How often do you use profanity on a daily basis?

How often do you use profanity on a daily basis?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Simple question, simple answer. Or is it?

As far as I know, using profanity too often will get you labelled as vulgar, while using too few will give you a hard time with your mates. Especially if they are a bunch of foul-mouthed pricks.

Then again, there are people who claim that using profanity allows one to "vent", while there are others that say that never using will help you reach "salvation" (to each her/his own).

Another thing: do you feel comfortable when people keep cussing around you? Do you join them? Do you feel offended? Do you simply walk away? What do you do?

Tell us.

Depends entirely who I am talking to. If it's women, swearing is a terrible thing to do. Some friends I swear like a sailor around. Other friends I refrain from swearing. I also swear all the time with my dad, not so much with my mom.

Language is simply symbolic and therefore "vulgarity" is really an imaginary concept. lol
I like swearing for many reasons:
-It is often aesthetically pleasing, and adds beauty to a sentence
-Offending people is oh so funny!!
-It feels good
-As a writer/actor, it sometimes conveys more powerful emotion
-FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUU :)

Blackhawk11

one on one
Rarely. I think I've sworn 4 times ever. Only once if you don't count 'hell.' lol

They can come out when I don't think about what I'm about to say, which is usually when I'm angry. And I'm almost never angry. So, I don't swear.

BigPDaMonsta said:
Language is simply symbolic and therefore "vulgarity" is really an imaginary concept. lol
This is pretty true. I'm Christian, so since I was a little kid I was taught that swearing is terrible. I grew up not swearing because it was against my religion. Now I don't do it because I'm not used to doing it. People who swear all the time don't care, it's just another word to them.

BigPDaMonsta said:
it sometimes conveys more powerful emotion
Yeah, if I swear at somebody they know they hit a nerve lol.

If somebody swears and they're just having a conversation with me, I probably won't do anything, but if somebody insults me or one of my friends with one I'd take a bit more offense to that.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Depends on what I'm trying to say? If it's the best word to use at the moment, I'll use it. Words considered profane are often great adjectives to emphasize certain points over others.

Depends on whom I'm talking to, but yeah, I'd definitely say I use it more than most people. It's just how I talk.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Really entirely depends on who I'm talking to. I always make a point of talking formally to older folk, however with friends I'd say I swear more often then I would like.

Yeah it really depends on who I'm talking to, when I'm amongst friends I am always vulgar. Its a different story in the classroom and other related settings.

Its a different story in the classroom and other related settings.
teehee I'm lucky because my classes are very small, interactive and emotionally-based and all of my teachers encourage us to express ourselves as honestly as possible. It's really upped my enjoyment of school!!!

It really depends on who I'm talking to. Around some friends, I swear quite often, (I also share quite an odd manner of speaking with them, but that's entirely beside the point) but around important people or authority, I tone it down.

Also generally around family I tone it down unless called for.

I don't swear around my mom unless the situation actually calls for it, but around my dad and younger sister it's a fucking free for all.

I don't swear around others, I never have....it's like I have some mental barrier or something =/

But I don't mind other people doing it around me, that's just how they are.

I've never used a profanity with any of my family (unless "bugger" counts), and I pretty much only swear when I'm drunk and playing a game with some-one, who then proceeds to beat me... I have nothing against swearing at all, but the closest I usually get is "ah shhhhh". As a teacher, I don't swear at work, but when the kids swear at each other I don't do anything about it (and I pretend I don't understand if another teacher hears them and complains...)

If you tell little kids not to do it that makes it cool for them to do it. So you just let them work it out of their systems. Its their parents' job to make them not do it anyway.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Mostly when I play video games. :)
Same for me. I do it when I play poker as well - the online sites have profanity filters, but I'd swear at least once whenever my school did their monthly tournament...always over a bad beat.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm known for swearing a tad too much. I know it needs to stop, but still, hard to stop. But compared to some other people, it's not as bad. It's just a usual F word whenever I get ticked off.

For me, usually depends on the situation. I mean, off the internet, I swear very little actually, besides the occasional crap and shit. Online, I use it a bit more freely, but it's still not like every other word usage.

Hm, I make it a point to avoid using profanities for the very reason in the OP, but I'm also fairly calm and stuff doesn't irritate me that much. However, there are some times when you know... you can't really restrain yourself from firing of a round verbal nukes...

i only cuss when im alone and angry at inanimate objects. i feel uncomfortable saying bad words when talking to other people, mostly because I never have a reason to use them so I would only be cussing just for the sake of cussing which is stupid

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Simple question, simple answer. Or is it?
Yes, actually.

As far as I know, using profanity too often will get you labelled as vulgar, while using too few will give you a hard time with your mates. Especially if they are a bunch of foul-mouthed pricks.
I generally try to avoid the kind of people that would judge me for using different words than "normal" to express the same things I otherwise would be talking about (frustration, emphasis, excitement, etc). The former are more common than the latter.

I don't think the latter would give you a hard time if you never swore, but they're likely to give you a hard time if you use infantile baby talk soundalikes as drop-in replacements for swear words. I'd say they're even justified in mocking you. Words get their meaning in the context in which they are spoken, not the actual sounds that come out of your mouth, so using these soundalikes doesn't change any one bit about the offensiveness of what you're saying. Unless you're talking to the people in the first group. Which I avoid because they judge me for that reason.

Then again, there are people who claim that using profanity allows one to "vent", while there are others that say that never using will help you reach "salvation" (to each her/his own).
Say a word right now. Did that help you vent?

Now say a word people call profanity. Did that do anything else?

Didn't really think so.

They're just words.

What I don't get is that people aren't even saying the things the words are describing are "bad" or "inapporpriate". There are many "acceptable" ways to talk about defecation, sexual intercourse, or sexual organs, but if you use these different sounds it's "bad". Why?

It gets more confusing to me when you get to expletives, which can be any sound at all considering how they are defined.

Another thing: do you feel comfortable when people keep cussing around you?
If you're made uncomfortable by cussing, there's something wrong with you.

Do you join them? Do you feel offended? Do you simply walk away? What do you do?

Tell us.
I think you wrote this post assuming most readers aren't "cussers" (I don't really appreciate a somewhat derogatory label being applied to me because I use different sounds to describe the same things as you, so fuck you).

If you couldn't tell, I think society's position on curse words is ridiculous. So I use them a lot in the hopes of "desensitizing" society. I stop at words that are used to refer to a person in an extremely negative way based on their race / sexual orientation ((BAN ME PLEASE) / (BAN ME PLEASE)) because I don't insult people based on those things, but otherwise I don't exactly hold back. (if you want me to explain exactly why i don't use (BAN ME PLEASE) or (BAN ME PLEASE) i will but this post is long enough)

Disclaimer: My bitterness toward anti-cussing is brought to you by the 5 or 6 FCC violations that I would have racked up had it not been for a radio delay.

Pardon the redundancy, but I want to ask the OP something in particular.

This is pretty true. I'm Christian, so since I was a little kid I was taught that swearing is terrible. I grew up not swearing because it was against my religion.
I've got to ask where in the Bible it says you can't say shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, etc.

I almost never use profanity in front of anyone I know unless I'm extremely agitated. Even then, I don't really have much of a need for profanity anyway, since I find just using my normal vocabulary is more effective, even when I need to vehemently act for/against something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)