ORAS OU Hula-Hoopa's Hippies

How would you rate my team?

• Total voters
The team consists of Hoopa-Unbound, Heatran, Landorus-Therian, Mega-Manectric, Azumarill, and Latios. The type coverage of the team is very good and can hit every type for super effective damage, while also being fairly balanced on it's resistances. Mega-Manectric and Heatran both share a ground weakness, but that is helped by Latios and Landorus-Therian's immunity. The weakness shared by both Latios and Hoopa-Unbound to U-Turn can be frustrating at times, but that is eased by having 3 pokemon resist bug type moves. Lastly I am slightly weak to water and ice attacks, however Latios does a decent job of checking Keldeo who was formerly a threat and other water types, and Ice attacks are quite rare and Heatran and Azumarill can absorb most attacks. For a more in depth look at my type resistances/coverage here is a link to my team on Team Magma, http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/?645|485|720u|381|310m|184

Hula-Hoopa (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyperspace Fury
- Brick Break
- Gunk Shot

This is the big dog Hula-Hoopa himself, I went with a physical set that can cause a lot of problems, as teams do not seem to expect it on my team and it is a great late game sweeper. Gunk Shot is a important coverage move to hit fairies that can give this team problems. Hyperspace Fury is used over Knock Off to help with stall that depends on Protect, and similar moves, as this team is very offensive. Brick Break provides coverage and destroying screens can come in handy. The ability of both Mega-Manectric and Landorus-Therian to Intimidate and provide switch advantage gives this set opportunity to set up, I can also set up on a revenge kill in certain situations. The EV spread provides bulk and power.

Kalamazoo (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian helps absorb the physical attacks that give Hoopa-Unbound problems, specifically U-Turn. The move set is pretty straight forward, Stone Edge gives me a way to deal with flying types that can hurt the team. Stealth Rock is useful in almost every match and my team can cause a lot of switches. Lastly U-Turn is there to provide switch advantage and keep momentum, as the team is not great at tanking hits.

Sathington Willoughby (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran has excellent synergy defensively with both Landorus-Therian and Hoopa-Unbound, with valuable resistances to Bug and Ice attacks respectively. The 3 of them combined help cover the fact my team lacks a dedicated true wall. Fire Blast is my main spamming attack. Earth Power is their to hit opposing fire types and provide coverage. Flash Cannon hits fairies hard. Lastly HP Ice helps kill those that are 4x effected, and catch teams off guard.

Iko (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is your standard Mega-Manectric. He gives me a way of dealing with flying types such as Tornadus-Therian and Mandibuzz. I normally lead with Mega-Manectric to gain momentum early on and to mega evolve. I can run into problems with pokemon who are initially faster or ground types immune to Volt Switch. After he serves his job as my lead I use him in conjunction with Landorus-Therian to annoy teams, and as a late game sweeper.

Jack Straw (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Azumarill works great with this team providing me with a reliable counter to fighting types, and hits switch ins hard with Play Rough or Waterfall. Aqua Jet gives my team some valuable priority which allows Azumarill to finish off certain opponents, and can allow Azumarill to clean up late in the match if needed. Superpower is a must to help provide coverage against walls such as Chansey. Lastly Azumarill does a great job at absorbing scarfed dragon attacks that are aimed at Latios.

Dark Star (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

This is the glue of the team and functions will with every pokemon except the star Hula-Hoopa as they share bug and fairy weaknesses. However its flaws stop there, Levitate is great at absorbing ground attacks aimed at Mega-Manectric and Heatran. Psyshock does good damage to fighting types, Venusaur and special walls. HP Fire provides coverage against steel such Skarmory. Draco Meteor hits very hard and with the Volt-Turn combo my team has it gets plenty of chances to drop the nuke. Lastly Defog is used when entry hazards get out of hand, normally I can live with Stealth Rock on the field, but if Spikes are added to the situation I will try to remove them as they can take a toll on my team with the amount of times I am switching in and out.

Last edited:
Hey cjholes, cool team. Hoopa-U + VoltTurn is a really nice strategy, but i have a few suggestions to make your team function a bit better.

For one, Trick Room Hoopa only really works on full Trick Room teams. When you have Max Speed Heatran, and speed reliant Pokemon such as Mega Manectric and Latios, your Trick Room can end up working against you in certain circumstances. Also, for future reference, you should run minus Speed natures (and 0 Speed IVs) when you're using Trick Room. So in this case, a Brave Nature would be more optimal on Hoopa than Adamant since it would make you be able to outspeed more Pokemon under Trick Room.

Towards the end of this post i'll recommend a different set for your Hoopa-U so you can cover more threats that annoy your team after I talk about some changes.

Three massive weaknesses your team has is to LO Kyurem-B, which can OHKO every single member of your team bar Hoopa-U, CB Azumarill which you have no switch-ins to bar your own Azumarill (to a small extent), and Bisharp which takes advantage of Defog Latios and your Dual Intimidate core.

To mitigate these weaknesses I'd recommend you change your Mega from Mega Manectric to Mega Scizor, which checks Kyu-B and Azumarill efficiently, and doesn't bait in Bisharp when it Defogs. This also adds another member to your VoltTurn Core, and gives an extra check to M-Metagross and DD M-Altaria which threaten your team a lot if Lando-T is weakened. Plus you get have an additional answer to Clefable, a replacement answer to Weavile, and something to check M-Diancie. I'd remove Azumarill for this slot.

As a replacement to M-Manectric as your Volt Switch user, you can run Specs Raikou which still has great firing power and maintains the ability to check Manaphy, M-Pinsir, Keldeo, and Thundurus.

Now onto the Hoopa-U set. Hippowdon, bulky steels (Skarm, Heatran, & Ferrothorn namely), and bulky waters like Seismitoad, Quagsire, and M-Swampert are Pokemon that annoy your team a bit, so I think a "lure" Hoopa-U would fit nicely on this build. Grass Knot decimates Hippowdon and bulky waters, and full special Dark Pulse obliterates Skarm which would likely switch into you assuming you're Physical, and Focus Blast does a huge chunk to Heatran and Ferrothorn, which helps open a door for Specs Raikou.

Lastly, with Defog on Scizor you can afford to run Roost on your Latios to have more longevity in your main Keldeo and Zard Y check. You can also use Healing Wish Latias if you'd like, which is helpful for bringing Hoopa-U back to full vs fat teams, or bringing your defensive pivots life again if they get too low. This change isn't very huge and it's up to you if yo want Healing Wish Latias for utility or Latios for more firing power. I'd also recommend you run 96 Speed on your Landorus-Therian so you can outspeed standard Zapdos.

In short:

Defog M-Scizor > Azumarill
Raikou > M-Manectric
LO Special Hoopa > Trick Room Hoopa
HP Fire Roost Latios / Healing Wish Latios > HP Fire Defog Latios

Sets:

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Recover

Cool team man, i hope i was able to help!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write up that response celes! You hit it on the head with my teams struggles, especially with Skarmory, Bisharp, and the bulky ground types. I am gonna go give the ideas a testing, the Trick Room Hoopa I would use like Rock Polish only in certain situations mainly late game, plenty of matches not using the move at all, but it has been able to sweep a few teams late game that save a fast powerful attacker to counter hoopa, as they are expecting a slower hoopa set (probably because my team doesn't scream trick room) than I am able to outspeed. The reason I didnt put the speed ev's down was because I do not always use the move, but a I could see a Mixed set having more utility in most cases. Anyways, I will test the changes and let you know the result! I am also going to try out the Raikou ove Manectric to allow for an extra mega slot, as I think they will function similarly, and Scizor can provide the priority I lose with Azumarill. I am nervous about losing Azumarill's ability to sponge fighting and water attacks aimed at Heatran, but hey putting recover on Latios fizes that as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)