SM PU Ice Strike (My First Competitive PU Team)

EDIT: THIS IS THE NEWEST CURRENT VERSION OF THE TEAM: https://pokepast.es/39a0dd59568c4903
I will update that link with whatever changes my newest team has. That way, people do not have to read through the mass of information.

So I was wondering if any of you guys could help with my first team. I'm not new to competitive Pokemon, but I'm new to PU, and it has been a while since I've played. Anyway, here is my team:
1538538036425.png

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Abomasnow's job is to set up chip damage after rocks and toxic spikes have been set up, while also being able to kill/wallbreak foes it outspeeds. It also cleans up weakened Pokemon with a nice ice shard. It was the main reason I built this team, and I tried to pick Pokemon Abomasnow had synergy with.

Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 48 HP / 208 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Parting Shot
- Defog

Silvally's job is to remove hazards if the team is heavily set on stall. and also kill fighting/dark types it outspeeds that may give Abomasnow trouble. Thunderbolt is a good coverage move to deal with not weakened flying types that Abomasnow can't kill with ice shard. Parting shot can be used as a pivot to annoy set up sweepers and allow for A-Sandshrew to set up.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Mespirit is my rock setter. It also is used to dispose of fighting types, while also otherwise providing general utility. Healing wish is great to allow for a weakened A-Sandslash or Abomasnow to have enough HP to get back into the game. Dazzling gleam is there to hit dark types that may otherwise switch in for free. Overall, a solid choice.

Sandslash-Alola @ Icium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Under hail, Sandslash is fearsome. Swords dance can be used on a predicted switch, icicle crash has a chance of flinching, and earthquake is good for hitting normal potential checks and counters to my team that would otherwise outspeed without hail. Iron head is there for coverage, though I have debated on switching it with substitute.

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Lanturn is my special wall of my team, that lets me bring in Abomasnow safely. It can serve as a check to Togedemaru, which is useful for this team and has giving me a lot of trouble otherwise. It has decent speed and great bulk, so the utility is appreciated. Scald can be helpful to cripple a fighting type that hasn't been poisoned yet.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Flamethrower
- Taunt

Weezing helps set up toxic spikes, which helps out my team a lot by contributing to a residual damage chain of hail, rocks, and poison. Flamethrower is ran over will-o-wisp to help against Togedamaru. Taunt helps stop some set up sweepers. Sludge bomb is just an overall good stab move. Weezing is a good partner to Lanturn, as they can switch in for eachother in a lot of situations. Weezing alleviates the need for Lanturn to run toxic. The removal of will-o-wisp led me to put scald on Lanturn, so I still have a good chance of burning a troublesome fighting type.

Current Issues with My Team That I Need Help Resolving:
Complete stall teams just break down this team. I struggle with set up sleepers(especially A-Raichu), and teams with priority moves and two fighting types really bog me down . Some steel types completely shut down my team, and hyper offensive teams can kill a key member of my team or force me to sack a Pokemon I need. I'm not sure how to remedy these problems, or what I should do to improve my team overall. I'm looking for more experienced players to help.

Last edited:
Hey cool team and glad that you are back into competitive mons.
The one thing I dont like about the team is that Weezing doesnt fit. It saps momentum from u and ur team relys on getting momentum. Since u are kinda weak to Oricoro-S, I would reccomend skunktank.
download.jpg

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch | Pursuit | Sucker Punch | Poison Jab
So although they commonly run defog, you do not have to because u have a deffogger already. WIth this set, it allows u to deal with oricoro better. You do give up T spikes, but u get something that can help the team better IMO.

Hope this suggestion helps

Hey cool team and glad that you are back into competitive mons.
The one thing I dont like about the team is that Weezing doesnt fit. It saps momentum from u and ur team relys on getting momentum. Since u are kinda weak to Oricoro-S, I would reccomend skunktank.
View attachment 138439
Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Crunch | Pursuit | Sucker Punch | Poison Jab
So although they commonly run defog, you do not have to because u have a deffogger already. WIth this set, it allows u to deal with oricoro better. You do give up T spikes, but u get something that can help the team better IMO.

Hope this suggestion helps
That's a good general idea, but that makes my Togedemaru match up even worse. It also makes me even weaker to fighting, which is a big deal. I'm not sure he's the answer. It is some food for thought, though.

That's a good general idea, but that makes my Togedemaru match up even worse. It also makes me even weaker to fighting, which is a big deal. I'm not sure he's the answer. It is some food for thought, though.
You literally have Silvally-Fairy and Mesprit to check fightings and thats fine. Lanturn just comes in for free on Togedemaru and Alolaslash does too and beats it.

You literally have Silvally-Fairy and Mesprit to check fightings and thats fine. Lanturn just comes in for free on Togedemaru and Alolaslash does too and beats it.
That's a good point. I just might not be saving my Pokemon in an intelligent way against Togedemaru.

This team still REALLY struggles with set up sweepers/status pokemon, though. I've been testing the change, and now I really suffer without a defensive pivot.

Last edited:
If you have an issue with status, I feel like Granbull may be the perfect substitution for Silvally-Fairy. It provides offensive pressure, slows down physical sweepers with Intimidate and Thunder Wave, and most importantly, runs Heal Bell. This is the set I use:

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Heal Bell
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave

If you want more info on how to use Granbull I recommend you read my post: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/granbull-0-3.3642017/

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-814960384
This is a recent replay of trying Skunktank. It has helped give my team some more firepower. I'm not sure Lanturn works on my team anymore. Lanturn and Weezing always have felt like there could have been better choices, but I'm not sure what.

If you have an issue with status, I feel like Granbull may be the perfect substitution for Silvally-Fairy. It provides offensive pressure, slows down physical sweepers with Intimidate and Thunder Wave, and most importantly, runs Heal Bell. This is the set I use:

Granbull @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Heal Bell
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave

If you want more info on how to use Granbull I recommend you read my post: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/granbull-0-3.3642017/
Granbull would be a great fit. I didn't know he had heal bell. Maybe I could run defog on Skunktank then.

Edit: Granbull seems to help synergy with Lanturn a lot.

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hello, i am at work so i can't do a full rundown, but there are a few things i noticed that can immediately improve the team

First off, i agree with the others that you are fine dealing with fighting. You have 2 defensive answers to them so you should be ok. So i would swap the weezing out

Second, i would put uturn over dazzling gleam on mesprit. That swap alone should give you a lot more momentum and improve a lot of matchups for you (especially the ho matchup). The only mon particularly scared of darks on your team is mesprit itself anyway, so uturn is fine

Last, i would HEAVILY consider swapping aboma with aurorus. What your team needs is more wallbreaking potential, and LO aurorus is much better at that than aboma

E: i disagree with the granbull, since your team cant afford the momentum loss

So this is what we have now:
DECIDING FIRST SLOT:

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Rock]

or

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

-------------------------------------------------------------
DECIDING TEAM SLOT FOR 6TH:

Granbull @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Body Slam
- Play Rough

or

Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Parting Shot
- Defog

More input would be appreciated on what you guys think. I honestly could use a heal bell user on my team, and granbull would help a lot in that aspect I think. Not sure if it is worth the trade off in speed for Silvally, though. I feel like if I decided to run Auroras I would use a scarf set to help the abysmal speed it has.

Also, I do agree heavily with Mespirit getting U-turn. Honestly, I forgot Mespirit got it, and I couldn't think of another move for dazzling gleam.

EDIT:
1538599805322.png

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention why I chose scarf over specs. I was scared that I would have too little speed. I think scarf helps against some sweepers.

Also, here is a recent replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-815029896

Here is another replay of Aurorus destroying a set up sweeper that would have otherwise set up on me: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-815039300

EDIT 3:
1538609588206.png

EDIT 4:
Here are a few tournament replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-815047432 WIN
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-815051008 WIN
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-815053541 LOSE(Lost to Tour Winner)
CONCLUSIONS: As much as I like Abomasnow, I'm not going back to him. Choice scarf Auroras is way better than him(at least in regards to my team). Also, I've had a little more success with Silvally, as I've been playing him differently. I didn't really try Granbull, but I think putting Granbull on my team would leave me more susceptible to bulky set up sweepers/status pokemon that outspeed it.
EDIT 5:
1538612968012.png

What does everyone think of this suggestion? With AV, I can't use heal bell or choice specs(pointed out by bagoftrixx).

EDIT 6: I feel like this team is actually coming along pretty nicely now. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-815073449

EDIT 7: More tour replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-815084454 WIN
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-815087234 LOSE
I had several misplays and overestimated the bulk of Gollurk.

EDIT 8:
The current version of my team:
Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Parting Shot
- Defog

Last edited:
1538705610573.png

1538705640500.png

1538705670944.png

1538705753576.png

1538705794693.png

1538705969017.png

1538706935741.png

EDIT 2:
Debating on trying scarf Aurorus. If doing so, the team would need a major overhaul. This edit contains the theoretical if I were to involve specs aurorus: https://pokepast.es/9103e1d0c3d34c15

1538707130088.png

1538707289321.png

1538707400041.png

1538707538276.png

1538707977610.png

EDIT 3: New Version of the Team and Discussion:
Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psychic
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Discharge

Oricorio-Sensu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dancer
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Revelation Dance
- Tailwind

Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Parting Shot
- Defog
1538708167245.png

1538708551365.png

EDIT 4:
Here is some testing:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-815613462

1538710482167.png

1538710549687.png

1538710681309.png

Second version of the team is the same one as above but has Hitmonchan, still testing it.

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 240 HP / 140 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch

https://pokepast.es/c75b87a511862af7

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)