SS OU How can I make my team better?

https://pokepast.es/55562d99523a21b1

I was trying to make my own team

I played a couple of battles but there is something off

I have a dragapult, urshifu and melmetal as sweepers. Then I wanted someone that could toxic and stall if needed, also someone that I could safe switch into and I got Toxapex (she was great in the matches I played). I also got a corvilknight with defog and tailwind for niche situations (he was also great in the matches I played).

So far I like these 5 a lot, but the last pokemon is my main problem I think. I tried double screen regieleki, where I bascially kamikazied myself if I needed, setting a screen and dying, I also had him with rapid spin for spikes but corvilknight already has defog so regi was a little useless.

I figured out I wanted a grass type to cover things like gastrodon, so I tried out rillaboom as another sweeper, he was great in the few matches I played with him, but I feel weird having so many offensive pokemon and I thought maybe my team needed more support.

Celeste (Dragapult) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

This was the first core pokemon I chose for my team, and wanted to build a team around it. I like Dragapults stats and infiltrator, the latter being amazing in the matches I played with this team, since it ignores pokémon that use substitute to build up stat changes. This ability also works great with Urshifu. I chose Choice Specs for the extra damage, and since Dragapult speed stat is great, I rather have Choice Specs than Choice Scarf. EV spreads for max Spa and Spe, since its what I need. The attack choice is pretty offensive, I didn't put U-Turn because I rather have thunderbolt. Smogon set for Dragapult says thunder for him, but I hate the 70% hit chance, so I play safe here. Flamethrower was also a must, since there are no other fire attacks in my team, and even if I can cover against monotype grass and metal for example, having a SPA fire attack for Ferrothorn and such is a nice tool.

LoveDies (Urshifu-Rapid-Strike) @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Aqua Jet
- Close Combat
- U-turn

I chose Urshifu because in my mind it went well with Dragapult. Not only because of its ability, since dragapult can go trough screens and substitute, Urshifu proved very useful by being able to bypass protect moves. Urshi helps with type coverage as well, being able to hit things Dragapult has issues with, being it a ground, rock, normal, and specially DARK type pokemon, or a SPD wall. Surging Strikes is also a great move, being able to HKO even some pokemon with neutral damage, or 2HKO resistant pokemon that have bad defenses, great for hurting pokemon that switch. Overall, in the matches I played, those 2 played nice together, and made a good offensive duo.

Fridge (Melmetal) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 140 HP / 180 Atk / 180 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Even if Urshifu and Dragapult work great together, there is one big fear of mine that is not really covered for super effective damage, FAIRY TYPES. Since fairies are only weak to steel and poison, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a bulkier pokemon that can deal with certain pokemon. If put with Dragapult and Urshifu, Melmetal was bringing a little more balance to my team, its a pokemon that I can switch in with a little more safety. I chose Assault Vest and a mixed EV spread for that. Melmetal has great attack, hp and def, but he really lacks in SPD, so even if it can probably survive a physical fighting or fire attack without more def, I worry about surviving a fire or fighting SPA. So far he is doing his job, and switching in when needed, against fairies or even in some cases dragons because of Ice Punch.

Brexit (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic
- Recover

When I was playing random singles in showdown, I learned that a lot of the time a wall with toxic can really help a lot. It's a very safe switch in, and it can trow an annoying poison that can really help with damage against some pokemon. Toxapex was very great in the matches I played with this team, working with corvilknight to force my adversary to switch in enough so I could bring my sweepers, leaving toxic and some gunk shots in the way. The only thing I was confused with Toxapex is the need for Haze. I already had a adversary that tried to increase its stats to start sweeping, I was lucky though, since the pokemon with increased stats was not effective against Toxapex, making it die to toxic eventually, while Toxapex survived with recover, black sludge and bunker. I was thinking about maybe changing gunk shot for haze, but I really think a offensive move is necessary, so I think maybe I should stop worrying.

Beavis (Corviknight) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- Tailwind

Working with Toxapex most of the time, Corvilknight helps my team with defog when needed, or to tank some hits and sometimes set tailwind for very niche situations, since my team is already usually really fast. Corvilknight is another pokemon I usually switch in to try to set up conditions for my sweepers to come in when toxapex can't. The only problem with this defensive duo is their common weakness to electric damage, which is a weakness for basically my whole team, since only dragapult can take not very effective damage, but since dragapult is pretty squishy, it can hurt anyways. Tailwind can also be good with Melmetal, giving it a little more speed in some situations, making it outspeed some slow pokemon. Overall I really enjoy the dynamic these 2 last pokemon have with the rest of my team.

Finger (Rillaboom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Now for the main problem with my team, my indecision with my last pokemon, and the reason I ask for tips for my whole team, and specially this last spot. First, I did not have a Rillaboom, but a Regieleki. My team was pretty good with offense I guess, so I tried to have a very fast pokemon that could set screens if needed, as well as maybe rapid spin quickly some hazards. The problem is that I was not really finding openings to put screens up, and because of the burst potential of my team, sometimes it was not really necessary. Not only that, rapid spin was kind of useless because corvilknight usually does the cleaning job. I was using Regi to basically set a screen and DIE with explosion right after, hopefully taking a good pokemon in the other team, while making the next rounds easier because of the extra protection. But it didn't feel right, and I quickly tried to swap it. Now I got Rillaboom, another offensive pokemon, that can cover some holes in my team, since I had hard times with some specific pokemon. So far Rillaboom was pretty good, sometimes sweeping the enemy team because of its priority Grassy Glide and high damage, sometimes 2HKOing pokemon that would switch in. But even if Rillaboom is working great, I still think there is a better option to help my team, and I want to find out what option it is.

Can someone give me tips on the last pokemon? Should I keep rillaboom or try another pokemon?
If there is a tip for the rest of the team also, please help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hi o mulo, welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. You also need to provide a full team paste (you can use a tool like https://pokepast.es/ for this) Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this. Also, feel free to PM me if you need help or have any question. Have a nice day!

To PM someone on Smogon, go over their name on any of their post. It will display a little pop-up with a summary of their profile. Then, hit the "Start conversation" button and you will be able to write a PM just like you write a regular thread.

Why did you choose this Pokemon?
What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it?
What are all 4 moves for?

edit: unlocked, thanks for the descriptions!

Last edited:
For a first time builder, I am impressed! However I do see two things that could be added to this team to make it better. I will try and help you, just keep in mind you might think my advice is bad or that I am a bad rater but that's fine, just do what you think is best.

Your current team lacks:
- A Ground Type
- Hazards

MAJOR CHANGES:
:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: OR :Rillaboom: -> :Landorus-Therian:
Your team really needs a ground type to tank electric attacks. Right now mons like Zapdos and koko have no fear spamming thunderbolt after thunderbolt as you have no real cushion for them as your electric resists have no reliable healing. These two slots seemed the most replaceable as they kind of do the same thing. I was originally thinking remove urshi as rillaboom has grassy terrain which is very nice but then I thought your team struggles with instant damage output. It is up to you but one of these needs to get the boot for Lando to rock up.

I am very impressed that only one Mon had to be changed for a first time builder, but I have a couple small changes.

MINOR CHANGES:
:Dragapult:
Celeste (Dragapult) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- U-Turn
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower/Thunderbolt

I reckon one of your coverage moves should be replaced for U-Turn to make Dragapult able to switch if you know they have a wall swapping in to tank a shadow ball or something. It gives you more momentum which is what you need on offense like this. Which one you replace is up to preference and who you swap out for Lando. If you ditch rillaboom I would keep tbolt on pult so you can still hit water types. It is up to you though.

:Corviknight:
Beavis (Corviknight) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- Tailwind -> U-Turn

Tailwind is a niche move, too niche because it doesn't have enough turns on it to be useful in singles. You will get more value out of U-Turn which pairs well with pressure and it is nice to not be a sitting duck against things you wall, they will swap and you click U-Turn and react to what they bring in.

:Melmetal:
Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 128 HP / 116 Atk / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

This is the standard Assault Vest Melmetal Set so I think you should use it over what you currently have.

:Toxapex:
Brexit (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Gunk Shot -> Knock Off/Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

I just simply think that one of these moves will serve you better, knock off removes items and scald is a stab that can burn.

Your team with Rillaboom will look like this:https://pokepast.es/c2f3b6e65d94301e

And Urshifu this:
https://pokepast.es/366ae55b0af48513

Just remember you don't have to do everything or anything I recommend, I hope you have fun in the ladder!

Thank you very much for the reply!

No worries about criticizing my team, that's what I wanted so I'm glad for the tips, I'm just starting to play more competitive OU rn so I don't know a lot.

I will try my team with both urshifu and Rillaboom and see what feels best for me :)

Just one thing, since landorous also has toxic, maybe I could make toxapex with haze or toxic spikes? Or would that make her worse?

Just one thing, since landorous also has toxic, maybe I could make toxapex with haze or toxic spikes? Or would that make her worse?
Landorus' moveset is very flexible, you can run knock off or even defog over toxic if you want. Pex is also great with tspikes and haze, again it's all about personal preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)