How did you guys get into competative Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't know if anyone asked this before, but I don't see it, so I'm going to ask.

So, competative Pokemon is really interesting and I loved it. Was it because you played the mainstream games? Watched anime? Or just got interested by seeing some of the SS ads but don't want to buy the actual game? Also, which tier do you play in the most and why?

I'll start:

So one day (in the spring of 2019 I think) my friends and I got off the school bus at the library and started "doing homework" on the computers. My friends started playing randbats on ladder (because back then none of us know how to build actual teams). Because I played Pokemon Tower Defense I know some stuff about the types chart so they asked me to come over and help them. I thought: "Wow, free Pokemon battles!" and began to try it out (after helping them of course). It's actually really cool! For the few month or so I played randbats from time to time, but eventually got tired of having the RNG decide which Pokemon you get (dude, how did they get Xerneas and Articuno on the same team???) so I started trying to build some teams. Like a lot of us, my first team is just a mixture of Pokemon I liked (I picked BW OU because a lot of the Pokemon I liked was there but there were no stupid stuff like Gale Wings Talonflame). Needless to say, it failed horribly, and I switched back to randbats. After a while I gave up on it and played very rarely if at all.

Fast forward to 2020 when I got bored in spare time during online classes, so I went through the Smogon Dex and read through basically every USUM OU Pokemon's entries. I found that it was pretty interesting, and it was enough to re-spark my interest in competative Pokemon. A bit after that I though enough was enough and I decided to try to build a competatively viable team. The result was great and served me well low-ladder, but soon I desired something that can hold up to higher ladder so I went to the RMT section to ask people to give me a rate (it is still there!). At that time, I've been mostly playing USUM OU and nothing else. After a while in the Smogon Forums and found a team by obii featuring Naganadel, my favorite Uber, which drew me into USUM Ubers. For a while I still predominately play USUM OU, and the teams I use for USUM Ubers are copied from the Smogon Forums (like obii's), but after a while I started building my own teams and they actually work pretty well. Soon, USUM Ubers enamored me and I predominately played it. I also play some USUM UU, National Dex, USUM Doubles, and even some ORAS OU and SS BH! But what I love about USUM Ubers is its diversity but also its stability, meaning the metagame have powerful and diverse threats but also room for creativity. USUM OU is a bit wild, with threats everywhere and I really can't prepare for everything, but in USUM Ubers you can check most of the threats while still being able to add your own creative ideas.

What about you? A lot of you here must do competative Pokemon (unless you are just here to talk, and I have to admit, Orange Islands is a great place to do that). How did you get into it? Which tier do you play and why?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Orange Islands isn't really the place for this sort of thread.

We are all about ingame content not related to competitive battling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)