose to run a bulky variant here since I value getting rid of both Skarmory the spiker and Skarmory the Wall, but also Skarmoy the phazer, therefore I want to trap Skarmory every time I face one, and not allows YoloSkarm to be free of laying spikes and to phaze my set up that are all suscptible to a phaze from Skarmory. I run HP Fire, over the HP Grass that may be prefered on Magneton Offense, because I absolutly want to avoid spikes up as much as possible thus want the odds to kill Forretress over the ability to hit Swampert in this team, it also allows me to do a lot more to opposing Magneton.

@

Ability- Rock Head
EVs- 252 HP | 132 Atk | 124 SpD
Nature- Impish

Protect | Earthquake | Rock Slide | Explosion

Nothing really surprising here, Protect Earthquake and Explosion are really standard on Steelix, allowing it to do his job of a defensive support. Rock Slide is the move of choice since I don't run pursuit support therefore I don't run toxic since otherwise Gengar would be absoluetly free to do what ever it wishes, and that's not something you'd want to allow in a team that need to weaken the said Gengars.

@

Ability- Intimidate
EVs- 252 HP | 60 Def | 188 SpD | 8 Spe
Nature- Adamant

Rest | Hidden Power [Flying] | Earthquake | Dragon Dance

This is the very reason this team started to exist, Rest Gyarados. This set, thanks to Rest, allows Gyarados to check and to set up on some of the pokemon that are usually checks to Gyarados, such as bulky water types, or pokemon that would attempt to ruin your sweep with statues. The biggest downside that this set got over more offensive variants of Gyarados, is that it needs his offensive checks to be weakened a lot more. HP Fly and Earthquake are the best options here since other option on Gyarados exist as coverage for thing I got covered with the rest of the team. And of course Dragon Dance is what allows Gyarados to be threatening.

@

Ability- Natural Cure
EVs- 248 HP | 48 Def | 72 SpA | 120 SpD | 20 Spe
IVs- 0 Atk
Nature- Calm

Psychic | Leech Seed | Recover | Calm Mind

As I said before, Celebi is here as a Gengar andTyranitar switch in. But what makes it really good in this slot, in my opinion, is that being mono Psychic with Leech Seed allows it to actively weaken Tyranitar while providing another pokemon able to claim games. While it was original physically defensive, Starmie being such a threat for the team left me with no choice but to shift the spread for a more Specially Defensive oriented one. Calm Mind allows it to be a threat a therefore incentive Tyrantiar to come on my Celebi. The combinaison of Leech Seed and Calm Mind also allows Celebi to escape Dugtrio's traping without relying on HP Grass.

@

Ability- Pressure
EVs- 252 HP | 192 SpA | 64 Spe
IVs- 0 Atk
Nature- Modest

Surf | Calm Mind | Rest | Sleep Talk

Suicune is here as a most needed second water and fire resist in the first place. Surf Calm Mind and Rest are the standard on non offensive variants. Sleep Talk allow Suicune to never release the pressure applied, it also allows Suicune to weaken offensive checks that would try to kill it while it's asleep, those offensive checks being somewhat similar with those of Gyarados. Crocune is also able to win on it's own on some match ups that on relly on defensive answers to Suicune.

Conclusion

Overall, this team is really proactive with a lot of scary set up capable to break through teams for each other. And every member of the team provides both offensive and defensive support which I find really pleasant to play.
Obviously the team still got threats that can annoy it such as:
-Starmie: Offensive Starmie really is a nuissance to this team, as it is often for offense, with it's boltbeam coverage on top of it's water type, it can pummel through the team, Celebi with a Specially defensive spread is able to switch into it, but take a huge chunk of damage on ice beam, which means that with some chip damage starmie don't have any switch ins.
- Cloyster: Being an untrappable Spiker is already an issue, since my defensive backbone get into some annoying ranges with spikes up. But on top of that, being a bulky water types with boom allows it to stop every single member of my offensive core, even if it's only once.
-Over Relying on SleepTalk: This is a bit out of place to mention this here, but this is an issue I've faced more than once. Yes it's basically saying "not playing well" but I feel like SleepTalk is really a bait.

You all probably already read RMT that were redacted better, so feel free to also give advice regarding this aspect.
Huge thanks to UD for helping me with this team, it meant a lot. Thanks to the ADV Ladder Gang for being so welcoming with newcomers. And Thanks OF.

Enlil (Metagross) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 184 HP / 56 Atk / 240 SpA / 28 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion

Misharu (Magneton) @ Magnet
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic
- Protect

Tlaltecuhtli (Steelix) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Explosion

Adad (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 188 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Ningirsu (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 72 SpA / 120 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Leech Seed
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Chalchiuhtlicue (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Latest Version of the Team : https://pokepast.es/f4dc9a6edcff9ffd

Last edited:
love blackbear, nice thread

here's where i'd go with your build: https://pokepast.es/fc6d4f4dc9f9ec3d

Here's a quick overview of the changes and what they do

MixGross -> Special Pursuit Gross
TPunch has no targets outside of Skarmory, which Magneton will trap in 99% of the time. In that same vein, Gyarados doesn't like facing Gengar because it can outspeed +1 Gyara and threaten the OHKO with invested TBolt. Adding Pursuit + Psychic gives your team a reliable way to remove or at least chip opposing Gar into Gyara range, depending on the Gar spread (Gyara can tank 0 SpA Gar TBolt and set up to +2 against it, offensive Gar will lose to Gross). Psychic retains strong coverage against waters and gives you a better tool to chip both Zapdos and Moltres. I kept your speed creep the same and EV'd the Gross to live Ada Dug EQ.

SpD CM Bi -> SpD Heal Bell Bi + spread change
Rest Gyara really wants Heal Bell support because it can be challenging to burn enough rest turns vs things like big 5 TSS (a matchup where Gyara will dominate if stays awake and healthy consistently). HP Grass is just better on this type of Celebi to pressure TTar and OHKO 8 HP Dug, especially since Psychic isn't as useful to hit Gar with the inclusion of Pursuit Gross. Kept it specially defensive to give you some game against offensive Starmie. The spread lives Ada Dug HP [Bug], OHKOs 8 HP Dug, and outspeeds max +Spe TTar.

Steelix -> Physical Claydol
Steelix just doesn't do enough here. I usually use it to compress my rock resist and electric check into 1 mon, but here you don't need that compression. Claydol brings Rapid Spin to the table and still retains a moderately strong Explosion for breaking. I put Rock Slide as the last move to better pressure SpD Zap and again, Psychic Meta helps make this usable. The spread lives offensive Starmie Hydro from full, giving you another out against that mon. I crept just over the Smog analysis DDTar benchmark, but I personally like my Claydols even faster than that, so consider that option as well. The rest is dumped into attack to better damage TTar. 216+ Atk is another benchmark to hit to ensure the 2HKO on 252 HP lefties TTar if you don't want the Starmie bulk.

CroCune -> 2 Atks bulky RestCune
Your version of the team is weak to DDMence, and as my edits make this team more defensive in structure, an even more solid DDMence check is required. Ice Beam Cune fills that niche and also pressures Zapdos as much as offensive CroCune would. Since you have Heal Bell, you can afford this momentum-draining set. Since this team is rather bulky, I prefer a fatter Cune here but an offensive spread with Hydro also would work fine.

Mag EV change
You mention YOLOskarm in your Mag description and this spread allows you to live any HP [Ground] from adamant Skarmory. Since you have a spinner now in Claydol, you can also afford to be slower than heavily-crept Skarm and allow them to get 2 layers when you trap them. Sunny Day has better utility here than Toxic because both your Rest sweepers greatly appreciate clear skies.

Gyara EV change.
If you're running an Adamant nature, this Atk benchmark lets you OHKO 252 HP Gar at +2 and still lets you live an offensive Starmie TBolt.

Hopefully you find this helpful, see you around :]

Last edited:

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
Thanks Zf :)

Although it has a totally different spirit than my original build, I like your take on it quite a lot.
I think I still prefere the original's spirit a bit, but I'll definitely edit it with some of your ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)