Idea? (Mono)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about hosting a tournament, and I thought that either a mono-species tournament or mono-type tournament might be fun. Any thoughts on this?

Mono color is stupid imo since you have to account the shinys and you can basically make a regular standard team with like purple or blue or something =/

The fact of being shiny doesn't change pokemon's "color" category...

A mono color tournament would be cool, but its DOMINATED by Blue teams (Metagross, Heracross, Salamence, Suicune, etc etc). Last year a tournament like this was run here in Brazil, with almost 100% people using Blue teams... I think it would be nice, but unbalanced :/ I don't know if I would join a tournament like this

We just had a great GSC mono tourney at Gamefaqs and what we did is we were assigned types (different for each round) and were pitted against each other... like first round I got electric and my opp had fighting. It was only an 8 man tourney iirc and I think it could be a blast if we got like 32 or 64 (maybe that's pushing it). Just a though.

TheMusicMan said:
We just had a great GSC mono tourney at Gamefaqs and what we did is we were assigned types (different for each round) and were pitted against each other... like first round I got electric and my opp had fighting.
Maybe if we were to reformat that idea a little, so it would go something like this:

On every round, a type is randomized for everyone to use, meaning that everyone will use the same type on that specific round. E.g. Round 1, everyone has to make a Fire type team. This way, there should be no 'unfair' match-ups, like your mono-Fighting team against a mono-Psychic one. Once the round has been done, a new type is randomized for the remaining players and so on...

Echo's idea is awesome. Like that "Who's the real Blaine" tournament which seemed popular. I liked the GFaqs tourney also though.

If everyone has to use the same type in one round, how is it going to be determined which type is used? random? because there probably won't be 17 rounds (1 for each type), so, IMO, it would suck that only a few types would be played. Maybe make it so the most uncommon mono-type teams are used? Anyways, sounds cool.

Yeah that assignment looks OK. But like all the fire pokemon would have HP Water, Water pokemon would have Tbolt and HP Grass and it could get kinda silly. Dragons and Ghost lol. But yeah it's a good idea, I'd enter. Just needs Species clause.

massi4h said:
Yeah that assignment looks OK. But like all the fire pokemon would have HP Water, Water pokemon would have Tbolt and HP Grass and it could get kinda silly. Dragons and Ghost lol. But yeah it's a good idea, I'd enter. Just needs Species clause.
Well, wouldn't you the naturally have to come up with counters for those? Water teams would have Lanturn/Swampy to stop electric attacks, Tentacruel to stop Grass ones (to an extent...), same goes for the other types.

Anyways, if we were to get something going on with my idea for the Mono tourney, I liked Mizuno's idea of using only the types, which are the lesser ones in monotype teams overall, like Bug, Ghost and Dragon. Then again, this would cause a debate on which types should/should not be used and that would kinda suck.

Good to see that people liked the idea.

I'd prefer a mono-species tournament where you can decide on your own what Pokemon you will use. You'll have to make a list of versatile (popular) Pokemon and design your sets so that you can counter them.

I've had a mono-type tournament called War of Elements back at IGN. Everyone got a type, you were paired against someone else with another type, and you fight. Too bad Water, Flying and such dominated it. What was so cool about it is the trading part: after every round you win, you could pick a Pokemon from your opponent's team, and you get the possibility to use that Pokemon in further rounds. This way, the further you come, the better your team becomes.

Too bad Snorlax and friends dominate mono species.

Maybe UU/NU mono-species if we're not going to go with my idea.

Mekkah's idea sounds really cool. That would even work with mono-species, since that has even less variety. Mono-species would be pretty luck-based in the beginning stages, though.

Echo said:
Too bad Snorlax and friends dominate mono species.

Maybe UU/NU mono-species if we're not going to go with my idea.
yeah and what happens when you end up facing mono medichams or mono heracrosses =/

you have to use super diverse fast things to generally get far in that kind of tournaments

Mono type would be nice, but it would kind of be like a Random Team Tournament, but random types instead. Of course it would be a bunch of crap if it was Fire vs. Water, but that's why it's fun!

Echo said:
Maybe if we were to reformat that idea a little, so it would go something like this:

On every round, a type is randomized for everyone to use, meaning that everyone will use the same type on that specific round. E.g. Round 1, everyone has to make a Fire type team. This way, there should be no 'unfair' match-ups, like your mono-Fighting team against a mono-Psychic one. Once the round has been done, a new type is randomized for the remaining players and so on...
Wow shit that idea is awesome, Ill be all up for that

Mon species is ok, but we will always be seeing the same whores but it did be funny to see 6 gengar vs 6 gengar or something =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)