I Need Your Help w/ a Lavos Video Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I’m an incredibly small content creator who just recently figured out the Lavos vs. McMeghan fight (and the accompanying forum post) exist, and since then it’s kind of consumed me lmao

I really wanna do a video essay on Lavos because the overly-melodramatic post along with his presence in the community shows that there’s a really interesting story to be told here. The problem is, I’ve never really interacted with anything Smogon related aside from the competitive pages and stuff until, like, yesterday. The fact that I have about ten years’ worth of posts to comb through is kind of overwhelming, and I figured turning to the users of Smogon would at least help me get oriented.

So, what can you all tell me about Lavos? How did he do in tournaments? How’d he act in them? On forum posts? What was your general vibe of him? I know how his story on Smogon ends and I know a bit about how it begins. I just need to figure out what all comes in-between. Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Also, I know this is technically “on-topic” for Smogon. If this isn’t where this sort of post is meant to go, I’m sorry. Again, I’m new here. Just lemme know where it’s supposed to go and I’ll be on my way :)

that's adorable

ok i've taken a shine to you and have decided to help you out

to really understand lavos you have to understand smogon, and to understand smogon you have to understand who "todd bonzalez" is

i'd start your search there
I have no idea if that’s an actual guy or an inside joke, but you obviously know what you’re talking about so I’m sure that’ll be helpful. Thank you very much :)

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
How did he do in tournaments?
Lavos is commonly considered to be one of the greatest Pokemon players of all time, once going 12-1 in in SPL, which is one of the most prestigious competitive events. You'll see his name a lot here too. His tournament impact is matched by very, very few people. He was primarily a GSC player and he succeeded with many a team, defining an era. He was always a passionate player, not just competing, but contributing to stuff like analyses too, especially when BW was current-gen. He was a hotheaded player near the start of his time on the site and I believe that led to him being scorned for a very long time, despite some improvements in behaviour down the line.

It's hard to put his legacy into words, but there's an interview he had with Callous after being banned.
There seems to be this, too.

I'm assuming you're making this video because of temp's thing that came up 2 weeks ago. I'll say this: it's...pretty distasteful. It really wasn't just "salt", there were a lot of layers to what happened. Yeah, the competitive Pokemon player got mad, but like, that's what's gonna happen in a tournament with stakes that high when everything suddenly went wrong despite the optimal plays being made. It was just sad, and what happened after was even sadder. The thing is, everyone just kind of proved his point after he quit.

From what I remember, what actually got Lavos banned was racism, but I haven't actually seen what did the deed. You may have to go digging for that if you want to go into the finer details, it's pretty damn difficult to get perma'd in this site.

Lavos is commonly considered to be one of the greatest Pokemon players of all time, once going 12-1 in in SPL, which is one of the most prestigious competitive events. You'll see his name a lot here too. His tournament impact is matched by very, very few people. He was primarily a GSC player and he succeeded with many a team, defining an era. He was always a passionate player, not just competing, but contributing to stuff like analyses too, especially when BW was current-gen. He was a hotheaded player near the start of his time on the site and I believe that led to him being scorned for a very long time, despite some improvements in behaviour down the line.

It's hard to put his legacy into words, but there's an interview he had with Callous after being banned.
There seems to be this, too.

I'm assuming you're making this video because of temp's thing that came up 2 weeks ago. I'll say this: it's...pretty distasteful. It really wasn't just "salt", there were a lot of layers to what happened. Yeah, the competitive Pokemon player got mad, but like, that's what's gonna happen in a tournament with stakes that high when everything suddenly went wrong despite the optimal plays being made. It was just sad, and what happened after was even sadder. The thing is, everyone just kind of proved his point after he quit.

From what I remember, what actually got Lavos banned was racism, but I haven't actually seen what did the deed. You may have to go digging for that if you want to go into the finer details, it's pretty damn difficult to get perma'd in this site.
Ok wow. This helps a lot, thanks for giving me so much to chew on. But yeah, Temp is who made me aware of this, but that’s all I really plan on crediting him for. I know he tends to slant things, so I don’t intend to take his Lavos video as gospel. A cursory glance at the whole situation will tell you that there are layers to this and that Lavos wasn’t just an edgy asshole, and again, that’s why I wanna make this video. A wider audience has just been exposed to that battle, but they aren’t getting the whole story, which I’m beginning to see is way more interesting than the just battle itself.

Last edited:
what specifically have you been searching for
I’ve pretty much just looked up “Whydon drama,” which brought up an article about some controversy that cropped up during one of the SPLs (apparently a 700-turn match happened; crazy stuff) which was a fun read, but not really what I was looking for. Next I looked up “Whydon” and “Lavos” as keywords, but as far as I could tell that just brought up registrations for tourneys they’ve both been a part of.

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hey, the mod team has decided to lock this thread.

Just by the nature of what this post is about it's focused on cross site drama, which isn't something we allow in general.

Beyond that, in this case there's gonna be a lot of hearsay about reasons for a ban or reasons for this or for that, which isn't very productive and isn't something that's right for Smogoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)