imperfectluck and OmegaDonut (Un)do the Bible Belt - Nashville VGC 2009 Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Woah, what got him DQd?
IIRC, he had a bunch of PRNG'd Shinies, but I believe he was DQ'd for having multiple copies of the Grass Knot TM, which you can only get one of.

That's BS too - between trading and GTS cloning, it's very easy to get multiple copies of any TM.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IIRC, he had a bunch of PRNG'd Shinies, but I believe he was DQ'd for having multiple copies of the Grass Knot TM, which you can only get one of.

That's BS too - between trading and GTS cloning, it's very easy to get multiple copies of any TM.
Specifically he had my PRNG'd shinies - the ones that I used in Nashville.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Specifically he had my PRNG'd shinies - the ones that I used in Nashville.
Ah. Either way, it's still stupid.

I suppose it could always be worse though. At least they HAVE hack checks - there weren't any years ago. During the RBY days, I played in a few Stadium Tour events and Nintendo definitely didn't check for illegal stuff (at the very least, they never checked me.) It wouldn't have been much of a stretch to run into a 999x5 Mewtwo or Mew back then, 'cause both Ubers were allowed (and you could get a Mew at the event anyway)

Still, even if they fuck it up, I at least have to give the tourney organizers credit for trying to detect hacks.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Still, even if they fuck it up, I at least have to give the tourney organizers credit for trying to detect hacks.

Yeah, I guess that's true. But still. Those could have been totally legit?!?!?!

What happened to innocent until proven guilty!

I used a full team of RNG'd shinies at London and passed a rigorous hackcheck (in the aftermath of Illegal Blissey Guy). They came out fine, though labcoat man looked a bit awkward and told me the test had also said my game cart was fake, which was weird to say the least. He asked me where I got it from so I just answered I got it off play.com on the release date and he was k with that, disregarding the result as a side-effect of the other guy's hacking. Was true about how I got the game anyway. Then I heard nothing else of the 'fake game' allegation.

Oh and "innocent until proven guilty" is rubbish because all the chavs tell their mates to give them an alibi, and criminals intimidate witnesses into going along with their story, and so people get away with things that they shouldn't. =P

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's with the baby seat? The biggest mystery of all was never explained!

I saved this match because my opponent, Joseph, came perilously close to beating me. Battle recorder code is 59-62184-02833; youtube version courtesy of Magik0722.
He lead with Swampert and Kecleon. I suspected his Swampert would Protect, and lo and behold, it did. But Infernape broke its Protect with Feint and Metagross blew up, taking out Swampert. Kecleon held a Focus Sash, though, and used Trick Room.

Spiritomb replaced his fallen Swampert. It suddenly occurs to me that Kecleon just might have Rock Slide, which would take out Infernape even if Togekiss used Follow Me. And if Togekiss was going to use Extremespeed, it couldn’t keep Spiritomb from fainting Infernape. So Infernape goes back to the safety of his Pokeball while I replace it with the sturdier Cresselia. Kecleon went down to Extremespeed, but – to my horror – Spiritomb starts to Calm Mind.

This is the point I start thinking “why oh why did I NOT train a Curselax?”

His last Pokémon was Weezing, who burned Cresselia and Togekiss. It eventually went down to Air Slash and Shadow Ball. But his Spiritomb managed to accumulate about 4 CMs, meaning nobody on my team could really touch him damage-wise, except for Infernape which had Blaze-boosted Heat Wave. But I had to get him in safely first. Here Togekiss really proved its worth as the best Follow Me user and support: Air Slash flinchhaxxed it three turns in a row, sacrificing Cresselia to burn damage and giving Infernape a free turn to switch in, at which point it finished off the ~25% Spiritomb with Heat Wave. (2-0)

After the battle, I acknowledged to the announcer’s microphone that Joseph really deserved to win, and that luck saved me in this battle. It was the least I could do for him.
I saved the match too! It was a fun match, but it was sad to lose! I've got a new Tricky team if you want to try it sometime. I'm really considering keeping Fudgie on, but it's been losing lately. The Platinum/HGSS tutor moves are catching up to me, I guess. >>;

Sorry for the necro, but my buddy showed me this, and it was pretty cool to be mentioned in such a way. :D

And if you don't believe me, I still have my team sheet. ;0

nice story 10/10 i wonder if your gf's assumption was right lmao. readin this story made me wish i did vgc's. sounds fun

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice story. Man you guys are crazy - I'm too embarrassed even to buy a 4th Gen pokemon game.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
I laughed out loud at this warstory. I thought the car trip was funny and all of the n00bs at the tournament made me laugh. Good Luck to both of you.

After reading the warstory, I realize that I battled Josh in the first round (My CS DV Smeargle missed Zapdos with the 'void and got CH'd out of the game. Things went downhill from there). I also believe I met Steve and Matt, and talked with them before the tournament. But my brother and I left (we had things to do at home) shortly after I lost.

It's a little late, but congradulations on winning the Nashville Regional.

I guess one of the best moment, back at the event, would be when the judges (and everyone else who ain't part of Smogon) saw those RNG'd pokemons. Priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)