Ice Age with Mammoths and Dragons

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Hey Smogon. This my 4th OU RMt which pretty much capitalizes on Non Weather Hyper Offense (Kinda) Without further ado, let's get into the team building.

I wanted to base this team around Mamoswine. Mamoswine has always been one of my favorite Pokemon and has a great attacking stat coupled with a decent movepool and Fantastic Dual STABs. I also chose it for its good priority to check Dragons.

Now, Mamoswine did pretty well, but its horrible Special Defense hindered it as even though it was meant to check many threats with its Great attack, it was easily decimated by even neutral special attacks. Heatran is known for having wonderful Special Defense, along with the ability to set up Stealth Rock efficiently. It also proved as a good counter to Sun teams, and could even cripple walls with Toxic.

I really wanted to Use Jellicent or Slowbro in this spot to form a great Defensive Core with Heatran, but for some reason I just couldn't utilize it as well as I wished. This spot went from Slowbro, to Jellicent, to Rotom-W in less than a day, but I am still please with Rotom-W as the replacement. With a Choice Scarf Equipped, Rotom can easily outspeed a lot of the metagame and take on threats that get in the way of Mamoswine's way, such as Terrakion, Infernape Skarmory, and the likes.

BEST TROLL EVER. Anyways, I chose Whimsicott to finish my Water / Fire / Grass Core. It is indeed one of the best Pokemon I have ever used. This guy pretty much ensures that I won't be swept by DD Dragonite or SS Cloyster as I can safely Encore the said Pokemon into it and then Procede to either Paralyze the switch in, or if they are foolish enough to stay in, Cripple their sweeper for the remainder of the match. The main thing that caught my eye of using Whimsicott is that 90% of people don't know what it's going to do. After it was banished to the lower tiers, it hasn't been seen since!

Now the one thing that was messing with my team was Terrakion, the Choice Banded variant especially. I decided on using Latias over Slowbro as it had the potential to sweep and take repeated blows from Terrakion. It also had the ability to take Blissey one on one with refresh.

Honestly, I really don't know why I have Scizor on this team. It had good Bulk combined with Priority I guess and could handle Terrakion as well. I chose the Bulky CB Set as it can take hits from the likes of Gengar, Latios, and Starmie and still retain great Special Bulk.

So after testing out the team, I used Harsha's idea of changing Scizor's set and replacing Latias with a Scarf Latios and it worked pretty well. Latios is here to do what Latias did in Checking Terrakion, but also being able to hit hard right off the bat.

I also decided to try out Btzz's suggestion for the Tinkerbell Celebi set and it also worked fantasticly, so thanks Harsha and Btzz!

So that's the teambuilding. Let's get into the team~

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge

The main part of the team himself. Mamoswine gives me the ability to just nuke everything with Overpowered Earthquakes and priority. Earthquake is for Obvious STAB. Ice Shard is for a Great Priority for Dragons. Icicle Crash is a dual STAB move that helps with coverage and the chance to flinch along with power is great. Stone Edge is mostly Filler, but aids in coverage. Unfortunately Icicle Crash is illegal with Thick Fat, so I chose Snow Cloak on the off chance Hail is present

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SDef / 44 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect

Pretty Standard Specially Defensive Heatran set with extra Speed EVS. Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock- It helps to damage the opponent's Pokemon as they switch in. Lava Plume is so I am not taunt bait and have the chance to burn with that amazing 30% chance. Toxic is to cripple walls and anything that can take repeated Lava Plumes. Protect is to scout for moves so that I can switch to appropriate counters.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Pretty Standard Choice Scarf Rotom. Modest is for Power and Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are the Stab Moves of Choice. HP Ice is for Dragons and Grass types, but I have contemplated running HP Grass for Gastrodon or HP Fire for Ferrothorn. This guy is pretty expendable on this team and will be changed for something else if needed. Trick is to cripple walls.

Whimsicott (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Stun Spore

Yeah, pretty much the Whimsicott set that everyone runs if they're using it. I chose Stun Spore over Taunt because crippling Terrakion and Landorus and other fast threats are great for this team. Especially when Something comes in to U-turn / Volt Switch to break my Sub because apprently, that is the sad "best way" to counter Whimsicott. This guy is also pretty expendable and can be switched.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Refresh

A Standard Calm Mind / Roost / Refresh Latias that can take on Stall easily. Bold Nature with close to Max Defense helps me take repeated blows from Physical Powerhouses like Terrakion and even a Max Attack crunch from Tyranitar only does 65% to this beast. Dragon Pulse is the STAB Move of Choice as it hits everything.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit

The most Overused Pokemon in the OU Metagame. Yeah, pretty cool set with good Special Defense. Don't really like Scizor on this team honestly, but I am not sure what to swap it out for. It does a great jon with Volt-turn in aiding Rotom-W though, so if it were to be replaced I would want a Pokemon with the offensive presence and the ability to U-turn. U-turn is Pretty much on every Scizor to hit things hard. Superpower is for steel types. Bullet Punch for Priority and to knock out Terrakion. Pursuit for Latios and Latias who like to switch out fearing Bullet Punch.

That's Pretty much the team. Please leave suggestions for this team as it does need lots of work and I really would like to know what to change. Thanks for reading this and I hope you enjoyed the team :)

Hey,

Got your request, cool team man. I have some changes that should make it run more smoothly. Now, I was one of the biggest users of specially defensive Scizor, and I know that spread well. I also know that it barely fails to do 75% to Tornadus, meaning it can wreck havoc given the opportunity. For this reason, I highly recommend you use the standard spread of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD to take Tornadus down much more reliably.

Now a giant threat to this team is SubDD Gyarados, and fortunately, there is a simple way to fix this: replace Trick with Thunderbolt on Rotom-W. While you may object to losing out on a way to cripple stall, Thunderbolt is amazing because it gives you a solid STAB move without drawbacks and it beats the aforementioned SubDD Gyrados.

As an aside, sun teams look hard to face. Venusaur with Earthquake can sweep this team fairly easily if it manages to get past Whimsicott, which shouldn't be too hard given team support and Stun Spore's measly accuracy. I'm hard-pressed to find a Pokemon to replace since everything has a specialized job, but you may want to try out Choice Scarf Latios instead of Latias to give you attacking power and another revenge killer should Rotom-W not be enough. Also, it gives you a ton of power behind its moves, and an alternative way to beat Ferrothorn should Heatran go down.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Surf

Anyhow, cool team and good luck! I hope I helped!

blunder

is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Thanks for the suggestion Harsha. Yeah the Scizor set was kind of a downfall unfortunately- it couldn't even 2HKO Landorus reliably. I will try out the choice scarf Latios set and switch Trick for Thunderbolt. Thanks for the rate man! :)

EDIT: It seems that even though the CS Latios Set was good, it pretty much killed my chance to fend of Terrakion as in the sand Draco Meteor does up to 54% and a banded X-Scissor will spell doom for Latios. I wanted to fit Psyshock on this thing somewhere but I am not sure what to replace. Any suggestions?

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there nice team! Right now I'm seeing a big weakness to Bulk Up Conkeldurr and Sub DD Gyarados. Bulky Up Conk can do some serious damage to you team with a +1 Mach Punch as Mamo's Ice Shard and Scizor's Bullet Punch fail to OHKO. Gyarados sets up on Scizor and Rotom can do anything to it if Gyarados has a Sub up. A quick fix in regards to Gyarados would be using Thunderbolt over Hidden Power Ice on Rotom-W. Tbolt let's Rotom beat Gyarados one-on-one and you won't really miss HP Ice as Mamo kills dragons while Scizor beats Grass-types.

To patch up that weakness to BU Conkeldurr, you could use a Tinkebell Celebi over Whimsicott. Celebi provides paralysis like Whimsicott, but it trades prankster for superior bulk and a Fighting resists which you team needs more. Celebi also forms an excellent defensive core with Heatran. You could try Return over Stone Edge on Mamswine; it 2HKOs Rotom-W in addition to perfect accuracy as opposed to SE. Icicle Spear is also worth considering over Icicle Crash for taking out Sub Gliscor, and Dragonite. Finally, I would use a 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe spread on Scizor; this gives you much needed power vs Terrakion and other sweepers. You don't need all that extra bulk with 2 superb special walls in Heatran and Latias (and even Cebeli to an extent).

Celebi | Natural Cure | Leftovers
Modest | 252 HP / 224 SpA / 32 Spe
Leaf Storm | Psychic | Thunder Wave | Recover

Hope this helps and gl with the team!

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
Thanks a lot Btzz, will test out Celebi- but again, Terrakion poses a threat because Whimsicott reliably outspeeds Terrakion to paralyze while X-Scissor will get Celebi. Thanks for the rate though man and I will definitely test it :)

Looks just like Katakiri Remy's the frozen boundary with ice type ammo replacing kyurem.

Disappointing.

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
After testing in PO, I decided to use Celebi and Latios for there ability to do the other pokemon's job better

EDIT: Will update the changes with Celebi and Latios later

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ThunderBlunder, Magnezone would greatly benefit this team, removing Scizor that plagues Celebi and Mamoswine. Defensive Steel-types, namely Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Forretress also use these 2 mons to stack up Spikes. SubCM Jirachi can also be annoying. Magnezone would be a useful deterrent or a killer for these Steel-types. Choice Specs Magnezone is the most appropriate set for this team, imo, although you can always go with Sub & Charge Beam, too.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs | Magnet Pull
Modest | 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power Fire
~ Volt Switch
~ Flash Cannon / Thunder

Enough Speed to outrun most Skarmory, max SpA, and rest in HP. HP Fire to roast Ferrothorn and Scizor. Otherwise TB for a powerful STAB and Volt Switch for a powerful switch move. Flash Cannon provides good neutral coverage, but Thunder would come in handy when facing Rain teams / SubCM Jirachi.

I suggest removing ScarfLatios for SpecsMagnezone. Latios just seems too redundant with Rotom-W and Celebi in its role. It can bust dragons, too, but Mamoswine already has that covered.

The loss of Whimsicott made this team more vulnerable to a Volcarona sweep. Dugtrio can easily trap-kill Heatran to break loose Volcarona. Scarf Terrakion over Scizor would ease this problem. You already have a powerful priority move in Mamoswine's LO Ice Shard, so you won't be missing Scizor's BP priority too much. Losing Scizor does make your more vulnerable to Latias and Reuniclus, but it should still be manageable, unlike your previous weakness to Volcarona.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ X-Scissor
~ Rock Slide / Earthquake

Since Terrakion fulfills the revenge-killer role, you can make Rotom-W a non-choiced variant, so it can be a much more annoying (imo) Volt Switcher.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers | Levitate
Modest | 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
~ Volt Switch
~ Hydro Pump
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Pain Split

I personally prefer Superpower > Stone Edge on Mamoswine for nailing Air Balloon Heatrans, Chansey / Blissey, and Rotom-W.

Summary
  • Specs Magnezone > Scarf Latios
  • Scarf Terrakion > CB Scizor
  • Bulky Rotom-W > Scarf Rotom-W
  • Superpower > Stone Edge on Mamoswine

Hope this helped, ThunderBlunder!

good

Your team is overall fine , though you forgot to change whimswhimsy (one of my favorites) into the celebi set. WE never know what it is ;-)

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, got the PM, and sorry for getting to this late. harsha and Pocket already covered most of what needs to be said here, so I'll just make a few alternate suggestions. Like harsha brought up, your team has difficulty against SubDD Gyarados. If you opt to go with bulky Rotom-W, use Thunderbolt over Dragon Pulse for Scarflatios, this does mean you can no longer spam a STAB, but Dragon Pulse just plain doesn't hit hard enough on the Scarf set. Pursuit on Scizor is IMO one of the most useless moves possible. The only Pokemon you'd ever use Pursuit on is Gengar, and even then, you're basically inviting SubSD Terrakion to come in and set up on you. Give Quick Attack a whirl, as it offers you another Technician boosted priority option to hit Steel resists such as Starmie and Gyarados.

Pocket is right about this team having trouble against Volcarona, since your Heatran can't handle versions with HP Ground, Substitute, or Chestorest versions. A quick fix is to toss Protect for Roar. Yes, Protect is useful for scouting and whoring Leftovers recovery, but Roar effectively deals 50% to Volcarona through Stealth Rock. It also allows you to phaze out unfavourable switch-ins, giving you more time to respond accordingly. As well if you're going to run Speed on Heatran, there's no point in not running enough to outspeed all Scizor. As uncommon as Jolly SD Scizor may be, you never know when you'll get outsped and smacked by a Superpower. Better safe than sorry.

GL
Tbolt>Dragon Pulse
pros: take out Gyarados
cons: can no longer spam STAB, although D-Pulse isn't that strong

Quick Attack>Pursuit on Scizor
pros: hit Bullet Punch resistors such as Gyara and Starmie
cons: can no longer ensure KO on Gengar etc

Roar>Protect+new EVs on Heatran
pros: phazes, better for checking Volcarona, outspeed all Scizor
cons: can't whore HP

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Surf

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 100 SDef / 160 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)