Monotype Immigrants

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion

Hello everyone, I am user: Wanka. The monotype scene has been pretty interesting over the past few months with the conclusion of mpl and the grind for MLT along with various other highly competitive events. During times of high competition like this I try my best to find ways to break the mold to adapt to the current meta. The team I will be presenting was a pleasant experiment in my endeavors to challenge the status quo. These recent times were fantastic for laddering and this team did fairly well considering the type I was using. I was able to maintain in the higher ladder portions and have fun with all of the competitive matchups I was getting during MLT and just in general. I did not make an attempt to compete in MLT, but the matchups were still enjoyable and it was interesting still to see how the meta has been slightly shifting here and there. Enjoy!

PROCESS:

1536899985063.png
Fantastic mon for breaking fatter builds and hole punching vs a lot of types
1536900121040.png
1536900148617.png
Cobalion is a nice versatile rocker with loads of utility and a nice steel typing for mono fighting
1536900206499.png
1536900212576.png
1536900223398.png
Needed a solid scarfer to revenge kill and keldeo is one of the premier scarfers for fighting and also fit my team the best as a scarfer
1536900306657.png
1536900311549.png
1536900316913.png
1536900332529.png
Terrakion is significantly more versatile in gen 7 and makes for a nice SD sweeper/hole puncher to also help break down fatter teams
1536900409871.png
1536900415908.png
1536900421355.png
1536900426841.png
1536900441834.png
Premier mega for fighting teams, access to SD and priority make it hard to pass up for fighting teams specifically
1536900519784.png
1536900527851.png
1536900540434.png
1536900545765.png
1536900550860.png
1536900570793.png
Loom adds a nice resistance to water and ground along with a massive attack stat and spore to help snag momentum

The Squad

1536900762914.png

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Flamethrower
- Taunt​

This is a set that I have shared already in the creative monotype sets thread, but no shame in going over it again. I got this from Trichotomy during MPL and I wanted to try it out on a fighting team since it was so good at breaking down bulkier builds, which favor the current meta. taunt shuts down phazers like mantine, toxapex, etc. who try and get rid of your boosts and wall you along with shutting down celesteela from being a pest with leech seed or toxic. Aside from getting past its checks, taunt is also nice for a HO type like fighting to prevent defog and keep rocks in play. This 3 move combo also provides good enough coverage for it to operate as a sweeper. The thing I like about this set is that it sacrifices lure potential vs offense, but really hits home at breaking down the relevant meta instead, which most people take for granted when using this mon.

1536901293673.png

Cobalion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast​

Cobalion is for sure the premier rocker for fighting teams however, you tend to see it in a more defensive light in order to take advantage of its handy steel typing. I decided to have it fulfill a more offensive role on this team though because I felt that it would do a pretty good job at wearing down similar checks to SD terrakion and SD gallade. Things like skarmory, celesteela, staraptor, garchomp, gliscor, etc. all want to be able to take on these mons and cobalion has the tools to help wear them down and help me clean up with its teammates. This set tends to throw people off because fighting moves are sort of uncommon on cobalion and can catch some offensive threats like diggersby and heatran as well as having that hp ice lure. At times not having the same amount of defensive utility that a standard cobalion would usually provide is noticeable but, the goal of this team is to be as fast paced as possible so it doesn't bother me much.

1536901990121.png

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Icy Wind

Keldeo is probably the most cookie cutter set on the team, but it fulfills a necessary role and fulfills it well. It acts as a solid revenge killer and a speedy cleaner late in games. I went for a middle ground in surf because I don't really care for scald on scarf keldeo as surf does more neutral damage to things like tapu koko, garchomp, and opposing gallade. I also just like hitting things like celesteela harder as well tbh. Secret sword is a solid fighting stab while hp elec and icy wind are good coverage options. hp electric stops gyarados in its tracks and can catch mantine on the switch while icy wind is nice for spamming vs dragon teams to slow everything down and set up opportunities for my sweepers. Again, nothing special here just a good mon fulfilling a role.

1536902465591.png

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

As I mentioned prior, terrakion gained a lot of versatility in gen 7. It can no longer be assumed to be scarf as SD sets punish a lot of opponents who play around it like it's a scarfer. Given the makeup of my team I was actually in need of a sash mon to help against offense and terrak actually does an ok job at carrying a sash for offensive threats and being a sweeper at the same time. its pretty easy to bluff a scarf and threaten out a mon weak to your stabs to be able to set up an sd on an incoming wall. From there you can go to town as terrak can sponge weak hits from walls and hole punch nicely. Having two taunt mons helps immensely to be able to keep rocks out of play because this sets utility does decrease when its sash is broken. Again, terrak works really well in conjunction with gallade and kommo to be able punish each other checks.

1536903011801.png

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak​

Gallade is the premier mega on fighting teams and for good reason. It can provide a multitude of sweeper sets from sd sets, to bulk up sets. Now, the general goal of this team is to be able to perform well in a meta dominated by balance and bulkier teams. However, I feel like this gallade set was necessary for my team even though I tend to not like using sneak whenever I use gallade. While the meta is balance heavy I still felt I should have a solid chance vs other common HO types that can give fighting trouble like electric, psychic, and dragon that are also common ladder types. SD sneak performs well vs all of these and is still able to support the team by wearing down common checks even though this set can end up being taken on by some walls. So even though I wouldn't say this is necessarily the best set when using mega gallade, it does fit my team very well and I never felt it would be beneficial in the long run to change it.

1536903452535.png

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spore​

I'm happy to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed using this set even though I was a little unsure as to how it would perform. Orb loom is such an annoyance for water teams it's insane. Bulky water has been very prevalent in the meta as of late and I didn't feel like a standard sash set would be the best way at combating that meta trend. Standard sets can get worn down easily against water teams, but this set can sponge weak scalds with ease and also doesn't care about t spikes, which is immensely useful against water teams. Against bulkier teams in general it has been pretty handy as nothing really enjoys an adamant focus punch after you gain momentum with spore. If you are able to find a safe opportunity to shoot off a spore against offensive teams it more than likely claims one as well, which adds a small niche vs that archetype as well. Not much else to say other than it was a savior in some of the games I played and I'm happy it got good use.

Conclusion

As I mentioned a few times earlier in the RMT, the general purpose of this team was to prepare for the more bulkier oriented meta that got created from the highly competitive MPL scene and also spilled over into MLT. You saw a lot of people sticking to their more reliable bulkier builds and I didn't really see people making a conscious effort to punish that mindset so I wanted to take advantage of that and find a way to use an an off meta type to punish it. Do I think Fighting has become a consistently reliable type to use at a high level? probably not. The type as a whole still struggles with a lot of threats that were introduced in gen 7 and can get some poor matchups vs the offensive side of the meta, but I found I was able to perform against reliable highly used types regardless of weaknesses and resistances in relation to the fighting type itself, which I'm very pleased about and it will show in the replays I came up with. Also figured I'd bring back some old memories from my roots with a fighting team. Hope you enjoyed!

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Flamethrower
- Taunt

Cobalion @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Icy Wind

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spore

s.o. woa and IW​

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)