SS OU I need MAJOR help with my first OU team. What can I do to improve this?

This is a balanced offense team (or at least that's what I'm trying to do). I didn't use any of the standard move sets for these pokemon - I just did what I thought was best. I don't fully understand teambuilding yet, and I don't really know how I can have synergy between two or more pokemon. Clearly my team isn't good enough, because I can't even get above 1100. But maybe I'm just bad at using it. Also, I used the Smogon Analysis for most of these EV spreads and natures.

Garchomp @ Expert Belt
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Brick Break

Not much to say here - fast physical sweeper with swords dance. It's super fun to use and shreds through everything.

Regieleki @ Mago Berry
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Cage
- Volt Switch

I wanted a pokemon that could set up screens and then switch out immediately. It's a better alternative to a move like Explosion in my opinion (probably a bad opinion) though because then I can at least use a sixth pokemon in my party for something other than screens. I didn't invest in the defense department because it sets up screens.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 220 Def
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Liquidation
- Toxic Spikes

I use it for pivot (it has regenerator so that's great) and toxic stalling. Originally I had block instead of liquidation, but I gave it liquidation because I was often running into steel types when this was my last mon. Hence, the slight investment in attack EVs.

Tapu Lele @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonblast

Just your average fast special sweeper. Originally I was planning to have this be super specially defensive, but I looked at the metagame a bit more closely and realized that this mon was definitely best for sweeping (or at least hitting hard). Maybe I could try the defensive thing though.

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Quiver Dance

I wanted this to be what Tapu Lele wasn't - a bulky special sweeper. It doesn't get OHKO'd due to the HP, and I've had great success with it. I gave it the boots because I was running into problems with stealth rock.

Hawlucha @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Bulk Up

There's probably a better alternative to this mon for just another fast physical sweeper, but I like Hawlucha and Kartana's a bit frail. I would be more than open to change with this mon though.

The problems:
I have a lot of problems with Clefable, because my team doesn't really have a good answer to fairy types. Volcarona's pretty good against it, but if that's dead, then I'm screwed. Even if I burn it with will-o-wisp or give it some other status effect, it doesn't matter because pretty much every Clefable in the metagame has Magic Guard. I also run into a lot of problems with Corviknight due to it's typing and bulk. Volcarona's weak to flying, and Regieleki dies if it gets hit (unless it can set up screens).

So yeah - that's my first OU team. Hope you can give me some tips.

Last edited:
I want to change your team to hyper offense, it is the fastest way to boost your ELO

1. Keep Garchomp as your main attacker with minor change
Expert Belt --> Life Orb
- Outrage --> Scale Shot
- Brick Break --> Stone Edge

2. Change Regieleki with Tapu Koko, you need it to synergyze with Hawlucha
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- U-turn

3. Change Toxapex with Landorus, you don't need stall mon, go all out offense, make it suicide lead
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

4. Change Tapu Lele with Azumarill, you need a strong wallbreaker
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

5. Keep volcarona with medium change
Ability: Swarm --> Flame Body
EVs: 156 HP --> 4 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe --> 252Spe
Nature: Modest --> Timid
- Overheat --> Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp --> Psychic

6. Keep Hawlucha with major change
@ Iapapa Berry --> electric Seed
Ability: Limber --> Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD --> 36 SpD / 252 Spe --> 124 Spe / 96 HP
Nature: Jolly --> Adamant
- Brave Bird --> Acrobatics
- U-turn --> Stone Edge
- Bulk Up --> Swords Dance

Basic Strategy :
1. Lead with landorus to setup rocks and deal damage as much as possible until he die
2. Use tapu koko to setup electric terrain and screen if necessary
3. Bring Hawlucha via u-turn or hard switch
4. Hawlucha use Swords Dance
5. Sweep entire enemy with Hawlucha
6. Cleanup the remaining enemy with 3 of your other Sweeper

It can make you at least going to 1400 ladder

- Here's the pokepast update : https://pokepast.es/05b515efe0eb46a7
- Here's the sample of replay using this team : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1311693091-1x293i9l3tiz6ihbl4fki0a3aikjfuwpw

I hope this update helpful for you

I want to change your team to hyper offense, it is the fastest way to boost your ELO

Expert Belt --> Life Orb
- Outrage --> Scale Shot

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- U-turn

3. Change Toxapex with Landorus, you don't need stall mon, go all out offense, make it suicide lead
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

- U-turn --> Stone Edge

Basic Strategy :
1. Lead with landorus to setup rocks and deal damage as much as possible until he die

- Here's the sample of replay using this team : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1311693091-1x293i9l3tiz6ihbl4fki0a3aikjfuwpw

Thanks - I'll give it a shot!

Nice team! I suggest using sprites when making the RMT, it gives us an visual. :ss/garchomp: Other than that below are some changes you might want to think about.

- For Lele try using specs over the berry, then it will be a really strong threat.
- Using Overheat as a move for Volcarona is kind of dangerous, because if that think misses ( which in my case happens alot lol ) you will be KO'd. Also since you already have Flame Body you don't need Wisp because Volcarona is often threatened by strong attackers with moves like stone edge.
- Regieleki needs to have Light Clay so that your screens last longer. And maybe replace Thunder Cage with Explosion because Regieleki is not used for attacking, but providing your teammates for the opportunity to strike.
- For Garchomp, it's a good set but the item it is holding should be either Rocky Helmet or Life Orb.

Other than that I don't really see anything you need to change. Good luck climbing the ladder! :)

Expert Belt --> Life Orb
- Outrage --> Scale Shot

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

- U-turn --> Stone Edge

Basic Strategy :

Big Brain man

Nice team! I suggest using sprites when making the RMT, it gives us an visual. :ss/garchomp: Other than that below are some changes you might want to think about.

- For Lele try using specs over the berry, then it will be a really strong threat.
- Using Overheat as a move for Volcarona is kind of dangerous, because if that think misses ( which in my case happens alot lol ) you will be KO'd. Also since you already have Flame Body you don't need Wisp because Volcarona is often threatened by strong attackers with moves like stone edge.
- Regieleki needs to have Light Clay so that your screens last longer. And maybe replace Thunder Cage with Explosion because Regieleki is not used for attacking, but providing your teammates for the opportunity to strike.
- For Garchomp, it's a good set but the item it is holding should be either Rocky Helmet or Life Orb.

Other than that I don't really see anything you need to change. Good luck climbing the ladder! :)
Sorry about the sprites - I don't really know how to add them. Could you tell me how? Sry if this is a dumb question. Also thx for the feedback - I already followed buayagator's advice but when I make another team I'll definitely take those points into consideration.

\
Sorry about the sprites - I don't really know how to add them. Could you tell me how? Sry if this is a dumb question. Also thx for the feedback - I already followed buayagator's advice but when I make another team I'll definitely take those points into consideration.
right so for sprites you use :pokemon-name: such as your volcarona :volcarona: but that sprite is small. If you want a larger one use :ss/pokemon-name: like :ss/volcarona:

Update - I peaked at 1380 today, but that's the highest I've ever been. I realized that Azumarill :azumarill: isn't exactly putting in a lot of work for the team, and I was wondering if I could swap that mon out. I've been having a lot of trouble with setting up belly drum due to it's speed, and even when I do, it isn't really getting that many KOs. However, since I'm still not very good at team-building, I have no idea which mon to replace it with. Could someone please tell me what would work with the rest of my team? Also, I've been having a lot of issues with dragapult :dragapult:, so if a fitting mon could be a counter to that, that would be great. Thanks for all the help so far!

Update - I peaked at 1380 today, but that's the highest I've ever been. I realized that Azumarill :azumarill: isn't exactly putting in a lot of work for the team, and I was wondering if I could swap that mon out. I've been having a lot of trouble with setting up belly drum due to it's speed, and even when I do, it isn't really getting that many KOs. However, since I'm still not very good at team-building, I have no idea which mon to replace it with. Could someone please tell me what would work with the rest of my team? Also, I've been having a lot of issues with dragapult :dragapult:, so if a fitting mon could be a counter to that, that would be great. Thanks for all the help so far!
congratz, you almost make it to 1400.

yeah, azumarill is the slowest compared to the other sweeper. If you have a problem with dragapult، you can hard switch azu hoping it click dragon type attack (spec shadow ball can 2HKO azu). Since aqua jet is only 40bp, it can't OHKO fast mon that resist it even after belly drum boost.

But if you need a replacement, try bisharp. Its typing resist both of d'pult stab. And its defiant ability is very helpful againts defogger because the evasion drop gain him +2 attack

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

I prefer blackglasses over life orb because it don't have 1/10 recoil damage every attack

congratz, you almost make it to 1400.

yeah, azumarill is the slowest compared to the other sweeper. If you have a problem with dragapult، you can hard switch azu hoping it click dragon type attack (spec shadow ball can 2HKO azu). Since aqua jet is only 40bp, it can't OHKO fast mon that resist it even after belly drum boost.

But if you need a replacement, try bisharp. Its typing resist both of d'pult stab. And its defiant ability is very helpful againts defogger because the evasion drop gain him +2 attack

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

I prefer blackglasses over life orb because it don't have 1/10 recoil damage every attack
Thank you so much - I’ll try it as soon as I can!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)