How Would You Change The Pokemon Game Mechanics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like any other game, I feel as though Pokemon could be improved on a number of levels. From a competitive standpoint, what aspects of Pokemon's battle system would you change and why? What would you be absolutely certain to keep?

To get the ball rolling I can start.

I would immediately change the freeze and sleep mechanics. I do not believe these are fun mechanics for either player and do not really put players in a position where they need to make interesting choices.

I would also remove critical hits. Moves already have varying power from 80% - 100% adding more random chance with move damage doesn't seem correct. Critical chances should be something that a move has as an effect, like stone edge not something that can just randomly happen on any damaging move.

Lastly, I would change how punishing it is to make a small mistake. Did you make a wrong prediction and now Garchomp can sweep your whole team after he gets a free swords dance? Too bad. There's a staggering lack of comeback mechanics and the game overall feels very punishing when a mistake is made.

What would I keep?

Well that's easy, type effectiveness. I think the extreme rock-paper-scissor mechanic Pokemon has is great! I haven't seen any other games make use of such a large effectiveness table.

What are your thoughts?

Make sure all types have a STAB move of at least 90 power on the special and physical side

It sucks that so many mons get screwed over simply because they don't have reliable high damage attack

Sun & Moon finally implemented a way to keep track of stat boosts, debuffs, invisible status conditions like confusion and stuff like that, and I'm eternally grateful for that. But it's not as good as it could be. the Showdown simulator shows how to do it correctly - have all the information I need directly on the screen, with exact numbers (Attack x2 instead of two red arrows), without me having to click on it.

I wouldn't have made a move like stealth rock which bases its damage depending on type. It's garbage. Everyone, regardless of type should take the standard damage. I always hated how a mon's viability was also dependent on how much damage they take from rocks. It also shits on the team building process as a result

Make ice an actually useful type. It can still be a mainly offensive typing but it shouldn't be useless defensively. I'd make it super effective against water, because I've never understood why that isn't a thing. Then give it fairy and ghost resists.

Lower the damage of stealth rocks. The original intent was to nerf flying types that were so strong in gen 3 because they were immune to spikes, but rocks are too easy to use for their benefit. I'd lower the damage on super effective to 18.5% and pokemon 4x weak to rocks take the same amount as those doubly weak.

Remove crits. Moves that have a high crit ratio now ignore stat changes.

Nerf sleep and freeze. Making the opponent unable to move is too strong an effect, even with all the counterplay available. Not sure how, probably just a stat reduction.

Also, I would change the damage formula so attacks across the board do less damage. Not like half, I don't everything to be an extreme stall war, but I think unboosted pokemon being able to 2hko pokemon with averageish bulk with neutral hits is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)