I retire my Dugtrio teams here

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Hello everyone, I thought about making this thread after Dugtrio's ban's announcement, and since I am out of BW Cup, I have no reason to keep those things for myself. It's also a good occasion to showcase some of my favorite BW teams ever made/used. In this thread, I will post some quick opinions/thoughts about Dugtrio and Diglett and I will present my BW2OU teams that featured the mole.

To start things off, I want to say that I've been a big Dugtrio fan in BW for the longest time. I had great results using Dugtrio stalls (sand/rain/sun combined) in BW1, Dugtrio Suns in both BW1 & the current tier and just trying this Pokemon on various teams across the tier/metagame shifts. I don't think I have to explain why Dugtrio deserves to be used here, it's pretty clear what it can do (or could do rather). The ability to remove some top tiers rather easily allowed for some unique playstyles/strategies to work.

Regarding the recent tiering decision, I've voted ban because I felt that Dugtrio teams, Suns in particular, made building particulary obnoxious and removed a lot of options from the pools when it comes to playstyles available (that is, if you wished to remain competitive vs the rest of the meta). Pretty subjective, but at the end of the day, tiering is entirely subjective, so deal with it.

Finally, I'd like to say that Diglett definitely has potential to replace Dugtrio on some teams. It'll limit its user's options as it's obviously not as good as Dugtrio, but it will work in the right team, and I think it's only a matter of time before it gets the boot too (too bad we'll probably have to deal with the same "issues" we've just dealt with again before this happens probably).

And now, the teams (EVs have been changed to not show how much I like to speedcreep on my stuff).

-------------------------------------

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 16 SpA / 112 SpD
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

Dugtrio (M) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Endure
- Reversal

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Calm Mind

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Spikes

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This team was used in ST20's Playoffs vs PDC and the first BW Cup vs tele with some moveset differences.
I think the synergy is pretty obvious here. Reuniclus and Latias work well with spikes and share similar checks that are weak to Dugtrio, the most common one being Tyranitar and Jirachi. HP Fire Latias meant you didn't have to worry about some would-be Steel checks like Scizor or Ferrothorn (and those are Skarm bait anyway).
No hazard prevention/removal meant a regular Sash Dugtrio wouldn't do the trick, so the optimal set is Endure/Custap to both activate Reversal's full power and remove faster threats (Volcarona for example).
Shout-out to Reymedy for both the team and the Dugtrio's set.
-----

Abomasnow (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Mild Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Shard
- Blizzard

Xatu (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Roost
- Night Shade

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dual Chop
- Outrage

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Reuniclus (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

This team was used in ST20's Playoff vs Shoka.
I wanted to use an offensive Hail team and this was the end result. I put Dugtrio here to remove Tyranitar/Ninetales/Heatran/Jirachi out of the game and make Aboma/Kyurem more threatening. It also partners amazingly well with Xatu. Xatu is a complete stop to some top tiers like Ferro/Skarm and Dugtrio allows you to remove some of its biggest problems (once again, Tyranitar). Helmet Xatu also helps to put some stuff in Dugtrio's range. Reuniclus was an all-around good wincon that could soft check a lot of stuff while taking advantage of Dugtrio and hail residual damages.
Fire Blast on Scarf Chomp because SD Zor remained a big threat. No Dragon resists by the way, I know. Just outoffense them.
-----

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 64 Atk / 204 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Pursuit

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Drain Punch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Night Shade
- Reflect
- Toxic

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Toxic
- Screech

I built this team to face BKC in SPL with it, but the week was over before our game, so I decided to keep it for a later occasion as I really liked it.
The idea was that I wanted to use Ferrothorn + another Pokemon that could sponge status to protect Ferro from Rotom's WoW or Scald Burns. This is similar to that old and successful team from Heist that also used the Breloom/Ferro core and a lot of passive damages to abuse them (his team was Tyranitar/LandorusT/Heatran/Ferrothorn/Breloom/Reuniclus.
I wanted to both abuse passive damages and prevent them from whittling me down, so I decided to add a Xatu-Dugtrio core to that pair. Skarmory in particular could abuse Loom+Ferro and Xatu was a great way to shut it down, alongside a lot of annoying Pokemons. Dugtrio was added to play around Tyranitar but also guarantee shutting down other threats to that team. One of them was Taunt Mew, and Dugtrio gave me a way to guarantee a Toxic on it.
Landorus-T was added as a way to deal with both Excadrill and physical Dragons. Between the very defensive spread and Protect, you have ways to keep it healthy for long games.
-----

shapeshift (Ninetales) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 96 SpD / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Sunny Day
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

moon's invite (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic
- Moonlight

memories of dawn (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 80 SpD / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Soft-Boiled

prophecy (Xatu) @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Heat Wave
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Roost

sinkhole (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

innocence (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

This team was used in SPL9 vs Zorodark. I also used it in BW Cup R1.
One of my favorite team for sure. Upon building in BW, I realized how strong Mew was in the right conditions. I tried to make a team that could support Mew as much as possible and came up with this. Sun means you get Leftovers recovery (incredibly good on Mew) and weaken Rain Boosted moves (which can overwhelm Mew easily). Chansey means you can afford getting your Mew (or Cresselia) statused at some point, which is a huge downside otherwise. Xatu means you don't have to deal with hazards, which is needed for Sun in general. Dugtrio removes Heatran out of the picture. Mew and Cresselia win a lot of games by themselves under the right conditions and they attrach each other's checks, which are trapped by the mole.
I am positive this team would work and remain strong with Diglett over Dugtrio, as the main targets are Tran/Ttar here anyway.
Ice Beam can be used on Mew if you wanna be better armed vs Dragons.
-----

And I'll stop here. I've used other teams, but a lot of them weren't competitive enough (SubToxic spam for example).
Shout-out to Tokyo Tom's RMT, a very good Dugtrio team in my opinion. Also shout-out to the Tornadus Dug rain, which were very powerful if you played them well. Tornadus was an amazing partner as Rotom is pretty much the only good check that isn't Dug bait and the threat of U-turn into Dug made it even more fearsome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)