How do people feel about likes?

Should we change likes and reactions in Cong?

• We should have likes and reactions (keep everything as-is)

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • We should only have "likes" (disable reactions, but keep the ability to like posts)

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • We should have no likes or reactions (remove everything)

Votes: 14 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On the back of smogon staff discussion on pokemon-themed reactions, etc, discussion has come up around the use of "likes" or "reactions" and whether or not they contribute anything positive to a forum. Some forums on the site, such as CAP, disable likes completely due to their philosophy.

Cong posters (and cong lurkers), what is your take on this? I've heard complaints from some people that likes are a bane of this subforum. I disagree but I want to hear your thoughts.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1) delete likes from cong in general ala what CAP did
2) delete likes from political / discussion based threads but keep for personal threads (lgbt / anxiety / depression / photo album/ etc)

The biggest argument for keeping likes is that they allow people to show support for a post without actually reiterating what someone said. This is not applicable to Cong. Not only do people reiterate what others say all the time ("dogpiling" being an issue for the forum to me shows that post duplication is at least common enough for people to complain about), Cong is a discussion based forum. The issues aren't like Policy Review or PS Policy or anything else because almost every thread is meant to be open ended and allow discussion without a clear goal that the posters are reaching towards, unlike the other examples where posters are meant to solve a problem. Likes as a way to show support defeat the purpose of the forum; if you don't want to take the time to make a post then you don't have to and your two cents aren't needed, nor do they have to be. Likes encourage clique posters and onlookers changing their opinions based on who liked whos post, or even people posting in specific ways in order to generate likes (snarky posts or clear bait questions come to mind for that). What should matter is the content of someone's arguments / posts, which can easily be deduced by, you know, actually reading the post in its entirety rather than just picking out which are the popular posts.

I would very strongly advise deleting them from all of cong. Threads like the photo album can make users uncomfortable because they might post and get no reactions to them whereas other people might post in other threads simply for the validation factor. Threads like the depression / lgbt thread aren't monitored anyway so theres no downside imo to removing likes and the alternative being a bunch of people quoting another post and affirming their support for it, which is much more personal and genuine than just a simple luvdisc.

I think that reacts should be disabled in their entirety; there is basically zero situation that a user shoulld be replying to all criticism on a post with the "haha" emoji, and is a way to try to make people feel small and attack the ego rather than attacking the argument, and ditto goes for every other reaction. The Bellsprout is almost always used in the same way that :thinking: is used, in a condescending manner intended to belittle, and :love: is just the exact same thing as luvdisc. Angry is toxic as fuck, possibly more toxic than any of them while the azurill emoji often comes off as mad ironic, again defeating its purpose.

Linked below is my complete thoughts on likes as a whole on the forum as posted in IS. My preferences as they pertain to Cong are, in order of best to worst, to:

1) delete likes and reacts from Cong entirely
2) delete likes from political but not personal threads; delete reacts entirely
3) delete reacts entirely

I cannot speak for the PS policy threads or the PS suggestion subforums so I won't. Instead I'll comment on areas I do frequent or have frequented in the past throughout my tenure of smogon.

In any competitive based subforum (OU, LC, CAP, OM, etc) likes have always felt, to me, as an easy way to identify the subcliques and "correct ideas" of the subforum. Those with the most likes on their post have frequently been seen as the "cool kids" of whatever area of the site it is. Often posts tend to devolve into various cliques likeganging each others posts in an attempt to back up their friend without any actual critical engagement of the post. People say it's easier to discern the popular posts in a thread and claim it is a good thing but in practice and longterm for both policy and forum engagement I'd say it is an inherently bad thing. Gauging a post by the likability of it based on the amount of luvdiscs or alomomolas it has is nothing more than forum bandwagonning and disincentivizes actual community engagement. The amount of likes on a post could be easily attributed to anything from actual legitimate good content to the amount of snark the post has in it, to even just how smart the individual sounds in the post (like my personal recent favorite quip: "Sparsely used conspiracy theories are a sign of an unhealthy theorization. If you want to look to nature for parallels, the mutation of social justice warriors that causes anarchy against the establishment increases resistance to common sense"). The amount of likes could also be attributed to how many times the post was linked in various "likewhoring" discord channels, a phenomena I find disgusting and a great reason social media is unhealthy for you (practically every single discord chat I've been in for teams, tours, or even just a group of friends has had some form of channel dedicated to mindless like react pleading by dropping the link to a thread or post you made. Instead, what matters in these areas of policy review and competitive subforum is the content of a post, which cannot be easily established without actual thoughtful critique and analyzing, a process that is not feasible when one's views are heavily influenced by the creator of the post or the amount of likes it has. I think a subforum where legitimate discussion takes place, debating back and forth, tend to devolve rather quickly when there are incentives aside from the quiddity of the conversation; i.e. imposing a quick dopamine rush in the form of 'likes' gives a tendency to post in a certain way as a 'gotcha' rather than posting in actual critique of the argument, and ultimately this affects policy and long term forum engagement as people either 1) wanting to post for fear of being gotcha'd (osh posting in the LC subforum and then getting 'gotchad' by zebraiken is one example of this, as well as im sure many other users fall victim to) or 2) people only wait to post and jump on whatever hot button issue some passionate poster posts about, rather than legitimately attempting to address issues in a subforum or tier or policy decision.

In any discussion based subforum, such as cong, reactions have quickly taken over the main debate. Cong has various other issues, such as inactive moderators or from certain people's point of view too biased moderators, but in my opinion reacts are the worst part that disincentivizes people from posting. Typing up a long thoughtful critique of a post only to be met with a 'haha' react from Mike "i think beastiality is probably ok morally" Dawg can be disheartening, especially to newer users and makes the environment seem fairly toxic. Moreover cong experiences the same issues that I addressed earlier in the previous paragraph; there are clear cliques within cong that artificially inflate support for posts / users simply based on brand name alone. In such a hotblooded subforum likes have been absolutely detrimental, stemming conversation because it's easier to just pop a click like there supporting a post that says 1 thing but not quite everything in response to something you find distasteful than to actually offer your own individualized, possibly more transparent, thoughts.

A user will make themselves known in their community based on their thoughts and posts alone, and a neon flashing sign that says "8 people liked this" to signify that indeed this user is well liked within the community and possibly their post is good is not needed, and if anything is a deterrent to reading the comment. There have been many times myself that I have fallen victim to that mindset, of believing in a post or argument in a thread simply because there are certain players I respect that happen to like the post, and if they like it then surely the post is a good one. Conversation is far more fruitful when people are forced to actually look at the content of the post and juxtapose it with their own beliefs, or write up a response to a post rather than just dropping a quick "dislike." I was originally in the camp for adding a dislike button to offset the toxicity of likes but now I think that it only exacerbates the issue of a disengaging community.

The purpose of likes in your eyes, specifically in relation to content regarding PS, seems to be to be able to sort by popularity for newer users. While I can understand this point of view forcing reacts upon the forum to make it more like a social media site is the wrong way to go about it, and instead enabling it in specific parts of the forum with the default being disabled would be a far better solution than disabling it in specific parts of the forum and enabling be default. That may seem like just a semantical argument but the importance of the default state of the forum cannot be stressed, as people are naturally inclined towards the status quo and simultaneously will support whatever dopamine rush they have become accustomed to (no matter how toxic to their mental health it may be). Moreover I think that that issue could simply be solved by bringing back the old luvdiscs; the ones that were common on the RMT subforum back in 2012 that you could luvdisc a thread, not a post, and easily sort by popularity that way. I don't see your point on PS policy creation because that conversation could easily be solved by whatever private PS chat / discord chat / slack chat you guys are in anyway, as the main dudes involved in PS policy creation probably talk amongst themselves to begin with, and I don't see the necessary element in likes on the forums there.

My personal preference Stellar is, in order from most preferred to least, is to 1) disable likes entirely and cut smogon cold turkey from like dopamine infusions; 2) bring back old luvdiscs (old luvdiscs) and disable likes on the subforums as a default; 3) create a specific style that enables or disables likes (depending on pov) and all reacts and the ability to see reacts on posts for users; 4) continue to feed this wolf and decelerate forum culture into a like dependent environment. I think Martin is entirely right in that likes have been nothing but a downward spiral for the forums since creation, as any quick incentive would do to a passionate fanbase forum.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I don't think likes are the bane of this forum and the assumption that likes are based in clique mentality is paranoia that has no evidence or grounding in reality to support it. i dont talk to any of the users that like my posts, but I know from talking to ppl itt that they believe I know these ppl and communicate with them in some coordinated way due to them being able to view these reactions. As such, I think this discussion of getting rid of likes has its roots in a desire to more strictly control users' expressions in this forums. The main ground of this discussion is definitely paranoia: paranoia that ppl are dogpiling users they disagree w, paranoia that ppl will feel bad if they don't get as many likes as other ppl, etc.

It's easy, if you're not into the enlightened way way we discuss things in cong, to say you don't like the social forums because of reactions. I mean sure, I too dislike it when everyone itt upvotes a junk science post brought to us str8 from the agribusiness blogosphere, but you know I just do my best to continue having a discussion in spite of such events because it's worth it to me to be able to put a <3 on the trans users' coming out posts. I think the ppl suggesting getting rid of likes are more culpable than many users in the bad behaviors they attribute to the presence of reactions.

Keep them. Is there any way to disable viewing likes in settings, so that some of our users who vigorously dislike likes can not view them.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I don't mind the existence of them.
But if we are keeping them, I'd like to buy things with then, like what we used to do in Firebot.

I do not see problem with reactions. Every time we read a post, we automatically have a reaction, we may like or not like it, feel sad with the words used or find the post very funny. Reactions only boost what you think of the post, and people are not accustomed to being criticized, if they do not like the post, reactions of laughter and anger will be overwhelming, and automatically cause a nuisance in the owner of the post. The likes are cool for revealing that you like the post, but people get very ill accustomed to just getting likes, I find the reactions more realistic, literally. Also, that's my opinion, if you didn't like, you can put the angry or laughter reaction, okay? I don't have problem with this.

I don't think they're overtly harmful, and I use them myself to show appreciation for posts that I don't really have anything to add or respond to, but I wouldn't say they're amazingly useful either. A post that receives no likes/reactions/whatever can still have a valid point, and a post that receives a lot of likes can still be banal and contribute basically nothing of any use to the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)