Approved Implementing Nature Mints - default all Pokemon to an "original Serious Nature"

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
With the introduction of Nature Mints, it now is possible for any Pokemon to change their stats to benefit from any nature in the game, while retaining their current nature. For example: Lonely Snorlax uses a Adamant Nature Mint. Now, Snorlax still has the Lonely Nature, but for the purposes of stat calculation, it uses the Adamant Nature.

There is still one mechanic dependent on a Pokemon's original nature, however: the super Sitrus Berries (Figy / Iapapa / Wiki / Aguav / Mago). Because a Nature Mint does not change the Pokemon's original nature, a Pokemon can still become confused from eating a Berry that would have confused its original nature. For example, that same Snorlax with an original nature of Lonely, minted to Adamant, will not be confused by a Wiki Berry, but will be confused by an Iapapa Berry. As a result, it seems to me that Serious / Quirky / Hardy / Docile / Bashful natures are always the optimal nature choice, and then a player would mint to the nature that they really wanted for the purposes of stat calculation. This is because a Pokemon would never be confused as a result of Bug Bite, Trick, Pickup, or other methods of retrieving Berries if their original nature was a neutral nature.

As a result, I would like to propose an additional field to the Showdown teambuilder and import/export: Original Nature. "Original Nature" would indicate the nature of the Pokemon pre-Mint. "Nature" would indicate the nature of the Pokemon post-Mint (what we normally mean by nature). This would be necessary to account for certain event Pokemon like Eruption Heatran or Shiny Genesect in National Pokedex formats (I assume there's something legal in actual formats that would be relevant post-Home too). It'd go something like this:

An event mon using a Nature mint:

Heatran (F) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Original Nature: Quiet
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

A typical Pokemon with an implied Original Nature of Serious:

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Protect

Then, when Showdown checks during a battle for whether or not a Pokemon should be confused from eating a super Sitrus Berry, in Generation 8, it checks against the Original Nature. (Of course, pre-Generation 8, you'd still just check against Nature).

We implement a sort of convenience feature in this way with 0 Attack IVs on special Attackers, and I would argue it's even more objective that every Pokemon would prefer a Serious Nature minted to the nature they really want for purposes of stat calculation so they can dodge any chances of getting inflicted with confusion. I can't think of any detriment Serious, etc. natures would have. The only benefit of being confused is Tangled Feet, but in any case, I'm proposing this be a selectable option in the teambuilder, probably in the section with Gender/Shininess/Happiness etc. So if someone really wants to use a Pokemon with an original Nature of Timid and intentionally confuse themselves after eating a Figy Berry, they are free to do so.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Wouldn't it be easier to just make pinch berries assume your using serious + mint and not confuse ever?
It doesn't account for Nature-locked Pokemon that can't be Serious, like the given examples of Eruption Heatran which is Nature-locked to Quiet.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use the correct pinch berry?
Bug Bite is a common example that came up frequently in VGC matches with Araquanid / Scizor, to the point where it was pretty much optimal to use Wiki Berry where you could to make sure you had the best chances of confusing them. Doubles OU had a similar thing with using Mago Berries to potentially confuse Hoopa-U while it was still popular.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
In that case it might be better to add it to the end of packed strings like with hidden power stuff and pokeballs type (unused currently).

Sorry to necro bump, but seeing as this approved suggestion hasn’t been implemented in 4 years, I think we ought to revisit it in a way that’s easier to implement. I understand that certain Pokémon are nature locked and thus can’t be assumed to have a neutral nature that’s been Minted to whatever the player has specified. However, we don’t necessarily need that to be stored in the set data, at least not client-side. On validation, if the validator finds the Pokémon’s disliked flavor needs to be a certain one for legality reasons it can just silently set that like it does Hidden Power, except without sending anything back to the client about it. The only issue would be if a Pokémon is locked to a handful of natures that include multiple different disliked flavors and a neutral nature isn’t an option. I don’t know if any such Pokémon exists, but perhaps in that case we could simply fall back on our current less-than-totally accurate behavior. That would at least greatly minimize our inaccuracy in most cases if any such exceptions even exist at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)