I finally found you. (First RMT!)

Introduction:

Hello there, welcome to my first RMT! I started playing showdown like 7-8 months ago. Ever Since that moment I started playing here on showdown I developed a playstyle who likes to play a bit aggressive but with a good defensive backbone to fall back on when things turn south, also known as balanced. Sadly I’m not that great of a team builder myself. But after a long time I think I finally build a team that is solid and works really well. So without further delay I present to you my team:

The idea behind the team is wearing down the opponent’s team to the point that either one of the two sweepers of the team, being Slowking or Medicham, could clear the field. While I was building this team I took a more defensive approach, meaning I started with my defensive core first. Building the team I wanted each team member to fulfil one of the following roles; a defensive backbone(2 mons), a defensive pivot, an offensive pivot, a sweeper, and a sweeper supporter.

Teambuilding process

The keystone of this team was Calm Mind Slowking. Calm mind slowking is a pokemon who tanks a lot of attacks from the likes of mega steelix, mega glalie and common fighting type pokemons. And after 1 or 2 calm minds it is also able to tank some special attacks better and start sweeping.
Diancie was added as a special defensive wall, to have a hazard setter and cleric on the team. This addition completed the defensive backbone of the team.

So far the team showed a glaring grass weakness. That’s why bulky venusaur was added to the team to be able to pivot multiple times in to grass attacks while still being able to hit hard back. venusaur fullfilled the role of a defensive pivot

Right now half of the team was formed and seemed somewhat decent, but even though the team didn’t really hate ground type attacks. In the long run they could prove to be a problem. This is why flygon was added to the team. Offensive Flygon besides giving the team a ground imunity it also provides the team with defog support and the ability to grab or maintain momentum in a game. The offensive pivot was created.

Rght now the team doesnt seem to have a good way to deal with psychic and ghost types like hoopa, meloetta and sigilyph without getting blown back in the process itself. This is why the trapper spiritomb was added. Also spiritomb gives the team a strong priority attack in sucker punch.

With the last teamslot to be filled the team lacks some speed and a decent sweeper/ revengekiller. My preference went to a scarfer with a strong stab attack. With the previous slot being filled by spiritomb, a mon who is able to trap and get rid of psychic and ghost types, it came to my mind to add scarfed medicham. Medicham is able to act as a sweeper and a revenge killer with a scarf while still have enough power with its ability backing it up. The sweeper and the sweeper supporter were created.

In depth analysis

King Aloha (Slowking) Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Scald​

Slowking’s incredible bulk and reliable recovery in Slack of and Regenerator lets it check a large amount of the phletora of offensive threats that lurk in the RU tier such as Fletchinder, Mega Steelix and almost every Fighting type pokemon. The EV spread maximizes the physical bulk of Slowking while 8 EV’s are allocated to speed in order to outspeed pokemon with a basespeed of 30, like Amoongus. 0 atk IV’s were choosen to minimize the damage output of an opposing Foulplay.

Calm Mind can turn Slowking in a solid win condition being able to tank even super effective attacks after a few Calm Minds. Scald is a strong Water-STAB with a “reliable” chance of burning the opponent. Psyshock was chosen over Psychic in order to hit on both side of the defensive spectrum. It also makes Grass/Poison types like Amoongus and Venusaur think twice before switching in.

Charlotte (Diancie) Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast​

Diancie was added to finish of the defensive core. Diancie fullfils a lot of roles on the team; It’s the team member who is supposed to sponge most of the special hits fired at the team. She is the one who sets up rocks on the field. She is my seconday Fletch check outside of Slowking. And possible most important Diancie is the cleric of the team. Heal bell gives the teammembers a second chance, wheter its Slowking being toxiced or Medicham being burned. Besides this all it complements both sweepers of the team. Diancie gets rid of Scrafty and Houndoom for Slowking. And she’s beats/ weakens down Flying types for Medicham. This is why respectively STAB Moonblast and Diamond Storm are choosen. The Quiet nature gives Diancie a little boost to her Moonblast. With this boost Diancie is capable to 2hko SD Drapion. Moonblast will have a 75% chance of ohko’ing Flygon this helps especially versus a special Flygon as diancie can take an earth power much better. Altho Exploud could hit me harder now, but with rocks up the boosted Moonblast will have a 87% chance of it being a 2hko instead of 5.1%.

Mataroku (Venusaur) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 92 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off​

Since Venusaur dropped it made a huge impact on the RU tier with only a handfull of mons being able to counter its fully offensive set. But for this team I diverted from the mainstream set and went for a EV spread EonX (Shoutout!) came up with for his own team. The reason for this spread was because for this team Venusaur would act as a defensive pivot for alot of grass types attacks. The team needed it to be a bit bulkier but not lose too much of its offensive presence. With this spread its able to take 35%-ish from Sludge Bomb from an offensive Tangrowth and being able to ohko it back with a Sludge Bomb. This amount of special attack investment also alows Venusaur to 2hko Alomomola after Stealth Rocks and Leftovers with Giga Drain. The speed investment puts Venusaur in the speed tier just above modest specs Exploud and outspeeding threats like Adamant Emboar. Black Sludge was chosen over Lefties to punish of some Trick/Magician shenanigans The moveset, apart from Knock Off, is pretty standard. Synthesis and Giga Drain to maximize the longevity in the battle. Sludge Bomb as a powerfull stab and an answer to Fairys. Knock Off was choosen to punish incoming Psychic types like Meloetta and Sigilyph to get rid of their precious item and making them less of a threath.

Goggles (Flygon) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake​

Flygon is one of the most used Pokémon in RU. It’s very versatile and because of that it’s very easy to slap on a team. For my team I went with a standard physical offensive Flygon set with the exception of running Earth Plate over Lefties/Life Orb. Why Earth Plate? Well Flygon is a mon which I want to use as an offensive pivot who gains momentum and is still able to hit hard. With an Earth Plate I have a stab Earthquake with the same basepower of an Outrage but without any drawbacks of life orb recoil or being locked in while still being able to bluff the Choice Band. For example with 10% chip damage on Mega Steelix Earthquake will be a 2hko. U- Turn was chosen to gain momentum and Defog gives the team hazard removal. Outrage is chosen to hit opposing Pokémon that are immune to Earthquake and U-Turn is not the best play.

going somewhere?? (Spiritomb) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Foul Play​

With the rise of Hoopa and the already threatening Meloetta and Sigilyph in the tier, Pursuit has become a really powerful move in the tier. Seeing my team not really having an answer to those Pokémon and being hurt a lot by Sub Calm Cind Meloetta or Sub Hoopa, I added Spiritomb to the team to give me an answer for these kind of threats. The combination of Pursuit and Sucker Punch is able to trap almost any psychic or ghost types and get rid of them or weaken them to the point other team-members will be able to finish off the job. Infiltrator was chosen over Pressure because this lets me hit Pokémon behind the sub or punish the likes of Sub BU Braviary with a Will-O-Wisp. Blackglasses and max attack EV’s and Adamant nature maximizes the damage output of Spiritomb. The 52 EV’s invested in speed are to speed creep standard lix and burn it before it attacks. That way Heavy Slam will do max around 33%.

Shivu (Medicham) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Trick​

Medicham has the amazing ability Pure Power that doubles it attack stat to an amazing 438 stat. This makes its High Jump Kick to be a real hard hitter and get some important ko’s while its sweeping. Adding a Choice Scarf gives the speed stat a boost making it able to out speed most of the tier and heavy threats like scarf Tyrantrum. The EV spread is pretty standard for a scarfed Medicham 252 Attack EV’s are to maximize the damage output while Jolly 252 speed EV’s make sure it will out speed most of the tier with the boost Choice Scarf gives it. High jump kick is the strongest STAB move Medicham has and probably the most spammed attack when Spiritomb has gotten rid of all the ghost types and psychic types like Sigilyph. Zen Headbut is the other STAB attacking move which, although is less stronger than High Jump Kick, still hits hard and has a nifty 30% chance of flinching which could come in handy. Thunder Punch was chosen to be able to hit Flying types and bulky Waters like Alomomola and Slowking who are able to either tank the other stab moves or punish a High Jump Kick with a Protect. In the 4th moveslot Trick was chosen to be able to stop stall mons which could prove to be a problem for the team. It also is a last ditch attempt to a stop a mon from boosting up by choice-locking the opponent in a non-attacking move

Conclusion:

So this is my team. So far it has been pretty consistent on the ladder and tournaments( I know they don’t mean a lot in the ru room… but stil! :P).The team has of course its flaws and threats. For example Sub BU breviary. If you let that monster set up to many bulk ups, without punishing it off with a Will-O-Wisp early on, the team’s chances of winning the game will be very low. Taunt WOW hex recovery special defensive Jellicent has proven to be a problem. Spiritomb just lacks the power to severly damage that pokemon and Venusaur’s Giga Drain does only 37%. The way I have dealt with Jellicent was letting Medicham get burned and Trick the Choice Scarf on Jellicent and Heal Bell the burn of later in the game.
Either way right now i think that i have found the the solid team i've been searching for a long time

Anyways I really hope you enjoyed my first RMT! And I’ll look forward to the suggestions you as a rater have to give to me.

Also a few shoutouts to:
drapionswing for helping out during the teambuilding and the writing process of this RMT
Flow117 for trying out this team and letting me watch and rate from a different perspective :)
and all my friends on showdown and the RU community

Here is the pastebin of the team:

King Aloha (Slowking) @ Leftovers

Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Scald

Charlotte (Diancie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast

Mataroku (Venusaur) @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

going somewhere?? (Spiritomb) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Foul Play

Flygon @ Earth Plate
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Shivu (Medicham) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Trick

Last edited:

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
V standard stuff and a minor nitpick of mine would be roost > outrage for a bit of longevity and so you can actually stick around to defog if necessary n_n

Edit: below lol I still stick by above roost promotes longevity. I guess I'll go into a bit of detail.. I chose roost over outrage bc outrage was the least effective move imo. U turn could also be switched but u turn works with the team and eq stays bc earth plate. Idk about the other rates any who enjoy!

Last edited:
Hey, man! Nice team I really like calm mind slowking and think it should be used more. Also really like the unique Venusaur spread as it provides a nice Virizion check and also deviates from the standard life orb spread I see so much. I have some recommendations to help you with your team.

Dark types are currently very prominent in the tier and can be seen as very threatening. Dark types range from mons like Sneasel, Drapion, Absol and even Malamar with the recent durant ban. Therefore I would recommend Colbur Berry > Leftovers Slowking. Although slowking appreciates gradual recovery, it has two forms of recovery in regenerator + slack off and colbur berry can be seen as more advantageous because you can stay in on these dark types, as most are physical, and fish for the burn with scald or even try to get off damage. Special dark attackers, although rare, can be damaged severely with scald as the only relevant one is houndoom. After the colbur is gone, you are left itemless, which severely reduces the power of knock off. Although you may see diancie as a fair check to this dark types many run iron tail as a lure and furthermore diancie very much appreciates it's leftovers recovery as it has no other form of recovery and it is needed to have longetivity during the match for purposes of healing status, getting up hazards, and checking mons like fletch.

Next, I would recommend a move change on your flygon. As your only form of hazard removal is it important to keep this mon safe throughout the majority of the match due to its necessity. Outrage is a move that, although powerful, will lock your flygon in and the tier has many things that can take advantage of this once it occurs such as the many abundant fairy types like diancie and aromatisse and steel types like mega steelix. These mons will easily get rid of this important piece to your team and this is why I am recommending Dragon Claw > Outrage on Flygon. Although a weaker choice this allows you not to get locked in and sac your Flygon early on, as earth plate earthquake will be your most spammable move of choice. Dragon claw can damage mons that levitate such as Sigilyph, Eelektross, Fletchinder without fear of the opponent switching out to a counter. In this regard, base damage may be lost, however you have many counters to the flying Pokemon in this tier through defensive mons like diancie and slowking.

I feel like this team would benefit with sleep powder > knock off on Venusaur as this can help with the threat of Jellicent that you listed at the bottom by putting it to sleep and giga draining. You can also put to sleep mons that resist Venusaur's stabs that come in as knock off will not be doing a lot to opposing mons (due to modest nature + 0 atk evs) and you already have solid answers to prominent venusaur answers; registeel in flygon and golbat in diancie. Overall sleep powder can also give great assistance to other mons such as slowking as it can allow it to set up, allow flygon to get up a defog, or allow diance to get up hazards.

Finally an optional change I would recommend is rhyperior > diancie. The primary purpose of this is the lack of the tyrantrum switch in as your rock resist consists of flygon + medicham which are both damaged severely by outrage and scarf tyrantrum has the possibility to 2HKO slowking. Rhyperior's stats + typing allow for it take very little from head smash and outrage. Although this removes the possibility of heal bell with dancie I would still try it as tyrantrum is a top tier threat in this tier. This mon still checks an assortment or mons like fletchinder, braviary, and also packs a fire resist that mega steelix lacks while still retaining the ability to get up stealth rocks. Your team has a nice status absorber in Venusaur which does not mind burns that much and can synthesis damage + recover with black sludge so this can definitely be a potential option. I would run ice punch > roar as compared to the smogon set so flygon can't switch in for free and defog or earth power.

Slowking @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Flygon @ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

and optionally..

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 232 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

hope I helped, and again, nice team!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys! As of right now I have played a few games with some of the suggestions (colbur berry slowking, sleep powder venusaur and roost/dragon claw flygon). I still need to try out rhyperior but I feel the heal bell support and the special walling capabilities of Diancie are too valuable for the team. Also Diancie is one of my main answers to RestTalk malamar. Without it my best answer is tricking a choice scarf on it and hope it doesnt have too many boosts already...
Besides that I really like all the suggestions you guys gave me. Roost and Dragon Claw each have their own usefulness, but im leaning towards Dragon Claw due to flygon being my offensive pivot.
Sleep powder is a great addition (if it hits...) In the replay below it has proven to be able to shutdown meloetta and letting spiritomb to kill it off practically for free.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-368366924
although I wasn't a fan of type resisting berries, I sure am now. The colbur berry came in clutch in the following replay.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-368789770

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)