How you feel about the Kalos Champion

How do you feel Diantha matches up to her previous counterparts?

• Total voters
I've been grinding the E4 to train up some competitive mons, and I always get this weird feeling when battling Diantha. To me, she was predictably going to be the champion, I could easily handle her team in the final fight (Mega Blastoise w Surf, Flash Cannon + Ice beam), and she just doesn't come across as "badass" like some past champions have. Am I alone in thinking this? What are your thoughts on Diantha and the rest of the elite 4 in general?

Personally, I really like Wikstrom... Wish we could buy his clothing somewhere...

the other 3, also kind of underwhelming in my mind Drasna gets my vote for being the least weird boss trainer in the whole region though (Game freak is getting carried away with some of these costumes)

pretty much ruins the elite 4 when the champion is known across the region for being an actress more than the champion. also love nintendo trying to shoein the obvious "i bet you didnt expect me" with the character who had no purpose early in the story.

and dem eyebrows doe

Cynthia was cool, but personally I liked Blue the best- he was the original badass multi type teeeam

Although, I couldn't agree more with the belittling of being a trainer on her "off time"
Screw that chick- and she's weakest...

Oh and has a goofy costume

I liked Lance in GSC, personally. At least he got envolved in dealing with Team Rocket. Battling him as an 8 year old was tough, but now GSC is the second easiest gen (next to this one, IMO.)

The whole E4 in this game was very underwhelming. My lowest level was 68 going in, no grinding, and with no prior knowledge I only had one poke faint the whole time.

I don't even remember her from the story, and still to this day have no idea who she is and what she stands for.

I don't even remember her from the story, and still to this day have no idea who she is and what she stands for.
Haha you only meet her in cafes in Lumiose. I think Sycamore introduces her the first time as basically the most popular movie-star/celebrity in the region. The second time you see her, she's with Lysandre in a cafe (was it Lysandre's cafe?) and he comments on how it would be great to preserve her beauty forever. She responds by saying change is also good, and she looks forward to not being how she currently is as she ages. It was a mini-ideology clash.

pretty much ruins the elite 4 when the champion is known across the region for being an actress more than the champion. also love nintendo trying to shoein the obvious "i bet you didnt expect me" with the character who had no purpose early in the story.

and dem eyebrows doe
Oh arceus she looks like that chick from Arceus and the Jewel of life.

That movie was painful to watch because of her eyebrows.

But yeh, underwhelming. Iris or Steven all the way.

Haha you only meet her in cafes in Lumiose. I think Sycamore introduces her the first time as basically the most popular movie-star/celebrity in the region. The second time you see her, she's with Lysandre in a cafe (was it Lysandre's cafe?) and he comments on how it would be great to preserve her beauty forever. She responds by saying change is also good, and she looks forward to not being how she currently is as she ages. It was a mini-ideology clash.
Because of the Lumiose save glitch. I avoided that place and got in and out as fast as possible. Hmm, good to know.

Now that I think about it, I remember the whole... she wants to feel what it's like to be old, change is good.

Come on; calling her worse than WALLACE?! That's just not right. Wallace was a water-type champion. After a water-type gym. And the last 1/3rd of the game literally being nothing but water. If you couldn't handle water-types by this point, YOU WOULDN'T BE HERE. Same goes for Lance in G/S/C, by the way; with Clair and Falkner [Lance's team is; after all; all Flying types; making him a Flying type user in G/S/C, not Dragon. HG/SS fixed this with the rematch though.]

Team-wise; I actually think she's rather solid. Glotergheist is a joke, however, and seriously; we already dealt with a Hawlucha at Gym 3, even if it's a decent pokemon. Aurourus is more... Ice/Rock being bad; Tyrantrum is decent; Goodra is a legitimate threat; and Mega Gardevoir only has 3 weaknesses, two of which are not common attacking types.

Obviously they wanted to represent Gen 6 pokemon at the E4; but we could have used with ones not represented in major fights before; such as Pangoro [It's not like fossils fit a movie star any better]; rather than the fossils and Hawlucha [And even Goodra, since Shuna has one] AGAIN. The fact that the Gen6 pool was rather small doesn't help.

Another major bugbear I have is how she; and the other trainers who use Mega Evos; seem fixed into using them last. That's just weird, and limits her flexibility. There are times when Gardevoir could have come out and stopped me killing half her team with my OWN Goodra.

But come on. She's not worse than Wallace. It's still a solid fight. Could it have been better? Yes. Is it awful? No. It's not her fault that the Gen6 pool was so restricted compared to some of the stuff Cynthia had to choose from, like Togekiss; Roserade and Garchomp; [Especially as Wilkstrom took Ageislash already and Malva took Talonflame] and you can clearly see she was aimed as a hybrid of Cynthia and Steven. [Has both fossils. Has a team focused around representing her generation. Has the Pusedo-Legend. Team is diverse types; unlike Steven.]

And you lose all rights to call her easy if you used the EXP.Share; or EV-trained with Super Training [You don't EV train in-game teams...]; because that's not putting her on a level playing field with the others.

and dem eyebrows doe
When you base a region on France, you don't expect their Champion to be known for battling, do you?
Cynthia is overrated. I don't try to deny that. She also is still the best of the Pokémon Champions. Lance is the closest runner up.

I can't really comment on the battles themselves because my squad was led by Blaziken, and overpowered to the point of absurdity. Wilkstrom still gets on my nerves when grinding because his Aegis seems to have top level prediction. Diantha's always struck me as an imitation Cynthia though. She's also somehow rather boring as a champion.

Iris is still my favorite champ by a decent margin though. I found it rather impressive how she basically stepped up and made herself know as the greatest trainer in the region. Cynthia is my second fave, but damn do I hate that Togekiss of hers.

I tried my best to make sure I wouldn't know who the champion was when I started playing the game (I got the game at the midnight release but the E4 and gyms were already known thanks to the leaks.) and it was still pretty obvious that Diantha was going to be the champion. Her character was a mix of Cynthia and Blue; she's a bit overconfident and cocky ("I'm was a trainer in my off time") but she had a good heart.

Her team....sucked. Thanks to Pokemon Amie and the EXP Share mechanics changing, my weakest going into the E4 was 74 so obviously it wasn't a challenge. I don't quite understand the basis of her team. Gourguist [sp.] and Tyrantrum didn't seem like they really needed to be on her team as neither fit her personality. Auroros is a beautiful Pokemon and it was fitting to be on an actress's team. Goodra is gen 6's pseudo-legendary so I can understand it. Hawlucha is a bitch that needs to die in-game has just the right stats and moves (read: spam Swords Dance and Flying Press) to be threatening. Obviously Mega Gardevoir fits her team being a graceful ballroom dancer of destruction.

I really wish they went into her character a little more. When you first meet her, she talks about how she can't get into character while acting unless she feels a connection with said character. She could have easily brought that up again and dipped into the importance of connecting with Pokemon to grow together....instead she literally forgets who we are and then backhandedly congratulates us on beating Team Flare. I'm starting to think that Game Freak intentionally made her a bitch.

Overall, she's not the best champion, but she isn't as bad as Wallace.

She's okay. Average. Ho-hum. Vanilla, no sprinkles.

As much as I like X and Y, for the giant leaps that it took it also took a few small steps back from Black/White, particularly in the gym/Elite Four/champion battles. No personalized gym themes, no stirring music when the last Pokemon comes out, no in-match trash talk, and there's very little build-up throughout the fights. Think Aloe and her maxin' relaxin' sleep-haxin' Watchog, or Elesa and those Emolga you just wanted to strangle. The Champion battle is also a lot more straight forward than last gen, where we got a fake-out with N coupled with a legendary battle and Ghetsis swerve. Here it's just "Sup garson, remember moi?" *Le battle*. I'm also glad they gave her a mega, but that also means that her main battler also isn't even from this gen. Catch 22, but yeah.

after how challenging black/white 2 was, this gen was a real let down in terms of the main story. wayyyy too easy...I struggled in black/white 2 using a weak team as usual for the story, which never happens in pokemon even when you use the worst.

Just throwing this in. Hopefully it's in topic, as to prove Diantha's coolness. She's like the polar opposite of Cynthia, in way too many aspects.

To expand on this; she wears white, has a fairy type main (the bane of Dragons and by proxy Garchomp), has an established career that overlaps with her role as Champion, and has a knack for not assisting the hero directly.

Plus she gives you a Ralts, which is awesome. What's not to like?

Last edited:
I like her and her battle theme is kick ass and very fitting imo

Her team is composed of awesome pokemon, that being said, her team is terrible. Hawlucha is far too frail and considering she uses swords dance before attacking (at least in my experiences she did) doesn't help its fragility, Aurorus and tyrantrum are rock types 'nuff said, gorgeist...i don't know anything about it tbh since i've always managed to faint it in one hit, Goodra is good, and gardevoir is good to

she needed a steel type and a water type badly, aegislash would have been perfect but knight guy had him soo :/

The water Elite 4 guy (siebold i think???) was a pain in the ass with that gyarados using dragon dance and shit but they aren't too tough

Plus she gives you a Ralts, which is awesome. What's not to like?
Her complete lack of involvement in the story.

Most of the Champions have done something to stop the villains. She doesn't even seem to acknowledge their existence, let alone lift a finger to do anything about them. Despite Lysandre's clear and obvious insanity from his first really creepy dialogue with her.

I don't know, I haven't finished the game yet, but thus far, I am entirely unimpressed. Even Alder manned up and tried to stop the villains, even with a broken heart and his best partner dead. Lance beat up on Team Rocket several times. Cynthia apparently hunts down evildoers everywhere. Diantha...makes movies. Yay?

The Champion is supposed to be a Trainer to look up to. Not just as a goal to beat, but as a beacon for the good guys all across the region. Spreading friendship and the joy of Pokémon, and battling evildoers everywhere. Making an effort and a positive influence. Diantha, while a decent character, is not a good Champion. At least, not as far as I've gotten (I'm at the Xerneas battle).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)