Unofficial Metagames Illusion Smashpass (AG)

Smashpass is a playstyle that has gone madly under the radar in my opinion. It matches up well against fat balance teams and stall and is overall a nightmare to play against if you aren’t prepared. This playstyle, of course, has its drawbacks: it’s extremely vulnerable to hax (specifically 1-turn sleep counts), and priority users are not its best friend. As a result, the playstyle and the team are not very consistent, thus my not being able to peak #1 or all that high on the ladder; my highest peak with this team is somewhere around 1910, though I do not have any hard evidence to support this. The reason I’m writing this RMT though is because I believe this team has a lot of tournament potential, given the amount of balance teams that are run, and I have had moderate ladder success with the team, even though it’s a hard team to ladder with consistently.

Now there is one Pokémon on this team that surely sticks out like a sore thumb – Zoroark. I had initially used Zoroark on a Sticky Web offense team as a meme and decided to try my luck using it on Smashpass as well. While it was fun to use on Webs, it wasn’t very good; the contrary is true for Smashpass. Being able to disguise as Smeargle or Fairyceus or whatever I want is an amazing lure to Taunt hazard setters or Defoggers or potential phasers. I’ll go into more detail on the set later on, but it definitely is worth that slot on the team.

As for setting up the rest of the team, the Smeargle was the obvious first pick, being that it’s the best Shell Smash passer in the game. Mega Rayquaza was an obvious second pick, being that at +2 it hits like a truck. I initially had Primal Groudon as my Stealth Rock user as well as a sweeper, but I eventually made it a full 4-attack sweeper. I let Arceus-Fairy carry both Stealth Rock and Defog for efficiency’s sake. It’s a great lead option in order to get rocks up so that the team has an easier time sweeping. I had initially had Primal Kyogre as my final sweeper; however, I found myself not using this Pokémon very much. I then decided to take inspiration from SashaTheMaster’s successful Smashpass team and put Dialga on the team. It’s widespread movepool hits a lot of Pokémon hard at +2 and is my main sweeper on this team.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash

Ability: Own Tempo

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

-Spore

-Shell Smash

-King’s Shield

-Baton Pass

This Smeargle set is pretty much what you would expect from a Smashpasser. The general formula goes as follows: set up a Shell Smash, outspeed and Spore, Baton Pass to a sweeper and hope the opponent doesn’t wake up in 1 turn. I opted for King’s Shield as my fourth move so that if I’m in a pinch and I need to live a hit or if I want to cripple the opponent’s active Pokémon so that a sweeper can come in after it dies and have an easier time (given of course the opponent’s active Pokémon is a physical attacker). It’s been a clutch move in several games and fits well with the team. Also, the reason I'm not running Moody as my ability is that inopportune stat drops have cost me several matches in the past when I did in fact use Moody. With Smashpass being a playstyle vulnerable to hax as it is, increasing the odds of bad luck is something I'd like to avoid, even at the cost of a good stat raise.

Zoroark @ Focus Sash

Ability: Illusion

Jolly Nature

-Taunt

-Foul Play

-Memento

-Roar

As I said before, Zoroark is the main reason this team sticks out. It’s an excellent lead and can be disguised as whichever Pokémon I choose (except never choose Groudon… you should know why). I pretty much explained Taunt already in the introductory section. Foul Play is a great move against opposing Mega Rayquaza leads as well as just a clutch move if I need to break a Focus Sash. Memento is great for getting switch initiative as well as weakening opposing Pokémon for either Smeargle or another sweeper coming in. Roar is the move I use the least. It was really hard picking out the fourth move for Zoroark, but when I was talking to someone about it (but I can’t remember who it was for the life of me) they recommended Roar as a clutch phaser. It has saved me a couple times. Like I said, however, you won’t be using it often.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb

Ability: Delta Stream

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Dragon Ascent

- Extreme Speed

- Earthquake

Yeah, we’ve got your standard Life Orb Mega Rayquaza set here. I think the only thing that really needs to be said about it is that it’s a good option for attempting to sweep if I can’t Smashpass anymore. Other than that, it hits like a truck at +2. Yeah, that’s about it.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb

Ability: Desolate Land

EVs: 236 Atk / 20 SpA / 252 Spe

Naughty Nature

- Rock Tomb

- Earthquake

- Eruption

- Dragon Pulse

Primal Groudon is my second-most-used sweeper on this team. Rock Tomb is to hit Ho-Oh and also is more accurate than Stone Edge (because RNG hates me). Earthquake hits super hard at +2 and doesn’t miss, unlike Precipice Blades. At +2, the extra 10 base power is relatively negligible, as EQ almost always kills what it needs to. Eruption is a great option for a mixed attacker (and DOESN’T MISS LIKE FIRE BLAST) and just destroys so much. Dragon Pulse hits Zygarde for a ton of damage and also one-shots Mega Rayquaza, which is what the 20 EVs in Special Attack are for.

+2 20 SpA Groudon-Primal Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rayquaza-Mega: 352-416 (100.2 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Primal Groudon covers a lot and really runs teams over at +2.

Dialga @ White Herb

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe

Modest Nature

- Dragon Pulse

- Thunderbolt

- Earth Power

- Flash Cannon

Dialga is my favorite Pokémon to sweep with on this team. The coverage isn’t perfect but it’s really solid. Dragon Pulse and Flash Cannon are obvious STAB options; Earth Power hits common threats like Primal Groudon, Arceus-Steel, and Arceus-Poison; and Thunderbolt deals solid damage to Ho-Oh, Celesteela, and Primal Kyogre. I had ran Flamethrower over Thunderbolt until very recently when Silent Mobius suggested I try Thunder in order to hit stuff like Ho-Oh. I decided I didn’t want to risk the miss so I opted for Thunderbolt instead. The opportunity cost for this change was obviously one-shotting Ferrothorn, but I believe the amount of ground gained is greater than this loss. Also the EV spread is to provide as much additional bulk as possible while also, after being passed the Shell Smash, having the speed to creep Adamant Scarf Mega Rayquaza.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate

Ability: Multitype

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 Def

- Judgment

- Fire Blast

- Stealth Rock

- Defog

This set is adapted from SashaTheMaster’s Arceus-Fairy set from his Smashpass team, except I’m running HP investment instead of Special Attack and am running Fire Blast over Earth Power. The reason for the former is that Arceus-Fairy isn’t a Pokémon I pass to much; its main purpose is to set up rocks, Defog opposing hazards, and get out and let Smeargle work. It’s also a nice disguise for Zoroark, luring in opposing Dusk Mane Necrozmas and either going for the Memento or dishing out a Foul Play. The reason I don’t run recover is as I previously stated: this Pokémon sets and gets rid of hazards and gets out of the way. I have the extra Fire Blast coverage in case I need to pass to this Pokémon at some point.

Yeah here’s the obvious one. Spectral Thief is an apparent threat to my team. Arceus-Fairy can potentially threaten Marshadow, but it isn’t a one-and-done cure, obviously. King’s Shield on Smeargle can take a Close Combat and cripple it for something else, but obviously switching out exists. Also, priority Shadow Sneak threatens the team in general. Last but certainly not least, the stupid Focus Sash Marshadow sets everybody and their mom runs on ladder make it really difficult for me to progress on said ladder.

Lead Deoxys-Speed on opposing Hyper Offense teams is a big burden for this team as well. Being a very fast Taunt user, it nullifies Zoroark, and it also forces me to lead Arceus-Fairy and risk losing my Defogger early. Hazards obviously threaten Smeargle and make its job as a Smashpasser a lot harder.

As I alluded to when talking about Marshadow, my team does not like priority, and Extreme Speed is rampant in the metagame. It is a staple on popular physical sweepers like Arceus and Mega Rayquaza. Dialga can take Extreme Speed, but if it’s gone, it can run through my team fairly efficiently. This is probably the least threatening of the notable threats I’m listening, but it is nevertheless a notable threat.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-868464755 (vs synoptic)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-868466301 (vs pulsar512b)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-868467609 (vs cherif18)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-868471520 (vs icemaster523)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-868611664 (vs Marsi/GRNxBLN)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-875834927 (vs GRNxGRO)

The replays here aren’t much, since I am really bad about saving replays, but they do showcase this team’s ability to beat a few decent and quality players.
Shout-outs (in part because I forgot to do this on Tenta Webs, so I’m gonna combine the two)

Dr13 – Underrated gem and great builder. Thanks for being a good guy and for recommending Focus Sash on Tentacruel on Tenta Webs

SashaTheMaster – Thanks for giving me the framework for a good Smashpass team.

Silent Mobus – Sold guy and great player. Thanks for giving me a hard mountain to climb on ladder both back then and now and for giving me mons advice along the way.

Skarpherim – I wish you didn’t have such an ego, but nevertheless, you’ve been a good dude to talk to about mons. Thanks for giving me advice on playing and building (even though sometimes your advice was pretty shitty, won’t lie).

MDB – For being a bitch.

RNGesus – Thank you for exposing me as a guy with pretty bad anger issues. I’ve spent many a moment mad and rage-driven because of you and your game robberies.
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- King's Shield
- Baton Pass

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Memento
- Roar

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Naughty Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Eruption
- Earthquake
- Dragon Pulse

Dialga @ White Herb
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Thank you all for reading this. As always, any constructive criticism is welcomed (but like with Tentacruel on Tenta Webs, I’m not getting rid of Zoroark). Have a blessed day, all, and remember: Chloe is lame for not liking Post Malone.

Last edited:

Game Moderator

Banned deucer.
Awesome team, I suggest Focus Sash over Life Orb on Mega Rayquaza, just so it can take a hit incase 1 turn wakes. Besides at +2 it'll do as much as Life Orb +1 anyways if not more.

Awesome team, I suggest Focus Sash over Life Orb on Mega Rayquaza, just so it can take a hit incase 1 turn wakes. Besides at +2 it'll do as much as Life Orb +1 anyways if not more.
While I do understand your argument, I'm going to keep Life Orb for the fact that I don't tend to pass to MRay as much as one might think. Being that Groudon and Dialga are my main forms of sweeping, having the standard Life Orb Ray allows me to have a fall-back mon in case Smeargle is either gone or crippled to the point where it's useless.

Game Moderator

Banned deucer.
Also, forgot to say this but Spectral Thief over King's Shield. You've got White Herb on Dialga and Spectral Thief can come in really useful when you just steal Xern's +2 without the def drop when BPing to Groudon.

Also, forgot to say this but Spectral Thief over King's Shield. You've got White Herb on Dialga and Spectral Thief can come in really useful when you just steal Xern's +2 without the def drop when BPing to Groudon.
The noticeably growing absence of Xerneas, specifically Geo-Xern, has made this not a major concern to me. Also, in most circumstances, people will go into a Roar or Perish Song user when Smeargle comes in. That or a priority user. King's Shield helps a lot against stuff like Marshadow or Rayquaza in case Smeargle can't survive normally.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor

Smashpass is a playstyle that has gone madly under the radar in my opinion. It matches up well against fat balance teams and stall and is overall a nightmare to play against if you aren’t prepared. This playstyle, of course, has its drawbacks: it’s extremely vulnerable to hax (specifically 1-turn sleep counts), and priority users are not its best friend. As a result, the playstyle and the team are not very consistent, thus my not being able to peak #1 or all that high on the ladder; my highest peak with this team is somewhere around 1910, though I do not have any hard evidence to support this. The reason I’m writing this RMT though is because I believe this team has a lot of tournament potential, given the amount of balance teams that are run, and I have had moderate ladder success with the team, even though it’s a hard team to ladder with consistently.

Now there is one Pokémon on this team that surely sticks out like a sore thumb – Zoroark. I had initially used Zoroark on a Sticky Web offense team as a meme and decided to try my luck using it on Smashpass as well. While it was fun to use on Webs, it wasn’t very good; the contrary is true for Smashpass. Being able to disguise as Smeargle or Fairyceus or whatever I want is an amazing lure to Taunt hazard setters or Defoggers or potential phasers. I’ll go into more detail on the set later on, but it definitely is worth that slot on the team.

As for setting up the rest of the team, the Smeargle was the obvious first pick, being that it’s the best Shell Smash passer in the game. Mega Rayquaza was an obvious second pick, being that at +2 it hits like a truck. I initially had Primal Groudon as my Stealth Rock user as well as a sweeper, but I eventually made it a full 4-attack sweeper. I let Arceus-Fairy carry both Stealth Rock and Defog for efficiency’s sake. It’s a great lead option in order to get rocks up so that the team has an easier time sweeping. I had initially had Primal Kyogre as my final sweeper; however, I found myself not using this Pokémon very much. I then decided to take inspiration from SashaTheMaster’s successful Smashpass team and put Dialga on the team. It’s widespread movepool hits a lot of Pokémon hard at +2 and is my main sweeper on this team.

View attachment 163270

View attachment 163259Smeargle @ Focus Sash

Timid Nature

-Spore

-Shell Smash

-King’s Shield

-Baton Pass

This Smeargle set is pretty much what you would expect from a Smashpasser. The general formula goes as follows: set up a Shell Smash, outspeed and Spore, Baton Pass to a sweeper and hope the opponent doesn’t wake up in 1 turn. I opted for King’s Shield as my fourth move so that if I’m in a pinch and I need to live a hit or if I want to cripple the opponent’s active Pokémon so that a sweeper can come in after it dies and have an easier time (given of course the opponent’s active Pokémon is a physical attacker). It’s been a clutch move in several games and fits well with the team. Also, the reason I'm not running Moody as my ability is that inopportune stat drops have cost me several matches in the past when I did in fact use Moody. With Smashpass being a playstyle vulnerable to hax as it is, increasing the odds of bad luck is something I'd like to avoid, even at the cost of a good stat raise.

View attachment 163260Zoroark @ Focus Sash

Jolly Nature

-Taunt

-Foul Play

-Memento

-Roar

As I said before, Zoroark is the main reason this team sticks out. It’s an excellent lead and can be disguised as whichever Pokémon I choose (except never choose Groudon… you should know why). I pretty much explained Taunt already in the introductory section. Foul Play is a great move against opposing Mega Rayquaza leads as well as just a clutch move if I need to break a Focus Sash. Memento is great for getting switch initiative as well as weakening opposing Pokémon for either Smeargle or another sweeper coming in. Roar is the move I use the least. It was really hard picking out the fourth move for Zoroark, but when I was talking to someone about it (but I can’t remember who it was for the life of me) they recommended Roar as a clutch phaser. It has saved me a couple times. Like I said, however, you won’t be using it often.

View attachment 163261Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Dragon Ascent

- Extreme Speed

- Earthquake

Yeah, we’ve got your standard Life Orb Mega Rayquaza set here. I think the only thing that really needs to be said about it is that it’s a good option for attempting to sweep if I can’t Smashpass anymore. Other than that, it hits like a truck at +2. Yeah, that’s about it.

View attachment 163262Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb

Naughty Nature

- Rock Tomb

- Earthquake

- Eruption

- Dragon Pulse

Primal Groudon is my second-most-used sweeper on this team. Rock Tomb is to hit Ho-Oh and also is more accurate than Stone Edge (because RNG hates me). Earthquake hits super hard at +2 and doesn’t miss, unlike Precipice Blades. At +2, the extra 10 base power is relatively negligible, as EQ almost always kills what it needs to. Eruption is a great option for a mixed attacker (and DOESN’T MISS LIKE FIRE BLAST) and just destroys so much. Dragon Pulse hits Zygarde for a ton of damage and also one-shots Mega Rayquaza, which is what the 20 EVs in Special Attack are for.

+2 20 SpA Groudon-Primal Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rayquaza-Mega: 352-416 (100.2 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Primal Groudon covers a lot and really runs teams over at +2.

View attachment 163263Dialga @ White Herb

Modest Nature

- Dragon Pulse

- Thunderbolt

- Earth Power

- Flash Cannon

Dialga is my favorite Pokémon to sweep with on this team. The coverage isn’t perfect but it’s really solid. Dragon Pulse and Flash Cannon are obvious STAB options; Earth Power hits common threats like Primal Groudon, Arceus-Steel, and Arceus-Poison; and Thunderbolt deals solid damage to Ho-Oh, Celesteela, and Primal Kyogre. I had ran Flamethrower over Thunderbolt until very recently when Silent Mobius suggested I try Thunder in order to hit stuff like Ho-Oh. I decided I didn’t want to risk the miss so I opted for Thunderbolt instead. The opportunity cost for this change was obviously one-shotting Ferrothorn, but I believe the amount of ground gained is greater than this loss. Also the EV spread is to provide as much additional bulk as possible while also, after being passed the Shell Smash, having the speed to creep Adamant Scarf Mega Rayquaza.

View attachment 163264Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 Def

- Judgment

- Fire Blast

- Stealth Rock

- Defog

This set is adapted from SashaTheMaster’s Arceus-Fairy set from his Smashpass team, except I’m running HP investment instead of Special Attack and am running Fire Blast over Earth Power. The reason for the former is that Arceus-Fairy isn’t a Pokémon I pass to much; its main purpose is to set up rocks, Defog opposing hazards, and get out and let Smeargle work. It’s also a nice disguise for Zoroark, luring in opposing Dusk Mane Necrozmas and either going for the Memento or dishing out a Foul Play. The reason I don’t run recover is as I previously stated: this Pokémon sets and gets rid of hazards and gets out of the way. I have the extra Fire Blast coverage in case I need to pass to this Pokémon at some point.

Yeah here’s the obvious one. Spectral Thief is an apparent threat to my team. Arceus-Fairy can potentially threaten Marshadow, but it isn’t a one-and-done cure, obviously. King’s Shield on Smeargle can take a Close Combat and cripple it for something else, but obviously switching out exists. Also, priority Shadow Sneak threatens the team in general. Last but certainly not least, the stupid Focus Sash Marshadow sets everybody and their mom runs on ladder make it really difficult for me to progress on said ladder.

Lead Deoxys-Speed on opposing Hyper Offense teams is a big burden for this team as well. Being a very fast Taunt user, it nullifies Zoroark, and it also forces me to lead Arceus-Fairy and risk losing my Defogger early. Hazards obviously threaten Smeargle and make its job as a Smashpasser a lot harder.

As I alluded to when talking about Marshadow, my team does not like priority, and Extreme Speed is rampant in the metagame. It is a staple on popular physical sweepers like Arceus and Mega Rayquaza. Dialga can take Extreme Speed, but if it’s gone, it can run through my team fairly efficiently. This is probably the least threatening of the notable threats I’m listening, but it is nevertheless a notable threat.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-868464755 (vs synoptic)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-868466301 (vs pulsar512b)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-868467609 (vs cherif18)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-868471520 (vs icemaster523)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-868611664 (vs Marsi/GRNxBLN)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-875834927 (vs GRNxGRO)

The replays here aren’t much, since I am really bad about saving replays, but they do showcase this team’s ability to beat a few decent and quality players.
Shout-outs (in part because I forgot to do this on Tenta Webs, so I’m gonna combine the two)

Dr13 – Underrated gem and great builder. Thanks for being a good guy and for recommending Focus Sash on Tentacruel on Tenta Webs

SashaTheMaster – Thanks for giving me the framework for a good Smashpass team.

Silent Mobus – Sold guy and great player. Thanks for giving me a hard mountain to climb on ladder both back then and now and for giving me mons advice along the way.

Skarpherim – I wish you didn’t have such an ego, but nevertheless, you’ve been a good dude to talk to about mons. Thanks for giving me advice on playing and building (even though sometimes your advice was pretty shitty, won’t lie).

MDB – For being a bitch.

RNGesus – Thank you for exposing me as a guy with pretty bad anger issues. I’ve spent many a moment mad and rage-driven because of you and your game robberies.
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- King's Shield
- Baton Pass

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Memento
- Roar

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Naughty Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Eruption
- Earthquake
- Dragon Pulse

Dialga @ White Herb
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Thank you all for reading this. As always, any constructive criticism is welcomed (but like with Tentacruel on Tenta Webs, I’m not getting rid of Zoroark). Have a blessed day, all, and remember: Chloe is lame for not liking Post Malone.
I'm in the replays!! YAY.

Tho tbh I'll probably take this to the spring seasonal at some point, since as you said, good anti-balance matchup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)