Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

Main physical attacker. I know that special is how nidoking is normally built but I like the physical moves it gets and it checks a lot of pokemon with sticky webs up like azumarill with poison jab. Also covers ferrothorn (and every steel) with fire punch. If it can live a hit or catch gliscor or languorous therian also then its doing its job. It has to stay life orb though to have that extra bit of power along with sheer force.

:sm/medicham-mega:
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

Chip damage/ clean up. Pure power fake out gets chip when masquerain is KO'd or a switch happens. Sticky webs up also lets it outspeed a great deal of pokemon and if need be, setting up with a few power up punches can let bullet punch clean. Psycho cut to maximize on physical attack covers a lot of neutral damage on pokemon and I like the dual fighting psychic type over mega lopunny for slightly better bulk.

:sm/masquerain:
Masquerain @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Sticky Web
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz

Dedicated lead. Sticky webs I think is a really cool entry hazard that lets nidoking outspeed a lot of set up sweepers that need a turn before they can set up and sweep. I have quiver dance on for when another hazard setter like mew is setting up or defogging and masquerain can get a few dances up, lose the focus sash, but by then it can out speed and hopefully get a kill or at least good chip. Intimidate is also really good.

:sm/ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

Defensive wall. Of course i have to have ferrothorn, what team is complete without one. Acts as ash gren check and fairy. Also has knock off to slow down other stall tanks and stealth rocks if i need extra entry hazard chip. leftovers along with leech seed allows it to heal any major damage and also covers if knock of gets rid of leftovers. Power whip is good (as long as it hits) for any greninja that try to stay in or other chip.

:sm/rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Special wall. Natural physical bulk kind of rounds out room wash well as it can take hawlucha pretty well, get a burn with will wisp, and volt switch out. It's great along with ferro for iron barb chip and hurting physical threats. Levitate also lets it come into gliscor's earthquake and hopefully get a hydro pump on anything that can switch in. Then defog if hazards stack up.

:sm/blacephalon:
Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Fire Blast
- Trick

Special Sweeper. Helps cover steels if nidoking is down. The choice scarf I think is necessary, it can catch a lot of pokemon on the switch with massive special attack and can easily sweep with beast boost overwhelming teams. I mostly use fire blast with this as even if a pokemon resists, it can still do good damage and shadow ball just covers psychics with hidden power electric for any waters trying to switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

edit: opened

Last edited:

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I'm going to list some issues I have with the sets, because there are some things I take issue with on this team.

1. Nidoking: Physical Nidoking is only okay imo. One of its biggest weaknesses especially in OU is the abundance of Intimidate mons -- pre-mega'd Mawile and Gyarados and ESPECIALLY Lando -- and while SFLO (Sheer Force Life Orb) kind of mitigates that, it's also better to just not have to worry about it by going full special. Ice Beam and Fire Blast are both stronger options than the elemental punches, and none of the special set's moves would make you take LO damage (EQ doesn't have a secondary effect, of course).

2. Medicham: Forgive me for saying so, but this set is bad. BP over Ice Punch is excusable depending on the rest of your team comp, but your STAB choices are suboptimal. Psycho Cut should be changed to Zen Headbutt for the sake of extra power. Power-up Punch is a waste of a moveslot for Medi; it's painfully weak as your only Fighting STAB, and Medi has no need for boosting its Attack when it has Huge Power. If you want a setup sweeper with the same STAB coverage, run Gallade.

3. Masquerain: Ribombee and Araquanid are strictly better as Sticky Web users, in large part because of their abilities. Araquanid hits harder without a boost thanks to Liquidation Water Bubble (though I think Ribombee would too), and Shield Dust makes it so Ribombee can't be flinched by Fake Out. Both of them also have utility beyond setting the webs up -- Ribombee can use Stun Spore and Araquanid has Mirror Coat or Magic Coat -- which that Masquerain set does not have. Granted, you would lose a Ground immunity, but you have Rotom anyway.

4. Ferrothorn and Rotom: Firstly, I want to address something you said in your Rotom description: its natural physical bulk absolutely DOES NOT help it against Hawlucha. +2 HJK is a guaranteed OHKO on your spread, whereas it will never OHKO standard Rotom without chip damage. I'm also lumping these two together for a simple reason: your lack of a Dark resist (and having these as your Gren answers) is accentuated by the EV spreads you chose. Each of them can only safely switch in on a Dark Pulse once, since it's either likely or guaranteed to 3HKO both spreads; after that, the risk of a flinch is too big a concern. And keep in mind that's BEFORE the Gren transforms, so you'll take even more if you allowed it to get a kill for some reason. Based on everything I discussed, you should change their sets to the standard spreads to better equip yourself for the threats I mentioned. Also, as one last thing, Wiki Berry is probably better for Rotom if you're running Defog. Lefties is better suited to a set with Pain Split.

5. Blacephalon: This set is almost fine, but I have to ask…why HP Electric? I don't think it covers much for you. If you want a Hidden Power at all, HP Fighting would be strictly better as a way of surprising Ttar or Heatran on the switch.

Thanks for the tips, i changed medichams moves to ice punch, zen headbutt, drain punch, and fake out. I also gave blacephalon hp grass to cover gren.

Hi the_not_gamer, Sticky Web is a pretty underrepresented offensive nieche these days, so I'll give you kudos for building one.
And to get my personal bias out of the way, I don't think that Nidoking is too good in the current state of the meta, it is one of these Pokemon that 6-0 a team in theory, but never actually find the time to pull the trigger.

1. physical -> special Nidoking
Physical Nidoking is worse than special Nidoking because its moves' basepowers are lower and its increased physical prowess can't substitute that. Also, this team's breaker core is 100% roadblocked by Skarmory with no hopes of breaking it outside of Blacephalon (which is tremendously weak to hazards) and possibly Rotom-Wash. Running a special set completely mitigates that huge problem.

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

2. Bullet Punch -> High Jump Kick + Power-Up Punch -> Ice Punch on Mega Medicham
The set you provided completely counteracts Medicham's nature as a state-of-the-art breaker by trying to let it perform as a cleaner, which made the team a lot weaker overall. That problem has been swiftly fixed once it was equipped with the tools it needs to do its job.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

3. Masquerain -> Ribombee
Sticky Web already suffers greatly from its bad Sticky Web setters which let the playstyle be only borderline viable. Not even the nieche Trick Room has that problem, Masquerain is not considered to be a viable Sticky Web setter in OU and for good reason, as it gets completely outclassed by Ribombee, Araquanid and even Shuckle. But only Ribombee and Araquanid are viable choices on this build, as Shuckle only works on HO, I've went the Ribombee route because I consider Stun Spore support to be of much more value than pro-HO Magic Coat and a strong mono attacking move in Liquidation.

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Quiver Dance
- Stun Spore

4. Power Whip -> Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn
One thing out of the way: your EV spread is completely off. A dedicated SpD spread would let it do what it's tasked for here. Knock Off is a really nice option on more balanced builds where Ferrothorn acts as utility support and defensive glue, it lets it knock off important items mid-game to soften up the late-game. However, the move up to debate is never Gyro Ball, at least not in OU.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off

5. Hidden Power [Electric] -> Flamethrower on Blacephalon
Blacephalon doesn't need HP coverage as it won't do anything to its counters anyway and having a fire type move that can't miss is just way more valuable.

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Trick

P.S.: The amendments I did to the team are nothing but a bandaid over a cleaving wound. I don't want to come across as overly rude, but this team utilizes almost nothing that makes Sticky Web viable in the first place (i.e. Serperior, Bisharp, etc.), the pacing is really off with too much stuff sapping momentum and a fundamental re-structure might be recommended.

Last edited:
i did change nidoking to special but one thing i did like about its physical set is that it can knockout toxapex, and just an idea that i had to boost nidoking a bit more is to run him on sand so he can take a hit.

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
i did change nidoking to special but one thing i did like about its physical set is that it can knockout toxapex, and just an idea that i had to boost nidoking a bit more is to run him on sand so he can take a hit.
Sand does jack shit for Ground types; it doesn’t give you a SpDef boost unless you’re a Rock-type

Sand does jack shit for Ground types; it doesn’t give you a SpDef boost unless you’re a Rock-type
language
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 211-250 (69.4 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Nidoking Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 250-296 (82.2 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

The damage discrepancy is neglegable, note that "The Pex" is a completely specially defensive set and most Toxapexes love to run a physical-special mix.
As ScalchopFren pointed out, sand's only effect aside from its chip damage on non ground/rock/steel/Sand Rush/Sand Force/Sand Veil type/ability owners is boosting rock type's special defense x1.5.

i swapped rotom w for tapu fini so that i have a better gren check, that also allowed me to replace power whip with gyro ball on ferrothorn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)